Saturday Small Talk: Talk Hrithik and Tiger While I Sleep In

Happy Saturday! I had a wonderful party last night, 6 friends came over, 14 samosas were eaten, and one bowl of popcorn. And I stayed up way way too late and am sleeping in today.

Really just one thing to talk about today. Hrithik versus Tiger! We finally have a song with both of them! Tiger does his usually jumping jacks, but to my mind Hrithik’s subtle grace is easily superior. And as to who has the better face/body? Please! Hrithik by a mile!!!!

Okay, now you can all disagree or agree with me as much as you want, I’m staying in bed.

29 thoughts on “Saturday Small Talk: Talk Hrithik and Tiger While I Sleep In

1. I think Tiger is the better dancer technically, but Hrithik’s charisma and grace draws the attention. In terms of looks, Hrithik all the way. Both have great bodies.

• Hmm. I would even say Hrithik is the better dancer technically, more that Tiger is younger and more physically capable. In their intros, Tiger comes out with big leaps, but Hrithik comes out with this really funky complex footwork. Big leaps are hard with muscles and stuff, but the foot work is the one you need skill for. I don’t know what the term would be for what Tiger can do. Athletic? Something like that.

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 7:35 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Is this our anything-goes-thread or specific to Hritik / Tiger? I feel it’s the latter, but want to make sure so as not to derail this post.

3. Sorry if it was already discussed, but I read Drive won’t have theatrical release and it will go to Netflix directly. Sushant’s fans I follow on twitter, are angry with Karan for deciding this but I think he is not stupid and knows the movie is not good enough. I feel like watching it just to see how it is, and who is right.

• I’ve been wanting to watch it for a while, an action Sushant film from Dharma sounds super fun. But I also agree with you that Karan is too smart to give it a streaming release unless there is something really wrong with it. Maybe I will wait for you to watch it and report.

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 3:13 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• So many Deols!

Dharmendra has two acting sons, Sunny and Bobby, and one acting daughter Esha. And Abhay, his nephew. Esha is married and retired, Sunny and Bobby are still chugging along, Abhay does random stuff that interests him, and now Sunny is launching his son in a movie named for one of Dharmendra’s biggest hits. The Deol family tradition is that they produce your launch film, and then you are on your own. Sunny and Bobby both did great post-launch, Abhay ditto, even Esha had a decent run. I suspect Sunny’s son will NOT be doing that well post launch based on the lack of buzz around this movie, I’ll be curious to see if the Deols break with tradition and help him out post launch.

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 3:22 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. The thing I’ve noticed about grown-up Hrithik is that when he dances his movements – steps, head turn, tilt of the shoulders – are precise and exactly on beat/on mark, but he’s so relaxed and graceful it looks effortless. Like in Ghungroo, he’s perfectly blended with the ensemble dancers, and his toe touches down exactly on beat every time, but he looks like he’s just grooving. Him and Tiger in this song, they’re both really good and beautiful to watch. Tiger is more acrobatic (drum dance is super cool). Hrithik is just grooving along effortlessly. From a dance standpoint, Hrithik, Tiger, and Vaani in one movie is kind of a dream team. This isn’t the kind of movie I’d normally go watch in the theater, but the dance offs are tempting me.

• Been saying this the entire time but I would be way more interested in this film if it was a regular dance movie about two brothers or something because Vaani, Hrithik, and Tiger are all great dancers

• Oh, I love this description of mature Hrithik! I think it’s true for a lot of dancers? As they age, their bodies can’t do the spectacular stuff any more, but they just get better and better with the other parts.

On Sat, Sep 21, 2019 at 3:36 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. So when two people are dancing ,do your eyes drift unknowingly to one in particular and then the other just fades into the background? If you watch Rowdy Baby,only SaiPallavi registers and Dhanush is barely seen. Same way,I saw only Hritik in this. His movements are very effortless and precise with the perfect expressions,natural energy and attitude. Everything is in perfect sync. Tiger,Katrina etc are very athletically agile and flexible,by which they can do lot of (complicated) movements but that doesn’t make them graceful dancers but more like gymnasts going through the motions of it.

• Yes, absolutely that is what happens to me watching the two of them together. You know what it is? When I watch Tiger, I feel like I am watching a series of moves. But when I watch Hrithik, I feel like I am watching dancing. I don’t eve notices the individual movements, it’s all just a graceful flow.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 4:14 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. A decade ago I found Hrithik very acrobtic in his dancing (and – in no negative way – repetitive)…now, it’s Tiger who showcases his acrobatic dancing abilities while Hritihik has slightly changd his performances. Still, I agree, that Hrithik’s footwork is more elaborated.

Having written this, I still prefer ShahRukh’s expressive and sensual dancing…and his lovingly ‘imperfection’. For me, he seems to me the most willing one to adapt to the wishes of the choreographer.

7. I’m going to be the cheese who stands alone and say that I think Hrithik is moving like someone who is in pain or is having some kind of limitation on his movement. I’m not a fan of Tiger but I don’t think Hrithik moves well in this. It made me more convinced that something is going on that hasn’t been disclosed to the public. Also look at how his dancing is cut. Used to be you’d get long uncut shots of him dancing but not here.

• I will slightly agree with you. I still think Hrithik is the better dancer and moves better. But I agree that the edits are weird, like they are trying to hide something. And they definitely gave Hrithik the less physically demanding moves.

8. How is this not more homoerotic? I also hate the way this is edited, because the cutting and the speed adjustments make it look like they are hiding that Tiger can’t dance, when he can, in fact, dance. They might be hiding Hrithik’s dancing, but then why extend it to Tiger?

• At least it’s a little bit homoerotic! The way Tiger is gazing adoringly at Hrithik gives us something.

I am going to assume/hope that it is just chopped up like this because it is the 2 minute trailer version and the full movie song is 4 minutes.

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 11:39 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

9. Hrithik’s movements are so much more fluid. He is definitely a far better dancer. I could not even focus on Tiger. But I agree with Alisa and you that his cuts are weird and they are trying to hide that he was injured going into this movie. Hrithik also mentioned that he only had two months after Super 30 to get ready for this role and was recovering from a torn right ankle, sprained left ankle, and a thorasic slip disc. He was gaining weight and losing muscle, which is clear given that Tiger is shirtless but Hrithik has a shirt on in the trailer and the songs. What annoys me is why not give Hrithik more time to bulk up, especially when he is going against Tiger, and a movie with Hrithik and Tiger is all about the abs and dancing. I want to ogle at a shirtless dancing Hrithik dammit! It has been far too long and I can also watch Bang Bang so many times.

• Well that’s ridiculous, it is impossible to have a limit on how many times you can watch Bang Bang!

On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 10:04 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

10. Tiger is a great dancer and weirdly he has NO charisma. You watch him and think, “oh wow” how did he do that?” or “that’s amazing” but you don’t feel anything. I think it is because there is no sex appeal at all. It would be tempting to say it is because he is gay, but that wouldn’t be fair. Many many gay men ooze sex appeal and whoever wants to receive it can. I feel like his whole career has been in many ways manufactured. I wish there were a livelier dance scene in Mumbai. He would have been an extraordinary ballet dancer…

• Yes, I agree with all of this!!!!!

In the full movie, he has amazing sexual chemistry with Hrithik, but that is more about Hrithik forcing the chemistry on him, the way some actors can do, like when Shahrukh makes Aish feel sexy and human. I’ve never felt anything in the other movies I’ve seen him in. It’s all athletic ability and no charm.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 2:58 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: