So much for you to talk about! I mostly care about which movie people want me to see, because the showtime is at 11am so I need to make a decision soon. But you can talk about the other stuff too!

Alia and Ranbir, at 11 and 22!!!!!

Thank you to filmikudhi, and also no thank you because this is gross!!!

Back before they were dating, when they did their first photoshoot to announce the casting of Brahmastra, Ranbir and Alia told a story of the first time they remembered meeting. They were doing a photoshoot for Bhansali, he wanted to cast them opposite each other in a movie, Alia was 11 and Ranbir was 22. Alia was shy and didn’t want to put her head on Ranbir’s shoulder.

At the time the story was told, it was a little cute story of when these future co-workers first met and how time passes, and Ranbir went on to talk about how he found Alia a good actress right from the start, and so on. However, from the current perspective, I will give you three choices and you pick which is grossest:

1. Bhansali planned a love story that required casting an 11 year old opposite a 22 year old (looks like it was going to be about child marriage and a bride growing to love her husband)
  2. Ranbir is now dating a young woman he knew when she was 11 and he was 22
  3. This is being treated in the media as a “cute story” and an ideal romance instead of WEIRD and WRONG

Anyway, here’s the link Filmikudhi gave if you want your stomach to turn a little bit:

Should I see Panipat or Enai Noki Paayum Thota?

I really can’t see both, they have conflicting showtimes. So which are you more curious about?

Image result for panipat poster
Image result for enai noki paayum thota poster

Aamir Khan With Big Ugly Beard

Images from the set of Laal Singh Chaddha. I’m guessing this is the “Forrest Gump runs across America for no reason to symbolize the pointlessness of the late 70s/early 80s” portion of the film. What do you think? Like the look, hate the look? Different theory for what it is representing?

Aamir Khan

31 thoughts on “Saturday Small Talk: A Gross Story, Which Movie Should I See, and New Laal Singh Chaddha Images

• Yaaaaay! Thank you!!!! We were just talking about how now one seems to make fanvids any more and what a pity that is.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 6:09 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. The thing about the Ranbir-Alia film is that I can’t imagine Mahesh Bhatt and Soni Razdan approving this.

Also, is the second point really that gross? Saif likely knew Kareena when she was girl, too.

• Also, Rani’s returning for the Bunty air Babli sequel… but not Abhishek. Feeling a bit blue about this, though I liked Saif-Rani as well.

• I have obsessed over the Saif-Kareena thing before! He actually only co-starred with Karisma once, in HSSH, when Kareena would have been 19. He certainly could have met her casually loads of times, but he wasn’t definitely for sure aware of her before her launch. And I think Karisma kept Kareena kind of away too, she was at boarding school and stuff, so she knew Salman and the other co-stars Karisma worked with regularly, but might not have interacted with Saif.

My guess is that the plot Bhansali was considering would have been something like ten minutes of seeing the child bride marry her husband and them interact, then the husband goes off for 5 years or whatever, and returns to find his bride bride all grown up and played by a different actress. Which I still find a bit odd and icky, but is not a ridiculous premise for a film, especially a period piece.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 7:27 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• 32 when they got married, 28 when they first got together, it really does feel very different to me.

Dilip Kumar and Saira Banu are another famous example, she claims to have been in love with him almost all her life, and consciously training herself to be with him since a young age (for example, making sure to learn Urdu so she could speak with him), and he certainly new her as a child off and on since he was a family friend. But Dilip treated her as a child and avoided being cast opposite her or spending time with her, until he suddenly saw her differently one night and almost immediately proposed. It’s still a weird romance, but it feels less weird than this in a way I can’t quite articulate. Maybe it would have felt strange to me at the time if I knew the two people separately as a very young actress and a much older actor before they got together.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 11:37 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• That might be enough to decide me! Also, Panipat has loads of showtimes and is a lot easier for me to see than the other one.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 9:21 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. When I saw the headline “A Gross Story”, I thought it was going to be one of Albie’s misadventures. I think that would have been preferable.

• Albie Dog has been thankfully ungross lately. Although extremely wiggly, I just had to fight him off through breakfast.

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 9:37 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Bringing this discussion over here, from Searust on another post: “Preity and Rani took breaks where they really shouldn’t have. I mean Rani was playing an older woman type of role to Ranbir in Saawariya when she was what 28 or 29 during the time of filming which would have been in 06/07 and Preity too took a step back too early. Still astonished at how short of a peak both of these actresses had when you think about how popular they were. From 2007 onwards seems like all the newcomers suddenly started getting roles and there wasn’t much space for these “older actresses” who were stillvery much young. It’s too bad they didn’t reach their peak in 2012 or so because there are so many more films these days that work better for older actresses compared to 2007-2011. I would have loved to see Preity as the poet in ADHM.”

• Now, to reply to Searust as me!

Really interesting point about the age thing. I think the late 2000s were the worst era for women in Hindi film. In the 90s Kajol and Sridevi and Madhuri got all these great interesting roles. And now we have the same kind of roles for the new era. But the wide release big hits of the late 2000s just didn’t leave enough space for smaller films where a female lead could shine.

• Yes! The 90s was a good time too! I think either Rani or Preity would have suited Piku so well. I did like Deepika in that so it’s not like she necessarily has to be replaced. Even Priyanka’s role in DDD could have been played by Preity, i can imagine her suiting it. And so many more. Unfortunately there was no space for such characters in the late 2000s.

• The casting that kills me with might-have-beens is that DDD was written for Ranbir and Kareena. Can you imagine how good Kareena would have been in the PC role? And the extra meaning it would have had?

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 3:47 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Preity and Rani faded fast because their pairs with the big male stars of that time had gotten stale. Those guys couldn’t keep working with them after a point because it would be too boring for the audience to see the same pairs again and again. That left them at sea. Rani was able to do female-centric roles but Preity was never that great an actress. She was cute but enough to hold up a movie on her own? Not really. She also had a majorly botched plastic surgery face by the time KANK came out and it looked so bad that I think it affected her too.

I think Deepika is facing similar problems. In spite of a big movie like Padmaavat, she has sat home for 2 years now with no movie release. She has a small female-centric release coming up now.

Katrina is doing remarkably well even without much talent.

• Interesting way of thinking about it! Agree about Dips, for sure. I’d throw Anushka in there too. Their career definitely slowed as they got older, and married. Kat just keeps chugging along, maybe because seh doesn’t want anything more.

• Yes, Anushka also. I totally forgot about her which is even worse. There doesn’t seem to be a single thing on the horizon for her. She hasn’t had any jobs at all after Zero and no announcements seem forthcoming either. In that same time period, Katrina has already released Bharat and finished filming Suryavanshi.

Kareena is also chugging along. She has so many movies!! Good News, Angrezi Medium, Lal Singh Chadha, and Takht. They’re all pretty big movies too.

I don’t know how Kareena and Katrina are moving along so effortlessly while the younger Deepika and Anushka are having so much trouble.

• Maybe it’s the roles Kareena and Katrina are willing to take? Kareena seems pretty settled with showing up and doing a great job with 15 minute roles, a rare combination of a well known actress who is happy playing just a “love interest” type of role. And Katrina, same thing, she has no interesting in climbing to a higher level than love interest.

But Deepika and Anushka seem like they want something more than that, and those parts are harder to come by.

4. So this is interesting: the whole thread is full of men saying they are questioning their sexuality because of Hrithik in War and I’m thinking it’s a combination of directorial choices in how Hrithik was filmed, Tiger being the POV character, shooting scenes like the train scene that are normally seen in romantic films, but also a lot of these guys are probably Kinsey 5’s but have no language to talk about being bisexual or pansexual. It’s fascinating to witness.

• I would phrase it as “War was made in such a way that it allows these conversations to happen”. Does that make sense? All the things you list, the way Hrithik was filmed, the way Tiger reacts, the romance of it, says “it is okay for a guy to be attracted to another guy”. And therefore that secret thing you may have felt/though before suddenly feels like it is okay to say.

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 1:41 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. I think the only reason people are calling that Ranbir/Alia story “cute” is because they were paired up so young and are now a couple. But literally EVERYTHING ABOUT IT IS SO DISGUSTING. I absolutely despise the idea of Ranbir and Alia as a couple, the fact that they’re still together, THIS LONG makes me want to throw up. But if I had to pick, the worst part about it is the entire concept of an 11 year old getting cast opposite a 22 year old in a LOVE STORY. Literally who in their right mind would think this is a good idea? What parents are going to approve of an 11 year old girl doing this? No. Absolutely not.

• I am assuming that the plot idea was a child marriage, maybe 5 minutes of screen time of them together, then the hero goes off to the city or something, comes back 5 years later to find his bride all grown up and played by someone else. But that’s still kind of gross.

And thank you for supporting me in the “It’s WEIRD and WRONG” camp with Ranbir and Alia! I can’t fully explain my reaction with logic, the age gap is big but I’ve been okay with couples with the same gap. They had met a few times before she was grown up, but again I am okay with couples that have a similar story. I can say that it seems like he is ready to be married with 3 serious relationships (at least) behind him, while she is very young and inexperienced, but then I don’t really know them, maybe Alia had a serious relationship too. But it’s WEIRD and WRONG and GROSS!!!!

On Sun, Dec 8, 2019 at 8:37 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. So far, I have alerted you to the icky Akshay-Nupur music video and this story. I alerts seems to be getting progressively grosser. I wonder what I will find next.

• If you find confirmation that Ananya is dating Karthik Aryan, I’m not even sure I want to know.

On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 10:48 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote: