Friday WatchAlong Aditya Chopra Week! To Befikre or to Not Befikre?

Woo-hoo, watchalong on Aditya Chopra week! Very limited set of options, I am excited to see what you all choose.

NO DDLJ!!!!! I reject it!!!! So we are left with the other lessor Adi movies to choose between.

Mohabbatein

So much to make fun of, good Shahrukh, good songs, bad costumes. Perhaps a little bit long and boring, but we will have all of us to keep ourselves awake.

Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

A very happy making movie. But perhaps a waste of a watchalong? We don’t need moral support to watch a legitimately good movie.

Befikre

My choice! Because I want to force you all to watch it and admit “hey, that wasn’t the best, but it wasn’t terrible”. On the other hand, is this all we should aspire to in Friday movies? “not terrible?” Also, no Shahrukh.

Okay, what are your votes???????

29 thoughts on “Friday WatchAlong Aditya Chopra Week! To Befikre or to Not Befikre?

• I tried to listen to one of Mohabbatein songs (the birthday day/cake party one) and couldn’t make it till the end. THEY ARE SO LONG! It’s like waiting at the bus stop and the bus is late by 20 minutes but in song form and it was too much for me…..that’s what happened in between…

Befikre is a breeze compared to one song of Mohabbatein. Also, so much less pain and drudgery dressed in pastels to go through. Also Paris. Farce in France and just so many more good things!

• WHAT! Missing a Friday Watchalong!!! This is Unacceptable!!!

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 8:54 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yesterday I drove 8 hours to avoid a mountain snow storm and bring my children to their grandparents. We were supposed to drive back thursday, but the thought of getting in a car is painful at this moment so we might extend our stay. We’ll see how I feel Thursday morning.

• And all I can think of is “Driving! Genevieve is so lucky to get to drive!!!!!” We go for family drives every Sunday, but I’m “the kid” so I sit in the backseat. There’s something so powerful and soothing about being in control of my own car. I gotta go for a drive this weekend.

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 9:22 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• “mountain snow storm”!!! Wow!!! You’re brave, Genevieve!
            I never could make it for a watch-along and I doubt I’ll make it this time…but IF, I won’t vote for Mohabbatein…If it is Befikre, I would like to know your thoughts about Aditiya “realize his dream”…

• Just to clarify I did not drive through the mountain snow storm. I chose to drive an additional hour and a half to go around the southern end of the mountains and thus hit only rain, because I am NOT snow storm brave.

1. I haven’t seen Mohabbatein so I would have said that but you’re all worrying me that the Shah Rukh-ness won’t be enough to keep me interested. I recently saw Befikre and I’m firmly in the “it was ok” camp. I’ll try to get on board.

• Now I am thinking we should do Mohabbatein! Rip off the bandaid, force you all to see it for once and get it over with. It is a great movie for talking over, there are long sections where we could just discuss the weather or whatever.

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 11:47 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Mohabbatein was the first Hindi movie (and ShahRukh movie) I watched…I admit that I got immediately involved in the actor (I didn’t know his name at that pont of time) not being sincere (the expression of his eyes didn’t match his nice words) and his “fight” with Amitji (I equally didn’t know by name at this time)…the three love stories I found interesting to watch but not captivating, still I didn’t get bored with the movie.

• But think of all the fun sweater jokes we could make! The discussions of ghost sex!

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 2:49 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

Liked by 2 people

2. Ignore my vote – my chance of not making it has moved from 33.3% to 90%. I will be sure to read all the comments for whatever you watch after the fact though. As it is I usually enjoy re-living the movie by re-reading the comments at least once.

• Or, you could stay until Saturday and let the Grandparents watch the kids, and then we could watch sexually explicit Befikre without worrying about Little Eyes!

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 3:22 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It is actually kinda tempting, but I’m worried we’ll run out of food. I don’t want to go to the store in this COVID infested place. It is a possibility though.

• There isn’t even butter in the house!! This morning the 11-year-old had to butter his mini bagel with margarine. MARGARINE! My parents live in a
            world-wide food CAPITAL – Chez Panisse land; I brought a bag of chocolate chips but there is no flour or baking soda (or butter) to make a batch of cookies with. I thought the bag of peanutbutter pretzels I brought would last all three days, but already it is GONE. We brought 5 pounds of
            apples, GONE. Rafaela, the woman who used to clean my parents’ house once every two weeks is now picking up their groceries for them, I guess she buys margarine, and my mom is trying to keep the weight off, so she stopped baking.

• Well that’s just tragic! Our household has switched 100% to food delivery, only problem being we always remember the one thing we really needed after we place the order. It’s amazing how much your grocery brain relies on the “I will browse the shelves and remember what it was I wanted” function.

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 7:12 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. I can’t with Mohabbatein. Hard pass.

Either Rab Ne or Befikre. Rab Ne is objectively better, and I bought it on YouTube a while back, so I have easier access. Idk, I’d be fine with either one.