Saturday Small Talk: Chat Away While I Try Not to Go Yellow Wallpaper Crazy!

Happy Saturday! I had a bit of a meltdown last night. This will no doubt surprise you (as it did me!) but spending two weeks trapped in bed in a small room will eventually drive you insane. I was thinking it would be fun times and being waited on hand and foot and watching as much TV as I want, and it is that, but it is also a wee bit insanity inducing. Who knew! Anyway, Wednesday I see the doctor again and he said that maybe, if I was very very good, he would have new rules for me beyond “lie perfectly still with your foot in the air all day every day”.

Things to talk about!

First, just a general discussion, what is your thing to do when you are going insane? My parents helped me hobble down the stairs and packed me into the car and we drove over to look at Lake Michigan, which was wonderful. And is the exact same thing I have done every other time in my life when I was going insane. It’s, like, the Big Guns Mental Health Cure. What is it for you? Favorite nature thing to look at, or place to go, or thing to read or watch?

Farwell at the lake – Beachfront living on Chicago's north side
This is one block away from my parents’ apartment.

Second, ABHISHEK IS COVID NEGATIVE!!!! Yaaaaaay! I was feeling so bad for that whole family, Abhishek stuck in the hospital away from his kid, Amitabh stuck in home quarantine worrying about his kid, Jaya worrying about everyone. I know I know, they are very rich and powerful and blah blah blah. But I’m still allowed to feel sorry for them, right? When they get sick and sad?

Third, Class of ’83 trailer! It’s pretty darn good. I’m not into police movies, but the central concept is really solid. Misfits plucked from training school to be an unbreakable anti-crime force? It’s like The Untouchables! And anything that is like The Untouchables is good. Because The Untouchables is The Perfect Movie. And now I will resist the urge to quote every line. SO GOOD! Oh right, also this film that I am supposed to be talking about, which also looks fine, and Bobby is okay in it.

Fourth, it’s Courtney’s birthday!!!!!!! To help her celebrate, you should say nice encouraging things about being a school teacher, the Sid-Varun romance in SOTY, or why Varun-Alia are The Best Jodi.

Okay, that’s all I’ve got! You chat away, I’m going to look out the window and pretend I can go outside.

29 thoughts on “Saturday Small Talk: Chat Away While I Try Not to Go Yellow Wallpaper Crazy!

1. Solo camping and backpacking trips are my mental health cure. But due to the fact that the entire population of Southern California is currently residing in my backyard mountains and due to family obligations that mean my spouse can’t watch the kids while I disappear for a weekend, a solo trip is off the table this summer. Maybe later in the fall. Maybe. In the meantime I find solace treading water in ponds while watching my children jump into water. Thursday I spent two hours treading water. There is something about me and water. Sometimes my best epiphanies happen in the bathtub.

Courtney, I am married to a teacher. It is a hard profession. Often it is hard because of the parents. If you work with the at risk kids it typically means you get less parents, but unfortunately you can’t be a parent for all of your students. Enjoy your vacations and stay as safe as possible during this pandemic. Happy Birthday.

• The nice thing about the Lake Michigan beaches is that in a few places you can get right up to the water without getting out of the car. So the beaches are mobbed, of course, but you can still get that mental health boost while sitting in your car. Works for when you are old too, my Grandpa hasn’t been up for walking on a beach for decades, but he can drive the car right up to it. I guess that’s the advantage of flat nature over bumpy nature (as I think of mountains).

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 9:53 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I miss oceans. I’ve never seen Lake Michigan, but I imagine it has waves like the ocean. Wave watching is soul refreshing.

• It does. And it lets you see so far. I imagine it is similar once you get high enough in the mountains, your eyes can just move on and on and on into the distance with no boundaries. Something so soul refreshing about that.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 10:28 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. The ocean IS great. Any kind of greenery helps, but I have to admit if we’re talking stir craziness, some kind of at least light exercise needs to come into play for me to fully alleviate it.

Chair Bhangra? Some dance form where you move the arms and upper body and can let your foot sit it out for once.

• Ugh, everything is exhausting! Walking out to the living room and sitting upright wears me out. Getting dressed in the morning wears me out, since I have to do this elaborate dance to keep my foot over my head the whole time. Stupid foot and stupid boot, it’s hard to manouver and heavy, so just life is enough to knock me down so that I have no energy left for fun exercise. Anyway, 5 more days! And then I can (hopefully) try something fun like walking to the corner and back again and then being exhausted.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 2:03 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yeah, that sounds like pretty much a guarantee for going crazy. Is there at least something creative you can do, where you get to do something with your brain and hands and produce something you can actually touch? As much fun as screen time is, at some point it can get too much in my experience.

• Last weekend I made face masks, which was exhausting (balancing the foot while trying to use a sewing machine) but also felt really good.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 3:12 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. As someone who lives close by the sea the best escape for me is going to the shops or the supermarket or the woods (since the beach is nearly always full) to feel like having an escape from the four walls. I know, I know, not applicable for everywhere, but seeing shops and the “normal” stuff happening around feels so much better for me. Though yeah, no chance of me going clothes shopping (this new reality has sapped the fun from it) anytime soon.

In other news, I’ve just been watching Peter Johansson videos (apart from JCS) and he is such a ray of sunshine! Also, apparently he was in a Swedish production of Footloose in 2007 with Måns Zermelöw who won Eurovision in 2015. I swear Eurovision and musicals (not to mention Disney/non-Disney dubs) are intertwined in the most bizarre ways! It just blows my mind! I can think of at least 5 more ways they connect, but I won’t make an essay of it here unless someone asks me.

This cover (in English btw) makes me smile like an idiot, it’s so beautiful:

And for Courtney, as a former younger student I truly, truly, truly appreciate the patience you have for us young people! The things you have to put up with us young people is A LOT with our messed up feelings, drama and other stuff.

4. Yes, exactly, you get above the treeline in the mountains, as you can easily do in Colorado, and you can see for miles. It’s gorgeous and good for restoring perspective. It’s my guaranteed happy making thing to do. When we’re in NJ and there’s no place above the trees, the shore has the same effect. But really anytime I get out of the routine of moving my body is when I start getting moody and snappish. It’s something I’ve been careful about during the shut-in, for me and the kids, hard enough to all get along without extra crankiness thrown in.

• This is why I am so excited about my new foot! Pre foot surgery, I was already slightly limiting my activities because my foot hurt. There were a few days when I did a really really long walk, and I felt so much better in the head, and so much worse in the foot.

On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 7:37 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. All I can recommend is escapism, but you know all about that. A nice new fandom, writing some fanfiction, you watch 40 movies and you come out the other end normal again. Probably at this stage you could do with something active, so colouring, writing drabbles, composing 20 haikus about your favourite actors? Make up your face to look like a variety of famous actresses?

• You are so wise! I did not realize how much it was affecting me that I couldn’t go outside (my parents’ apartment has no direct access and going up and down their building stairs was so tiring and tricky it didn’t seem worth it), and then on Friday after I had a little meltdown, we decided it was worth all the hassle to go for a drive. Made so much difference! Totally worth the 5 minutes of inching up and down stairs! We’ll be doing daily drives from now on, to get The Invalid out of the house.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 8:48 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• If only I had a balcony! I do at my real apartment, and I have bigger greener views as well. The big reason I am looking forward to when I am healthy enough to be there again. Mom and Dad’s is great, but the are about ten feet from another building on all sides.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 9:17 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Andi Mack got me through the first week, SO GOOD. But this week I think I have to move on to reading and use my brain a bit, I found a new/old British author (one I read in high school but not since then), I’ll see how that does me.

And of course, yesterday I invented the concept of “High School Musical with Sid M and Varun as the leads”, which brings me a truckload of joy.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 8:47 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Ooo, I should reread Jane Eyre! Except I think it would just cause me to start suspecting the neighbors upstairs are hiding something, and the young man downstairs is secretly a killer, and stuff. But maybe that is good?

Also, I should TOTALLY rewatch Rear Window! Oh my gosh, that would be perfect!

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 8:59 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Have you ever read Vilette? Even more paranoid and weird. I love rereading Jane Eyre in moments of crisis though, because she is a very empowering character.

YES Rear Window! Great choice. Maybe don’t watch Whatever happened to Baby Jane?

• I’m already a little paranoid that my parents are taking this time to alianate the affections of my dog. I keep asking about him, and they just say “Oh he’s fine”, but they aren’t letting me see him. It’s a conspiracy! They are keeping me in bed longer and longer just so they can steal him away! I won’t be allowed out of bed until he has forgotten me entirely!

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 9:19 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• And really start to suspect I am being held wrongfully captive? If I start posting cries for help on the blog, I think you can assume I have given in to temptation and am reading Gothic novels.

On Sun, Aug 9, 2020 at 12:45 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: