Why Can’t I Remember More Post-Marriage Romances? Can You?

This came up in the comments, and my mind is a blank! So weird! I’m hoping you can help me before I go insane trying to remember things I just can’t remember.

Movies where the hero and heroine are not in love, and then they get married, and in the process of having a married life together they end up falling in love.

Literally the only one I can remember right now is Paheli, but that just can’t be true. There must be others, right? Oh oh! Roja! And Mr. and Mrs. 55! Okay, I’m out.

What else am I missing?

48 thoughts on “Why Can’t I Remember More Post-Marriage Romances? Can You?

• Maybe? I mean, Shashi and Raakhee for sure, but there is so painfully little of them. In my Ideal Kabhi Kabhi, where it is 3 hours of Shashi teasing Raakhee and then blowing her mind with sex, absolutely.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 7:55 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. Movies: Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam, Jeet, Namaste London, Dhadkan, Shubh Mangal Savdhan, to some extent Sui Dhaaga,

TV Show and IMO the absolute best depiction of the man and women falling in love post marriage: Humsafar!

• Wooo, HUMSAFAR! Totally agree. It’s sweet and romantic and very specific to the situation of being formally connected without actually knowing each other.

Shubh Mangal Saavdhan though? I might call error on that since they don’t get married until the very very end.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:13 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Definitely an error! Sorry about that. I meant Dum Lagaa Ke Haisha. Also, just thought of another one Hum Aapke Dil Mein Rehte Hai even though I really really dislike that movie.

• Hum Aapke Dil Main REhta Hai is the Kajol-Anil one? I have never watched it because it just sounded too WEIRD!

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:55 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yupp. Another movie where the protagonists annoy me so much and that must have taken a lot of effort given that it is nearly impossible for me to dislike Anil and Kajol.

• I was debating that. I think only if we count the opening sequence as the marriage ceremony, and then everything past that as “post-marriage”.

2. The newest: Kettiyollaanu Ente Maalakha.
    Also Manmarziyaan
    Dum Laga Ke Haisha
    Sillunu Oru Kadhal (Surya, Jyotika – nice story about an arranged couple who falls in love and have great chemistry + sexy bedroom scene)
    Daasi (1981 Sanjeev Kumar movie – a poor girl romances Rakesh Roshan and hopes he will marry her. But he leaves her. Her family arrange the wedding with some other guy who dies before tying the knot. Considered unlucky the girl is quickly married to a blind musician. She doesn’t know he is blind and when she finds out after the wedding she starts hating him. Later after knowing him better she falls in love . He also loves her. But then evil Rakesh returns and separates them 😉 Rekha also is in this film. The movie is on youtube with subtitles:

One person was in love and the other fell in love after the wedding:
    Ran Ne Bana Di Jodi
    Baarsat (2005 one. Its trash but I love it)
    Aaina
    Namastey London

There is also Angrezi Mein Kehte Hain – it’s not exactly what you asked, because it’s about a middle-age guy who ignores his wife. Only when she leaves him, he realizes he should have worked harder and tries to win her back.

• I knew you would be Here For Me. Love Manmarziyaan, love Aaina. Although Manmarziyaan would also be in the “one person is in love” category a little bit, right?

Should I watch trashy Baarsaat?

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:36 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• In Barsat Bobby Deol is so disappointed that he must marry Priyanka Chopra that right after the wedding he flees to Canada and doesn’t come to have sex with his beautiful wife even once. If you can accept this kind of ridiculousness you can watch, otherwise skip.

But their barsaat song is very sexy and I now feel like rewatching the movie:

• But, so flawed! Her backstory is RIDICULOUS. I continue to think they should have just made her a schoolgirl who didn’t want marriage.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 8:37 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Would “Bahurani”, an early 60s Guru Dutt – Mala Sinha movie fit? He’s a simple, timid guy abused by his stepmother and stepbrother who marries smart and tough village belle Mala Sinha who proceeds to kick evil stepmom and brother’s asses while falling in love with gentle Guru.

I’m sure there are a ton of old movies with the “love-after-marriage” plot, but I’m having trouble recalling them.

4. Do you mean Post-Wedding romance?

Post-Marriage sounds like a romance btwn 2 people after they divorce each other or annul their marriage.

Remember our discussion of Indian English vs American English? Looks like you’ve adopted Indian English here.

For actual post-marriage:
    The ending/epilogue of Manmarziyaan

For post-wedding:
    The ending/epilogue of Kal Ho Naa Ho

Also, not sure if I’m correct with these, for post-wedding…
    Billu (Barber)
    Guru

• Hmm. Guru yes, and one of my favorites and I am kicking myself for not including it. But Billu there is this tossed off thing late in the film about why Irrfan left the home village and fell down in the world, he fell in love and married a woman of a different caste (Lara).

Very impressed that you found an actual “post-marriage” romance option!

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 3:56 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I was on tenterhooks the first time I watched it, desperately sending vibes to Urmila that she HAD to stay with Manoj! I was sure she was going to leave him and he would be all stoic and everything. Maybe I’m dumb. Anyway, it was a happy surprise.

5. You’re forgetting Alaipayuthey!

Also have you seen Raja Rani? It’s not a great movie but it’s a decent one time watch that I would consider to be a post-wedding romance. Also, Majili from last year fits this category as well.

• I guess it does! I was going to complain because there wasn’t enough post-marriage conflict, but then Preity is the conflict! Otherwise it is the same as any other movie about falling in love after marriage.

On Thu, Jan 30, 2020 at 9:09 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. I’m surprised no one mentioned Deewana. Shah Rukh marries a widow who he has sort of stalked and then won over her mother in law when he saves them from goons.But then sexiest wedding night scene. She’s waiting all sad and he comes in in white pajamas and says, marriage is more than physical. I will always love you but I won’t touch you till you love me. Which of course later she does!

7. There is another movie: Kalyana Vaibhogame. I haven’t seen it myself but have it on “To watch” list. It’s about a man and a woman who don’t want to marry but are forced by their families. They decide to get temporarily married so that they can pursue their dreams without disturbance. Of course they fall in love durning the time they live together.

• Oh yeah! And that’s a definite one where neither was in love before the wedding, and then fell in love after.

On Fri, Jan 31, 2020 at 9:57 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

8. Did my Deewana post not get there? It was SRK’s first movie shown. I love it for ‘best entrance’ but it is about falling in love post marriage. He loves, sort of stalks a young widow, gets her sweet mother in law to care for him and let him marry the daughter in law. On the wedding night (one of my fave romantic scenes..he comes in in his white pajamas and she is sitting all decked out in her wedding finery looking very unhappy. He says, ” Love is not just the physical. I will always love you but I will not touch you unless you fall in love with me, ” guess what happens….

9. Ohh Chupke Chupke with Dharmendra and Sharmila is mainly post marriage. Beta with Anil and Madhuri. Coolie No 1 too.

How about KANK? I can’t remember it much. Saathiya?

• Beta yes, Coolie I still haven’t seen 😦 But the others might be more “in love before marriage and then more in love after” versus “not in love before marriage, all romance after.