Happy Wednesday! It is completely overcast and dreary here and I just had a massive horrible car thing that I will explain in the “thinking” section. Why are Wednesdays so difficult?

I’ll start!

Reading: I’m a little worried that I am running out of steam on my Thirkells. I’m on the 8th (or 9th?) book in a row and I either need a break, or to power through because this particular book is somehow just not as well written. I think I will power through since the last one I read, the 7th (or 8th?) one I really REALLY loved. So maybe it’s just this book.

Watching: Nothing right now, but I am PLANNING to watch Masaba Masaba and V as soon as I am back in my apartment all alone with no one to stop me.

Thinking: You know that conundrum of needing coffee before you are able to think straight enough to handle the complications of acquiring coffee? I failed in the quest this morning. I was going to drive 20 minutes to the nearest coffee place with safe social distancing practices, but my car was blocked in by my parents. I could have taken their keys and taken their car, or I could have taken their keys and moved their car so mine could go. But instead of that, I tried to kind of corner around their car and now my car is so fully blocked in by various obstacles that I don’t think I will ever get out. I’m going to drink coffee at home and wait for my Dad to wake up and make him fix it. Like the mature 35 year old woman I am (see also, two days ago when my oil change light turned on and I had to have him fix it for me. And every other morning when instead of driving to buy coffee, I had him make it for me. Life is too hard! I just want Dad to fix it all!!!!).

Listening: This popped up on my ipod while I was trying to back the car out, so happy making!

Question: in honor of Akshay Kumar’s birthday, a general discussion question, do you prefer your movie men hairy or waxed or no opinion?

In other words, this:

Most disgusting photos of Akshay Kumar Photos

Or this:

Akshay Kumar | Akshay kumar, Celebrity workout, Shirtless

46 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching: What Are You Reading and Watching and Thinking and Listening to on this Gloomy Gloomy Day?

• Maybe! Keep reminding me. I’ve been staying at the lake house with my parents for 3 weeks, so movies are almost impossible, but I am about to be back in my apartment with good internet nad nothing else to do.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 7:45 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. I am eagerly following the Kangana vs Shiv Sena battle…OMG its so ridiculous…two attention-seeking, power-hungry, unhinged parties battling it out over a stupid comment to determine who reigns supreme…bring on the popcorn!!
    It’s interesting that very few people in the industry dare to take on Shiv Sena…and I don’t think anyone has won so far…KJo, SRK, Aamir, etc. all had to bow down and offer apologies so let’s see how this pans out…either Kangana will bow down and that will probably dampen her PR/Political career…or Shiv Sena will finally be defeated and stop their daily media drama…either way whoever loses…win-win for Indian public!

• See, this is the kind of thing that makes me think Kangana is not fully in control of herself! She does stuff that just has no logic to it, there is no way for us non-Kangana people to predict or understand what she does. Anyway, yes, I am SO SICK of the Shiv Sena. You know they even defeated Dilip Kumar? This is years ago when they were first getting big, he went to some peaceful charity thing in Pakistan, they went after him HARD, and broke his heart, and wore him down, and 5 years later he was bowing and scraping in front of the Thackerays like everyone else.

• Kangana is hugely supported by the BJP so she has no fears and nothing to worry about. She walked into Mumbai airport with a team of commandoes surrounding her given to her by the BJP.

2. Let me preach about The Wedding Guest, which I just watched and thought was very good. I had put off watching it for ages despite the fact that it has Jim Sarbh AND Dev Patel because I thought it would be a typical violent thriller (maybe with terrorism?), but that’s not what it is like at all. It really is more like an Indian indie movie than an American one, and I think many people here would really enjoy it. The romance plot is really satisfying.

I also watched Angamaly Diaries which I didn’t like. It was well made, those tracking shot scenes in the finale are really breathtaking, but I disliked all the main characters and wanted them to suffer, which didn’t happen. Anthony looked good though I have to admit.

Give me a hairy 70s chest any time, although weirdly one of the things I particularly like about Govinda is that he’s not hairy at all.

• Thank you for preaching about the Wedding Guest! I looked it up and you are right, the poster looks all gritty and real. But then I skimmed the plot description, and it’s a romance!

I will allow you to not like Angamaly Diaries, so long as you can still appreciate the brilliance of the filming. But don’t give up on that director! My favorite is City of God, which is kind of like Angamaly but with hotter more charismatic lead characters, and lots of romance. And there is Amen, which is just weirdly surreal in a way you might like, not sure, how do you feel about Amelie?

And we have one vote for “hairy”! I feel like if we get enough comments I should really send this to Akshay on twitter. It’s always good to give constructive feedback.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 8:38 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Honestly, I can’t think of anyone I wouldn’t recommend it to. It’s great. I was going to review it but don’t have much to say except that it’s great, so.

Ooh City of God has Prithviraj, I guess I’ll check it out. I like Amelie but basically that’s the only kind of non-precode whimsy I can handle.

If you’re going to give Akshay feedback, tell him to only play villains from here on out.

3. Since men’s chests don’t really do it for me either way, I tend to go for the LOL factor. For Akshay in particular, I seem to recall a pretty pronounced stubble phase. That was fun. I just can’t immediately find a picture now.

Just like the only chest hair that’s even better: Years ago I came across a party photo of Anil Kapoor where the top of his chest was shaved, but the shirt was opened even wider. It has forever informed my perception of him as, well, a real person. I can’t see him as anything but the fun uncle who enjoys himself just a little too much at a party.

Reading: After your recent glowing promotion, I’ve started on the original Tarzan. It comes across as very much a product of its time. So far the British lord has looked down on the “brutes” of his ship’s crew, was tempted to side with”vested authority”, and of course only his wife gets the “overwrought nerves”. She also doesn’t seem to do anything while he builds their cabin. Still, time permitting, I think I’ll continue reading.

• “fun uncle who enjoys himself a little too much” is exactly my feeling about Anil too. Did you see the coverage of Sonam’s wedding? Anil was partying harder than anyone else, start to finish, the whole evening. It was amazing.

So glad you started Tarzan! It continues exactly as it starts. Very much of it’s time, little logic, just enjoy the purple prose and ridiculousness. Also, the woman is working very hard being Beautiful and Brave, the job of all women.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 10:39 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I really think much of not most of what gets published today is better written than many of the “classics”. Still, everything that has defended its place in the public consciousness for so long is worth looking into.

• My feeling is that after a certain point the idea of a thing and the actual thing get so divorced that they seem almost disconnected. Dracula (the book), and Tarzan, and the Wizard of Oz series and all of those have had so much written about them, and so many movies made, and on and on. And then you read the original source, and it’s just a fun light silly bestselling thing. Oh, you know what else is good? Zorro! the original book.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 10:51 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I read the original Dracula and it scared the socks off of me. Definitely brilliant and timeless. Then I read the original Frankenstein and thought it was boring, dated, and overly moralistic.

It seems you can’t rely on current hype (or quality of the subsequent interpretations) when considering the value of the original.

• And now I’ve finished Tarzan – well, the first book, anyways. It does get a lot more riveting once the kid starts living with the apes and growing up into this giant Marty Stue. It tells you a lot about what society valued back then: the nobility, that had to have come from actual “good stock”, but also the fascination with pure primitive power.

The further I read, the more I also noticed that I held in my hands a spiritual predecessor to another book series I was quite fascinated with for a while. The “Earth’s children” books by Jean M. Auel came into my life at just the right point in my adolescence for maximum impact. Their heroine also grows up with a different species, Neanderthals in her case, has to deal with a jealous tribe member and becomes the most awesome human ever because of her circumstances. And her love interest (from what is now France, no less) accidentally teaches her the wrong language first, too.

• Oh yeah, once it gets into the whole “smartest strongest bestest Ape EVER” section, it just zips along. It reminds me a lot of Twilight, not super well written, but an idea that is just immediately appealing to almost any reader. Interesting point about the value system of the time. Now that I think about it, there were a lot of stories kind of like that in America. City slicker goes to the West and becomes the Best Cowboy Ever. Police Officer goes undercover and becomes Best Gangster Ever. Farmer joins the American Indians and becomes the Best American Indian Ever. Something about the dream of a civilized normal man who goes into a dangerous community and ends up being best of all, the fantasy of breaking free of the boring 9 to 5 kind of life, combined with a sense of “if I did, I would be best ever, because civilization and intelligence have value”.

Totally related! I’ve never read the Earth’s children books but I’ve heard about them, and for sure that whole “fish out of water who ends up as The Best” is a Tarzan thing.

If you want something like Tarzan but not Tarzan, check out Zane Grey! His heroes are similarly Awesome, but in the American West.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 7:47 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Finally after so many years I have seen Silsila. It was beautiful visually…those saris, those flowers. My only problem was: Why everybody was so old? Amitabh, Shashi and Sanjeev were over 40! It was hard to believe they are not married yet. Also I know it’s controversial but Sanjeev >>>>> Shashi

I also saw Killer Inside: The Mind of Aaron Hernandez and it was very interesting. I knew nothing about Aaron Hernandez and his trial, because football player are unknown here in Europe so everything was new and shocking. I almost overflow my kitchen because I watched it during cooking.

• Well, Amitabh was a drippy poet who probably put off getting married because he was waiting for “love”. Sanjeev was a dedicated doctor who was too busy to get married, and Shashi was a fighter pilot, ditto. Also, that is MASSIVELY controversial!!!!!! I will maybe accept Sanjeev > Shashi in this particular movie, since he was a perfect husband while Shashi was kind of a thoughtless boyfriend. But in general, Shashi > Sanjeev ALWAYS.

Now that you’ve seen Silsila, do you agree with my theory that we aren’t supposed to sympathize with the lovers? I feel like the film is pretty clear that their connection is sort of shallow while the married connection is something real.

I didn’t follow the Hernendez trial at all, so now I want to watch this too if it is that absorbing!

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 12:17 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• The movie begins with Shashi and Jaya being romatic and stuff and I was like: why they aren’t married? Thery ale old enough. Especially if he has this dangerous work. What he was waiting for? Also the affair would be much more credibile if Amitabh was younger. And yes, we are no suppose to sympathize with the lovers or maybe only a little. Their spouses were so good and nice, I couldn’t stop thinking about them even during the most romantic songs.

• Maybe Shashi and Jaya had a whirlwind romance? They were clearly engaged and planning to be married, maybe they only had like 3 weeks together and were gonna be married on the 4th week?

I love Jaya and Sanjeev together and would have been happy with a movie that somehow managed to make them fall in love. When we only had the trailers and songs, that is the movie I hoped KANK would be, wild Abhishek and Preity having an affair and SRK and Rani comforting each other and then falling in love.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 12:55 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. It’s been a ridiculous week. I got laid off after a week of moving to the opposite coast for this job, the sky is ORANGE, it’s cold??

Comfort: going grocery shopping today. it feels so soothing! also just went through a spree of lm montgomery, one of my comfort authors.

not really watching anything except vlogbrothers videos, which are magnificent and lovely.

• Oh I am sorry! I hope the being laid off is an irritation and a stress, not a total life disaster.

YES to LM Montgomery! I was thinking about reading her again myself. I read the whole Anne series and My Blue Castle every few years, the other stuff not nearly as much.

I think I need to go grocery shopping and then make soup. So happy and pleasant, such a nice ritual.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 2:05 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. Watching Pen15 on Hulu. We got a flexbox from Xfinity and it provides access to all kinds of shows. I do not have Hulu subscription but I can still watch the show. The leads (also show creators) who are actually older but play high school students in the show make the show interesting.

7. Your question made me think about this 😉 :

And now I have a problem because I need a Unni Mukundan movie but I have seen almost all available with subs or worth watching.

• I’d recommend something to you, but it’s hopeless, every recommendation I have ever given you has gone awry.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 4:41 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• No, there are many movies I watched by your recommendation and liked e.g Malli Malli Idi Rani Roju, Love Aaj Kal 2, Pyaar Impossible recently. I usually like the movies you like, with few exceptions (Manam I’m looking at you 😉 ) so don’t be afraid and recommend.

• In that case, Santosham! I think you would like it. And Laage Chunari Main Daag. And Shubh Mangal Saavdhan. And maybe Bujjigaddu.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 5:47 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Santosham looks good.
            LCMD and SMS I have already seen.
            Bujjigaddu – doesn’t it have a director I should avoid because he likes shaddy heroes and stuff?

• Yeah, but I think Bujjigaddu might be the one you like. The hero is completely dedicated to pleasing the heroine.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 3:20 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

8. Reading: Reed Hastings wrote a book (sounds kind of interesting because he did the typical CEO thing about why my leadership style is awesome, but then he hired a female academic to go talk to people who work in various parts of the company and her sections are a counterpoint of what it’s really like to work there) and he gave this interview to Variety.

Things I found interesting:
    1. He says their next focus markets where they’ll start producing original content are Egypt and Turkey.
    2. He’s disappointed that the company culture is still “profoundly American” and sees the solution to this as giving more local control over content and production decisions.
    3. They’re still all in on producing lots of original content, including animation, and “every billion dollar” for the next couple of years is spoken for.
    4. They’re in production in Europe and Asia right now, presumably where the pandemic is more under control (which wouldn’t include Spain or India, I would think?).
    5. It comes across as really a content house more than a tech company, which really surprised me. Maybe because he was speaking to Variety.

• Thank you! I just couldn’t be bothered to read the interview, and you neatly summarized the interesting points so now I don’t have to.

Egypt and Turkey are growing markets for Indian films right now. Well, growing/established, Indian movies have been there since the 50s but they are pushing them harder now. Makes me think that Netflix and Indian films have a similar market push, towards countries underserved by their own entertainment industries.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 11:15 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

9. I bet he waxes now because his chest hair has all gone gray.

I’ve stopped reading and am only watching Lucifer. I skipped most of season three (and some of season 2) to get to seasons 4 and 5 which were supposed to be, and in fact were better. And also, I wanted to know how it ended. But it hasn’t ended, so now I know as much as I can. But I’m not ready to let the characters go, so I’ve gone back and am re-watching all of season 3. I just love his character, not in love, but I love the idea of it, and how he plays it. And I’ve always had a soft spot for tidy mysteries that tie up in an half and hour as each murder is…

But I should read more books, and less newspapers.

• Maybe Lucifer should be my “have on in the background while I clean house” show? I’m looking for one, not something like Masaba Masaba where I really have to pay attention, but something more passive.

On Wed, Sep 9, 2020 at 11:25 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

10. So Akshay Kumar claims that he drinks cow urine everyday….my question is should we believe him or is he just saying this because his RSS/BJP fans will lap it up?? Also, I have logistical questions…where does he get the cow urine from? He lives in a Mumbai apartment…is the cow living in his terrace? Or does the cow live somewhere else and the urine travels to Akshay’s house every morning?

Maybe his next movie is going to be about the benefits of cow urine?? One honest man realizes that the good citizens of Mumbai don’t have access to fresh cow urine…so he goes through many challenges to set up a special cow urine delivery service…the evil liberals/scientists keep trying to stop him raising stupid issues like health/safety etc. but Akshay perseveres….

Sigh…I think I am losing my mind…

11. Didn’t get a chance to watch anything last weekend as it was taken up with typhoon prep and then the actual typhoon. Actual typhoon, very thankfully, was not the unprecedented apocalyptic event it was hyped as. My city had no discernible damage and I’m fine and my apartment is fine and everything’s fine.

New documentary series on Netflix called The Creative Indian looks very interesting! From the film world they are doing Nawazuddin, Dibakar Banerjee, Imtiaz Ali, Radhike Apte, and Boman Irani, of which I am most looking forward to Boman Irani. For some reason I can get pretty irritated listening to actors talk about acting, but Boman is so intelligent and doesn’t seem to take himself so seriously. Radhike might be good also.

I’m kind of done with the giant glistening pecs fad, but probably wouldn’t like completely au natural either. I mean, look at Prithviraj–judging from above his neck he probably naturally looks like a bear. I’d be happy if they could just remove everything from the neck and back and trim the hair on the chest until it’s contained in one area and not going crazy.

• Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! So happy you are fine!!!!

I was debating The Creative Indian, watch it for us! And then tell me. Also, I too want to see Prithviraj with a natural chest. And Prabhas. I think it would look good on both of them, and I know it looks odd when you have a hairy face and then nothing below the chin.

On Fri, Sep 11, 2020 at 12:35 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote: