I don’t always do birthday posts for behind the scene people, but I really like Vishal! I saw him live, but even before that, he had written some of my favorite songs.
UPDATE: Now that I know the Indian scale has 16 notes, I’m going to squeeze in 4 more reasons! It isn’t hard to find them
1. I love you because you started in a band and still try to support modern live Indian music, through your own performances and mentoring others, even while you could easily make a good living just doing film soundtracks. And you used that band experience in your first movie, Jhankaar Beats.
2. I love you because even when the movie is weak, your songs still stand out.
2. I love you because you make Indian hip-hop cool, even when the film itself is so-so, your music makes it come alive.
4. I love you because you can also write a sweet childrens’ holiday song.
5. I love you because you can take a terrible refrain like “My dil goes mmmm” or “I Hate Luv Storys” and somehow make it work!
6. I love you because you took the whole concept of Orientalism and put it in song form!
7. I love you because I am planning to move in a year, and you better believe I will be playing this song on a loop the whole time!
8. I love you because even in a kind of silly light weight rom-com, you created a legitimately beautiful love song.
9. I love you because you helped create the only saving moment in a terrible movie. But it is a great moment!
10. I love you because you showed all the other composers how it is down when you legally bought the rights to an American song, and then improved it by adding an Indian rhythm.
11. I love you because you wrote a great feminist anthem and response to traditional Hinduism, and also made it super catchy!
12. I love you because you wrote (and sang!) my favorite song of 2014, part of my favorite dance sequence of all time!
13. My unlucky 13th reason to love you, is the very lucky, and awesome, song you wrote in honor of Bips awesomeness.
14. My 14th reason to love you is that you didn’t mind playing yourself in a ridiculous cameo!
15. And I love you because your newest soundtrack has rapidly become one of my favorites, especially this super happy making song.
16. And finally, always and forever, I love you for this: