I can’t believe I have had a cold for over a week. And it keeps getting worse! How is that possible? How far down the rabbit hole of illness can I go? It’s supposed to be just a cold! Those things only last a few days and you don’t even have to take time off work!

So, I went from a tickle in the throat, to a sore throat and ears and low grade fever, to a sore-er throat and ears and nose and head, to sore-er, to sore-er and on and on and on. Fever’s gone, but someone has shoved knives down my throat and up my nose and into my eardrums and I can’t breath without setting them off.

Maybe if my breath mingled with Shahrukh’s, I could breath

So that’s me! What’s up in all your lives today? Are you going out into the world? Is the sun still there? Tell me tales of The Outside!!!!

25 thoughts on “Saturday Small Talk: What Fun Thing Are You All Doing While I Remain Super Sick?

• Well, that seems easy to fix 🙂 I’ll just get better once climate change ends.

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 9:04 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. Were you and Hazel out in the woods last summe/fall? It’s a longshot, but ask your doc for a lime disease test. It takes 6 or more weeks for it to show up in the blood, so now is about right. I’m always pulling ticks off Buddy, pulled one off myself in August about 3 years ago, started feeling punk around Christmas, went for the test and Bingo! Doc gave me a single, huge pill and I was all better a few days later. I have Buddy tested routinely, too. Dogs don’t show symptoms until its too late so its a good idea to test them when they go in for regular shots. Saying prayers and sending good thoughts your way. You’ll be okay soon, whatever it is. I have the feeling that you try to do too much and exhaust yourself. Don’t know how old you are, but slowing down to smell the patchouli never hurts.

• It is kind of nice, I have permission to do brainless distracting things instead of useful things. If only I didn’t hurt so much.

I am pretty sure it is the same cold my sister and brother-in-law had, it was absolutely awful for them and lasted 4-5 weeks. But at least the last couple of weeks they were able to function.

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 9:17 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• the last two times I did that, it wasn’t strep and they all pointed and laughed at me. Okay, not really, but that’s how it felt. So humiliating! Anyway, pretty sure it isn’t strep because it had a slow start with a tickle in the throat and all that usual business. And no fever any more. I miss the fever, it felt like my body was trying to do something.

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 11:05 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Dear Meg; It is a consensus that you overwork, so take care!
    Lately viruses are becoming clever and clever; last winter in Brazil; your summer, flus were one month long, as bad as yours with exactly the same symptoms. Many people had to stay one week in bed. Some had a “non fever” form of pneumonia.
    So follow you friends advice; see a doctor, take medicine, and rest without remorse!
    Keep posting old fun stuff; and we’ll smile again.
    I can post a video but not a picture, what am I doing wrong?

• I think I got that flu last winter (your summer)! It was going around my church, most people (including my parents) were sick for a couple of weeks at least. I got through it in a week, but it was a really bad week.

To post a photo, find it online and select “open in new tab” or “open in new window” to get it to open by itself. Then copy the url from that window, go back to DCIB and put it into your comment after going down a line before and after. It still doesn’t always work, but it usually does. Here’s an example:

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 1:25 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. News from the Outside – it snowed yesterday here in Sicily. Only for few minutes, but still. And it’s sooooo cold these days, almost 0°C (32F) which is terrible in the land where people almost don’t heat their houses. I send a photo of me to my sister and her first question was: Why are you wearing a scarf inside the house?

You take care, and think every day that pass you are closer to be healthy.

• I’m reminded of the saying about “in the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king”. I feel like, as the only person in Sicily used to a temperate climate, you should take advantage of this rare moment of superior knowledge somehow. Take over the country? get a better deal on groceries? Something.

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 1:42 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Unfortunately the only thing I have from being from Poland are annoying questions: How is it possible you feel cold here if you come from colder country?

• Are you sicilian? My father was and I feel sometimes in Hindi films a familiarity in hand gestures, voice intonation and in family relationships. Do you feel the same?

• I’m not sicilian. I’m Polish but I live in Sicily. You know, maybe you’re right especially family relations and people’s obsession with food is similar.

• Angie, see what imagination does; I pictured you as a brunette Angelina!
          Yes to family relationships; we take Karan Arjun for granted! (And Baazigar for that matter!) 🤫
          Yes to fidelity to one’s honor; we do understand Veer Patap Singh has only one choice to protect Zara.
          Yes to some rhythmic music with drums and little bells just like those of anklets. Etc etc…
          And for food yes each family is proud of his own masala!

4. For Angie and all the bloggers who wish to spend 3 minutes on a video of a typical sicilian dance that I call “Bollywood in Sicily”.
    It is a traditional folk dance of seduction; the boy at first exhibits himself to the girl and slowly dances around her to attract her to his side; she reluctantly approaches using her black shawl almost as a dupatta. When she is conquered they dance joyfully together at a heart beat rhythm until he kneels to her. There’s no touching whatsoever.
    The instruments are flutes and drums and The words are about falling in love to heal all pain.

The flux of human emotions definitely flowed slowly from East to West.

• Thanks! That is a great article. My mother was just asking me about talk therapy, because when she was my age all of her friends were all fired up about it like it was a normal thing and she was curious if that had lasted through to today. And I wasn’t really sure how to answer, because for my friends, it would be a crazy luxury. Taking the time, and the money, for something just for yourself is selfish. There’s no advantage to it. Everyone I know has their regular job, and also their passion that doesn’t pay anything (performing, writing, photography) and they do double shifts working on both of them. No vacations, no weekends, no parties, no going out.

But hey, I’m super sick! I get to have a week off without feeling bad about it like a millionaire!

On Sun, Jan 6, 2019 at 3:58 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: