Wonderful news! My sister is going to Chennai! And I’m not! Which is perfect, because going to India makes me violently deathly ill to the point of not being able to get up off the floor, and my sister is willing to take a shopping list with her. And you get to help me write it!
I don’t want to waste this opportunity, so I’m not going to worry about Hindi films, except for my few white whales. No, I want to focus on Tamil and Malayalam and Telugu. But not the “you might as well watch it, it’s on einthusan” Tamil and Malayalam and Telugu. I want the “So brilliant you will want to own it in high quality DVD and watch it over and over movies”. Or the “not available with subtitles streaming anywhere and you really should watch it” movies.
So, help me out! What should I ask for?
Here’s what I’ve got so far:
- Tamanna (1997, Pooja Bhatt film about a girl raised by a Hijra)
- Arth (surprisingly hard to find!)
- Shahrukh Bole Khoobsurat Hai Tu (possibly never even released on DVD)
- Ittefaq (Not that hard to find, but probably cheaper in India)
- City of God
- Angamaly Diaries ALL THE COPIES IN THE WORLD!!!! I may start just handing it out to random strangers at film festivals until it gets appreciated. And probably cheaper to get all those giveaway copies from India
- Nayakan (Malayalam Lijo Jose Pellissery version)
- Double Barrel
- Chenkol (by golly I’m going to find out what happens after Kireedam!)
- Whole CID series
- Jacobinte Swarigam
- Nayakan (the Ratnam one)
- Every Mani Ratnam film available including Roja because I only have the Hindi dubbed version. But not Geetanjali because I just bought that from a 99 cent bin.
- Moodru Mudichu
- Every K. Balanchander movie that the guy behind the counter at the store recommends? Is that safe? Or will he rip us off?
- Siva, original Telugu version not the remake
- Kshana Kshanam
- 1: Nenokkadine
- Oopiri (not available with subtitles anywhere online!)
So, what am I missing? Of the variety “so good you absolutely will need it on DVD to watch over and over” or alternatively “super hard to find so getting it from India is your only hope”?
I’ll keep updating and re-posting my list as we go, I’ve got about three weeks to figure it out.