Twitter update! And something for us all to chew over today as I continue with my Sister Weekend (did you know Hasee To Phasee on Amazon does not have subtitles? Because ErosNOW is THE WORST????)
So, here’s the thing. Karan is constantly getting trolled for all kinds of reasons. Mostly gay bashing. And very rarely he will hit back, just wakes up one morning feeling like “enough! I’m saying something.”
I am sure it must be very frustrating for him, all these anonymous people get to make clever comments insulting him, and he can’t say anything in return because it would be punching down instead of punching up.
I am thrilled when he, very rarely, breaks free and speaks back to the gaybashing. But I am slightly more torn about him hitting back at people making clever comments on his casting of Takht and general nepotism, along with a random defense of another one of his films.
- Is it mean for him to hit back at unknown people since he is a celebrity?
- Is it ultimately shooting himself in the foot since it just gives more attention to the trolls he replies to?
- Is he really just doing this because all publicity is good publicity for his movie?
Oh, and then the last one is different from the others, not promoting an upcoming movie but just defending an older one.
In other twitter news, Shahrukh tweeted an adorable little video of the team he sponsored to go to the international children’s Cricket competition. It’s transparent publicity, both for the Meer Foundation (=SRK doing good things) and Kolkata Knight Riders who co-sponsored.
It’s also of course a very good thing to do which I am sure Shahrukh would do anyway, in fact has down countless similar charitable acts in his long career, simply because he felt it was a good thing to do. But the difference is, this time he is talking about it, branding it with the Meer Foundation and KKR.
How do we feel about that?
- Is it good that Shahrukh is finally being public about his charity so people can understand how wonderful he is?
- Is it sad that he feels the need to go public because he is so much under attack?
- Is this going to backfire because people will think it is just for publicity and not realize he has done the same thing over and over again for 25 years but not talked about it before?