I think Chetan has earned his birthday post on my film blog, don’t you? He’s written enough scripts, and had enough books turned into films. But he isn’t a “real” film person, so I am not going to do a full 44 reasons, just leave it at a dozen.
1.1. I love you because before you were a writer, you were an IIT/IIM graduate and a successful bank employee; you aren’t just successful in the arts, you are successful in the real world as well.
2. I love you because you didn’t make life wait on art, you were 35, a father, and married for 11 years before you wrote your first novel.
3. I love you because you take on writing as a practical career, not a hobby, taking on writing jobs where you find them from writing columns to film scripts, along with novels.
4. I love you because you have embraced your semi-celebrity status, instead of being a remote artist on a mountain top, you are open to public appearances and speeches.
5. I love you because you write in English about the new urban India, you are dealing with India as it is, for the current Indian audience.
6. I love you because you also acted as a judge on Nach Baliye, perhaps the least qualified judge in the history of television game shows, and I find that hilarious.
7. I love you because your book Five Point Someone inspired one of the all time classics of Hindi film.
7. I love you because another one of your books inspired a film that launched the three most promising outsider actors today, Amit Sadh, Rajkummar Rao, and Sushant Singh.
8. I love you because your uniquely grounded romance, based on your real life love story, provided a uniquely grounded movie love story.
9. Also, I love you because that uniquely grounded romance inspired some really great songs.
10. I love you because the film that is least faithful to your text inspired a pretty fantastical and un-grounded love song.
11. I love because the most recent movie based on your books was truly terrible, but it just made people appreciate the book version more!
12. And finally, most of all, I love you because your Shaadi.com ads make you seem like world’s dorkiest cupid, and always make me smile.