FilmFare was finally broadcast! Which means it is finally available on certain not-necessarily-legal locations on the internet! At least until all the copyright holders find it and descend. But just in case you miss the magical illegal window, here are the big things I noticed:
- Boy, this is really the SRK show, isn’t it? Based just on the Times of India minute by minute coverage, it looks like he wasn’t there and actually hosting for that long on the night. But apparently there were a ton of pre-taped bits, so it felt like here was there the whole time. I guess with the actual movie part of his movie stardom going down hill a bit this year, he decided to hit a little harder at the genial master of ceremonies/king of the industry part of it.
- Also quite a bit of the Ranveer Singh show! Not only did he have his big performance in the middle, and the emotional speech at the end, he got a ton a reaction shots through out the night! Maybe partly just because his hair (facial and head) was so notable, and his jacket so amusing. But also because the FilmFare camera guys think that he is big enough and beloved enough, the audience will be interested in anything he does. Interesting!
- And then Salman showed up. Huge huge entrance. HUGE! Beginning with Shahrukh himself acting as his hype man. And then, like, explosions and flying down from the ceiling and stuff. While singing his own song live! Which, okay, probably easier on poor 50 year old Salman to just stand in one place and sing than to do a big dance number. Of course, then he lands and does a whole dance number too.
- The Bachchan’s are way too old to be up this late and pretend to laugh that much. By the end of the night, there was definitely some visible “I just want to go home and have some Horlicks and watch my programs” in their eyes. Sitting in the front row is a nice honor, but it also means you can’t sneak out early, skype with the grandkids, and go to bed.
- Speaking of the front row, I’m pretty sure it was all set up just for Salman’s entry. Bachchans were there, of course, always and at every event. Rekha, okay, they do love her at FilmFare. Anil Kapoor, well he’s just loveable! But Sonam, she would only be up there because she just co-starred with Salman in his most recent movie. And it worked perfectly! Two and a half hours in, Salman finally arrives, gets to greet all his favorite co-stars and most respected elders, and didn’t have to go wandering off into the audience to find anyone else.
- Also in the front row, Madhuri! She has really arrived! I mean, her last 3 movies did terribly, but she is definitely in with the evergreen star/respected elders crowd. Oh, and Dr. Nene was there to, having a wonderful time! In the past few years, I have come to love Dr. Nene, going to all the events, letting his medical practice lapse, just being all happy to be Madhuri’s plus one.
- And finally, that moment at every awards show when one of the back in the day heroines comes out and shows all these young things how it is done! Shahrukh and Kapil Sharma called Madhuri up on stage and did a little gag where Shahrukh lipsynched a love song and danced with her. Then Kapil wants to do a dance with her too, and the joke is that instead of romantic music, “Tukur Tukur” plays. And Kapil gives a big funny (presumably? It’s all in Hindi and kind of too fast for me) speech about how Shahrukh gets the good songs and blah blah blah he can’t even dance to this. By the way, it was clear that Madhuri hadn’t rehearsed this, she just did a sort of improvised graceful wriggle. But when Kapil made the comment about not being able to do the “Tukur Tukur” dance, Madhuri smiles and does the “Tukur Tukur” move PERFECTLY. Like, way better than either Kajol or Kriti did it in the actual film. Not as satisfying as IIFA 2013 when she came out and did Alia’s “Radha” and Kareena’s “Fevicol Se” way better than either of them ever could, but still pretty good!
(You only think this is good because you haven’t seen Madhuri’s version)