If Shahrukh doesn’t announce it on his twitter, it’s not definitely happening. So this is not a “this is happening!” post. This is a “let’s talk about the implications of people rumoring this is happening” post.

Yash Raj likes to do this thing where they have someone from the PR department “leak” a very carefully crafted statement about a project they have in development. And then they just sort of sit back and wait to see how people jump, and then alter the project or drop it or accelerate it based on how folks react.

I don’t know-know this of course. But boy these “anonymous sources” sound rehearsed and specific. And half the time the stuff they talk about doesn’t end up happening. Only reason I can think for the PR department to put out a planned leak is to see what the response might be to the thing they are leaking.

I love YRF, and I know y’all do to, so let’s help them! DCIB will happily be their focus group and give opinions on whether or not this project should happen, and if so, how it should happen.

It’s a massy title which sees SRK play the most heroic character of his career. The actor has been on the hunt to do an action film for a while now and Siddharth Anand offered him exactly what he was looking for. The character is rooted, earthy, larger-than-life, it’s heroic, it’s stylish and has the swag to pull off the big scale action. Just like SRK played the titular role of Don and Raees, likewise, this time around, it’s time to play a Pathan. Watch out, it’s Shah Rukh Khan in and as Pathan. It’s a meaty role, which is the primary reason for DP to sign on for the film. Even Pathan will be a part of YRF at 50 slate, and will be announced alongside Salman Khan’s Tiger 3. An announcement is expected to be made within next month and a half, taking the film industry by storm. Aditya Chopra is the only producer who can announce a film with Salman and Shah Rukh on the same day.”

“The pre-production work is going on in full swing, with the action board, shooting spots, character traits being discussed on a day to day basis on video calls. Shah Rukh Khan is all set to commence shoot for his massiest character till date by end of this year. He was to commence shooting for Rajkumar Hirani’s social drama first, but Hirani being Hirani, is taking time to complete his script and it’s a long way to go before he starts the pre-production. The Hirani film will arrive only in the second half of 2022 now,” the source shared.

https://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/bollywood/breaking-shah-rukh-khan-starrer-pathan-go-floors-november-2020-uk-rajkumar-hiranis-film-2022/ and https://www.bollywoodhungama.com/news/bollywood/scoop-shah-rukh-khan-pathan-siddharth-anands-next-reunites-deepika-padukone/

So, Shahrukh in a massy action film directed by Siddharth Anand co-starring Deepika produced by Adi (which probably means written by him too) titled “Pathan”. How do we feel about this? Yes or no? Do we have notes?

Shahrukh in massy action could be good, a nice way for him to ease back into working without all the pressure of another romance. Sid A makes me a little nervous, because on the one hand Bang Bang and War, and on the other hand Ta Ra Rum Pum. Deepika and Shahrukh are okay together, and most likely it will be a fun light role for her, so that’s good for her. Not necessarily for us, Sid A tends to have pretty weak female parts. YRF is trying to see how we feel about that by indicating it is a “meaty role”. Yes Sid A! If it is a Shahrukh movie, bring that strong female role for us!

The title is what I like most, DON’T CHANGE THE TITLE YRF!!!! “Pathan” calls back to the border north Indian identity, and is immediately iconic and perfect feeling for an SRK hero. Most importantly, Shahrukh in Pathani suits is a little bit of heaven.

SRK #Eid2017 | Mens kurta designs, Indian men fashion, Kurta designs

30 thoughts on “YRF is Leaking News Because They Want Our Opinion on a Potential New Shahrukh Film, What Do We Think?

1. Siddharth Anand already has the film mentioned on his Wikipedia page. I didn’t know who he was so I looked. Bang Bang, War. Okay. I didn’t know what Pathan was, so I looked it up and a Muslim hero whose people predominantly live in Pakistan seems likely to court controversy in Modi’s India. But again I don’t know what I’m writing about and is controversy bad? And what is the Hirani film? Oh, and Katrina’s role in Bang Bang was fairly awesome.

• I’m thinking maybe a patriotic action film will balance the “Pathan” hero identity issues. Controversy is definitely bad, box office for films that the extremists decide are “wrong” tanks like you wouldn’t believe. But any Shahrukh film will be controversial, so maybe they are putting it up front now instead of hiding it. He identifies strongly as a “Pathan” in his personal life, will make comments about being Pathani and stuff, so this kind of weaves that into things.

The Hirani film is another rumor that may or may not be anything, I’m not gonna worry about it until there is some kind of announcement, even as much as these leaks. Most of these stories are based on stuff like who he has over to his house for dinner. So, maybe he and Hirani had dinner and talked about a project, but that doesn’t mean the project is happening. Or maybe they had dinner and just talked about books and kids and stuff, we don’t know.

Katrina’s role in Bang Bang wasn’t bad, I think I would be mostly happy with a heroine part as strong as that, except that I do love Shahrukh romancing people so I want more heroine time if it means more romance.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 8:17 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Interesting idea that YRF floats their own rumors….From the time I learned to trust NOTHING from the press, I stopped paying attention until the star(s) or director makes the announcement. Pathani suits, YES, action role YES (cause it make him so happy) YRF YES (back to his roots in a way) Controversial film, NO NO NO. Last thing he needs is trolling and demonstrations and theaters closed.

• The YRF stories always have these anonymous quotes that are perfectly phrased and quoted word for word as though they are an official statement or press release. It’s gotta be corporate controlled! No one talks like that!

YES Pathani suits! And I am less worried about controversy, YRF is smart with that. Salman was heavily Muslim in Sultan, a smart release strategy since it was coming out at Eid and they were going after the Middle East market. And no one said “boo” about it because it was also a nice patriotic sports film with a slightly feminist message. I do want SRK to be happy, and I enjoy him in action roles, but he’s OLD!!!!!! Shouldn’t he be sitting in a rocking chair relaxing by now?

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 11:33 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Old?? Bite your tongue! 50’s are young. Anyway he could be a hard bitten, cynical reluctant action hero….Cruise is 58 and still doing them !! NO ROCKING CHAIR for our boy.

• But Cruise looks like his own wax figure! I don’t want that for Shahrukh, I want him to go all Amitabh-y and dignified and slow.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 12:15 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Yay! Something nice to think about!
    Pathan as a title and costume and character: YES.
    Action film: yes, but like Hrithik in War where they don’t try to CGI scrub his age. (Mostly this, please no CGI on his face – looking at you, Red Chillies! – just gorgeous, Raees-like lighting and shooting.)
    Siddharth Anand: no opinion
    Deepika: meh. I say this as a fan, I don’t really want to see her in a lightweight heroine role unless she’s kicking butt in some capacity. I get that a Chennai Express/HNY reunion would be tempting, but let her grow out of these.
    Controversy: agree with Molly, hope they tread carefully and avoid escalating the inevitable protests, or last minute twisting of the story like we think happened to Raees.
    Most heroic character of his career: really? Bold statement there. But it would be fun to see him as a complicated good guy. Ideally one with a big family group.

• Oh, I had forgotten about the Hrithik dead sexy old guy make-up aspect of War! Yes please, more of that, a creative team that understands sometimes adding crows feet is a lot sexier than removing them.

Agree about Deepika. Sid A doesn’t have a great track record for female roles, but YRF does, so if they give Dips something more along the lines of Kat in the Tiger films, that would be great. I think she could be really fun in an awesome confident super spy part.

I want an uncomplicated good guy! Like in Main Hoon Na, just straight up moral and brave and all that. He can still be human, maybe a little shy, or a little obnoxious, but after Don and Raees I wouldn’t mind Shahrukh in a no-shades-of-grey kind of role.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 1:49 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I get it! I just think those no shades of gray roles kind of go with the scrubbed young hero phase. Older means more nuance, more mortality. Plus the straight up good guy roles have a tendency to stray into comic and playing dumb (like CE), the manchild persona, and I’m tired of that guy.

He can be complicated on the personal side, heroic everyway else? Like a Bruce Willis classic – Die Hard or Fifth Element?

• Or he could be like Hrithik in War, perfect professional but kind of a jerk to his subordinates (and that’s not even getting into the sexual harassment stuff)

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 2:22 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Gruff and grizzled because he’s seen too much, with of course some kind of softening heart melting evolution as the film goes on.

NOT paternalistic toward the young women in his sphere of control, please!

• If Dips is a sexy double agent, opposite grizzled tough guy Shahrukh, I would be very happy.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 4:08 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. If he spends the film entirely in Pathani suits, I’m down for that! But I don’t trust any of these rumors, I learnt the hard way when he was supposed to do the astronaut biopic, it went as far ahead as the producer showing its pre-production work in an interview, and then nothing! I believe he wants to do action, he’s said it multiple times. I don’t want another Raees type film where the woman is only there for the romance, she has to have an action role. That necessarily means it has to be one of these younger actresses and not the older ones I (and I’m sure many others) want. Katrina would be my 1st choice, but I also want to see Deepika doing action. I don’t know about Siddharth Anand, could go eitther way. I’ll say that for Katrina’s role in Bang Bang, he actually removed some of the more interesting aspects of Cameron Diaz’s character in the original, and Vaani’s role in War was nothing, so I’m skeptical.

• Why can’t older actresses do action? They’re in the gym all the time! Madhuri and Kajol are super fit. But if they don’t want to… I saw part of Juhi’s action film from her younger days, and physically she was terrible.

• I’m all for it, but I have the impression that generation of actresses don’t want to do it. Or maybe they’re not offered. Oh I forgot Rani did the Mardaanis, she can do it! Her or Tabu would be great!

5. I watched a video a while back of this guy coming up with ideas for SRK’s comeback, and I think his top choice was to play opposite Hrithik in a hypothetical sequel to War. There was also some stuff about a Don crossover, which I was meh about, but everything else I was on board with, so I think a massy Sid A and YRF movie might be the way to go. I have such a soft spot for the SRK/Deepika jodi, so I was on board with this immediately, but I do hope that she has a meatier role. I’d hate to see her reduced to just a love interest a la Raees and War.

• I think I would be okay if she had just a hair more to do than Kat in Bang Bang. Kat had a fairly decent role, but no fight scenes, so I’d want those added in.

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 5:34 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. After a 3 year break, I really don’t want a trashy Sid Anand masala movie for SRK. Unlike most here, I really hated War and Bang Bang and thought they were objectively bad movies. As a leading figure in the industry, SRK should be doing more than generic stuff like this. I mean.. this movie could have been made right after Zero. What was the break for? You’d expect that time would be used to come back with something really fresh and original.
    I don’t think the title means that he would be wearing pathani suits throughout. Not in London for sure. It’s already being reported that this will film in the UK in November.
    That’s if these rumors are true. I do think there is a grain of truth in the fact that YRF has many announcements coming up for their anniversary and SRK would most likely be included in them. But the details of the project might be totally different.

• Well, now I am picturing Shahrukh in the UK in perfect British suits, and that’s good too!

I feel the reverse, after a 3 year break he should come back with something modest. Test the waters, let us get used to him again, then follow up the small film with a bigger one.

7. There is so much pressure on this film. I want him to a) look his age b) not romance a too young heroine (maybe she can have crush and he can hold back like Dear Zindagi c) plausible action: i.e. no flying but good fighting and d) a superb, twisty surprising plot.