So, this isn’t an original thought from me, but someone on the internet has pointed out that since Farhan’s separation announcement yesterday, every single main actor in Zindagi Na Milega Dobara has now had a big public break up.
Is that actually true? I think it is! And if so, is it a coincidence, or is there a reason behind it? I think there is actually a reason for it.
Zindagi Na Milega Dobara is sort of a modern, artsy, out there kind of film. And it attracted modern, out there, interesting kind of actors. Which doesn’t mean they have to get divorced, but it at least means they might be more open to it than the more traditional old school types.
Plus, Zindagi was about finding your bliss, life transitions, making peace with things. Which, again, isn’t saying you have to get divorced to do that. But the kind of actor who might find this script appealing, is also the kind of person who might say “I’m not going to stay in a marriage that just isn’t working any more and is slowly killing us both.”
But it’s also kind of a cool coincidence now that it is pointed out. In Hollywood, it wouldn’t be a big deal, most casts are probably made up entirely of people who went through ugly break-ups. But in the Indian film industry, most people are married and together for ever, or dating and keeping it so secret that no one even finds out about a break up. So to be able to point to 4 separate actors who all had high profile break ups is pretty amazing.
And just for the record:
- Katrina Kaif-engaged to Ranbir Kapoor, living together, planning a wedding sometime this year. Suddenly within the last week, no longer living together, probably no longer engaged, and I’m guessing not really meeting with wedding planners any more.
- Farhan Akhtar-announced a separation from his wife of 16 years yesterday
- Hrithik Roshan-married to his high school sweetheart Suzanne Roshan for years, announced a divorce out of the blue two years ago, shocking the whole industry.
- Kalki Koechlin-married to much older genius director Anurag Kashyap, divorced him last spring.
- Abhay Deol-broke up with longtime girlfriend Preeti Desai last year