What Movie Should We Watch This Friday to Celebrate Mother’s Day?

Help me! What is a fun completely happy and also easy to snark at movie that would be appropriate for Mother’s Day? Doesn’t even have to have a “good” mother in it.

Here’s what I can think of, which isn’t the best:

Pyaar Impossible (Prime)

Terribly catchy songs, Uday Chopra looks like a frog, Priyanka convinces no one in her abilities as a mother or a career woman, and yet it just makes me smile.

Mahanati (Prime)

It’s soapy and ridiculous and extremely inaccurate, but maybe that just makes it more fun to make fun of? There’s a scene where she sets fire to her mansion in a drunken stupor, and then carries out the wine bottles instead of HER DAUGHTER. It’s that kind of movie. And I refuse to take it seriously, join me in snark.

Baar Baar Dekho (Prime)

Katrina is a regular life kind of Mom with a spouse who has checked out of parenting a bit, and does a great job with it. Also, there’s time travel.

I’m not in love with any of those choices, although they are fine I guess. Give me more ideas! Or tell me that you are in love with one of my ideas and we should do that one!

(and no Irrfan or Rishi, I’ve decided it’s too depressing, with the exception of maybe 1970s Rishi movies because they have a natural joy that will carry us through)

46 thoughts on “What Movie Should We Watch This Friday to Celebrate Mother’s Day?

1. Try Nani – Mahesh Babu & Amisha Patel. Good songs by AR Rahman.
    From
    Naani is an Indian Telugu-language science fiction, romantic fantasy comedy film released in 2004. Below is an altime Telugu Mother’s Day song –

2. I feel like it has to be a movie with Reema Lagoo. Maybe Kuch Kuch Hota Hai because it has Reema and Farida in mom roles and Himani Shivpuri in a quasi-mom role. Or maybe a Sooraj Bharjatya movie since they always have mom roles – but they can also be terribly long movies so not sure everyone will have the time for it.

• We did Maine Pyar Kiya for a tweetalong a few years back, and that was kind of fun, it is just such a ridiculous movie. Kal Ho Na Ho would be a great very motherly choice, but too sad!

Kuch Kuch, I am concerned because I know there are people skulking in the shadows of DCIB who don’t actually like it, or think it is a good movie. We mustn’t draw them out.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 7:43 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oooo, that would be fun!

So long as we are talking Raakhee, Kabhi Kabhi? Or is it too sad right now?

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 7:51 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Probably no to Kabhi Kabhi. I dislike just about every character besides Shashi in that movie and I don’t think it would be respectful to have my full snark on display right now. Oh how about Amar Akbar Anthony?

• I love AAA!!! But then, who doesn’t? Here’s a funny problem with that one, it’s on Amazon and Netflix, but there’s a 5 minute difference between the two, so if we are watching as a group, we will be 5 minutes off from each other.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 8:00 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I don’t think so, I think more likely it is a matter that a scene or song is missing somewhere in the middle. I suppose I could have both systems running at once so I would know what is missing from Prime, but that seems like a lot of work!

Alternative is just to tell everyone “you can only watch it on Prime/Netflix, not DVD or anything else, because it won’t sync”.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 8:40 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I feel like it has to have Reema Lagoo, Rakhee, or Nirupa Roy. How many mother roles have those three been in?!

• Shah Rukh dies at the end… No!! No movies with sad endings, please. I’ll take Kabhi Kabhi over Baazigar.

• It’s so looooooooooooong! It’s just so very very looooooooooooooooooooong!!!

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 8:06 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh oh, what about Beta? Aruna Irani is probably one of the best evil-stepmothers out there and it also has Anil and Madhuri who most DCIBers enjoy.

• And it’s on Prime! But a 80s/90s movie? Might be a hard sell.

I know, I’m being difficult, but we’ve got loads of time to land on the perfect answer.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:12 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Speaking of a hard sell, you should be so proud of me for not recommending Dil Hai Tuhmara. I love that ridiculous movie but my goodness that would have been a hard sell. Oh oh, that makes me think, how about Yaadeein? That has lots of mom themes and the snark would be so amazing.

• Both weirdly unavailable! but I was sorely tempted by Dil Hai Tumhaara. Not because I love it, but because it is SO STUPID, I feel that would be the real snark winner.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:53 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. No need to do another ShahRukh movie after JHMS (I feel)…what about the “mother” of all Hindi mothers…”Mother India” ???

• I haven’t seen it, I’m nervous, is it okay?

Oh! What about Shirin Fahadh To Nikil Padi? With Daisy Irani as a scary mother?

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:36 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh oh!!!! Could we somehow claim her as a reason to watch Happy New Year for Mother’s Day????

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 11:42 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. You were mentioning Chori Chori Chupke Chupke as possible watch along. I think Rani’s extreme need to be a mother in that movie might qualify it.

• Ooooo, good one! Great songs, peppy Preity, ridiculous snark worthy plot, and it’s available for $2!

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 12:35 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. OK, what’s the one where Shahrukh (and somebodies else?) are sons that get murdered and then come back to revenge their mother (Kali Kali Kali Kali!!!!).

• I really considered Ente Ummante Peru! It’s definitely one of my favorite movies about motherhood. But I don’t know if I want to force my Hindi speakers to put up with a non-Hindi film.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 9:39 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Definitely a re-run! I’m gonna use Sunday to put up all the stuff that is so great with mothers and doesn’t get discussed. like that one, and also Dil Dhadakna Do, and any others I can think of.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 10:54 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. Yup naal refers to umbilical cord. It focuses on mother child relationship and protagonist is a child. It’s very endearing and adorable. It’s on zee5 , but can also be downloaded from Marathi movies channel on telegram. Marathi cinema is so humanistic. I saw it on a film festival in Delhi last year. It’s amazing.

• Oh that sounds great! Unfortunately, Zee5 if Evil and unavailable in the US at all. And I think the other one might be too. But on the flip side, perhaps the film is available in a different service here? I will explore.

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 10:38 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

7. Yes you must check it out. You can see the trailer on YouTube. The lead child actor of the movie also received national award last year for this role. It is produced by Nagraj Manjule, the director of Sairat. Nagaraj also acted in it.