Saturday Small Talk: Chat Away While I Do…..Nothing?

Is this possible? I truly have nothing to do on a weekend? No new film I have to rush off to, no household responsibilities, no family anything? It just doesn’t seem right!

Oh, woops, I just opened the closet and was attacked by a dirty clothes mountain. So I guess that is what I will be doing with my Saturday. Fun!

Anyway, things to discuss! First an important baby update, the baby slept through the night! Thanks to a baby dance party that left him happy and warn out. You ready for the music that did the trick? That made him a happy happy baby? Yo Yo Honey Singh and Badshah. He’s going to grow up and wear oversized t-shirts and use Punjabi slang to hit on women. This is a disaster.

His new favorite song of all time

Next, trailers! Moothon, where I cannot recognize Jim Sarbh and am slightly disappointed that Nivin is still on the cuddly side (my love is so shallow). Also, generally, confused by the plot and wondering how everyone fits together.

Amitabh! The Big B turned 77 yesterday and I celebrated by writing a post on man love in his classic films. We should celebrate better than that though, discuss here your favorite Amitabh movies! Or, alternatively, what movie you hopes he makes next.

Image result for amitabh bachchan sye raa narasimha reddy
This was fun, but he’s had better movies

And finally, just a thing to puzzle over, one of the buzzy stories about Baaghi 3 says that an action sequence used 400 cars. How is that even possible????? What would you use them all FOR?

37 thoughts on “Saturday Small Talk: Chat Away While I Do…..Nothing?

• Nope, never gonna see it. It’s not the kind of film I’m interested in, nor is it a film the DCIB community is particular curious about, so not worth it.

1. I missed Jim Sarbh completely in that trailer… 😢

Can you suggest me some nice easy breezy sunshine movies? I am pretty depressed after watching mission mangal in hotstar and joker in theatres. So different kind of disasters😢😢😢

• WHY WOULD YOU WATCH MISSION MANGAL?????? I told you and told you not to see it, I sacrificed myself by watching it opening night just so I could warn people away, and it was all for naught.

Anyway, happy movie!!! If you go to theaters, War is amazing and so light and stupid and fun. Throwback silly Masala action film.

On Netflix, Luka Chuppi isn’t the greatest movie but it is fun enough and very light. Bareilly Ki Barfi is a better film, a bit more complicated. Ek Ladki Ko Dekha is amazingly happy if you haven’t seen it yet.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 7:01 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I know… Should have listened to you… It was so bad.. but not even the so bad it’s good kind.. it just stay bad…

Will try luka chuppi… Have watched bareilly ki barfi and ek ladki and loved both!!!!

• Exactly! You think “well, at least if it is bad I can laugh at it”. But no, it was just bad bad.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:09 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Amitji…I would like him in a movie with ShahRukh…Do you remember the fictive plot you wrote with roles for almost all the actresses we like him with (and some new ones)…something with business rivalry (have to look for it)…maybe there could be a role for Amitji as well.
    Enjoy your weekend with ‘only’ washing clothes ahead 🙂

• Shoot, I have no memory of that plot!

But I would love to see Shahrukh and Amitabh opposite each other again! Especially as they have both become more and more interesting actors. Something like Amitabh is a cranky old professor and Shahrukh is a newspaper editor nearing the end of his career and wanting one last big story, and they end up having to work together on a story.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 8:10 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Couldn’t you do a plot with Amitji, ShahRukh, Tabu, Vidya as main protagonists and Juhi, Madhuri, Kajol, Sushmita, Preity and Rani in substantial cameos?

• Yes, I can do anything! We have limitless imaginary budget, and limitless imaginary scheduling options.

Amitji is one of those average old men he specializes in now, he contacts Shahrukh who is a former hotshot investigative reporter fallen on hard times and estranged from his children and wife Juhi. Vidya is the woman he mentored at work and who ended up taking his job, they have an adversarial relationship now but still respect each other. The scandal/mystery they are investigating is related to something around women’s issues. Maybe how the department that is supposed to help abused women is actually taking bribes? Tabu is the chief antagonist, Sushmita is her second in command, Madhuri and Preity are victims of the scam. Rani is Amitji’s dead daughter that we see in flashback and who he is doing all of this for. Rani’s abusive husband killed her after his mother paid bribes to make the case go away, and then he killed himself. The death isn’t because of the abuser, it’s because society looked the other way and let it keep going. Oh, and the evil mother who paid the bribes to protect her son can be Dimple Kapadia. Or Shabana Azmi? Oh oh!!!! JAYA!!!!

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:26 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Wait, is that Jim Sarbh with the beard? Agreed, the story is very confusing. Who is the big brother?

Going to take this as an excuse to show you why I think Jim Sarbh and Sacha Baron Cohen might be long lost cousins, even though there are no beards and it has nothing to do with Moothon. Except maybe that they’re both now in gritty roles? Stretching…
    OK, what do you think?

Reminds me of the other international doppelgangers, Thomas Middleditch from Silicon Valley and Luis Gerardo Méndez from Club of Crows.

Sorry for the digression :), tickles me when people from completely different backgrounds somehow end up with the same face.

I would like to see Amitabh in some kind of evil sorcerer role, I think he could have fun with that. But not with Shah Rukh, I don’t want Shah Rukh doing fantasy right now. I’d they were together, I think I’d want to see Amitabh as father-in-law in some kind of family story with complications. They’re so good in that conflicted family register.

• I suspect the Brahmastra role might be something kind of wise and sorcerer-y. Of course, that’s a Ranbir movie so it will never release. Oh oh! Amitabh should totally do a low budget horror film! Can you imagine? Some sexy traumatized teenagers running around while he laughs evilly and explains his terrible plans?

In terms of doppelgangers, have you seen Kartik Aaryan and Adam Scott? It’s not just that they look the same, they even have similar deadpan comic acting styles. It’s very weird!

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:07 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh yes, Luka Chuppi dude! Exactly like Adam Scott, it is uncanny.

Please no Amitabh scaring scantily dressed teenagers. Flashbacks to his dirty old man role in KANK, that is not a character type of his that I enjoy.

• He wouldn’t enjoy scaring the teenagers, it would just be what he does, as a scary sorcerer type trying to protect his ancient temple or whatever. We could also have some quick cuts of him scaring reporters and researchers and stuff too.

4. I have to work this weekend 😭

But to answer your Amitabh question, Deewar for best performance I’ve seen. It’s such a complex role and he utterly owns it. Super masculine yet vulnerable. Angry yet loving. Criminal yet has more integrity than anyone else in the film. And his heart wrenching speech in the temple at the end. I haven’t seen a lot of 70s Amitabh but I can’t imagine anything else he’s done that can top that.

• I can’t imagine he’s done anything to top Deewar either! At the end of the day, it’s probably his best/most important performance. I love everything he has done recently in his “old man character actor” period, but it doesn’t have the raw power he had back in his youth.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:07 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m not sure it is Jim. Roshan Andrews is also in the film, maybe it’s him? But Jim is in the cast list, so he should be in the trailer SOMEWHERE. The whole thing is very frustrating.

Anyway, watch Raabta! I should just create an automatic sign-off saying that, I say it so often. Everyone should watch Raabta!

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:31 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I liked SSR in it, but it’s still one of those Darr films where the evil stalker villain is waaaaaaay more interesting than the hero.

• Yeah, I would have happily watched a whole movie of Jim being weirdly weird while Kriti stared in horror and his guards looked uncomfortable.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 12:58 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes! Would have loved to see Raabta as a thriller centered around Jim and Kriti where they were actually together in the past life but aren’t in the present because of how unhinged and possessive Jim is. Would have been super interesting and would have been a twist to the whole past love reincarnation story. Raabta didn’t work for me bc sushant was annoying to me but I found all of the Jim and Kriti bits compelling. Also Jim got to genuinely act and do more than be hammy during some of the flashback stuff!

• Forget the Raabta part, I am now fascinated with the idea of a reincarnation romance where they DON’T end up together again. I would love that! Like, they have this magical mystical connection, but on the other hand her fiancee in the present is a really nice guy and they have a lot in common. And eventually after she works through her whole passionate rediscovered love thing, she realizes she actually loves the other guy.

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 2:46 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Honestly there were so many “Jim being creepy and weird” moments in that movie that I ended up finding out hilarious. The bit where Kriti walks out of a room and Jim says something along the lines of “really not even one kiss for your fiancé? This is a weird start to our relationship” just cracks me up because of the way how he says it. Also the nice serious background music added to the hilarity

• YES! And Jim was obviously playing it that way, right? Like he looked at the script and realized it would be way more entertaining and creepy to play it comic than to play it with over the top villiany. I find the whole movie delightfully light, like they knew it was a seriously melodramatic ridiculous idea and they just went with it for pure entertainment. Also, the moment at the end when Varun Sharma grabs a machine gun (seriously?) and does a classic action hero spraying with bullets move.

• lol yes, the entire final part is so OTT, it was funny rather than threatening. I mean, he does his best with the material but the character is just not written consistently.

5. Y’all talking about Raabta makes me realize that I barely remember the movie other than Ik Vaari Aa. What do you mean Varun Sharma grabs a machine gun?!? 🙂

• It’s amazing! During the big explosions helicopter ship ending, Varun grabs a machine gun to save them.

It’s worth a rewatch!

On Sat, Oct 12, 2019 at 10:45 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. Thanks for the Ek Tha Tiger recommendation! That was a perfect Salman movie to watch with the boys. Probably my favorite action Salman I’ve seen so far (small sample size). It’s also a great action role for Kat, that’s exactly the kind of running+leaping+fighting role I was picturing for her and she’s just as good at it as I’d imagined. She and Salman are good together, but I wonder if it’s also just that the roles she does in Salman movies are especially well suited to her? A bit of charm, some serious gazing, and ample use of her physicality, which is where she excels.

Another Hindi/Spanish song to add to my very small collection :). Salman fakes salsa dancing pretty well for a few seconds there.

• I also think Katrina relaxes onscreen when she is with Salman. Usually I find her slightly closed off, like she is a little nervous and unhappy. But with Salman, she is just at peace. Onscreen and off really, something about the two of them together is just nice.

And yes to the action role! She has even more action in the sequel, but it’s a lot darker, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it. Did you see the discussion on the War post of recasting it? Can you imagine Kat as the dead sexy hardened commando trainer who has crazy chemistry with her adoring naive young recruit Alia/Shraddha/Pari/Sara/Jhanvi?

• I just watched Tiger Zinda Hai tonight and it’s darker but also really silly in a lot of ways. American army generals with British accents, ISIS terrorists with American accents and the guy playing the Osama Bin Laden-type character sounded like Tony Montana from the Al Pacino version of Scarface. Katrina was totally kick ass though. The movie improved 100% whenever she showed up.

• Yes! In my review I think I talked about it as a movie that was cursed a bit by it’s lead couple. Kat and Salman were so interesting onscreen together, that the rest of the movie kind of paled in comparison.

Did you recognize Anupriya Goenka from War? She was the head nurse.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 11:46 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: