Hello All!  Happy Wednesday!  Time to catch up on everything that’s happening with us.  And I’ll see if I have a discussion question I can throw out there for us too.

I’ll start!

Reading: Alternating Terry Pratchett (very light and fun) with the Savitri book (very not)

Thinking: Do I see Bhavash Joshi or Veere Di Wedding opening night?

Watching: I have a new background show!  Greek.  Which is both better than I expected, and still not as good as it could be.  The perfect sweet spot for something to play while I blog.

Now, question:

Bollywood Newbie/Alicia alerted me last night that multiple sources have Priyanka Chopra and Nick Jonas as a couple.  So, first, what do we all think about this?

For me, I am at a loss!  I remember when the Jonas Brothers were those guys on Disney channel ads, very hard to wrap my head around Priyanka Chopra dating one of those little boys.  Also, is it possible this is just a thing their respective PR teams have dreamed up to get us talking about them?  I almost find that more believable than that they are actually dating.

Image result for priyanka chopra jonas

And second, what celebrity couple before this did you find just completely surprising?

I know it’s almost definitely just a fake rumor, but just the possibility of Arjun Kapoor and Mallika Arora still kind of blows my mind.

Image result for arjun kapoor malaika

33 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching Post: What Are We Reading and Thinking and Watching This Week?

1. Farhan Akhtar- Shraddha was an unexpected pairing.They didn’t seem to have much in common.
    I still haven’t finished Darlingji: The true love story of Nargis & Sunil Dutt.Their love story during their one year courship was stormy,passionate and very very interesting.Misundestandings, inferiority complex ,suicide attempts,cutting.For a pair of 28 year olds they’ve done pretty much everything a typical teenager would do.

Which left me time only to watch one Sunil Dutt movie Gumrah (1963).Sanjay has done a movie with the same title but a different plot.Sunil’s Gumrah is very frustrating with 3 complex protagonists.The Akshay Kumar-Kareena starrer Bewafaa was based on this movie.This is also the way Hum Aapke hai kaun could have gone.In contrast to Akshay’s scruffy artist in the remake, Sunil Dutt is the sophisticated artist dilettente .Mala Sinha is forced to marry her sister’s widowed husband Ashok Kumar for the sake of the kids.Her husband is neglectful.And she rekindles her affair with her boyfriend Sunil after they accidentally meet again.Ashok and Sunil become friends at about the same time.None of the protagonists come across very sympathetic.Sunil and Mala think they’re pulling one over Ashok Kumar.But really,after finding Mala’s portrait in Sunil’s studio did they really think Ashok was duped?Particularly since it’s the only portrait.The rest are landscapes. Mala Sinha’s only concern is “what would people say if they find out?” Ashok is more interested in sprouting French at the dining table (which none else understands) and playing a cat and mouse game with his wife and her boyfriend.Poor Sunil gets the door slammed in his face by Mala at the end after the cutting final dialogue “There’s no Meena here.Only Mrs Ashok.” Ouch.

Watch it only for Mala Sinha’s musical sprinklers which is voice activated to Sunil’s song.He looks really dashing in formal wear.

And for a happier version in which Sunil wears the fabulous sweaters which his newlywed wife Nargis knitted for him.

• That last line is AWESOME. But poor Sunil. Does Ashok at least seem interested in Mala by the end of it?

I could kind of understand Farhan and Shraddha in a midlife crisis way. He seemed like someone who would enjoy having an adoring young woman who thought he was super cool just because she wasn’t old enough to see through him, and Shraddha seemed like someone who was ripe to have that growing up experience of falling for a seemingly cool guy. But it was still weird!

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 8:20 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Well, it’s just rumored not confirmed. Which I think is also true of the ARK rumors.

But yes, WHAAAAT??? was very much my reaction to the idea of Shraddha and Farhan too!

• Also ewww PC and Nick is just weird like Nick looks like a kid or could be her little brother she needs a man like I rather have her with Akshay or Srk (if they weren’t already taken) even though there were rumors that she was with both

• I just looked him up because I was curious. Nick grew up in a hardcore Christian family, homeschooled and Dad is a minister, he’s got a purity ring and everything. And he’s a young Republican. And he’s only 25 and PC is 35 or 38 (depending on whether she lied about her age when entering Miss India). So older experienced international PC is dating a young man who believes in early marriage and purity and social conservatism. What the heck do they even talk about?

• From what I can see, they were together at the Met Ball last year and that got everyone talking, and now there are photos of them on a yacht together and rumors are flying.

So if I were a PR guy, I would be looking at their careers and media profiles, and saying “hey, they got a lot of buzz a year ago when they were together, maybe we should spin a relationship and build that buzz up again”. Maybe after Tom Hiddleston and some other options refused to take their calls.

Or maybe they fell in love magically and wonderfully and we are all just cynics. It could happen.

• Don’t get me wrong I love PC she is self made and very intelligent woman but seriously Nick?? CMONN

• Yeah, it just makes her look like either she has very low dating standard, or a very low opinion of our intelligence that we would buy this relationship as real.

• Ashok Kumar seemed to consider his wife as his possession.He was willing to forgive- after punishing her suitably of course.He never seemed to feel passionate or emotional about it.Unlike Sunil who wore his heart on his sleeve.Ashok did give Mala the option of going back to Sunil.But Mala never had any intention of leaving her husband.She was only afraid that Ashok would never forgive her if he learned about the affair.

• So, both Mala and Ashok were kind of scuzzy and Sunil was the purest person there? Poor Sunil.

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 10:38 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Sunil was no innocent left in the wayside.He cajoled a clearly reluctant/wavering Mala Sinha into the affair.His initial excuse was that he just wanted to complete his portrait of her from before.He sent Mala’s portrait to her via her husband.He came for dinner at their house and wasn’t above putting the moves on her behind her husband’s back.He had the excuse that he couldn’t help himself.

• Uch, I hate that “couldn’t help myself” excuse. You can always help yourself! You are an adult human person!!!! Have some self-control!!!!

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 10:47 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Chalo Ek Baar Phir Se is one of my favorite songs, so I’ve always wanted to see this one and it is apparently not available anywhere with subtitles. It sounds completely different from what I had imagined, which is a tragic story in which the lovers are parted forever (just based on the song). But now I want to see it more.

2. Something about Priyanka is really off, like she’s so calculating she ends up outsmarting herself. Someone of her stature should be dating men at her level. Dips with Ranbir & Ranveer, Katrina with Ranbir & Salman, Aish with Salman and then marrying Abhishek. That’s level Priyanka should be aiming for, not fauxmances with B list Hollywood actors. If she wants to date Hollywood guys, Chris Evans is single and Tom Hiddleston is clearly down for a fake romance.

• Thinking back to PC’s previous rumored romances, they were either with married guys that just got her a toxic reputation (not necessarily for the romance you understand, but having the media spread the rumors meant no one wanted to touch her for fear of encouraging them), or with guys who were way below her. Harman Bewaja, a producer’s son in his first movie. And Shahid before he was in his current career upswing. Maybe she’s looking for a guy who won’t overshadow her in public, but it’s not working, instead it just makes it look like she has low standards. And anyway, if she is going for a young hot arm candy, there are tons of male models and struggling actors out there who are way more interesting than Nick Jonas. Pick some teen soap actor who doesn’t have much of a public profile and mold him.

Or she could have a sincere non-publicity romance and we would all respect that, like Sonam with her nice non-famous rich guy or Preity with Mr. Goodenough, or Madhuri and Dr. Nene (the love we should all aspire to).

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 10:01 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• The weird thing about the “jacket” story was that it felt like using the Western media to send a message to India, which is just odd. But maybe this is the same thing?

Maybe the Nick thing is aimed at India instead of the US? She’s getting back into the Indian industry big time next year, and the SRK rumors are still lingering. A high profile romance with someone else, high profile enough to make the Indian news even if no one really knows who “Nick Jonas” is, might be a good move.

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 10:43 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. It’s coming close to midterm season, so I’m still trying to catch up on the blog (up to Sanjay part 4!) This week I watched Chittagong for its absolutely stellar cast (Nawaz, Rajkummar, and Manoj Bajpayee). It kind of reminds one of a real-life Rang de Basanti and for once they seem to have hired actual foreign actors instead of (apparently) just rounding up whoever was hanging around India Gate and looked like a British soldier. It is perfect for Memorial Day! Also, Chittagong is one place in Bangladesh I haven’t been yet but I really enjoyed seeing beautiful Bengal on the screen.

• Chittagong was one of those filmi coincidences, there was another movie on the exact same incident that came out the same year, randomly. The other film had AR Rahman doing the music and Abhishek and Dips in the lead and sank like a stone, but I remember Chittagong got really good reviews.

• I just looked it up and it looks like it was reviewed positively, but no one wanted to watch it. I can see how Abhi and Dips would give it a totally different feel.

4. Oh, Priyanka and Nick: well, I just don’t know. I have been in Japan too long to have a clear idea of who Nick Jonas is. A ten-year age difference is not that much, but 25 to 35 is a big difference. Priyanka has always struck me as someone who’s just not really into romance,and is either dating unavailable men on purpose so she won’t have to get married or fake dating unavailable men for the publicity. This is kind of how I feel about Rekha also, and if this is the case I’m happy that both of them are rich enough to stay independent.

• Well, Rekha at least has her longterm on the downlow relationship. Maybe Priyanka has someone like that too? I can’t think who it would be, there’s no faithful “secretary” hanging around her.

5. Priyanka looks like Nick’s mother on this photo. I don’t believe they are dating.
    And I agree with Datablue – thinking about Farhan and Shraddha together blows my mind.

Watching: Only James and Alice, with Pritviraj, and I’m little disappointed, but it’s always like that when I watch a movie because I loved one song. It’s never as good as the song made me believe.
    And I started japanese mini-series on Prime Fukuyado Honpo: Kyoto Love Story. So cute, and sweet. Like a postcard – everyone is pretty, well-mannered and wears kimono, but not much happens.
    Reading: about Sonia Gandhi, about Enrica Lexie case( 2 italian marines killed 2 fishermen from Kerala in 2012) and Prabhas interviews about Sahoo (I love how diplomatic he is – Shraddha is one of the biggest assets of the film, and she do need a lot of retakes for hindi version, but the telugu one are done after one take (sure he didn’t say it’s because in telugu her annoying voice and terrible dialogue delivery will be dubbed). And I get to know, something maybe everybody knows, but I didn’t ,that his next movie will be ” a pure love story that is likely to be shot in Europe.” And now I’m here with my fingers crossed hoping this time they will come here to shot.
    Thinking: about trip to Palermo I’ll be doing next week.

• I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me before that we should be hitting you up for Sonia Gandhi info. Next time she comes up, you get to tell us all the Italian gossip (if there is any) on her.

Have you watched Mirchi yet? Can you confirm that they did not actually shoot in Milan for the opening sequence? It doesn’t feel like Milan to me, but then what do I know?

• Yes, I have seen Mirchi and I did it because it was shoot in Italy. Opening sequence , you mean this ridiculous one when Prabhas comes and starts playing with the band on the street? Or the next one when he stalkes the girl? None of them looks like Milan for me, but I will ask.
        I follow on twitter a guy who has ODU Movies, a company which works with indian producers when they need to shot in Europe. They have worked in a lot of movies : Mirchi, Vedalam (with Arjith), MCA and Krishna Arjuna Yuddam(with Nani) and many others. Now they wrote they will be working with Prabhas soon, and are looking for extras. Unfortunately they need only desi people 😦

6. I also agree that Farhan and Shraddha were surprising, but he seems like he was in the middle of a pretty standard mid-life crisis after entering his 40s and a divorce, so also not surprising. And Shraddha is a cipher based on her very lackluster performances and interviews.

I also agree with Alisa that Priyanka is calculating (just wrote it about it on another post before I saw this:)

I think the Arjun and Malaika thing is real and I love it. The age difference here makes more sense to me…she’s a divorcee who just wants to have a little fun…he clearly has some mommy issues. And I just like them both and want them to be happy however they want:)

• Oh and one more gossip comment, I totally thing that Arjun and Sussanne have had or are having an affair and it has broken up both marriages. They do seem to all be handling it pretty well.

• I was thinking about that, but isn’t this like a really really long gap? For Susanne and Hrithik to get divorced and then like 4 years later for Arjun? Unless they are being really careful and Arjun and Susanne have been together all this time and just waiting to throw people off the track. Or of course that Arjun and Mehra were trying to make it work and it just didn’t and they finally gave up years later.

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 8:42 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I love the Arjun and Malaika thing too. He’s 32, she’s 44, that’s very different from 25 and 35. And it doesn’t feel like either of them are in a place where they want to get serious, if he was talking marriage and kids in interviews, then I would be worried, because that’s complicated with a 44 year old divorced single Mom girlfriend. But he’s not, and she’s not talking about wanting a second marriage, so fine! Go, have fun, be happy with my blessing! They got there on different paths, but they both seem to be in matching places in their life.

Heck, even Farhan and Shraddha I am happier with than Nick and PC or Alia and Ranbir. Shraddha is young and not necessarily looking for anything serious, Farhan is recently divorced and probably looking for something fun, same place in life. But 25-35 and both never married, that’s just a whole different world!

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 8:40 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote: