Discussion Post: What Not Very Famous Actor Do We Irrationally LIKE?

I did the “mean” version of this a couple of days ago and it was wildly successful, let’s see if the “nice” version can be equally popular.

This is inspired by me watching Shimla Mirchi and finding myself going “Oh yay! It’s Rakul Preet!” and then thinking “there is no real reason I should like Rakul Preet”. And then thinking about all the other actors that I like for no reason. Not, like, I think they are undiscovered gems and I want to proselytize and convince others to love them. It’s not even that logical. I just really like them in my own head. Who do you really like in your own head?

I’ll give you some of mine!

Rakul Preet Singh: I saw her in Spyder and thought “this actress is ridiculously sexualized”. And then I saw her in Aiyaary and thought “well, she’s game in a thankless role”. And then I saw her in De De Pyaar De and thought “huh! She’s stuck in another thankless role and doing her best! I respect that.” And finally, I saw her in Shimla Mirchi and went “Hey! Rakul Preet Singh! I like her”. Why do I like her? Not sure. I just do.

Image result for rakul preet singh

Satish Shah: He has a mustache! He smiles all the time! How can you not love him? Not that I’ve ever seen him give a great performance, or really do anything beyond play a pleasant uncle-y type. And yet, I love him!

Image result for satish shah

Sidharth Malhotra: Okay, he’s on the more famous side. But there’s still no real reason for me to like him that much. He’s very prettier, but I’ve seen prettier. He’s not a good dancer, he’s not a great actor, but by golly he tries. And somehow, I just get a real sweet “nice guy” vibe from him.

Image result for sidharth malhotra

Who are yours? Random people you go “Oh, I like them!” when they show up on screen?

54 thoughts on “Discussion Post: What Not Very Famous Actor Do We Irrationally LIKE?

• Amit Sadh was so cute in this show Guns n Roses years ago. Very pretty and hot too.

And how are we defining pretty here? Isn’t young Shashi prettiest of them all?

• You are absolutely correct, young Shashi is the prettiest of them all.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 4:18 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• 2000s John Abraham. No one has been prettier, before or since, and that’s arguably true internationally in the 2000s decade too.

Sid M is the hottest guy at school. John abraham, Hrithik, even harsh kapoor, are too beautiful to have gone to your school, or to any school, probably home schooled lol.

• Yes! Sid M is the dreamy guy down the block, the other fellows are just untouchable so you can’t even imagine knowing them.

Sid really needs to be in more rom-coms as the cute boy who notices the plain girl. Although I also really love the way his “boy next door but handsome” looks were used in Ittefaq.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 6:07 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. Priyanshu Painyuli – but his name is so hard for my American mind to remember, so I think of him as that beautiful soulful boy. I saw him in Bhavesh Joshi Superhero and I just couldn’t take my eyes off him, and his chemestry with the other male co-star was so great. I tried to watch his netflix movie but I so don’t care about start-ups I couldn’t finish it. Still I saw a lot of the film just to see him on a screen.

Saurabh Shukla – it was Raid that made me realize he was wonderful, but sometimes I get him confused with Manoj Pahwa.

Reema Lagoo – the most beautiful mother ever, who sometimes looked the same age as her children. I’m not sure she is a fabulous actress, but she just glows on screen.

Jim Sarbh – His face is so interesting, he just makes you look at him. And even when he is playing a dick, I don’t want him to leave the screen.

I’m having such a hard time thinking of any unfamous younger female actresses I like, but then I think I haven’t SEEN many unfamous younger female actresses.

• However much I might want it, I don’t think it’s going to happen for Jim. I haven’t seen him get anything interesting for at least a year, and he participated in the protests recently, so unless someone takes him up and writes him something (his Columbo) it will not be. I don’t even know if he’s going to make character acting happen for him, most of what he’s done lately is modelling or sponsorship stuff. He’s doing well in theatre and streaming and that will probably be his legacy.

• Yes Jim Sarbh in Columbo! Yes yes YES! That is what I want! ALTBalaji (or Prime), make it happen for me!

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 8:21 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Didn’t Farhan Akhtar also participate? The idea that those who participated will be blackballed is painful, though I appreciate your pointing it out. But then, I’m not sure fame is the only goal for Sarbh. He enjoys theater work, perhaps for him good acting is the primary motivator? But I don’t get to see his theater work so I want him in films, with big roles. His tiny appearance in Yeh Ballet was like a tease. Despite the gray he is only 32, and his looks will probably keep him interesting on screen until he is a senior citizen. Hopefully his legacy will be much more than what we have today.

• I don’t know what he wants. He seems depressed about the state of his career sometimes to me. Maybe he will focus on theatre even more and that will give him satisfaction. I know what I want though, lol, and I can’t see him in theatre either so I want movies.

I don’t know if they will be blackballed, we will have to wait and see. Maybe he will have to move abroad! To a nice free country without censorship like here!

• I could easily see him having an Anupam kind of career, playing father parts by the time he is 35 and just skating by in the same kind of roles for eternity.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 12:02 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I love Gulshan Deviah, he’s crazy talented and a little crazy. He was fantastic in Mard Ko Dard Nahin Hota and now I notice him popping up in little roles in mainstream films like Ram-Leela. He’s also good on Twitter.

Mohnish Bahl, I always enjoy him when he pops up in old films, whether he’s playing a villain or nice guy.

In the Malayalm industry, Soubin Shahir is so great, he’s a character actor who can grab your attention like a leading man. Love him.

For women, Farida Jalal isn’t exactly unfamous but she’s always in the background being awesome.

More recent women, Anupriya Goenka took her tiny role in War and made it cool. I feel like she’s someone who could maybe break out in a bigger role.

On the Malayalam side, Anna Ben was fantastic in Kumbalangi Nights and Helen and is going to have a big career ahead of her.

• Love Mohnish Bahl!

Anupriya Goenka got crazy buzz after Tiger Zinda Hai but now (tragically) I think she has fallen back to the “not very famous” level.

I decided I couldn’t include any Malayalam options because I kept thinking of people like Soubin who in any other industry would be unfamous character actors, but are actually kind of famous in weird weird Kerala.

3. I absolutely adore Sidharth Malhotra despite how much I shouldn’t. He’s not a good actor, not a good dancer, he can even be boring in interviews sometimes. But he does seem like a really stand up guy, sweet, polite, really passionate about his work, and really tries. But I do think he’s unbelievably handsome, one of the most attractive men in my opinion, so that’s probably a huge part of it.

• Attractive, but not egotistical about it. He takes a lot of roles that are about more than just his looks, and he doesn’t try to skate by on them. Just a nice good guy.

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 10:13 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

Liked by 2 people

4. Sigh – Uday Chopra. He looks like a chipmunk and his pumped up body was kind of repulsive but – I like him! I really enjoyed his unglamourous turn in the movie Pyaar Impossible. When he’s not doing the leading man schtick, he is very…..okay.

• Yes! I don’t super like Uday Chopra, but this is the exact kind of actor I was thinking of. “Aww, I like him” and at the same time “awww, he’s not very talented.”

5. Jim, of course. Also Harsh K., Amit Sadh, Meezaan Jafery, and for the women Taapsee and Kriti (does she count?). Kriti isn’t even particularly good or attractive but there’s just something about her I like. Kalki I also love, of course, but I think she’s pretty well known too.

• I don’t know if Taapsee counts in this category any more. She’s jumped from “oh yeah her” level to “ah, a Taapsee Pannu kind of role” level.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 1:44 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Watch it! He is so handsome, and the best part is that the director knew it well and wasn’t scared to show it; so we can enjoy Meezaan being romantic and unbuttoned in the rain, Meezaan fighting in the rain, Meezaan playing cricket in very nice pants.

• Kriti has a lot of potential but hasn’t had a major opportunity to show her strengths since Bareilly Ki Barfi. She’s also really well spoken. I love watching her interviews, she seems very smart.

• I watched it. It was cute and fun and sweet, but honestly completely forgettable except for maybe two song sequences where Kartik and Kriti are just being adorable together.

• It was the kind of movie I was thinking about when I said Shimla Mirchi was a sweet low budget love story that FOR ONCE had all the time and budget it needed. The Kriti Karthik movie was cute, but somehow felt so rushed it wasn’t even complete.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 4:04 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. I love Satish Shah! He was so good in one of my favorite shows of all time – Sarabhai vs Sarabhai. Actually the whole cast of the show qualifies as not famous actors that I love irrationally.

Samir Soni – I don’t think he’s the best actor ever but I still like him so much.

Rajeev Khandelwal – He is a good actor and very good looking but unfortunately not as famous as he should be. So I think he qualifies. Seriously how does someone like Arjun Kapoor keep getting chance after change but this guy doesn’t?

Sweta Tiwari – I really like her.

Eijaz Khan – I find him very good looking.

Aneurin Barnard – So cute and loved him as Richard III in The White Queen. The show wasn’t good but I became a fan of the guy.

Andy Bean – He was the lead of the short lived The Swamp Thing. Very handsome and can sing too.

Javed Jaffrey – He really should be more famous that he is. Love the guy.

• Excellent choices! And I know they aren’t that famous, because Jaaved Jaafrey and Samir Soni (Jhaankar Beats FOREVER!) are the only ones I knew without looking them up.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 4:46 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I am! Okay, Samir Soni is the horrible son in Baghban and the horrible boyfriend in Lajja. Nah, I don’t like him. Those two roles turned me off him forever.

• Totally understand. Has happened to me too, more than once – one character manged to turn me off an actor, case in point Robert Pattison and Twilight.

But Soni was so cute and loser-in-love in the hindi remake of Ugly Betty and then so hot in “Bewafaa sii Wafaa”.

• Okay question for Priyanka. I aboslutely adore Sarabhai vs Sarabhai (so does my sister) But, would you recommend it to Margaret or the broader DCIB community? I am honestly not sure. I feel like Margaret would be a good test subject to see if others would enjoy it. Is it too nuanced and will the jokes make sense? If Margaret wants to watch it, I would have to recommend powering through the first 4-5 episodes and only watch Season 1.

7. Shreyas Talpade – He has such a cute face and I loved him and his chemistry with SRK in ‘OSO’, still have to see the Golmaal movies, but seeing him in Ankh Marey made me so happy

Jim – same as everyone. An interesting face, good acting and fascinating to watch

Sid – Same with you here that he is pretty and tries hard and overall a good guy

Nora Fatehi – I haven’t seen her act, but her dancing skills are just killers and she is savvy enough to go into the production and singing side early on and make her talents more broadly known then just staying in the ‘item girl’ slot all her life

Raima Sen – Loved her in ‘Parineeta’ and ‘Eklavya’ and when she is in a film the word ‘quality’ just comes up in my head, she also has such a unique interesting face

Nushrat Bharucha – Ever since ‘Akaash Vaani’ I’ve liked her and I hope she gets meatier roles going forward with the success of ‘Dream Girl’ because she has the range

• Yes Nushrat!!!! I both like her and respect her, I think she is a legitimately good actress. But I also want good things for her.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 5:53 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

8. I had the same reaction when I saw Rakul Preet Singh in Shimla Mirchi. Only few weeks earlier I watched Marjaavan, and liked her a lot in it, so seeing her again was a nice surprise.

Other actresses I like very much are Sonakshi Sinha, Aditi Rao Hydari and Sanya Malhotra (but she is more “she is so talented I want more people to acknowledge it”). Also Anajli Patil.
    Subodh Bhave from marathi industry. From Kerala Anoop Menon (I’m thinking about subscribing to my hated Zee5 only to watch one of his movies I can’t find nowhere else, so maybe I can be called fan at this point). I also like Miya and I’m happy to see her on screen.
    From “older” hindi actors I always liked Bobby Deol and I really don’t know why. Isha Koppikar and Shamita Shetty never were the most popular but I still liked them.

• Yes Bobby Deol! I don’t find him attractive, or even charismatic, but he shows up and I go “aww. Bobby!”

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 2:43 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

9. Outside of this blog, my two answers would be Kunal Kapoor and Akshaye Khanna. But on this blog, these 2 are considered entirely rational choices. 15 years ago i would also have Maddy on the list, but i think he’s well accepted as being the Thinking Womans Man Candy of the 2010s.

Current women – Radhika Madhan, Sayani Gupta, geetika vidya ohlyan, sobhita dhulipala, shivani raguvanshi, cosign on anna ben and anjali patil, agree on anupriya. I wanna see swara bhaskar back on my screen. Divya Dutta is a hidden gem. I was excited about Nimrat Kaur but she doesn’t seem to be getting much work on India.

Compare Geetika in Soni to Alia in Gully Boy and see what i mean. Then watch Geetika in Thappad to witness her range from role to role. I’m sold, I’ll watch whatever she’s in next. (P.S. I highly recommend watching Soni, what a pleasant surprise, an absolute gem of a movie, and unexpectedly excellent on the technical side too).

Current men – absolutely cosign on Jim Sarbh, Gulshan Devaiah. Vikrant massey – liking him isn’t irrational, but the degree to which i like him might be.

Seasoned men – absolutely cosign on Uday Chopra, Javed Jaffrey. “Middle aged ABCDs” is a very niche demographic, but Uday Chopra – his looks, his hair, and his schtick – reminds me of every guy from the ABCD students association from my (USA) college undergrad days. I saw Javed Jaffrey live in a theater production… film and TV do not begin to capture his charisma, magnetism, and sheer hottness. Kay Kay Menon, i think i and his wife are the only 2 women on the planet that “get” this guy as a magnetic man. Southern Sid 2.0 aka middle aged variety has really got my attention, and he qualifies as “little known” in the north.

ARK slipped into “not very famous” status very rapidly after Aashiqui 2, so he might have been my first choice, but he’s recently attempting to reclaim A-list status.

Fahadh Faasil is well known in his industry but i can’t figure why Bollywood wanted dulquer instead of fahadh after Bangalore days? If these two were wingmen, Dulquer would be the Opener, the handsome one that the ladies notice when he walks into the room, but Fahadh would be the Closer, then one you end up having a one on one conversation with because he’s mysterious, interesting, soulful, and looks you directly in the eye when he talks, like you have his undivided attention.

• YES Sayani Gupta!!!! I love her and she is totally someone that I get excited and happy whenever she shows up onscreen. I don’t even necessarily want her to get famous or have bigger roles, I just want her to keep working steadily as the assistant or the heroine’s friend or whatever. She brings so much to those tiny parts.

Love your description of Uday as the middle-aged NRI. This should be his lane. And now I want to see him as, like, the lead of a sitcom in that role. Oh yeah, that would be good. He can be a dentist and Sayani can be his receptionist and he can be looking for love in a series of humorous mishaps every week.

On Sun, Mar 8, 2020 at 5:52 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I just want to jump in and say I am nodding vigorously for your Geetik Vaidya-Alia & Dulquer-Fahadh comparisons. Also co sign on Radhika Madan,Sobhita,Swara Bhaskar,Sayani Gupta & Gulshan Devaiah.

• Leaping off of that Dulquer/Fahad point, I assumed that Fahad just didn’t want a Hindi career. He does such interesting work in such interesting films in Kerala, why give that up?

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020 at 2:32 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• That maybe true. He said in a recent interview that for the kind of roles he does, Malayalam is the most suitable industry despite having offers from Mani Ratnam, Vishal Bharadwaj etc.

10. I don’t know if it’s really irrational to like these people? None of them is bad, just not so famous.

Saurabh Shukla. He can make a small uncle part interesting and he’s a great villain.

Rahul Bose I think should have had a career like Nawaz, but maybe he didn’t want it. He’s directed a couple of things and maybe that’s what he wants to do.

Paoli Dam is mostly known in the Hindi industry for Hate Story and I think she may have a reputation as someone who’s sexy in bad films, but she’s had a much broader career in Bengali movies and I quite enjoy watching her.

Agree about Sid! I hold out hope that he will turn into a great actor as he becomes less pretty with age.

11. Konkana Sen Sharma, Avinash Tiwari, Tripti Damri, Sanya Malhotra,Radhika Madan, Vikrant Massey. Sai Pallavi is famous but I don’t think she is getting the roles/fame that she deserves. In Malayalam- Roshan Mathews blew me in Muthoon. He deserves more leading roles & fame.