Happy Wednesday!  Halfway to the weekend and I am so glad.  I just want to sleep and sleep and sleep.  We’ll see if I manage it.

I’ll start!

Thinking: How have I managed to have something every evening this week?  Monday was quilting, Tuesday was Grandpa’s birthday dinner, tonight I have to go to a church meeting, tomorrow I’m going over to a friend’s house, and Friday is Manmarziyaan.  I just want to sit at home with my dog!

Reading: Shards of Honor, thanks to datablue’s recommendation.  It’s really good!  Not great literature, but extremely satisfying.  Also, it kept me up until 2am, which is why I am so tired.  I’m not supposed to read in bed, because then I just stay up until I finish the book and never get any sleep.

Watching: Nothing much, because I am always Out in The World lately.  But I am very much looking forward to Manmarziyaan in theaters on Friday.

Now, question for you!  We are coming up on the packed few months when all the major movies release.  Which of the following are you most excited for?

Sui Dhaaga

Namaste England

Thugs of Hindostan

2.0

Kedarnath

Zero

Simmba

Something else?

I think for me, Simmba.  Just because it seems the most reliable.  Sui Dhaaga is probably good, but might be touching more than entertaining.  Namaste England has an iffy cast.  Thugs of Hindostan might be far to ambitious.  2.0 is almost certainly too ambitious.  Kedarnath had that crazy filming problems, Zero is about a little person.  But Simmba, a nice solid Rohit Shetty remake action film, that seems very safe.

76 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching: What Are You Thinking and Reading and Watching Manmarziyaan Week?

1. At this point, I’m really just most excited about Manmarziyaan. All buzz is good and I’m just hoping it becomes a romance classic and I think it might have a chance at it. The dancing twins in the song clips are so clever and fun and suit the Kashyup brand somehow.

I watched the song from Namaste England and I liked it much better than the trailer. Somehow Arjun and Parineeti’s natural chemistry came through better there and the song itself is beautiful. So still somewhat excited about it.

After Manmarziyaan, I’m also most excited for Simmba because Ranveer Singh (except for Kil Dil) really never disappoints and I’m totally rooting for Sara Ali Khan over Jhanvi Kapoor in this year’s debutante race:) Rohit Shetty is a major hit or miss director for me, though. I hated Chennai Express, but loved Dilwale. Loved Bol Bachchan (one of Abhishek’s best films!), but I really don’t get the Golmaal films at all. Loved Singham, but thought Singham Returns was a bit boring. So, we’ll see…excited to see Ranveer in the cop masala hero genre.

I’m interested in all the rest, except for 2.0. Rajnikanth kind of freaks me out and I don’t get it.

Zero promises to have that Bollywood glamorous cameo thing going for it (which I miss) and I do genuinely like all three of the leads (but I disliked their last collaboration!). Even though Farah Khan doesn’t have anything to do with it, I keep picturing this as a response to OSO somehow.

Thugs interests me because of its ambition and it’s clearly influenced by Pirates of the Caribbean? But I’m not a big Aamir fan and the combo of him and Katrina just brings up bad memories of Dhoom 3. I will never get why people liked that movie.

Haven’t seen a film in forever because I was on vacation…only Jumanji 2 with the family…meh.
    Haven’t even really read any good books. I had a layover in NYC on my way up to see family and stopped into some Indian markets and international newsstands in Midtown to find some current magazines and had dismal luck. Ended up with an issue of Femina with Anushka on the cover. I really wanted to find a copy of the Suhana Khan Vogue cover and Filmfares, but oh well. I have the digital subscription to both Vogue India and Filmfare, but I really like having paper copies! I wish I could buy a collection of old Indian magazines in bulk! They’re always marked up for shipping on Ebay.

Margaret, are you able to get Indian magazines easily where you are on Devon Avenue? I’d be so jealous! I kind of like collecting them (an occupational hazard).

• Obviously, people love Dhoom 3 because of the beautiful Chicago scenery. If you are watching the actors, you are looking at the wrong thing.

Magazines are getting hard for me too. There was one store that always had loads of them, and all the latest issues. It closed earlier this year, and now the only store left just has a few, usually very out of date. I had an online subscription to FilmFare for a while, but it just wasn’t the same, I wanted something I could open up and read straight through, and instead it was all scrolling back and forth on pages and stuff. Sometimes I feel like those computer versions of books and newspapers and so on are for people who don’t read as fast. the 20 seconds it takes for the next screen to resolve is as long as it would take me to read half the page. At least with a book, you can start turning the page while still finishing the last few sentences on the last page and there’s no downtime to take you out of it.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:29 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I will never sell them! And I have so many they are taking over my apartment. Doesn’t matter, I’m keeping them all.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 12:21 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Thought I’d try;)! That’s my dream that I find them in bulk on Craigslist or somewhere or on e-bay with domestic shipping. I had a filmfare print subscription for one year and they are among my prized Bollywood “collections.” It’s only three Ikea magazine boxes big (with a few random Cineblitz and things like that), but I’d never get rid of it either…since they are so hard to find in the States and it’s getting harder to find them. I’m trying to build out my book collection more, but I’m only focusing on memoirs, “fun stuff” like Kareena’s style guide and coffee table type books, not the scholarly stuff.

• Oh, get Anusual! Anu Aggarwal is nuts, and that makes her memoir super readible.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 12:59 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I had to google some of the titles you mentioned (Kedarnath and Simmba), I think it shows how unexcited I’m to see them, especially Kedarnath, because at least Simmba has Sonu Sood and Ashutosh Rana.
    So from your list I think I’m most excited to see Zero, but I don’t have very high hopes. Sui Dhaaga and Namaste England, I will see if they have good word of mouth. My official, very short list would be:
    1. 96 (tamil film with Trisha and Vijay Sethupathi)
    2. Manmarziyaan
    3. Ayushmann film about his mother being pregnant
    4. The other Ayushmann film, with Tabu
    And bonus – Savyasachi, telugu movie with Madhavan, but it was delayed so many times, I’m not sure if it will be released this year.

• I like your list! Now I want to watch all of those too. Plus Sui Dhaaga, I have cautiously high hopes for that one. And Manmarziyaan of course. I really hope it doesn’t disappoint us.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 8:53 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. I also just saw the trailer for Badhaai Ho and thought it looked so funny and charming! Like Angie, I’m very excited about both of Ayushmann’s upcoming films.

4. I’m excited for Manmarziyan – love Vicky Kaushal! And the songs sound great.

Sui Dhaaga – I love this division of YRF which makes films like Dum lagake haisha and Sui Dhaaga, simple, sweet films set in small towns.
    Badhai Ho – Looks hilarious! I’m always up for a nice comedy. Also love Ayushmann in quirky comedies.
    2.0 – Shankar and Rajni. Enough said.
    Thugs – I have no idea why but I’ve been intrigued since it’s been announced. But not sure if I’ll like Aamir in a big commercial film since I hated Dhoom 3 and literally slept through most of it.
    I’m definitely not looking forward to Simmba because I hated the original Telugu film Temper inspite of Jr Ntr who I actually enjoy watching.

• That’s interesting, about Temper. Another one of the commentators (maybe Niki?) had the opposite reaction, liked the original and was worried that the remake would mess it up. So I guess if it does mess it up, you will like it because you didn’t like the original but Niki (or whoever) will be unhappy.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 9:16 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yeah, I was the one who liked Temper. But it’s one of those movies I really liked in terms of the story and the screenplay. I did think that Jr. NTR kinda over did it when it came to his role. His character is supposed to be really intense but half the time it just felt like he was screaming mindlessly. This is one of those movies I felt would have been better if Mahesh had done it. He would have probably suited the character better and played it with a more silent intensity.

Coming to Simmba, I hope that Ranveer’s performance isn’t as over the top as Jr. NTR’s. I’m probably not gonna watch it in the theater though.

• Rohit Shetty seems good at putting in a little bit of tongue in cheek lightness to his action films, so I have hope that he can keep Ranveer in his light happy Ranveer world, and still make it work as an action film.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:12 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yeah, but then what if he makes it too light? I thought Singham was really well made by Rohit Shetty but then he didn’t change much from the original. Isn’t Karan Johar co-producing Simmba? Did he ever work with Rohit Shetty before? I wonder if he will influence Rohit Shetty’s work/ideas as well.

• I don’t think Karan ever worked with Rohit Shetty directly, although Dharma may have co-produced Dilwale or something like that. I also don’t think Dharma has worked with Ranveer before? So two unknowns. I have faith that Karan is able to step back and get out of the way of a director if he feels the director is confident in his vision (Agneepath, Dear Zindagi, Ittefaq). But Sara Ali Khan’s casting feels like it is all Karan which makes me think he may not be stepping back as much as he could.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:27 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• No, Dilwale wasn’t co-produced by Dharma. There was a bunch of talk about Karan Johar producing the Ram Lakhan remake that Rohit Shetty would direct around the time that Dilwale came out. But then that never happened for some reason.

Yeah, this is Ranveer’s first movie with Dharma.

• Yeah, the excessive shouting and the horrible romance track with Kajal and Kovai Sarala and birds and what not turned me off.
          I do think Jr NTR will be way better than Ranveer. Bollywood actors don’t do proper action masala films anymore, and the few ones that do mess it up IMO. Like Akshay in Holiday was no match to Vijay in Thuppaki.
          Or even Singam – couldn’t make it through the Hindi version while I watched the Tamil original only because of Surya .
          I like Rohit Shetty’s comedies more than his action films, so I’m definitely going to give Simmba a miss.

• Oh yeah, I totally forgot about how bad that romance track was. Both Kajal and Kovai Sarala were so stupid in the movie. And it wasn’t like the songs were really good to make up for it either.

5. Oh and also Chekka Chivantha Vaanam – Mani Ratnam’s next with a nice mix of actors I like.
    96 – An upcoming Tamil romantic film with Vijay Sethupathy and Trisha. Looks really sweet.

• I liked Kaatru, but only because I was assuming we were intended to root against the hero. That he was representing Indian authority and military aggression, and nothing was the romantic fantasy it appeared. Even with that reading, it was less good than his earlier films. But trying to approach it as a straight romance and it is truly unwatchable (at least to me).

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 2:34 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• No for me, it was because of Karthi. He didn’t do aggression well and crazy-eyes going whenever he wanted to turn aggression on. It was also a very uneven film. I think it needed an actor like Vijay Deverakonda or Simbu or Sidharth who can come off really charming. I literally didn’t understand why girls were falling for him.

• His eyes are so creepy in this film. And yes, you’re so right, Vijay or Sidharth would be much better, handsome and charming, and then boom, great actors who can play unplesant types, but only after you already love them.

• This discussion is kind of making me appreciate Aditi more. She was the last minute addition to the cast, and yet she made the character her own in a way that Karthi never quite did.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 3:01 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. Yes to the two Ayushmann movies. Both look high on entertainment. I liked Temper, it’s the perfect anti-hero role for Ranveer but Rohit Shetty goes overboard even with an already exaggerated movie. So on the fence. Manmarziyan too-want to see how AK navigates the married woman leaving the hubby for ex boyfriend-if it comes to that. We have never had such a climax-but then it’s Anurag Kashyap. So there’s room for the unexpected.
    96 gives the VTV vibes & Vijay Sethupathi in romantic roles is usually heartbreaking. Also looking forward to Maari2(for Tovino, Sai Pallavi)& NGK(for Sai Pallavi & Suriya). 2.0 reminds me of the Transformer, video game sorta movies. Not much hope there.
    Lucifer-for director Prithviraj!
    There’s also a multistarrer movie called Virus to be directed by Ashiq Abu that’s based on the real life Nippa Virus outbreak in Kerala that happened 3 months back(in Biblical terms Kerala was first hit by the plague & then the flood). It was a major health threat which was contained by the extra ordinary efforts of the health machinery of the state & health care professionals. Expect it to be another well made human drama. Malayalam has a lineup of big budget movies like Kayamkulam Kochunni, Odiyan etc none of which are actually exciting.
    I also hope for surprise gems to come from Telugu like Goodachari. The space movie from Ghazi director is the only one I know of that’s exciting to look forward to.

• The ladies in my quilt group recommended that! I’m thinking about catching up on Call the Midwife for similar soothing qualities.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:36 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh my gosh, you and Angie have gotten me so much more excited for the Southern releases than I was for the Hindi!

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:30 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• That matches the Margaret Redlich Theory of Conservation of Talent in India. Meaning, when Hindi is doing well, it sucks all the talent towards it. And when it is doing poorly, all the talent goes out to other industries. Or, put it another way, other industries are doing poorly and thus their talent goes to Bombay and Hindi flourishes, other industries get back on their feet and Bombay dries up as all the interesting people leave.

It’s just a theory, I haven’t bothered to prove it, but Malayalam and Tamil were flourishing in the 80s while Hindi was dying, and possibly struggling a little in the late 90s while Hindi was in a high period. Now Hindi is boring, so obviously all the exciting interesting people in India are going to be working in the other industries.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 10:39 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I don’t know if there’s so much as a physical shift in talent cos the actors, writers, directors etc in the north & south don’t overlap much.
            One thing that’s different from earlier days is that with the advent of technology the language, regional barriers are less now. So earlier I would watch Malayalam & Hindi primarily & maybe a bit of Tamil. But now with subtitles & all, I can watch Telugu, Bengali & all other stuff which until recently was never in my list. There are many more audience for Malayalam(& south)movies than before. And if not on digital platforms, most popular south films get a dubbed Hindi release on TV. So now the playing field is truly evened out & with so much content out there for the audience to choose from, a film has to be truly interesting to worth a viewing even on TV. Else ppl will just change the channel & watch something else. So the filmi ppl down south are getting more exposure these days even when they work in their home industry. Their markets have truly expanded. Hindi film industry has the reputation of being very snobby & campy while the southerners disapprove of the outwardly show off. Plus they would be like fish out of water. Now they

two Ayushmann movies until the trailers. The ones we keep hearing about are the big ones which some how end up not measuring up maybe becos of the expectations they already set ?

• Interesting point about the big movies. Even in that south list that we have been talking about, most of them are smaller. No discussion of the upcoming Malayalam historical epics, or the next (or recent) Mahesh Babu movies or anything like that. It could also be that big films are just less interesting to think about and talk about in advance. You know it’s going to be a big dumb fun movie, you go and watch it, there is no mystery there to debate.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:14 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I rewatched 96′ trailer now and I realized that I’m excited and impatient to see this movie thanks to Vijay’s expressions in one scene. I really don’t need much.

7. But why would you be more excited for the safe movie rather than the ambitious one?

You know that I’m most excited for Sui Dhaaga. I haven’t felt this good about a Varun movie coming out since Badrinath Ki Dulhania!

I’m also really excited for Sailaja Reddy Alludu coming out tomorrow! It’s starring Naga Chaitanya, Ramya Krishna, and Anu Emmanuel. It looks really fun!

Naa Peru Surya, Allu Arjun’s latest movie, came out on Einthusan so I saw it. It was a good movie but the second half was kinda convoluted. They put in too many subplots and they were trying to do too much and it ended up hurting the movie. I really liked Allu Arjun’s performance though. It was a decent movie and I wouldn’t mind watching it again another time.

8. I wrote this on your Monday post, but seems more contextual here so reposting 🙂
    Watched Tholi Prema – Varun Tej is good, and carried the movie on his shoulders. Raashi Khanna was ok, but has about 4 expressions that she cycles through. Her lip sync was decent though (that honestly is a pet peeve for me) and was very pretty! Kept eyeing her clothes.

• Such an interesting thing tot hink about, because in Fidaa it was so much Sai’s movie. Varun was fine, but he wasn’t the reason you were watching.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 12:36 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

9. This week I have seen only 2 movies, but I think it would be hard to find 2 indian movies so different one from another. First Angamaly diaries, and the second was Race 3 .
    Maybe because I was prepared for the worst, but Race 3 wasn’t as bad I thought it will be. Salman looks like he has swallowed broomstick, the plot is ridiculous and most actors are bad, but still it was 10 times better than Kick.

Reading: I’m almost done with North & South!

Thinking: Should I start watching The staircase? It’s a documentary, looks very gripping but it has 13 episodes and every episode is 45 minutes long, so almost 10 hours. I know if I start it, I will be thinking about it like I did with Wild Wild Country. Is it worth?

• Boy, you really hate Kick!!!! I didn’t like it much, but I still liked it better than Race 3. The soundtrack at least was decent

The Staircase is an interesting one, it’s an interesting case at the center of it, but the bigger story is about the American justice system and how it works (or fails to), the enormous power given to prosecutors versus defendants, and so on. It’s also more a normal “true crime” kind of documentary, just about this one murder, instead of the massive international weirdness that was Wild Wild Country.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 3:22 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

10. I’m fairly easily influenced by buzz and PR, so I’m sure I’ll be excited for each of these once their campaigns start sizzling.

For now I’m most interested in zero, thugs, and Manmirziyaan (sp?). While I’m quite tired of onslaught of JrB navel-gazing interview, the trailer looks enticing, energetic, yet still indie. Laila Majnu also looks interesting.

I’ve been trying to watch Angamaly Diaries every evening all week but can’t seem to stay awake. I really want to see the technical scenes you described though.

• I’ll give you a special early glimpse of the next movies coming up. After Befikre on Sunday and Kabali on Tuesday, I am thinking Sarkar for next Friday and Jodha-Akbar for next Sunday. So you can do them in ten minute chunks one a night and still make it in time.

I wish I could have seen Laila Majnu, but maybe on streaming. I did finally get to Qarib Qarib Singlle, so it is possible. I love it when a promotional campaign manages to get me excited, because I want to be excited about films. So far Thugs and Zero leave me cold, but I have hope for good trailers and songs that will pump me up so I am excited by the time I walk into the theater. Oh, this is interesting! Looks like the same composers, Ajay-Atul, are doing both Thugs and Zero. They are mostly Marathi, but they did Agneepath before this and I loved that soundtrack. So there, I have found something to excite me!

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 6:21 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Thank you for the advance notice. I’m excited because like mnik, I saw SK and JA in theaters and haven’t seen them since but have been meaning to see them online.
        Befikre, its first half is pitch perfect as sheer entertainment, I sometimes put the first half on while doing chores. And I’ve only seen one Rajnikant movie before, plus I have connections to Malaysia, though via Chinese and Malaysians, not via Indians.

Thugs and Zero because it still matters to me whenever SRK or Aamir put out a film. Salman not so much, but that may also be because Salman puts out more films.

MMZ because AK putting out his first love-related story since Dev D is thrilling, and his cast is intriguing.

I love the ramp up to release almost as much as the films themselves, especially with Indian film since the build up includes not only trailers but also music, song, dance, to get you in the mood. And I love reading/watching/listening to critical reviews and in depth interviews (not much into trailer reactions or Never Have I Ever fluff interviews or gossip sites). In most cases I never actually see the film lol.

11. I am excited for varathan, fahad fazils next film with Amal neerad(director of iyobinte pusthakam and CIA). Teaser and trailer promises an intense thriller.
    Teaser

Trailer

Also waiting 4 all the big budget films in malayalam about to release. Lucifer, Kayamkulam Kochunni and Odiyan…All are in different genres…
    Watched Theevandi, new Tovino film.Story of a chainsmoker..Felt as an average movie…Predictable and lagging in some parts..But film is a big hit here and I am little surprised by all the positive reports for the film.

• A friend who watched Theeevandi felt the need to post in our group that after a long time he watched a good movie. He also suggested all the cigarette lovers to give it a try. So maybe it connected with the cigarette lovers& those who have close association with cigarette lovers? As with most hyped movies, there are always few of us who wonder enikkano naattukarkkano vattu.

• My father actually liked the movie and he used to smoke a lot.. So that’s it… U needed to be a smoker first to enjoy the film 😅.
        But i still think its overrated.. It tries to be a political satire in the second half and becomes all silly.

• Thanks for the heads up! Just watched it. Thank goodness, it looks like it has a sense of humor about itself.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:54 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• There was a leaked teaser earlier & this looks pretty much the same-only change being that it’s in HD & few more scenes added. What exactly did they do with the 550 crore ? I’m underwhelmed. Also Akshay Kumar is there only for the climax in the stadium ?

• Ha! I forgot Akshay was supposed to be in this! I bet he has like 3 scenes and the rest is just voice dubbing over special effects. a week of work on location and then dubbing at his convenience in Bombay. Akshay is all about the time management.

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 7:53 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m not sure what I think abut this trailer. I like the eagle (really cool) and idea of using the cellphones, but all other stuff made me think: they are walking on thin ice, it can be disaster.

• It’s at the point where there is no way to get back a return. The only movies that have made more than 550 Crore are Aamir’s in China, and those numbers are shakey (because China is known for manipulating their numbers), plus it’s overseas which means it is going to the distributors not to the makers. So, how are they possibly expecting to get their money back?

On Thu, Sep 13, 2018 at 8:08 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

12. Reading
    The Plant Paradox, by Dr Gundry
    It’s really opening my eyes to the perils of agribusiness and economies of scale and the negative consequences to our health as it pertains to produce. Not that I didn’t know any of this, but I’m learning so much more here.

It’s been so long since I’ve read fiction novels that I joined a book club and started an Audible trial to force myself into 1 fiction novel a month. This month is The Couple Next Door by Shari Lapena. For next month I have suggested A Place For Us by Fatima Farheen Mirza.

Question for you. Have you ever had your reviews quoted anywhere else? Any stories you can share regarding such incidents? It just happened to me and it’s kind of thrilling. A local theater group has put on a really intelligent and artistic production of the Mahabharat, I saw it last week and posted a detailed review to my own Facebook page. This week the theater group is quoting from my review in their email, print, and online marketing material, alongside quotes from actual theater critics. And friends are noticing and calling it to my attention. Well it’s not going to make me a superstar or a zillionaire, but it’s nice to think that someone I don’t know might see this show, or get further enriched by the show, based on my words, thoughts, or details. Maybe that’s the way you feel about your blog, too, though times 1000.

• Unfortunately, the only times I’ve had my reviews quoted were plagiarism. One person posted an entire review without attribution on quora. And a couple other times I’ve run across not full block quotes, but unintentional stealing of my ideas from people who read them here and then posted them on their own blogs. Specifics of how I analyzed a scene or the details of a character that I know were original to me, or (most often) industrial background and history and analysis that I sweated blood to learn and make sense of turned around and used casually without attribution to me as the source, showing up somewhere else as though that person spent years studying and researching and came up with this all themselves, instead of simply saying “I learned this/heard this idea/discovered this concept through Margaret’s blog”. It’s just such a blech feeling, I’ve stopped trying to track it down because it’s so depressing when I find it. Which I guess means there are probably lots of other incidents like this out in the world by now and I just don’t know about them. The most recent one I heard about was the Bollywood Project podcast using specifics from one of my posts on box office as related to actor pricing and just referring to it as “I read somewhere online”. Just say the name! That’s all I want! You can use my work, but say the name of the blog! How hard is that? Ugh, there is just no worse feeling.

Besides that, sometimes people retweet me. Which isn’t quite the same thing as you are describing, but it feels really good!

And you are completely right that one of the best things about writing here is feeling like people are watching these movies because of what I wrote! I get very excited when a “newbie” appears, either someone totally new to Indian film or just new to one of the languages I cover, and I can guide them and help them see the films in a particular way and give them background and just generally hold their hand through the process. Turn this from a one off interest that fades to something that can be life long.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 11:56 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

13. On Monday I asked you the movie where Ajay Devgn is a cop and his parents died, and then I just YouTubed a bunch of trailers and finally figured it out: Aakrosh. So I watched that last week and it was pretty solid. It is simultaneously an action filled buddy cop movie (Akshaye is the other cop), and a serious movie about honor killings. Akshaye is a big city Brahmin and Ajay is a small town Dalit. This is pretty much the only movie I’ve seen where the castes of the characters are specifically named, but in an organic, non-DUN DUN DUN sort of way . You just sort of find out while they’re talking, and it’s just one part of what makes the characters really different. The honor killing aspect is dealt with really well, plus you get to see Ajay balance on top of an SUV that Akshaye is chasing the bad guys in. Bipasha is Ajay’s lost love, so they exchange longing looks.

And I’m in Bangladesh, and so far I’ve seen Aishwarya in a jewelry ad and Ranveer In a shampoo ad

• Interesting that a movie got so gritty and explicit. Two things I found on The Internet, first that it is based on Mississippi Burning, and second that Priyadarshan directed it. Both are things that made me go “oh, that’s why it is so gritty and realistic”.

I would have swapped that around, I want Ranveer to give me jewelry, and I want to know what Aishwarya uses on her hair.

• Ok, I’m back.

I think maybe Aishwarya has aged out of hair products? I see only young women doing them. Which doesn’t make sense, because the forties is when you want your hair to look good. Like, I’d probably buy whatever Hema Malini is using. Her hair looks great.

• No idea! WordPress is a magical mystery. For instance, I think they failed to send out notifications or tweets on my last post. why? Who knows!

• Maybe. Or maybe Rajkummar is just more willing to take a step back and not challenge her because he’s got other stuff going on. He’s not like Aamir who only has one movie every two years or something.

Also, oh boy, Anurag Basu and Kangana! Basu, the man who scrapped 3 months of filming and several courtesy cameos and started over on Jagga Jasoos, pushing the release date a year later than scheduled and the budget up and up and up. I don’t exactly have a “always firmly in control of his set” feeling about him. Really don’t want to think about what’s gonna happen when he and Kangana end up trying to work together. Although, way way back when, he was the one who launched her in Gangster. When they both had no currency in the industry and were stuck obediently following whatever the producer told them.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 1:43 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It’s also a movie with Anurag Basu, who is another semi-toxic person. Very similar to Kangana, great things on his resume, but most recently a big toxic failure. Maybe there’s something we’re not seeing, maybe it is produced by someone important or something like that.

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 2:13 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

14. Srinivasa Kalyanam is on Prime from today and I decided to give it a look. I managed to watch only 20 minutes or something and OMG I’m so angry now. Such a regressive movie – traditions are important, a woman must know her place because if not, the other women will teach her a lesson (lovingly of course because there are no bad people in telugu villages). Waste of time!

• I want to add only that when I saw the protagonist “acting” I suddenly thought: he must be a son or a cousin of some big fish in telugu, and what a surprise his father is a film producer.