Saturday Small Talk: Help Me Decide What Movie to Show Tonight!

Happy Saturday! I am busy busy busy all day. But good busy, interesting busy.

You ready for a weird story? Last Saturday I went to my acupuncture appointment and I got all needled up and was just about to drift off to sleep, when a loud ringing sound started up. And then a few minutes later, the acupuncturist came in, apologized, and explained the fire alarm was going off. Because the hallway ceiling had just fallen in and there was a river of water going down the hall. So all my needles got pulled out and we zipped down to the lobby.

Once again, like Sushmita Sen in this song, I am a water goddess. It’s not normal for me to go “oh yeah, that’s the sound of a ceiling falling in because of water” because I have heard it so often, right?

The end result is, I get to have a two hour appointment today! Which really takes a bite out of the day, but isn’t even the biggest time suck.

Speaking of time sucks……why is this so long!!!!

A couple months back I sold a “Indian Movie Night” at the church silent auction. And the two nice couples who bought it agreed that this Saturday is the best day for them. Which means I have to clean the apartment (blech!), and do all the other prep stuff (do I hide the Shahrukh face mask in the bedroom or not?). That’s for the morning.

Image result for shahrukh face mask
This is a normal thing to have sitting out on your coffee table, right?

Then acupuncture for two hours, and then back to get the food ready. I promised Indian food, but I don’t want to deal with the complication of getting take out without knowing everyone’s preference, and I’m certainly not going to risk cooking from scratch. So what I did was go to the funky ethnic grocery store and buy 4 different frozen versions of saag paneer. I figure I can put them out with the boxes and let everyone do a taste test and decide which they like best.

Image result for haldiram saag paneer
I’m guessing Haldiram is going to be the winner

I also got frozen laddoos (I’ve gotten them before, they turn out surprisingly well!), and frozen naan, and Chakali for snacks. And a big can of mango pulp and yogurt, so I can make my own lassi. I’m planning to buy fresh samosas to kind of fluff it up, and that should be kind of fun. But it does mean I will need to rush-rush post acupuncture.

Image result for chakali
Chakoli! I really like it

And then there is the actual hosting! And what the heck movie am I going to show? My old reliable is K3G, but that is almost 20 years old now and terribly out of date. What would be a good replacement? Something fun, with nothing that I would take seriously in it (so, not 3 Idiots or Om Shanti Om, because one has suicide and the other has film nostalgia and I take both those things way too seriously). Student of the Year? Bahubaali? Bajrangi Bhaijaan? A Gentleman? Running Shaadi? Raabta? Ooo, maybe Raabta!!! Although, not enough songs in that. Mirzya? No, too many songs.

But such good songs!

Help! What do you think I should show?

31 thoughts on “Saturday Small Talk: Help Me Decide What Movie to Show Tonight!

• The couples aren’t terribly modern, and I have no idea what they already know about the films. Jab We Met might be good, and nice practice for discussion on the rerun on Sunday.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 8:14 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. You are spot on with food! I asked my hubby what he thought about what movie to show, as someone who likes probably 25% of Hindi movies (or any movies) I ask him to watch with me. He immediately suggested Piku, the boat one (Dil Dhadakne Do), or the train one (Chennai Express).

I think Piku is great but not very typical, and no full songs. I liked his other two suggestions though.

I have a couple of questions, which I may repeat Monday depending on answers today. I participate enthusiastically, though somewhat as a lurker, in the Twitter Shah Rukh fandom. Some prominent accounts of which also comment here sometimes. *wave*

Many many people send Shah Rukh images or gifs of himself every day, sometimes with a comment (a greeting, or something about how cute he is in the photo, or a quick question or opinion). Sometimes they are images of him with his kids, or co-actors, or other film family people. But the vast majority are images of him. This leads me to two groups of questions, one from fans’ point of view and one from his point of view.

Fan POV questions (no judgement here, I’m really curious): what’s the thinking behind sharing images of Shah Rukh with Shah Rukh? Is it a just a simple compliment? Is it to make him feel better if he’s feeling fat or ugly that day? Is it because you’re thinking of him, in a way, as another fan of himself (fans swap images with each other all the time–we do it here on DCIB)? Or something else entirely? Maybe because that’s what other fans do?

Shah Rukh POV questions: Is it odd to know/have a strong sense of what you look like from every conceivable angle, in every conceivable lighting, still and in motion? Is that something most actors know or just superstars with their photos everywhere all the time? Do you remember your sense of self before you knew that and now? Did it change at all and if so, how? When you are at an event with your photos posted everywhere (like the FAN fan event at YR studios), is that odd? Do you enjoy the photos, or just ignore them, or see all the flaws in them?

Good luck with your busy Saturday, Margaret! I think you must be a water goddess, or at least a nymph. Hope you can learn to harness your powers for good!

• Interesting question! I can’t answer it from either side, not for really-real. But I am excited to hear what other people say!

I think I could make a stab at the Shahrukh side of things, he’s been very open about how he separates Shahrukh-the-star from Shahrukh-the-person. Probably the healthiest way to handle it, to think of all those photos and everything else as photographs of a different person, not touching the person at the heart of him.

I follow Amitabh on twitter and he regularly responds to photos from fans and is very pleased with them. But I think it is different for him, often they are photos from magazines and so on from years earlier. It’s giving him back a memory he had forgotten, and from a time before every image was stored forever online. That makes sense to me, both why they would send him the images (because he doesn’t have them himself) and why he would be so happy to get them. He doesn’t respond to stuff from last week or last year, but if it is a photo of him and Aamir and Salman from a concert 30 years ago, he will be delighted.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 8:15 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• That photo!!!! 😍

I live in LA and have met professional performers and they are very aware of what they look like from every angle and they use it in their craft. Some of them are neurotic about it but others are very pragmatic. Their faces are the tools they use to make their living and they learn how to use them effectively. It’s pretty much a requirement to be any kind of performer or public figure (politicians are also aware of what their faces look like, believe me).

• Have you seen Fan yet? It is a brilliant brilliant movie, and there are two moments where Shahrukh-playing-A-Superstar-Who-Is-Like-Real-Shahrukh-But-Different studies his face in a mirror, practices smiling, checks the flexibility, it’s fascinating and disturbing at the same time, his own skin is also a mask he puts on and off.

Also, ever since I read that politicians all do botox, professional tanning, etc., I have felt much better about watching the news. Otherwise it was just a stream of “not only has this person accomplished so much, they also somehow just look more rested and put together than I do! They must be a superior race of being in all ways”. And now I know, they just pay professionals to make them look that way.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 11:44 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• My other question would be, do I want to get them addicted and keep watching movies? Or just a one off fun time? Because Bahubali is an almost guaranteed hit, but then they will just want to watch more movies like Bahubali, and there aren’t any.

What about Happy New Year? Big spectacular song numbers, silly plot, big stars? And won’t give them too high expectations. Oooo! Or Dilwale!

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 8:52 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Nooooo Dilwale or HNY! I’m proud SRK fan and I couldn’t watch those two.
        Does it have yo be hindi? Because maybe something southern would be better : a little bit of romance and some fights for men? Oh I know -Raid! You like it and it looks like something those couples will like too.

• But HNY and Dilwale are so perfect for talking over! And if you kind of like watching them in a group, you will definitely enjoy watching actual high quality movies on your own at home.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 9:13 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I also vote no on HNY and Dilwale. If you do go with one, I think Dilwale would be better than HNY. It is at least typical in tropes and plots. HNY is over the top in every way, and just Abhi barfing at random points would be enough to put me off.

• Oh oh! Bang Bang! What do you think? Great songs, silly plot and silly action, but all entertaining.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 9:41 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• And I have never had bad luck with Bang Bang, everyone I’ve shown it to from my very picky friend Dina, to my insanely excruciatingly picky mother, to my friend Kayla who loses interest if there is nothing sexy onscreen, they have all loved it (luckily, Kayla is bi, so Hrithik and Kat both work for her, so long as one of them is there she was fine)

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 2:02 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Plus, I’m worried about movies that require more concentration to follow and appreciate if I have a larger group. Like, more than one on one or one on two.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 11:21 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Main Hoon Na is definitely the best option out of those listed so far. Resist the urge to go with silly over-the-top like HNY, it’s agony if the people you’re watching with don’t like it (I still shiver when I remember seeing HNY, at tremendous expense, in theaters with people who hated it within the first ten minutes). Something else to consider: Some of my friends especially enjoy a movie with “traditionally Indian” stuff in it, meaning folk songs, saris, traditional garb.

Anyway, Main Hoon Na! Masala, doesn’t need much cultural orientation, Sushmita wears a sari. It’s perfect.

• But I have never had luck with Main Hoon Na! The jokes fly so fast, it’s hard to catch them if you are also taking and passing food and stuff. Om Shanti Om, same problem.

Oh! What about Singham?

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 12:29 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. `
    Bang bang for the movie — songs-dance-action-locals, and it will counter the Bollywood stereotypes.

But, frozen food?? NOOOO. You have so many get places near by. Order something to be delivered

• I’m not made of money! If these were Young People, we would fight over the menus and split the cost, but it’s Grown-Ups, and I am hosting and don’t want them to feel pressured to pay, but also don’t want the responsibility of ordering and paying for 5 people.

Fun frozen options has a lot less pressure, and the snacks and samosas and lassis will be good enough to fill up no matter what, so they won’t be going home hungry.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 3:00 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. I’ve had ‘novices’ enjoy Chak De and The Lunchbox. Both were more familiar to them in style than a more masala movie.
    Do you think they would prefer something fast-paced or more slow and thoughtful? The number of songs is crucial – are they open to the excuberance of them or is there likely to be eye-rolling?

The problem with Bahubali is that it’s a two-parter, a huge let down to get to the end and find you’re still only half way through.

How about Rab Na Bana De Jodi? That’s a delight. Bajrangi Bhaijaan? Or Muna Bhai is fun.

• I was leaning Masala, just because they signed up for an Indian film night and I assumed it was what they would expect. I gave them action and romance options, they leaped on Prem Ratan Dhan Payo because they wanted the traditional family romance. So I decided I might as well swing back to Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham. And it worked! Yaaaay! An oldie but a goodie.

On Sat, Feb 9, 2019 at 4:17 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Here is my list – not any particular order
    1. DDLJ
    2. Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara
    3. Munnabhai MBBS
    4. Bang Bang
    5. 3 Idiots (I know you said suicide is too serious. Still they should like it)
    6. Bahubali
    7. The boat one (Dil dhadakne do?)
    8. Piku