Happy Wednesday! What’s going on in your life? I was up way too late last night so I make no promises about responding promptly, or intelligibly. But I still want to hear from you!

I’ll start!

Reading: Kind of in between books. Thinking about going back to Wodehouse.

Watching: So much! Watched two Malayalam movies this weekend, plus many many Britcoms. Oh! Maybe that’s why I am feeling like Wodehouse?

Thinking: I am very tired. I am very much looking forward to the weekend.

Listening: Sarvam Thaala Mayam soundtrack!

Now, question for you! Beyond the usual “what are you watching this week?” question. In honor of his birthday, what is your favorite Sidharth Malhotra movie?

Ooo, I am torn! Either Student of the Year or Ittefaq.

42 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching: What Are You Reading and Watching and Thinking and Listening to This Week?

1. Pingback: Wednesday Watching: What Are You Reading and Watching and Thinking and Listening to This Week? - Dream Bollywood Working

2. Hasee Toh Phasee is my favorite Sid movie and you need to see it still I believe!!!! A Gentleman is a close second. Kapoor & Sons is great but I think of that as Fawad’s movie.

Watching: lots while KonMariing my closet…Agatha Christie’s Ordeal by Innocence (not my normal thing but I’ll watch anything with Matthew Goode), new comedy shows of Vir Das, Aditi Mittal (she’s not good…why is she famous?), Trevor Noah, and Adam Sandler, Rajma Chawal (good Rishi performance in an OK Delhi slice of life film…the debutante actor was not great but the actress showed some potential), the full doc series of Wild Wild Country about Osho in Oregon (very compelling), King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (Guy Ritchie’s take on the legend and despite all the bad reviews, I thought it was kinda fun and I’m sad there won’t be more), Detination Wedding (the anti-rom-com with Keanu and Winona…not for everyone but I enjoyed it because I’m the perfect age to appreciate both actors on screen together), and finally Sui Dhaaga (kind of boring).

• Oh wow, I really must be sleep-deprived!!!! I forgot about A Gentleman!!!!

I considered watching Ordeal By Innocence, but I couldn’t wrap my head around a multi-episode Agatha Christie, I’ve been so conditioned to finding out the murderer in 75 minutes. Osho doc though, that one I saw! Here are my two posts on it in case you missed them: https://dontcallitbollywood.com/2017/03/21/hindi-film-101-one-off-what-is-osho/

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 10:13 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I couldn’t agree more about Aditi Mittal. I thought she will be fun, but there wasn’t even one funny moment in her show and I quit. I’m disappointed by Vir Das either. I read about his new show and had great expectation, only to discover it’s not my kind of humour at all. Why all those comedians talk only about sex? That’s why I love Hasan Minhaj – he can talk for hour, is very very funny and don’t throw in my face in how many hotels he masturbated. I appreciate it in a comedian πŸ˜‰

• I felt guilty not liking her since it’s always been harder for female stand-ups, plus she’s kind of a forerunner in India. Still, I thought most of her humor was juvenile and grating. I see what you mean about Vir Das. Parts were funny…I liked his A Broad Understanding so much better than this one (Losing It). I thought he was very sexist in his misguided attempts to be a woke feminist dude. Definitely like Hasan Minhaj the best of the three, too. I hope he does another stand-up show soon. The Patriot Act is good but it’s like the ultra-serious Daily Show.

• Vir Das is the one I saw live and about a third of the show was some nice skewering of Indian culture, there was a little bit of personal stories and jokes, and then a whoooooooooole lot of sex stuff. And it wasn’t like super funny sex stuff, there was no clever twist to the joke, it felt like people were laughing just because he was saying stuff you weren’t supposed to say, you know?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 11:30 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Exactly. It does sound like the material in this new special, Losing It, is what you saw. I actually think he should keep acting because I liked him in Go Goa Gone and think he would be great in more movies like that…I’d love to see him and Sumeet Vyas, Rajkumar Rao, and Pankaj Tripathi (those kind of guys) in some kind of Hangover like film.

I think just like the swearing in Veere Di Wedding, there is a tendency for audiences to get all excited about the controversial stuff and not realize that it’s actually not that creative or innovative in the end.

3. Reading: I finished two books I started a while ago but had to return to the library. They finally became available again! When Dimple Met Rishi (fun but terribly written) and Song of Achilles (well-written and awesome). Also breezing through Unfuck your Habitat, the snarky version of Marie Kondo’s tidying regimen.

Watching: So much! I started a bunch of things that I didn’t finish (Rudramadevi, Singham, Padmaavat). I also rewatched Qarib Qarib Single (better the second time), Dil Toh Pagil Hai (still stupid but fun) and Sholay (more on that below). Then I finished Roja, and watched Kaagaz Ke Phool, and Aalorukkam (interesting, if somewhat preachy, treatment of family rejection of a transgender woman.) I also caught up on RuPaul’s Allstars.

The Sholay rewatch was the most fun. It was my third watch, and it was with a group of octogenarians from my church. THEY LOVED IT! It reminded them of the Hollywood westerns they enjoyed back in the 50s and 60s, and they are all people who have traveled all over and remain culturally curious.

I watched Kaagaz Ke Phool because you said if I wanted to explore one director I should pick Guru Dutt and I ALWAYS LISTEN TO MARGARET! Amazon Prime has many of films, so I am about to start a chronological tour so I can wind up with a Kaagaz Ke Phool rewatch.

Thinking: I am leaving in two days for ten days in Mexico playing wingman to two friends. The weather will be lovely, but I am a little stressed about what to pack because I don’t remember how it feels to be warm.

Listening: My 90-minute “lively” playlist so I get everything done before I leave.

• You are so much more productive than me! And you are also going to force me to review Kaagaz Ka Phool. I’m so glad you are following my suggestion though, Guru Dutt is amazing and he did everything from crime to rom-com, so you won’t get bored.

I need to start thinking about my own annual “I am so sick of cold weather” trip. I have a friend who moved to Oakland this summer, I am thinking about visiting her, getting in a nice visit with a friend and also getting some sunshine.

I’m hosting my own church Indian film night at the end of the month and I am debating what to show. Two couples, one in their 40s and one in the 60s, both very interested in the world and aware and so on, but I don’t know how much background they have on India or on films. Maybe Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham? My old reliable?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 10:28 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I know what you mean about When Dimple Met Rishi. The writing isn’t strong, but I liked the content. I’m still going to read the next one in the series someday.

4. It’s Vijay Sethupathy’s birthday too. Sharing this well written article that goes into the details of why he is the most versatile actor among current generation of Tamil(& probably all of India)actors:

I’m binge watching the Netflix series You and rooting for the sociopathic stalker main character. Gosh,he is hot & that voice!
    Listening to Rowdy Baby on loop and my son has asked to stop.

• I would be hard put to think of two actors more different than Vijay Sethupathi and Sidharth Malhotra!!!!!

Is Maari 2 worth watching, or should I just listen to the song?

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 10:31 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. I finally decided to watch The Dirty Picture. I saw more than half, made a break for some days and now when I wanted to finish it, I discovered it expired from Netflix. Seems like I must finish it elsewhere.
    I begin The good cop series with my family too, and I started watching 90 day fiance again (don’t judge me πŸ˜‰ )
    Listening: Shaadi Mein Zaroor Aana soundtrack again.

6. My favorite Sid movie is Ittefaq and my favorite movie with Sid in it is Kapoor and Sons. I felt he showed a bit of potential in Ittefaq but maybe it’s my wishful thinking. I like him and I’m always hoping he’ll blossom into a really good actor. Or he could be like Sonam–good when he stays in his lane.

I had a big movie watching weekend planned for last week (three-day weekend in Japan!) but my friends kept inviting me to do things. Damned people who want me to leave my house! Monday I was trying to watch the classic Bengali Jatugriha but sometimes Einthusan doesn’t work for me. Does that happen to other people? Would becoming a paying member help?

So, just gradually watching Chupke Chupke so I can participate in the discussion Friday, but I’m halfway through and a bit exasperated that Dharmendra is going to humorously impersonate a working class person for the second time in an hour. And not enough Amitabh and no Jaya so far. But, looking forward to the second half.

• I hate people who keep inviting me to leave the house!!! So irritating.

Sid’s next movie is an action film, which seems promising. I think he really is a good action hero, just enough charm and ease to get over the rough patches, and a nice touch with action scenes.

I have pay einthusan and the only difference is, no ads. But that can make a big difference since I noticed it was usually the ads that tended to freeze it.

No, see, the first Dharmendra charade was as an unattractive older man, but the second charade is as a forbidden attractive young man in a uniform!!!! Completely different. Anyway, I am glad you are watching it!!! I think you might enjoy it, it feels like it has that kind of Bengali flavor that you might enjoy. Oh, and Jaya will show up soon and she and Amitabh will be very cute.

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 10:14 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

7. Meant to share this yesterday: How Zero should have ended by Shudh Desi Endings. I have a soft spot for them because I feel like they are frustrated fans of Shah Rukh. Mars Idol and the Trump impression especially made me laugh.

The video has English swearing and possibly quite offensive things in this video in Hindi–no English subtitles. Apologies up front and I’m fine if you want to remove it from the thread Margaret.

If anyone’s inclined I’d love to know who the two judges in Mars Idol alongside Farah are, and any translation anyone feels up to. I especially don’t get any of the stuff at the end on Mars. πŸ™‚

8. I have a good news and a bad news. Good is – I have Namaste England with subtitles! I’m so happy!
    Bad news – I watched first 10 minutes and Parineeti is so annoying I can hardly look at her. I’m not sure if it’s me because I don’t like her, or she is really so bad. Will report more tomorrow.

• I am so happy too! Finally, the mystery of “how bad is bad?” will be answered!

On Thu, Jan 17, 2019 at 4:02 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Though question. Hope you’re ready fo some fangirling. I think he is universally hot, but for me even more because he’s so cuddly, tall and his shoulders are so large (but really so large and sexy!). His character is a sweetheart and it only adds to his hotness.

My opinion about the movie: IT’S NOT THAT BAD! Loveyatri was much worse. And Namaste England doesn’t even come close to the level of awfulness of Srinivasa Kalyanam (unarguably the worst indian movie 2018).
            Spoilers: There is no logic in many scenes and situations e.g Parineeti and Arjun have been married for a year and then she secretly marries other guy for visa and leaves with him. She says it’s a fake marriage but how it’s possible if she gains the permit to stay in England thanks to this mariage? But I’m not Indian and I don’t know how marriage laws work in India.
            Overall, it’s mediocre movie, it doesn’t deserve all this hate. Definitely not the worst movie of the year. Arjun is hot, the costumes are awesome (I want all Parineeti’s closet). Parineeti is terrible, especially in the first half when she has only this one facial expression (“this is my pretty face and I’m gonna stick with it for 1 hour”)

• I was thinking about the optimal cuddliness, and it’s not just being cuddly, it’s having the frame to carry it. I don’t think Hrithik could necessarily pull off that look (which isn’t to say that he has to be super super skinny) because he has such a tall lean frame. But Arjun is built just right to have the weight make him feel substantial and solid instead of floppy.

Parineeti marrying another guy for a Visa is way too confusing!!! And just strange. Like, huh? I can maybe see a statement about marriage of spirit versus marriage on paper or something, but it’s still an odd plot twist.

I am not Indian either but my impression, from the few people I know and movies, is that it is possible for society to treat the religious ceremony of marriage with such respect and power that the legalities of it might be forgotten. I know people like that in America too, you have the whole massive ceremony and everyone considers you married in your family and community and so on, and then maybe 4 months later you go to Vegas and do the actual legal paperwork. So we could maybe say that Arjun and Parineeti had a full religious marriage that everyone in their society accepted, but never filed the legal paperwork somehow. And Pari’s paper marriage had no ceremony involved, so no one thinks of it as “real”.

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 11:27 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh, and now you can vote on my 2018 polls!!!!! No one else has mentioned Srinivasa Kalyanam as the Worst Film winner, it’s up to you to nominate.

• Spoilers: Parineeti and Arjun were happy married and in love but she was obsessed with thoughts about going to London. He couldn’t get visa, and tried some others ways, and was said to marry a women from England, get papers, divorce and call Parineeti there. But he was such a sweetheart and too good to do this, so Parineeti, without saying him, did all this. And I was wondering because in Poland, where I married, the law is very strict – you can marry in church or in city hall, but either way you must sign the documents and make it valid. I saw in other indian movies that people wait to register the marriage, but here they were married for 1 year, and they never talked about not registering their union, so it was strange she could marry the other guy just like that, and Arjun didn’t even know about it.I guess it’s because the writers were lazy or thought they are still in the 90′ and people will not ask the questions.

• Wait, so was Pari’s plan to divorce the other guy and remarry Arjun eventually?

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 4:28 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes, she first told Arjun she is going on work visa. He was sad, but agreed because he knew how important it’s for her. But at the airport, she confessed she married/will marry (it wasn’t clear for me) the guy who was standing there, and later she will bring Arjun to London. He was shocked and desperated and decided to go to Europe illegaly, risking his life, to convince her it’s all wrong.

• Oh, that is actually better than the trailers made it look! Well, in some ways. He isn’t a repressive regressive husband that doesn’t want her to go to England at all, it’s just the way she is doing it that he objects to.

9. I just came across your name on the Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam wiki page! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hum_Tumhare_Hain_Sanam

“Another reviewer Margaret E. Redlich expresses that “I really liked the concept, of a husband who loves his wife but is not sure how she feels about him, if it is just a β€œgood wife” or if she really cares. It’s an intriguing twist on the usual Indian film idea, of a woman automatically falling in love as soon as the wedding is over. Is that what a husband really wants, a wife who loves him just because she is married to him?”[11]”

I was there because I was watching the title song (I’m feeling extra escapist today, ok?) and thinking–I think this movie is early 2000’s but it looks SO 90’s! So had to check out the wiki. And saw it had production problems.