Saturday Small Talk: Chat Away While I Prepare for a Busy Week!

Happy Saturday! I have such a busy week and so I am going to enjoy a lazy Saturday, at least as much as I can.

Tomorrow I have Sunday School, Monday my sister and The Baby arrive in town and I host the church quilting group, she stays until Wednesday, Wednesday night I go to see War again (maybe, depending on the schedule and my friend’s availability), Thursday night I set my alarm for 2am and watch and write about the Letterman Special, and Friday I have a Halloween party. Phew!

Jack-o'-Lantern Halloween Drop Earrings
My traditional Halloween costume is “me, but with Halloween earrings”. Should I get these? They are nice, right?

My theory is, I store up laziness today to make up for all the lazy time I won’t have the rest of the week. That makes sense, right?

This also means I will miss out on seeing Housefull 4, which is kind of secretly disappointing. So I like stupid sex comedies! So sue me! Unless we take the baby? That seems good, right? And not scarring-for-all-future-life in any way?

Totally appropriate for a baby

Anyway, what’s up with you all? What do you want to talk about? Did you know that Netflix drops shows usually at midnight PST? Useful info!

27 thoughts on “Saturday Small Talk: Chat Away While I Prepare for a Busy Week!

1. I’m seeing War again today. I think it was supposed to leave theaters sooner because I didn’t seen any showtimes for it and then it popped up again so I guess it’s doing well enough to extend the run. I’m driving pretty far from home to a theater in a Desi community so I’m grabbing dinner and doing some shopping beforehand. My son, amazingly, wants to go with me. I wasn’t expecting that but he had enough fun at the film that he wants to do it again. All he did was surf on his phone and then take off his headphones during the action sequences and songs, I guess that’s all that’s required to enjoy the movie, LMAO.

• Congrats! So jealous! I tried to get a friend to see it with me today but she wasn’t free, so we are going to try next week instead (assuming it is still playing). Come back and report on if you noticed anything special on the second watch.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 11:43 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Random observations:

The theater was full! Small theater but still impressive. One of the Desi women in the theater was grinning at me in the bathroom, not sure exactly why but maybe out of surprise that I was watching the film?

Once you know the plot of the film literally the only thing of interest to watch are the interactions between Hrithik and Tiger. Any time you have a scene with one but not the other the movie falls into black hole. Even the solo action scenes fall a bit flat. Yes, Hrithik invading an airplane in mid-air is impressive, but leaves you with a big eh since Tiger isn’t there. Don’t get me started on poor Vaani’s scenes.

The super sexy vibes are still there on a second watch. The train scene in particular, I noticed that as Hrithik is making his getaway on the train, he presses his whole body against the door with his arms raised and it comes across as him wanting to press his body against Tiger, woo.

The final fight scene, Tiger rips off his shirt and Hrithik rolls his eyes at him! I’d missed that the first time and it was hilarious.

Overall, definitely worth a second watch. My son was really into it this time, he took off his headphones and actually paid attention to what was going on. He even moved into the front row for the final fight scene for maximum impact.

• On my second watch, I forced myself to notice the technical parts of the action scenes, so that entertained me (how few cuts, how good the special effect were, and so on). But that was it, otherwise I was marking time for more Hrithik/Tiger.

I had promised my friend that there would be something super romantic at the interval, and then I was kind of disappointed in the train scene until they are on opposite sides of the door. Just their eyes meeting, Hrithik leaning his whole body, Tiger running to stay even with him, so romantic!

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 5:00 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Now that I can actually hear the video – they’re like co-workers, right? Is it just me, or does Aamir cut in with a bit of wrap it up before you get yourself in trouble? And then they both flash that smile that means we’re done here.

• Yeah, co-workers! It’s funny, everyone always tries to make the Khans either mortal enemies or best friends. But it seems like the reality is co-workers who have a job that requires socializing outside of work. Like being on a bowling league or something. They know each other’s wives and kids, they can make small talk for days, and they work well together, but it’s not like they are the bestest besties ever, or like they hate each other. On the other hand, it has been almost 30 years that they’ve worked together and known each other, there’s a bond there.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 10:06 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Not requesting pictures of the baby, but maybe an artful close-up of a hand, or a foot? An ear? Just a small taste of cuteness.

Has Albie been prepared for the small guest?

Yay for baby visits!

• Albie has not been prepared, but I understand The Baby has been spending a lot of time saying “abla” which seems to me like an attempt to say “albie dog”, so the baby is preparing.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 4:46 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I don’t know…he seems to cry A LOT. And also, excrete wetness constantly.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 1:08 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I’m excited for you to meet your nephew but even more excited for your sister because you can look after him for a few hours while she sleeps or showers or just stares into space and does nothing. Oh oh! Look at it as a challenge. This is your chance to change his taste in music (or just have Badshah stuck in your head for the next three days)!

• Oh, I’m not looking after the baby! But my parents have already announced that they plan to pick him up when he arrives and hold him for 3 days straight. So alternatively, the baby could stay at Mom and Dad’s, and my sister and I could hang out at my place eating ice cream and watching movies in bed.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 4:27 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Stuck at a rainy airport trying to get home, catching up on posts and pondering how we’re going to put my older kid’s costume together. Going to be a short weekend.

• Oh dear, sorry for the rain! I hate being stuck at airports. And good luck on the costumes, I remember that mad rush in the last week to throw together our vision. I think the most impressive one was the year I decided I wanted to be the “Princess of Chicks”. Or the year my sister decided she wanted to be a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 4:50 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. For the record I plan to stay up until midnight to watch Letterman special so if you’re up to a chat on here I’m in.

Working on my Halloween costume for school and party (Rachel from Friends, because I’m Rachel and it’ll be a funny thing to say when people ask me who I am.)

26th I have a Diwali party next door and a Halloween party the same night. Busy week/weekend ahead.

I’m deep in song selection for my May event…you all may be the perfect focus group (not kidding) to weigh in once we have a shorter short list. Trying to tell a story and appeal to desi and non-desi audiences.

• I’m planning to set my phone alarm and wake up in the middle of the night, watch and take notes, and then write a post. So I may not be responding until I manage to finish all that and get another couple hours of sleep (I hope) before I go to work.

I’ve only got one Halloween party, after all the Baby hoopla the rest of the week, I am looking forward to just crashing on the weekend.

On Sun, Oct 20, 2019 at 2:56 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: