I had a 7am phone call at work this morning, meaning I left home at 6:30am, meaning I am not thinking super straight right now and deep thinking is not going to be happening today. So I’m gonna start off a Shahrukh discussion post and hope you all can think for me.

What have you watched and thought “this is good, but I’m really curious how Shahrukh would have played that role”?

It can be a Hindi movie, Tamil, Telugu, anything. Even Hollywood. And it doesn’t necessarily mean you hated the actual performance, just that you are curious how Shahrukh would have played it. Doesn’t have to be just movies either, miniseries and stuff are allowed too.

For instance, I just watched Good Omens, and I would love to see what Shahrukh would have done with the Crowley character. I feel like he could have handled the “fighting against my essential nature torn up by unexpected love” aspect really well, and also we know he looks good in black with sunglasses.

Image result for good omens crowley

Or, here’s an interesting thought experiment, what if the roles in Kal Ho Na Ho were reversed? Shahrukh would have to play slightly older than Saif, but that might even work well for the character, a late bloomer who is still struggling with confidence and identity and getting a bit desperate for a love connection as he nears 35, Preity doesn’t take him seriously partly because of the age difference and he only thinks of her as a friend for the same reason, until Saif shows up and pushes the issue by being the perfect age appropriate option.

Image result for kal ho na ho

What other roles can you think of that you would like to think about with Shahrukh?

44 thoughts on “Shahrukh Summer Discussion Post: Which Movie Roles From Other Actors Would We Like to See Him Play?

1. It’s low hanging fruit but, I would have liked to see his take on Star Trek Into Darkness’ Khan Noonien Singh. Now, I like Benedict Cumberbatch but….he was no Khan. In the original series, the character was played by the gorgeous, physically imposing Ricardo Montalban. Mr Cumberbatch is not gorgeous. Nor does he fit the ideal of a mixed race superman. SRK, with his mercurial energy, could have pulled it off. He may not be a big man but he can certainly bring a strong intimidation factor to his roles. (See Dilwale – the scene in the hospital corridor when he morphs from a worried big brother into a very dangerous gangster.)
    Oh, pet peeve. There are a lot of rumors that 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea will be remade by Disney. I have no quarrel with the old 1954 movie with Jame Mason as Captain Nemo – people didn’t know any better back then. In his sequel, The Mysterious Island, Nemo is revealed to be from the south of India and very anti-British. This is a chaarcter who should/must be played by an Indian actor! And SRK would be perfect! Oh well, maybe Mr Cumberbatch has an opening in his schedule….

• Oh, I would have LOVED that casting in Star Trek! the other part of the character is that he is supposed to be a lot older than the rest of the cast, aged and bitter and living in the past. Shahrukh at age 50 could really sink his teeth into that feeling of being smarter and better than everyone else, but missing his chance.

If Nemo is bitter and southern, Rajinikanth would be AWESOME!!!! He’s got that angry proletariat smarter than everyone but with no chances kind of vibe.

2. How about Kayser Szosa from the Usual Suspects? Ooh, or young Shah Rukh in John Cusack’s role from Say Anything. Or John Cusack in Grosse Point Blank would be fun.

One Spanish role: Antonio Banderas un Almodóvar’s Second Skin. So creepy, with a gender bend twist.

I’d love to see him as a Bond villain, someone seductive and complicated like Bardem’s Raoul Silva from Skyfall.

• Kayser Soze would be tricky, because it’s supposed to be someone you kind of overlook, right? And I don’t know if Shahrukh is capable of limiting himself in a way to be overlooked. On the other hand, love the idea of Grosse Point Blank! Especially if we change it to make everyone 50-ish. Can you imagine a 30 year college reunion setting instead, with Tabu (or Juhi or Rani or Madhuri) as his ex-girlfriend who was married and then widowed? And Irrfan Khan as his old best friend from college running around trying to help him?

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 8:40 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Grosse Point Blank is perfect for an Indian adaptation. The Minnie Driver role needs to be comedic, believably innocent, but also good at action when the time comes – Kajol comes to mind, actually, or maybe Rani. (Preity in a comeback? IDK.) I don’t know about Irrfan in a screwball action comedy, much as I would love to see them together again. Maybe Vinay Pathak from RNBDJ as the friend and Akshaye Khanna or Ajay Devgan as the rival? The rival is hilarious and a nice, juicy part to play.

• Akshaye as the rival would be great! I love him playing slightly over the top types.

Vinay Pathak doesn’t feel quite right to me, too sincere somehow. Arshad Warsi?

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 9:40 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I don’t think I know Arshad but I trust your judgment. Jeremy Piven made me think of Abhay Deol but he’s too young.

• I don’t think I know Arshad Warsi but I trust your judgment. Jeremy Piven made me think of Abhay but he’s too young.

What about Maddy? Or are we not casting him anymore?

• Maybe Maddy, but I worry about him over-shadowing SRK. Feeling too much like a co-hero instead of a comic side-kick.

Is Saif too obvious?

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 6:53 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I kind of want more for Saif right now than the buddy role. Rooting for him at this stage, maybe because of his Sacred Games character? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• I don’t care what you say, you’re not going to make me watch season 2 of Sacred Games! I just had a question on the Monday post about it too, and Netflix keeps pushing it on me, and I just have no interest. Or, like, the anti-interest. Maybe that’s why I am doing woman’s week? The ads alone have thrown me back to the male-male feel of it and I crave femininity?

Back to casting, would it be too weird to have Anupam in the role? He’s only a few years older than Shahrukh, and we could put in dialogue about how he went bald prematurely and everyone always thought they were father and son.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 9:33 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Ha! I haven’t started S2 if Sacred Games either. The good news for you, if Netflix is true to their rumored policy, all the shows are two seasons and done now.

Anupam just has so many years of being dad. I don’t know if I could buy him as the hometown buddy who never went anywhere.

What do you think of Sanjay Dutt? Loveable but capable of helping to hide a dead body?

• Oh please let their not be any more seasons of Sacred Games! although that would be tricky, since it is based on a book so cutting the story off at a random point means you are missing part of the story.. Oh well, it’s Netflix, they can do whatever they want.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 11:30 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. How about Shahrukh in Breathe? He can be broken cop but also take Madhavan’s part and be the killer dad. Yes, he as the killer and Maddy as the cop.

4. This might be too “on the nose”, but how about SRK in Leo DiCaprios role in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood? A once famous actor now dealing with a changing industry structure and generational taste changes in movies and in basically everything (from heightened fun to cynical realism). Tarentino’s long languid indulgent takes & closeups with the actors would be a virtual playground for an actor-y actor like SRK, and at the same time force him to curb his extroverted acting tendencies. It’s Tarantino himself who’s the extrovert here, so all the actors have to ever so slightly underplay their roles to strike that balance.
    I envision John Abraham for Brad Pitt’s role, but if we aim for an agemate (ala Leo & Brad), we could go for Ajay or possibly Akshay. Salman is the obvious choice but somehow I don’t see him being this quiet. Nah, I’ll stick with John, then Ajay.
    I kinda would love to see SRK in any Tarantino movie, even in a showy role.

• Have to admit I haven’t seen Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. And I’d probably like it, I really like Tarantino as a director and a writer. But from what I have heard, I think you are right. And I’d like to see Shahrukh with someone who he is close with in reality. Which means Salman, so we get that honest feel of two guys who have known each other a long long time. Ajay wouldn’t work as well since they just aren’t as comfortable together. Hrithik looks too different from him. Abhishek would be good and bad for the same reasons. Does Shahrukh just not befriend people who are the same height as him? OH! What about Mohammend Zeeshan Ayyub? I am more impressed with him in every film I see, and they had great natural immediate chemistry in Raees.

But mostly I am really struck by your comment about Tarantino directing Shahrukh. You’re right! Tarantino has those lovely monologue set piece scenes, and monologues are where Shahrukh really shines. He had some great ones in Dear Zindagi, light and serious and touching, and he has a couple great speeches right at the end of JHMS, but he hasn’t gotten to do a real monologue type thing in aaaaaages. Remember the radio show scene in Dil Se? I would love to see Tarantino string together a whole series of scenes like that and put Shahrukh at the center.

On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 9:23 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• While it does have monologues, Once upon a time in Hollywood is actually full many silent scenes and nonverbal takes, sometimes in solo scenes in a car or a room. In this way it’s more like Kill Bill than his other movies. But Brad and especially Leo do a lot of layered evolving acting within those scenes, and the scenes are long enough to give you a chance to really experience their emotions. Tarantino is really an actors’ director that way, giving them camera time to do their work. But it only works if the actor is really skilled, kinda like acapella singing only works with a very good singer. We get that in smaller doses from SRK in song sequences from jhms like hawwaiyen and yaadon mein, for example. Aside from SRK, sonakshi sinha is really good at emoting a silent scene, and expressing internalized thoughts over time within a scene. So put them both in a Tarantino film. They don’t have to be love interests or even have many scenes together.

• Oh wow, YES! I never thought about Shahrukh and Sonakshi together, but you are very right about their non-verbal acting. I would throw in Ajay Devgan too, just for kicks. When he isn’t being lazy, he is remarkable at non-verbal acting and long takes.

And jumping off your acapella example, I would say both acapella and long take acting rely on having a really good natural instrument but also a ton of training and practice. Right? You can get by on charm and showmanship without a lot of natural talent or experience if you are doing a conversation scene in a film, or a song with instruments behind you, but remove the crutches of other actors and fast edits and stuff, and problems are gonna show up.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 11:32 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Not KHNH, no! That character only works (that too barely) because it’s SRK. I feel we gave him a lot of leeway at that time which we wouldn’t to any other actor, because Aman is just not likable most of the time. Yet everyone in the film and the audience just loooved him!

• I could absolutely see that! If we started with the Saif role, a silly boy who dreams of love but is a terrible flirt. And actually showed the diary was written about Preity. And then Aman is the cameo, the exciting stranger. Saif/Shahrukh struggles with jealousy and understanding his feelings, comes to understand how deeply he loves Preity, prepares to propose to her, learns she loves Saif/Shahrukh, woos her anyway, and then learns Saif/Shahrukh is dying.

• Yeah that works! Recasting ideas usually don’t occur to me but since I’m watching it right now, I wonder how would SRK play Saif’s (hah!) role in Sacred Games? It’s such an internal role, he goes through a lot but keeps things suppressed, only occasionally letting emotions show. Saif’s great but SRK could have done a different but really good take on it. Somewhat like Harry in JHMS, showing all the pain and bitterness without saying much.

• I’ve only seen season 1 (and you can’t make me watch season 2 no matter what you do!) but I would like to have seen SRK’s take for the same reasons you mention, the internal pain and bitterness. More than that, I would like to see if he could play the “loser” feel of it. Not a tragic loser but a real sadsack type who slowly rediscovers his dignity.

6. I don’t remember, did you not like S1? You reviewed it, right? I quite enjoyed S1 at the time but neither felt the need to rewatch it nor was eager for S2. S2 started slow, but the latter episodes are going bonkers and now I have to finish it!
    Had another recasting idea! I don’t think you’ve watched the series ‘The Americans’? It’s about a Russian spy couple who live as an American husband and wife during the Cold War and carry on espionage. Their children have no idea about their identity – just normal middle class parents! But they’re actually badasses – wearing disguises, murdering in cold blood, honeytrapping. In disguise, they get to play characters who can blend in without attracting attention or use their sexuality to lure their target. The best thing is both of them have to do this, separately or together! Both actor and actress are phenomenal! They’re dream roles for anyone but I’m imagining a bit younger SRK as the husband.
    Anyway I would totally recommend watching it as it’s as much a story of their marriage as it is a very effective spy thriller. Six seasons, each better than the other (wouldn’t have thought possible)! Watching it felt like being engrossed in a book and that’s the highest compliment I can give.

• Season 1 was fine, Saif’s performance was great, it’s just that by the end of the season everything was feeling very repatative. Especially since every female character ended up dead or sidelined in some way by the plot. And now season 2 is out and I just have no interest in it.

Yes I watched The Americans! I still have to watch the final season, but I’ve seen all the others. I like the Shahrukh idea, the character is slightly softer and more loving and open than the wife and I think Shahrukh could play that well, being the caring one in the relationship and then cutting off the emotion when he has to work. But who could play the wife? Someone seemingly closed off but with her heart waking up inside? Maybe Rani, but I’m not sure.

• Sushmita Sen!! There are a lot of action scenes too which I can’t see Rani pulling off and Sush can play the honey trap role too.
        I can picture it already. They started off as an arranged couple, steely and reserved, get into lots on the side, and gradually fall for each other – the husband is more open and wears his heart on his sleeve.. it would be perfect for SRK.
        There’s a very creepy subplot where the husband has to seduce a very young girl (in order to get to her father) and he feels really conflicted and reluctant but does it anyway – that would be perfect for Alia.

7. Hmmm…

I would have loved to see him play the lead role in (in no particular order):

– No Country for Old Men (Anton Chigur)
    – Scarface (Toni Montana)
    – Breaking Bad (as Walter White)
    – Marnie
    – James Bond (especially the old ones from the 60s and 70s as well as the villain in Skyfall)
    – Silence of the Lambs (a handsome Hannibal Lecter…)
    – Castaway
    – Fatal Attraction
    – Batman (the Joker)
    – Secret Window
    – Falling Down
    – The Count of Monte Christo
    – Lord of the Rings (Aragorn!)

• You are going for such dark roles! Well, except Castaway. That’s an interesting idea, letting Shahrukh just be by himself for most of the movie. There was an Indian film similar to that last year, a one actor film Trapped but it had Rajkummar Rao instead of Shahrukh.

There was also already a Silence of the Lambs remake, with Akshay playing Hannibal Lector and he was innocent and had an actual romance with Clarice. So very different!

I think The Conte of Monte Cristo is the idea that intrigues me the most! It would be age appropriate for one thing. And easy to translate the plot, just make Shahrukh a young soldier set up to be captured by the Pakistanis by his best friend, escaping prison decades later. And that flamboyent with a hidden revenge grey character kind of role would be perfect for him. Would you do the book version where his old girlfriend is evil and he falls in love with a young woman who is the daughter of a friend, or the most recent film version where his old girlfriend had reasons for what she did and they reunite?

On Thu, Aug 22, 2019 at 11:29 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Very true, not sure why I picked so many dark roles. I think I like him a lot in more complex, troubled / dark roles. My (current) favorites are Dil Se, Darr, and Devdas. Okay, at the very top are also JHMS and of course My Name is Khan, both arguably not dark roles per se, but troubled for sure.

While I haven’t seen too many movies yet, I feel like the ones I’ve seen so far have shown me that he’s a superbly capable actor, almost chameleon like, should the script allow for it. I didn’t see SRK in My Name is Khan. Nor did I see SRK in Devdas. At all. And you have to be an artist of the highest order to be able to do that in such a convincing way (imo). I feel for that reason I’ve probably listed some of these roles because a lot of them require an actor to completely vanish and transcend.

As for the Count of Monte Christo, I actually like the (not sure if it’s the third adaptation) version from 1975. It’s with Richard Chamberlain. I feel SRK could probably pull it off better than Chamberlain did because the role does lend itself to a more passionate / dramatic performance style and Chamberlain is known to be super subtle. The movie itself is nicely made though and I feel like SRK would be highly convincing in it.

• Interesting about your take on Shahrukh as an actor. He tends to be dismissed as always playing the same thing in the Indian press. I vehemently disagree with that, and I am thrilled that an unprejudiced newcomer also sees him as an actor first and foremost. If you haven’t seen Fan yet, his performance in that is just mindblowingly good.

And now I am all excited about SRK as the Count of Monte Christo! In the movie version I am most familiar with, he forgives Mercedes and they reunite. But it looks like in this one and in the book, he never forgives her and she leaves. I think I might really like that, can you imagine how juicy a scene would be between Shahrukh and Madhuri or Aish as his old lover who they have just grown too far apart? And then there can be a second young woman who is his trusted assistant and confidant and he ends up with her once they get past the age gap.

• Yes and yes!
            In the movie I am referencing he is extremely bitter as a whole, he has never been able to forgive anyone, including the live of his life. He’s full of ego and self import and he makes sure to let everyone feel just what it is they have done to him. It would be so fantastic if Shah Rukh would take on a role like this. There’s this one scene in Dilwale (haven’t seen the whole movie yet) but after they see one another again after 1.5 decades, there are two or three
            scenes where he confronts Kajol that show a bitter Shah Rukh. They are so super intense that I immediately thought what it would be like if he played a character who was like he showed in those scenes for an entire movie.
            I haven’t a clue why some people don’t see (or don’t want to see) his versatility as an actor. It’s pretty much impossible to ignore. He makes me cry, he makes me root for him even when he is being a complete arse, he makes me go through all kinds of emotions. When I watched Dil Se, I was stuck thinking about it for days. The same happened with Devdas. And again the same happened with MNiK. It was nothing short of a tour de force of acting in those and they were anything but easy roles. I doubt anyone else could have done them much better. He changes his body language, his phonetics, his facial expressions, absolutely everything. And his ability to cry. How can one not be in awe? Even if you don’t like him, those skills should be honored.
            Sorry for these messy posts, typing from my phone.

• Oh, Dilwale is a fun one! Get Netflix if you don’t have it already, he made a big deal with them to sell all his movie rights. If you have Netflix, you have his whole filmography at your fingertips. And if you like bitter SRK, Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna is where it’s at.

What about a Monte Christo movie where he is bitter and angry and successful in his revenge, but then gets distracted actually helping someone and starts to be torn between his anger and holding on to his past life, versus looking at the future and building something? Like, first half is bitterness and anger and vengeance and then a switch at the interval and he is torn between emotions in the second half? Before finally succeeding in all his vengeance and discovering he is ready to start a new life with someone new.

• I only have access to Netflix Germany and they do not have his entire catalogue, unfortunately. They have about a dozen movies at most. That’s okay though as I intend on buying all DVDs anyway.

Yes, Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna is wonderful! And so is Chalte, Chalte. I have watched both of these and really, really like them. I need to watch them a few times more though, but upon first viewing they were great.

The more dichotomies, the better. Yeah, like the classic Greek Drama build-up, that’d be very cool to observe. Perhaps leaving it open-ended (French style)?

• Okay, I am totally writing this movie for tomorrow’s FanFic post. I think I figured out how to make it work, what if he rescues some young woman as part of his revenge and she sees him as this kind sensitivities savior type and won’t be convinced that he is “bad” no matter how much he tells her? And then the question is, will he live up to her vision of him as a great hero, or down to his own vision of himself as an angry broken evil man out for revenge?

Oh, and for your DVD choices, I did a few posts going through SRKs entire filmography. There’s not a lot of information on each movie, but I know sometimes websites are just totally wrong, at least this list is accurate: https://dontcallitbollywood.com/2017/05/30/hindi-film-101-one-off-a-tour-through-shahrukhs-filmography/

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 5:20 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• So, basically a more fleshed out Harry met Sejal version with more intensity and emotional volatility? I’d be down for that!

Okay, thank you for those. I did list all the movies I want from IMDB a few weeks ago and am kind of working my way through that list. I got Duplicate in the mail, I think. I didn’t see any streaming services offer that one, so I am trying to get the lesser known once via DVD first. I think I also ordered Baadshah because I almost lay under the table after watching the police women video. Gosh, that’s one of the most ridiculous things I’ve ever seen. I love it! It’s brilliant.

• PS: Going to check out your list as well. Maybe there’s something I need to see much earlier than I initially thought I would.

• Koyla!!!!! Somehow it’s never on the “good” list of Shahrukh films, but it’s really great. It’s a straight up action movie, he plays the tough country boy hero, the songs are great, and it has Madhuri.

On Sat, Aug 24, 2019 at 5:41 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

8. Oh, I forgot something that I would love the most; I’d love to see him portray a convincing gay character. Or bi. An LGBQT+ character of some sort. I wouldn’t want it to be a comedy. I’d want it to be in a serious tone like MNiK or in a casual tone, where his sexual orientation isn’t the topic and treated as a complete non-issue, even if that isn’t true for India at this point in time (and too many other places in the world, obviously).