RACHEL! What Movie Do You Want to Watch This Friday?

Hey Rachel! In my charmingly creepy stalker way, I have remembered that you have a special day this weekend! So you get to pick ANY MOVIE YOU WANT for us to watch on Friday. Oh, and also the time so you can join in, I know you are Pacific time (again, charmingly creepy), so mid-afternoon my time may be tricky. We can bump it later or earlier just this once 🙂

My parameters for picking movies are that they have to have a happy ending, be cheerful, and not be so serious and deep that we can’t talk over them.

But hey, I “know” you, I can’t imagine you would want to watch a serious depressing sad ending movie at any time, let alone for a DCIB watchalong. So pick what you like! I trust you!

(Just to be clear, NOT THIS)

Raees Teaser | Shah Rukh Khan I Mahira Khan | Nawazuddin Siddiqui ...

(YES THIS!!!!)

Chennai Express : Lesser Known Facts

40 thoughts on “RACHEL! What Movie Do You Want to Watch This Friday?

1. MARGARET! I’m so so so so excited. I love my birthday and I’m the most excited to spend part of my weekend with my peeps here at DCIB! I am deeply honored and delighted!

Ok so I know this may be an obvious choice and you’ve probably used this for a watchalong before but I can’t imagine any better way to spend Friday than watching JAB HARRY MET SEJAL with people who love it as much as I do! I want to revel in Shah Rukh’s greatness and hotness with a team.

Is there any chance we can do 4 PM Pacific? My cousin is driving up from San Diego to do some safe outside work at my house and he will leave by then to drive home. I feel bad leaving him alone and not at least chatting 6 feet away while he slaves fixing my outdoor lighting and driving 2 hours each way.

Let me know if that’s doable…after all there’s never a bad time for seeking what your heart is seeking after all, it’s what’s seeking you.

• 4pm (6pm Central, 7pm Eastern) works for me! And hopefully for other people, although we may lose Kirre. Oh! But we might gain Sal! So it balances. Also, I really want FilmiKudhi: The One Who Doesn’t Like Jab Harry Met Sejal to join us. And of course also Genevieve: The One Who Doesn’t Like Dogs. Not that the dog thing is related, I just like watching movies with Genevieve.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 8:26 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I could not be more excited! Umm doesn’t like dogs? What? Genevieve we need to talk. Also happening during this special home time? Huxley’s dream come true!

Meet Texas, soon to be called Cosmo! Coming home around Memorial Day. Here he is w his mom.

And now I wonder how I shall distinguish myself and be given a title. Perhaps The One Who Didn’t Hate Jab Tak Hai Jaan.

• Sorry, there are multiple people who Don’t Hate Jab Tak Hain Jaan. They are just very very quiet about it. You want a real shock? Shreyans is The One Who Doesn’t Like Shahrukh. !!!!!!

And that is just the cutest puppy. A question arises however, won’t he be bigger than Hux in about 6 months? Not that I’m anyone to talk, my parents got a border collie/husky puppy when I was 3 years old and she basically ignored me until I got to be about 10 and out weighed her.

On Mon, Apr 27, 2020 at 10:49 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Texas is very cute, I just don’t want him at my house or biting my children. I don’t hate dogs, I just don’t love them. I’m surrounded by people who love dogs. I love the people, and the people love the dogs, we co-exist. My husband likes to tell our children that they are five times better than a dog. I do have one friend, Shauna, who will go to a dog shelter and come back with the best dogs EVER. They are like giant cats who love to exercise. Shauna has the best dogs. Although one of Shauna’s dogs did steal an entire pizza off our table when we were really poor and couldn’t really afford another…. and that might be why I don’t want dogs in my house. Oh, and I like Jab Tak Hain Jaan, but the bridge totally should have blown up the end. It didn’t and thus the point of the movie was that God doesn’t exist?

• To my mind, the point of the end of JTHJ is that God DOES exist and Katrina has been driving him crazy, thus him doing everything he could to bring her to the point of realizing that he doesn’t make bargains. There must be a God, otherwise it’s just too much of a coincidence for SRK to keep being hit by cars and things.

She still should have been married though. I can understand a person thinking God punishes sins and rewards giving them up, but not God just wanting you to give up stuff you love to make him do stuff for you.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 6:52 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I grew up in a very religious home and there was a direct that God was indeed watching you all the time. I was actually worried as a child that I couldn’t even THINK something wrong because god would know and punish me. Not a happy-go-lucky environment!

• I was just talking about this with my parents! See, I got it into my head as a small child that God is always watching me, in order to figure out what to do. As in, I am smarter than God and it is my job to give him directions. Thus prayer. This is an idea that I have maybe not yet given up yet. For example, today I am wearing leggings instead of a skirt and I am worried because, in my mind, God is up there in Heaven going “is it time to turn the heat on for summer? What’s Margaret wearing? Leggings? Better turn the thermometer back down, rainy tomorrow.”

It’s just an overwhelming responsibility.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 11:55 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• This is a book. Seriously. Or an amazing screenplay. But if you’re letting God know what to do, please make sure Alia-Ranbir is not happening.

Liked by 2 people

• I’ve been telling him!!!!! Also, I wanted a girl dog and he gave me Albie instead. And I always kind of wanted curly hair.

It’s like dealing with a 6 year old sometimes, God gets these little ideas in his head and won’t let go of them no matter how much I tell him to be different.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 1:31 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• He’s so stubborn. On the new One Day at a Time, Rita Moreno as the grandmother, Lydia, talks to god all the time. Her granddaughter Elena in her hyper-feminist mode says “Abuelita, what if god is a woman?”,

• Also, very shallow comment, but can you believe Rita Moreno was 86 during the filming of that show?! I want to look like that when I am 86!

• She is AMAZING. Plus Norman Lear still working intensively this show at 97? Incredible.

• To which Abuelita replies, “Of course God is a man, if God was a woman we would have less problems. Pobrecito God, he tries so hard.”

• I love that someone else loves this show as much as I do! I was so sad when I found out that it would not be renewed.

• If you have any kind of TV login like satellite or cable or even if you can borrow the login from a friend you can watch it on pop TV.com. That’s what we do, since our old house automatically had DIRECTV and they never shut off the account because they owed us a dollar. I’ve kept the login that way so I can use it since we don’t have cable or satellite at home.

• I always wake up perky! Also, I made my own cold brew coffee last night. It’s like coffee shop cold brew, but twice as potent. WOOT!

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 7:08 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• This entire conversation made my morning! Texas/Cosmo is adorable. Also, Genevieve, I love my puppy but I threaten to send him back to the farm like 5 times a day (especially when he decided to pee and poop multiple times on my kitchen floor in a 30 minute time period, after he had just peed and pooped outside!) He’s lucky he’s so adorable.

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll be able to join. I have zoom family game night with my family and my husband’s family starting at 4:30 PT.

I am actually really bummed I am missing this too, because I had a secret that I was waiting to share until inevitably we ended up watching the movie on a Friday. I watched this movie a couple months ago by myself and LOVED it. My goodness I have had a rollercoaster ride with this movie. I was so hoping to watch it again with y’all and see if I felt the same way.

Also, in case I forget to wish you on Friday, happy happy birthday, Rachel!

• BOOOO!!!! I don’t want you to miss! But at least you can read along the comments later. And I am deeeee-lighted to learn that we have won you over to the Right side. Someday Genevieve will find a dog she loves, and Shreyans will learn to love SRK, and then all will be right in my world.

Since you are now a JHMS convert, I can heartily recommend Love Aaj Kal 2020 to you too! Like JHMS, you really need to watch focusing on it and without anyone around giving you bad vibes. But I love it, and it is another internal love story thing.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 8:08 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Ha! This time when I watched JHMS, maybe because of the mood I was in, I really enjoyed how equally broken they both were until the other person comes into their lives. Plus the chemistry – I loved that it was not one-sided at all. I still like Love Aaj Kal a little bit more but JHMS went way up the list for Imtiaz Ali films.

• Oh you should definitely watch Love Aaj Kal 2020! All about broken people and stuff.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 10:41 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Ha. I did and will comment on that review shortly. So it’s interesting how I liked JHMS because they were two broken/half pieces that helped each other fully become whole individually. And that is why they are perfect for each other. Where as I loved Love Aaj Kal because they both whole individuals who needed to come on to their own separately and then choose to be together.

• Imtiaz just has the coolest way of looking at relationships! I still think it would be really interesting to see his take on siblings or parent-child, or even just friends. His movies are always two character relationship dramas, that just happen to be structured around romantic love.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 10:55 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• You know it’s funny…I was not at all a dog person pretty much until
            I was in my 20s. There was a super adorable dog down the hall in grad school but I was terrified of him. His name was Jerry and he loved me so that he would bound down the hall to me and I would pray for the elevator to open before he reached me.

One of my friends brought her dog in his crate to synagogue and he sat in the back…I fell madly in love with him – so I decided that if I could have one like him I would be happy. We ended up getting the same breed…wirehaired dachshund…and the rest truly is history because he was one of the great loves of my life.

Bart was like an extension of my flesh. I love him with all my heart and he was truly a soulmate of mine.

Anyway he passed away at 16 1/2 and I miss him every single day. Now we have Georgie and she’s a doll of a gal but it’s never felt the same. To me they’re just like people, or babies who never really grow up in a good way.

And yes, Margaret, Texas (Cosmo!) is going to be bigger than hug soon but Hux should catch him around the time you mention. The foster called Texas a ‘gentle giant’ so he’s likely to be a big one! He’s a shepherd mix so it’s hard to tell…

• I have a theory that everyone has that one “real” dog in their life. Mine was the one we got when I was 3, every other dog forever and ever is going to be judged against her and found wanting. My Grandpa is the same, he had a dog when he was a teenager which was apparently The Best Dog in the World. To this day, age 98, we are talking about dogs and he will say “but not as good as Blackie”. I like that mine was the 3 year old dog, because I started life on the right foot, plus I had a dog to help raise me which was nice. But I also kind of resent it because I wasted my one Real dog back when I was so young I couldn’t fully enjoy her.

What I am saying is, this may or may not be Hux’s one Real dog, but either way is good! He gets to grow up with his dog and have memories for the rest of his life, or else he gets to find his Real dog as an adult. Both my parents had family dogs growing up, but their adulthood dog easily superceded those.

As a small child, I also quite enjoyed having a big dog. We could snuggle against her and we didn’t have to worry about hurting her and we really did feel safe home alone with her.

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 11:06 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Rachel – I was the same as you with with dogs. Until about 10 years ago, I was terrified of dogs. I think it came from my first’s boyfriend’s giant husky jumping on me, knocking me down, and them humping me like a lunatic. It was horrifying . But then, I helped a close friend, who picks the best dogs bring home a rescue Australian Shepard mix teenage puppy (9 months old) over 11 years ago and he is wonderful. He will forever be my soulmate. He is even a therapy dog for veterans. Then my sister got a dog that was also super sweet, so I finally decided to get one.

• My friend Shauna, the great dog picker, had the best line. One day, while driving to take our then babies on hike, a love song came on the radio, and Shauna sighed and covered her heart. “All love songs make me think of my dog.” She said, because she knew her dog would die. First love, joy, pain and loss, whenever she hears it in a song she thinks of her dog.

2. I can make it! It might be midnight here, but will be watching it with all of you 😀 Just have to make sure the internet works since I’ll be at our summer cottage celebrating Vappu with the family (we’ll be the only ones there).

Rachel, your birthday basically falls on our version of Mardi Gras (but with student caps) celebrations! So double whammy on celebrations for that you!!