Happy Wednesday! I get to work from home, because it is -50 degrees outside. Yes, you read that correctly, -50 degrees. Well, with wind chill, but it still counts! Anyway, everyone says to stay inside and don’t dare poke your nose out, so I get to work from home and eat everything in my fridge.

I’ll start!

Watching: Final season of Kimmy Schmidt! Which I kind of want to remake in Indian film but the only character I can think to cast is Lillian/Carol Kane to be Ratna Pathak.

Reading: All my old fanfic. It’s addictive. Check out the every-fanfic-of-2018 post if you similarly want to get lost in a sea of fanfic.

Thinking: I really really want to go outside. Just to see. Everyone says you’ll DIE, but surely they are exaggerating, right? How bad could it be? I shouldn’t. Or should I? I want to!

Listening: It’s cold out, obviously I need to warm up inside. So, this song:

Now, question for you! If you had to be locked inside because it was so cold out you will DIE if you go out, what movie star would you want to be locked up with and what would you want to do?

Hmm. Aamir would be untiring at playing board games, but still exhausting. Shahrukh runs the risk of dropping into depression as day 10 ticks by. Prabhas would just kind of sit around getting slightly drunk. I think I have to reject all men. Instead, I will hang out with Sara Ali Khan and become best friends as we share everything in our lives, and also make cookies.

72 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching Post: What Are You Watching and Reading and Thinking and Listening To While I Freeze?

1. Reading: Your book again (for references)
    Watching: Downloaded movies (one a day…as long as I’m on leave
    Thinking: About al the topics I respond to

No, it wouldn’t be ten days or more because with ShahRukh time would fly so quickly that one day only has 12 hours (if ever)…and then there would always be those wonderful, well heated Mercedes or BMW to go from one front door to the other front door of a well heated building. And in Chicago there have to be cimema halls where he can just blend in the audience.

What about Hazel?

• I don’t know, I still think he would get stir crazy and drive me crazy if we had to be locked up together. But I like your idea that he would provide cars with enough heat to take us from one place to another.

2. Reading: catching up on DCIB, which you can tell from my crop of comments!

Watching: Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor Who–we waited until enough eps were out that we could binge it. She is rocking the role, and we love the companions this season. Win! Also watched Tumbbad this week. Eh, it was fine. Lots of tropes that I’ve seen a hundred times in scary movies from the 60s and 70s, but done well.

Thinking: Margaret, please hang in there and don’t quit on DCIB! I hope more regular readers will comment and sign up as patrons. Sorry I don’t have any connections or good advice on how to make a living from blogging, or media studies generally. I do think you have built a coherent “brand” on the blog–personal, with interesting things to say, sweet with just enough snark not to be boring. I hope it will pay off for you!

Also thinking: How is Hazel? Sending you both warm hugs and yummy treats.

Film star to be locked in with: Going back and forth between Julie Walters (fun and lots of good gossip) and Shah Rukh (Scrabble, reading, Italian cooking, binge watching TV). Honestly I’d take my family over any film stars. Which makes me lucky.

DON’T go outside! Keep those fingers and toes healthy! I walked to classes in college once when the windchill made it -20, and my eyelashes froze shut. Not fun!

• I love it when you catch up on DCIB! So exciting seeing all the new comments.

I’m trying to do the same wait and binge system with two shows that are currently broadcasting, My Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and Schitt’s Creek, but it’s really hard when I know there are episodes out there. But if I just wait a little bit longer, all the eps will be out and I can do them all at once instead of the torture of waiting for a new one.

Glad to hear Tumbbad didn’t blow you away. I had so many people tell me it was just earth shatteringly perfect that I was worried I was missing something super special.

Thank you! I just had another one of my really dark moments of thinking if I was just wasting time here, having your encouragement helps.

It makes you very lucky!!!! I think I’d be happy locked in with my family, or my friends, but locked in just by myself with plenty of food in the freezer is good too.

3. When I’m not glued to season 4 of Outlander, I’m watching True Detective with my mouth hanging open at the wonders of Mahershala Ali’s talent. Last night, I fast forwarded thru Thugs of Hindustan. How could such an array of professionals have gone so wrong? I hope I have better luck tonight with Sui Dhaaga. As far as being marooned on an iceberg, you’re so right about dishing with a gal buddy over keeping the fun going with a guy once my clothes are back on. Prabhas is always my honey but I suspect you may be right about him too. He seems like a lovely fellow in real life, just not Bahubaali 1 and 2. If it had to be a man, I’ll go with Suniel Shetty, older, wiser and still moderately buff.

• I think you will probably like Sui Dhaaga, it’s a very nice little story. Not brilliant or groundbreaking, but nice.

I like your Suniel Shetty choice! Smart, emotionally balanced, mature, lots of interesting stories to tell, and very nice to look at.

4. I will have Fawad recite Urdu shaayari in that deep voice of his while looking soulfully with his beautiful eyes. I hope he can cook some good mutton biriyani too.
    If it’s a female star,I will keep SaiPallavi with me. She’s handy as a doctor in such cold weather plus she can dance & entertain me and we can chat about haircare,sarees or spill gossips.
    I just finished watching Sex Education on Netflix and loved it. Definitely making my sons watch it when they hit teenage.

• Oooo, Fawad is a good choice!!!! And he somehow seems like someone who could cook.

Sai’s another good one, excellent point about the medical training. And if the cold weather continues, you will need a way to stay active, learning break dance from her would be a good option.

5. Like procrastinatrix, I’m behind on my DCIB posts. Are you really thinking about abandoning it? Do I have to come out to Chicago and beat you up? Please hang in. You love it, you do it so well, it’s the only blog I’ll ever follow, and I’ll never be able to navigate Indian cinema without it.

• I have these really depressed moments every month or so, where I just feel like I’m not getting anywhere and I might as well give up. But it’s really nice to hear that I am helping people and they like it!

• Maybe, until spring and happy awakening comes, you can scale down a bit. I don’t know what the blog police require, but one nice, meaty post a day would do me fine for now. You can always ratchet up as the gloomies ease. I suspect you’re a spiritual person so remember, the universe gives us just as much as we can handle, no more. So go out and handle, girl!

• Thank you! And I am hoping that this is the worst period, I am FINALLY getting off my gosh-darn church committee as of mid-February (just have to get through one more service). And that will clear up so much head space for me. You know how when you have little responsibilities like that, it’s not just doing the tasks, it’s making the headspace to remember all the things you need to do? And then it kind of chases out all your other headspace.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:58 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. Reading: I just finished A Wrinkle in Time. I think it am readinging it about 55 years too late, as I was underwhelmed. Now I have started the most recent Louise Penny mystery, which is much more my thing than fantasy.

Watching: I downloaded Aiyyafor the trip to Mexico and Pahelhi for the return. I also watched an episode each of Great Chefs and No Reservations.

Thinking: I wrote poems! In Spanish! Why does this always happen on vacation, and why can’t I write poetry at home? I am also thinking about friendship in a very general way. I wish there were more great books and movies about friendship.

I am flying back to frigid Maryland today from sunny warm Mexico. It has been lovely, but I am looking forward to being home, no matter how cold it is.

• A Wrinkle In Time is my favorite book. Probably because I read it when I was 11. A few of my friends, including those who do like fantasy/sci-fi read it for the first time last year when the movie came out. They were also underwhelmed.

Did you see the movie? What did you think? I have a vinyl pop figure of Mindy Kaling as Mrs. Who on my desk at work. 🙂

• Welcome back! To DCIB if not yet to America.

I read A Wrinkle in Time at the absolute perfect age, and then I came back and read her other books a little bit older and they just didn’t send me the same way.

Are you one of my fanfic people? I feel like you are. And I think you might also be the right age to appreciate this, I just wrote two fanfics on Where the Boys Are and A Summer Place, if you need killing-time-at-the-airport reading.

• From Twinkle’s book, I am nervous about being locked in with Akshay. Apparently he gets up at 6am to do push ups, which Twinkle is able to ignore and roll over and go back to sleep, but I think it might make me feel a bit guilty.

7. Ah, yes.. Syracuse. I was an undergrad there, then stayed three more years while my husband worked on a grad degree. Brrrrr.

I forgot my cozy companion: Anil Kapoor, of course! He’s so much fun and if we got bored we’d Skype his friends and family and have a virtual party.

8. Watching:
    Indian: Aamhi Doghi, marathi movie I found on Prime, and I really really liked. I have only seen few marathi movies, but this one is my favourite. It’s the story about relationship of rich strong-willed girl and her simple step mom. I was surprised I like it so much because there is not much plot, but it was interesting, the characters were well written, the actors very good. I didn’t even mind the final drama, I dislike so much in other movies.

Non Indian:
    The Correspondence – I loved it, and thanks to this film I finally admited to myself that I love those whiny movies about love. Earlier I was like: Yes, my favourite movies are Hamari Adhuri Kahani and Sanam Teri Kasam, but I don’t like this genre 😉 It’s not true, and realizing it was nice.
    The King’s Speech – Yes, I watched it only now.
    The Man Who Knew Infinity with Dev Patel

Listening:
    I’m again obsessed with Gudilo Badilo Madilo Vodilo from DJ.

• I’ve only seen one Marathi film (Bucket List), but it felt like that too. I should watch more and see if that is just the Marathi style, more slow and slice of life than anything.

I saw The King’s Speech with my sister in theaters when it came out and we got constant giggle fits through the whole film. It was just so ridiculously over the top! Almost like a spoof of a period biopic at certain points.

Now that you have seen The Man That Knew Infinity, you can watch Ramanujan, the Tamil version that came out first and launched Savitri/Gemini’s grandson!

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 11:09 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• No, no more Ramanujan stories for me. While watching The Man That Knew Infinity I told my husband: this film is a mountain of sadness, and I don’t want to watch it again.

I think I’ve seen 5 marathi movies so far (YZ, The Bucket List, Sairat, the one with the guy who played Rani’s fiance in Aiyyaa, and Now Aamhi Doghi), and they all are similar. But it’s also true that I chose them from long list because I like this kind of films so I can’t say if it’s marathi style or it’s me.

I haven’t answered your question: I would like to be locked up with Arjun Kapoor, because I think it would be fun.

• My sister is in math, so I’ve heard all kinds of mathematician stories, and Ramanujan is really super sad. But it’s not true about all mathematicians, no matter what the movies make it look like! Turing was way happier than the movie made him look. And if you really want a smiley happy version of math life, check out “N is a Number” about the most recent Big Big Name. He was Hungarian, and very absentminded, but had a happy life. I think. From what I have heard.

Okay, I need more details, WHY do you think it would be fun to be locked up with Arjun?

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 12:39 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• He looks nice, and that’s important , because who wants to be locked up with a a jerk.
            I think he is funny and has a lot of things to say (+I could tell him: START DOING GOOD MOVIES!)
            But the most important – you saw him, he is so sexy, and I won’t lie, I’m curious if what Ranveer said in KwK is true 🙂

• Oh my, I had managed to forget the KWK detail. That is a terribly shallow reason, but still valid.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 2:02 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Ugh. Two masters of spin find each other. And also, interesting! There was a rumor of a movie about OSHO a while back, wasn’t Aamir supposed to be in it? Or am I not remembering right?

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 11:13 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes, lots of rumors about Aamir but it was a Hindi production, not US.

I have a lot of people recommending Wild Wild West to me but I haven’t seen it yet.

Oh, I watched Mughal-E-Azam! The scale of the production was jaw dropping and Madhubala is a goddess but I wanted to smack Prithviraj and Dilip. You started a war over this? With people dying? That’s not romantic, that’s selfish.

• Yaaaay for Mughal-E-Azam!!!!! And yaaay, you got the same thing out of the film that I did! And which (I think) was the makers intent, it’s NOT a love story, it’s a story about duty. Akbar was right and Dilip was wrong, and Madhubala just got pulled along for the ride. Ultimately Akbar was far kinder and more reasonable with her than Dilip, she really couldn’t have been the Empress, they had no future.

If you watch Wild Wild Country, be aware that it has just massive gaps. They wanted to focus on the contrast between the “rednecks” in America and the hippies, and they didn’t cover a lot of the truly horrible stuff the “Hippies” did even back in India. I know it is always an issue with documentaries, what they put in and what they leave out, but this one really bothered me. Trying to fit actual chemical warfare into a storyline of “ha-ha, culture clash”. If PC is truly planning a movie, then I’ll be interested if they try to redeem the “hippies” even more, or if they are honest about it.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 11:53 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

9. I hope you stay warm in that cold. Here in Finland there has been constant snowfall for the past three days. I heard it is worse in the U.S. than in here, which is sad.

Reading: First Day First Show by Anupama Chopra as well as Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman, great books to read while waiting for class to start or just on the bus

Listening: Just bought Jab Harry Met Sejal soundtrack so I can listen to it easily, still waiting for the ELKDTAL soundtrack to launch

Thinking: The Manikarnika stuff has interested me now that ELKDTAL is going to release soon and I need something to watch so I don’t go look for spoilers. And yeah continuing on your post on Manikarnika and Krish BollywoodHungama is really doing well in trying to get the view point from EVERYONE it’s hard not to try and get caught up with all this drama, though it is enjoyable to watch since I decided not to see the movie in the first place. Still a pity on everyone when listening to these stories, hopefully Krish does another movie with both of them in it since they both deserve more than Kangana’s antics gave them.

And here is Anil promoting ELKDTAL. The man is 62 and he is beyond energetic! I have to agree with almost everyone wanting him as companion for a cold day, though more for me as the funny uncle type with interesting stories than anything.

• First Day First Show is such a great book for bus reading! That’s how I read it, each chapter or article or whatever is the perfect length so you can hurry up and finish it before the bus arrives instead of being left hanging in the middle.

Thanks for keeping me updated with the videos!!!! I think I saw a quote from Mishti already. What I find most interesting with her is that she is one that had clear quotes saying “Kangana’s great!” before this. Which kind of confirms for me that we shouldn’t trust any of those quotes that came out before the movie released, because people were saying what they needed to in order to keep their jobs.

Something else interesting, the Sonu Sood video is actually old, from back when the story first broke. But it didn’t get as much attention back then I guess so they are re-releasing it or something.

I’m gonna try to watch the Mishti interview because, just based on the quotes I saw, she sounds really interesting.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 2:36 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yea the Sonu Sood video might be actually the old one. The problem with getting interested about this controversy is that I forgot to check the dates for it so you might be right. Or they are just now popping again to relevant status since now all the other actors and such can now do interviews.

• The Mishti video was fascinating! I just watched it. She was so clear that she is not a big name, she is not famous, and she doesn’t want to be famous, she is just a working actress. It felt like the closest we can come to the perspective of the average worker. And she is a woman, so it says something different for her to be speaking out against Kangana. Also, she was very articulate and it made me want to watch more movies with her and listen to more interviews.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 4:07 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

10. Oh, and I forgot a really amazing non-Indian movie I saw on the airplane. It’s a documentary about a set of triplets separated at birth, called something like “Three Complete Strangers”. I hear a critic on the radio say it was the best movie he had seen in 2019, and I would have to place it at or near the top. Absolutely true and completely mind-bogg.

• Oh! My quilting ladies were talking about it months back, but none of them could remember the title and I wasn’t able to track it down afterwards. It sounded fascinating.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 6:20 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

11. Ooh, Kimmy Schmidt! I love that show. I’m seeing Boman Irani as Titus–maybe that’s too obvious a choice.

I recently got into The Bodyguard, a British series on Netflix. The first one was excellent. (I can’t binge things like the kids do). So far the perfect combination of gritty British procedural + hot guy.

Thinking: ELKDTAL is coming out and I will never be able to watch it. I’m really looking forward to it and would like to watch on a high quality (=legal) platform, but it doesn’t have a Khan and probably will not release in Japan, and no one will bother about Japanese subtitles so it won’t come to Netflix, and I’ll have to wait and hope that eventually, years from now, Erosnow will finally stream it, and no one will want to talk about it any more.

However, Manmarziyan is out on Erosnow–almost the same year it released in theaters! And Padman is playing at my local theater next month.

Watching: I watched The Violin Player on Netflix, probably because it is super short (70 minutes?) and I was about to fall asleep. I like a long slow movie as much as the next guy and more than most, but this would have been much better as a 20-minute short film. In its spare plot and twist ending it really fits the format of a short film, and the long meditative parts feel artificial, like they were adding to (barely) make it long enough to be a feature film. Despite two great actors (Ritwik Chakraborty and Adil Hussain) it really drags in spots.

Being snowed in is a good time to have couple friends, so you can make food and eat and talk together. I’m going with Rajkummar and Patralekhaa. They seem like lovely people who have fun together.

• Karan!!!! Karan as Titus! Oh, I would love that. And maybe Vidya as Jacqueline???? I’m trying to think of a woman who can do comedy, and she is quite good. But Kimmy still stumps me. Genelia has the right look, but I don’t know if she could do the role. And, obviously, Hrithik as The Reverend.

I’m debating The Bodyguard. I am a binger, because I am one of those kids today. Although back when I started, “bingeing” was requesting TV shows on DVD from the library. But the same concept, I just hate having to wait to see what happens. Anyway, debating the Bodyguard because I don’t want it to end on a cliffhanger and then I will be all unfulfilled until I find out how it ends.

Does einthusan work in Japan? If so, I think it is time to just give in and use it. If there is no other option, then it’s not really really illegal. Although still takes forever to buffer.

So excited for you to see Manmarziyaan and Padman! And then you can comment on my reviews and I can be reminded “oh yeah, that movie!”

Oh, couple friends opens up a whole new world of possibilities! Or, you could go for sibling friends. Like, say, fool around with Ranbir, then put him to sleep and gossip with Kareena. No! Better! Fool around with Harsh, then put him to sleep and hang out with Sonam and Rhea. And then call Anil up on Skype.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 9:21 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I can use einthusan but sometimes it does not work well. I’ve had a couple of times when I was all set to watch the movie, and it buffered so long I gave up, and I’ve had other times with no problem. I’m not against using it, but if I’m in the mood to watch a movie and can’t, that’s pretty frustrating. But,yeah, I’ll think I’ll be doing more of that.

12. Hello from balmy 9 degrees on the east coast. This weather makes me want to hide under the covers with a book. I don’t know who I would hole up with. Someone patient and chill enough that they wouldn’t be climbing the walls, but with enough good stories that it wouldn’t get boring. Also good at listening, which I feel like doesn’t describe many actors :).

Reading: Did you see this Devarsi Ghosh post on Gully Boy? The idea of Ranveer rapping made me leery, but he comes off well in this piece, and the massive musical collaboration behind the soundtrack sounds amazing.

• Thank you for the piece!!! Makes me excited for the soundtrack, especially the idea of mixing together new hip-hop artists and a Javed Akhtar spoken word poem.

Speaking of the article, I think you DEFINITELY do not want to hole up with Ranveer. It would be entertaining for about an hour, and then you would just have an urge to stab him with a tranquilizer dart.

13. I watched Krish’s debut ‘Gamyam’. Its a good movie with some funny scenes. In the very first scene Sarvanand is calling out for Kamalinee when he is clearly flatlining!! The story is very good and love the characterization. One of my favorite movies for watch while working.

I watched another Telugu movie ‘Gulabi’. It is produced by RGV and directed by Krishna Vamsi. It was a huge hit when it released and is still good.

• Gamyam is one of the best in the new millennium Telugu movies, esp. the song Entavaraku. Inspired by Motorcycle Diaries. Also, bringing back the genre of road movies.

Gulabi, though romantic and technically good (for the 90s), I felt it a bit stalking and violent.

Gulabi reminds me an anecdote similar to current Manikarnika. Ramgopal Varma initially given debut chance to KV for Anukokunda Oka Roju – after a part of the film was shot, RGV did not like what he had seen, changed the serious road movie into a comedy and released with his name as a director. Later, gave the Gulabi chance to KV

• Yes! That Gulabi story feels familiar to me. I hadn’t heard that before, but with the producer/director types, it’s not uncommon for them to step in and take the movie back. But then, they are supposed to be mentoring the director, they are the producer. Karan Johar talked about stress on the sets of Dostana as he was writing and producing and had a hard time letting go of the directing (although he let the director keep his credit). I can’t think of other examples at the moment, but I know that is a not uncommon story, “so-and-so is producing this film” and then a few weeks later “now so-and-so is also directing the film”. But it is usually done in a way that doesn’t humiliate the original director.

• I didn’t know about RGV and KV thing. Interesting.

I’m okay with the stalking in the movie because the woman does it (I’m a bit of a hypocrite that way) and the hero was never in any danger from her. Also the bike stunts from the song Meghalalo..!! I admit we tried a few of them and ended up with a few injuries and a bruised ego. Nothing permanent 🙂

• Does RGV do a lot of stuff in Telugu still as a producer? I have such a clear idea of him as a producer and director and personality in Bombay, but it seems like he has a whole different professional attitude and persona and everything down south.

• Yes he does, but doing more direction and less production. Right now, he’s directing a biopic on NTR (titled Lakshmi’s NTR) opposite to Krish’s NTR biopics (2 parts – film journey and political). And, RGV’s story would start right where Krish’s political biopic would supposedly end – it’s an entertaining social media battle going on 🙂

RGV has a mad following of fans in Telugu states (AP & Telangana) with equal number of haters – especially the way he mocks some Telugu heroes and tries to put his fingers into everything going on in Hyderabad. You can get a gist of it on his Facebook page and Twitter feed.

• How interesting! In Hindi, he seems to just randomly pop up sometimes with personal feuds or little biting remarks. But he isn’t always around, and I don’t think people pay much attention to him. Sounds like he acts the same way down south, but it is received very different since he is so respected and involved, instead of just being an outsider folks mostly ignore.

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 12:00 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

14. Catching up after returning from the ALA conference in Seattle. And everyone’s talking about my hometown of Syracuse and cold weather in the comments:)

I think I mentioned that I watched Stree and was sadly underwhelmed.

I watched Baazaar on the plane to Seattle and it was the perfect plane viewing. A better than average kind of time pass film. I really liked the young actor in it (though is name is escaping me now) and Saif was perfect in the role. Chitranganda Singh really should get more roles. She’s always such a strong, sophisticated presence in her films. I never really liked the original Wall Street, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the premise and setting of this one. I thought the cinematography and production in general was really solid, too.

Watched Kuchh Bheege Alfaaz, directed by Onir. It was pleasant, but one of those indie type scripts/films that I actually feel would have been better as a more mainstream film. Both leads were compelling, the guy especially, but the incredibly poor makeup/continuity issues with the heroine’s vitiligo, a major plot point, was distracting when it should have been handled so much better.

Finally, I watched Thugs of Hindostan and I actually really liked it! I get all of the issues with it, the derivative plot, music, etc, but it had some really OTT cinematic moments that were hard to be immune to, like the “statue” melting in the rain and the burning Ram statue at the end. I’m still not sure I like Katrina’s dancing and the hotpants, but her role was fun. And I have to say, since I’m normally not an Aamir fan, I found him kind of sexy in this role. Those eyes really are beautiful when they’re not overacting and the serious turn the anti-hero takes at times really works for me. I was a bit uncomfortable with the romantic current with Zafira, so I was glad with how they ended it. I thought Lloyd Owen was a decent English villain, too, though the one English dude turning into a good guy was a little much. And it didn’t even bother me that the English spoke to each other in Hindi, since I really do think it was done so that little kids watching this movie wouldn’t have to read subtitles!

• Oh, of course! That’s why they spoke Hindi!!! That makes me feel better. My problem was not watching it with little kids. Remember the sword fight at the end of Prem Ratan Dhan Payo? I had some friends asking me “what is this? why is this here?” But I had seen it in theaters with little kids and they LOVED that part, so it all made sense.

Saif was so good in Bazaar. I think every movie I’ve seen him in for maybe 4 years, I’ve had the same reaction, that he is on a whole other level of performing from his co-stars. Which also says something about the kind of movies and kind of co-stars he has been working with. I’ll be interested to see him and Ajay play against each other in Taanaji, if Saif still steals the film or if Ajay fights him to a draw.

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 12:56 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Have you seen Kaalakaandi yet? He’s really experimenting with this new phase of his acting career there. That one, Baazaar, and Sacred Games all do demonstrate that he’s not like other actors of his generation. He’s actually evolved and his acting has exponentially improved. Plus he’s not afraid to take risks.

• Haven’t seen Kaalakandi, but from what I’ve heard, yes, agree, another risky one. I’m really curious what his role in Taanaji will be like. I have to think it will be something interesting and deeper than just the usual “second hero” or “villain” because it seems like he is looking for something more interesting than that. Even Rangoon, which I very much disliked (as you know), Saif’s performance and character was the best part.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 8:46 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Isn’t Taanaji the one where he’s playing a sadhu? I bet they will try to do something to recreate the magic of Omkara and make him a villain.

Saif is really the most interesting actor in Hindi films today. Deserves so much more respect. Sid and Adi were funny on KWK this weekend talking about his short shorts that he wears to the gym and Sid said some nice things about him, that make me think that Saif may have taken him under his wing a bit. Makes me like Sid even more. Both he and Adi came across as cool but nice guys.

• And I’m behind on KWK again! I have all my notes for the Rajkummar-Bhumi episode but haven’t written it up, and I haven’t even watched Sid and Aditya yet.

Interesting that Sid talked about Saif. Have they even co-starred together?

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 9:43 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I don’t think Sid and Saif have ever been in a film together, nor Sid and Kareena either? Sounds like they all work out at the same gym and he’s gotten to know him that way? Sid did try to call him first during the game thing and he didn’t pick up!

I really do hope Sid is dating Jacqueline…she’s one of my low key faves. She’s just so goofy and Sid seems charmed by her (or she’s just another PR stunt;)).

The Rajkumar Rao and Bhumi KWK episode was weird. Karan seemed less than engaged, Bhumi was obnoxious, and Rajkumar Rao was trying a little too hard, too. The Sid and Adi episode was much better.

• I feel the same way about Jacqueline! And she and Sid seem like a good match in a lot of ways, both of them pleasant and hardworking and easy to get along with (based on how friendly they are with past co-stars), but not particularly talented or super ambitious. I could see them getting married and being a nice lowkey star couple, not competing with each other or worrying about being dragged down by each other.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 10:30 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote: