Happy Wednesday! I’m back at work because I am a masochist who doesn’t believe in sick days! We’ll see how long I last.

I’ll start!

Reading: After getting all your mystery recommendations last week, I landed on trying the Irish Murder Squad series first. I’m about a quarter into the first book and still getting used to the characters and setting, but very curious who did the murder so that will keep me going.

Watching: Shoot, I was supposed to finish Peranbu by today. Oh well. Instead, I watched a bunch of BBC stuff for the pretty costumes and accents. Father Brown in particular, the most ridiculous show set in a 1950s England where there are no protestants, and every third person is a happy Lesbian. And every 4th person gets murdered.

Thinking: Is this because I go to bed with wet hair? Do I have a cold because that finally caught up with me?

Listening: I had this going on the drive to get breakfast yesterday so I wouldn’t fall asleep:

Now, question for you! Should I go see Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy this week? What’s the buzz?

And if you want a funner question, go over to last night’s post to give your opinion on the temperature of actors.

51 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching Post: What Are You Reading and Watching and Thinking and Listening To this Week?

1. Not really much to discuss, but I am thinking it is a bit ironic that a movie called War is being released on Gandhi Jayanti/International Day of Non-Violence. Hmmm.

• They did the same thing with Bang Bang, but the promos were really cheeky and aware about it. Plus, you know, Bang Bang. It wasn’t exactly pro-violence, it was more pro-abs.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 10:04 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Kamli’s a great song to keep you awake, hope you feel better soon!

Watching: Good Omens – David Tennant is excellent, as usual, and I need to start reading Terry Pratchett

Reading: I want to start The Poppy War today, heard good things about it

3. In the last couple of weeks I’ve watched a few Shashi movies. Shakespeare Wallah, Junoon, and The Householder. Based on your recommendation I also listened to the audiobook of Shashi Kapoor: Householder and Star. What an interesting life and an interesting time he was part of.

I enjoyed all the movies, but liked Junoon the best. It’s one of those movies where while it is men who are making the decisions that change everyone’s lives (the rebellion, Shashi deciding he must marry Jennifer’s daughter), the real story is how the women influence those decisions and manage the fallout. All of the women give wonderful performances, except for the woman who plays the daughter, and she is not given much to work with. Shashi and Jennifer playing against each other is wonderful.

I’ve watched a few more Vijay Sethupathi flicks too: Kadhalum Kavunthu Pogum–have you reviewed this one? Such a fun romcom with some sneaky social commentary thrown in. Also Pizza, and Kavan–the last one because I stumbled across the song Oxygen and then couldn’t get it out of my head, and because it also had Vijay with Madonna, who make a nice pair.

I don’t have an opinion about you going to see Sye Raa, but if you do, I can’t wait to hear about Vijay’s role and performance. 🙂

Thinking: yes! impeachment! but trying not to get my hopes up too much.

• Junoon is so good! Don’t watch Bombay Talkies, he’s super sexy but otherwise not great. Kabhi Kabhi though is a MUST if you haven’t seen it already. Best Husband Ever.

I’ve seen Pizza but none of the other ones you mention.

I am debating Sye Raa, I still feel just dead on my feet, but on the other hand it looks so fun! Maybe a Saturday matinee if I feel up to it.

• I have seen Kabhi Kabhi and Trishul, but not Deewar yet–it’s oddly not available, or at least the last time I looked it wasn’t.

I can’t decide if Sye Raa looks fun or hyper-nationalistic and annoying. And, I hope you feel better soon!

• That is really weird about Deewar! I just searched myself and it pops up all over youtube, but without subtitles. So that tells me no one has streaming rights and is trying to control youtube. Very strange! I wonder why?

I think Sye Raa might be fun if I have someone to go with me, but by myself might end up just being super boring.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 6:37 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh, and I meant to say, Kavan takes at least some inspiration from Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani. It’s a bit slow in places, but has a couple of fun songs, and I enjoyed it. They’d make a good double feature together.

• IDK, I actually love Bombay Talkie but that’s because it is schlocky and super camp on purpose. If you enjoy that and Shashi looking amazing, then you will like it. Heat and Dust is objectively better though.

Any Vijay Sethupathi recs? I like him a lot but difficult to get a handle on his movies.

• I’ll end up watching both of them I’m sure. Shashi is too fun to watch, and Shashi with Jennifer is extra interesting.

Vijay movies–I first saw him in 96 and got an insta-crush. But Ram is such a different character for him. I enjoyed Vikram Vedha–with bonus Maddy!–and Kadhalum Kadandhu Pogum. I watched Super Deluxe and Vijay’s and others’ performances were good, but it’s not my type of flick. Too self-conscious, too happy with itself.

4. Margaret if you intend to watch syeraa, go through his wiki article which tells the back story etc… movie will have exagerations for sure, but hoping it sticks close enough to reality. I am not sure people were that ultra nationalistic back then atleast before 1857, but there are few good actors to keep it engaging.

5. Not everyday you can see Chiranjeevi, Amitabh Bachchan, VJS and Sudeep together on big screen, so I would definitely watch Sye Raa Narasimha Reddy. Don’t know if it will be good, but it will have a lot of spectacle for sure.

6. I read two excellent news today. Well, excellent for me. First I was checking upcoming movies on Netflix, and guess what – tomorrow they will add Malaal! I wanted to watch it so badly, but I was sure it will end in some obscure place and without subs (=stupid Zee5) and I’ll never watch it. So imagine how surprised I was Towhen I found out I will have it here and with italian subs!
    Other news: Sonakshi Sinha’s Khandani Shafakhana is now on Prime. Probably I’m the only person on this planet to be excited about it, but I must watch it for Priyansh Jora, I already love 😍

• Oh good, you can watch Malaal and tell us all how it is!

So happy you get to see Khandaani Shefakhani! It is not good, but you will love the hero.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 3:21 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I was so happy seeing that Malaal will be on Netflix. It was such a pleasant surprise. I started thinking: maybe this Netflix isn’t that bad. And you know what – the movie hasn’t been added! It disappeared from “upcoming films” list, but didn’t appeared on recenty added, nor in the cataloge. It’s so enraging!

• Angie- you are the best! I kept searching for Khandaani Shafakhana but it is spelled slightest differently on Prime so I couldn’t find it. I am going to watch it this evening!

Also, thank you so much for the Marathi recommendations. I loved Amhi Doghi so much and really enjoyed Ranangan. So much Mahabharat references in Ranangan. I also watched Lai Bhari and Mauli. I personally didn’t like Lai Bhari, but it was a huge hit in India. But enjoyed Mauli a lot. But both movies (along with most Marathi movies) need better editing. Thank god for the 10 sec forwards on most apps! But both movies give you a Karan Arjun nostalgic feeling and are quite masala.

• I had the same problem with Khandaani Shafakhana, and had to search it using Sonakshi’s name.

I’m happy you liked Amhi Doghi. I started watching it without any expectations, didn’t know if it’s good or bad, but only 30 minutes were enough to see it’s a very good story and well made film. Rarely we can see female characters like the ones in this movie.

7. Watching: Silsila – actually found this kind of boring, not what I expected. I liked the opening, young Amitabh being warm and charming is fun to watch (funny, this connects to your temperature post). After the first plane crash, the long stretch of love triangle, so many long camera shots of Jaya looking stricken, and Rekha doing femme fatale, and Amitabh stomping around and glowering and cheating on his wife. Amitabh doing tragic I didn’t find compelling, his face was just kind of set to frowny. Interesting contrast to SRK, who wept his way through several three-hour iconic films. Silsila, the middle two hours, if it hadn’t been for the meta intrigue of the real life relationships to keep me watching, don’t know if I would have made it to the end. I did like the doctor husband. Of the three leads, Jaya’s acting stood out, she had the most range.

Dhoom 3 – watched with the kids over the weekend. They liked it. The most entertaining part for me was the creative camerawork they used to try to make the height difference between Aamir and Kat disappear.

Darr – stayed away from this for a long time but it was better than I thought, in the sense that his crazy stalker character is clearly the villain and Juhi never remotely falls for him. The ending was my least favorite part, that final encounter is so long and brutal (and the fighting is silly and the blood is so very red). It was interesting context to have just read your Deol post as background (good timing, thanks!). Mostly I was thinking about Yash choosing this cast, and what it meant for SRK to play that role at a time when I think he was expecting to make a career of dark villain parts. He does the split personality very well. It’s not as natural a performance as his best but you can see him working on perfecting some of the villain moves – crazy eyes, violent outbursts, stalkerish leering, flipping from loving to creepy/possessive and back. Juhi…got better with time, in this she had her little gestures but the emotion felt kind of uncoordinated. And the story, having just seen Silsila, got me to thinking that Yash’s plotting feels workmanlike. There aren’t a lot of creative twists or subtle dynamics. This makes the movies very dependent on the performances of the lead actors to carry all the emotional development and shape the story.

I’m going to try Kabhi Kabhi next to see if I like that better.

Your cold is some virus that everyone has been getting in the last few weeks, including half my family and most of my office and even the people who read news on TV. We don’t all go to bed with wet hair, ergo that might not be what got you sick. But I’m not a grandma so what do I know?

• Silsila: This one I find gets better with rewatches. Because Yashji (similar to Darr) definitely did NOT want us rooting for the “hero”. Rekha and Amitabh’s relationship was shallow and selfish, was about them working out some sort of romantic fantasy that lingered into their marriages, and it was doomed from the start. He plays a little trick on the audience, I think, letting us see their relationship as they see it, poetry and flowers and so on, until we start to see it through Jaya’s eyes, and society, and even their friends, and realize what a shallow wrong thing it is. Most of all, isn’t Shashi great? That’s why you need to watch Kabhi Kabhi, more Shashi! Being AWESOME!!!! While Amitabh continues to be a drippy poet that is everyone’s bad selfish college boyfriend.

Dhoom 3: My favorite part is watching how no camera work on earth can hide the height difference between Abhishek and Aamir.

Darr: Oh yeah, Shahrukh is clearly the villain. And what is even better, Yashji plays with the common stalker love tropes to show just how villainous they are. I love the ending with him peeping on her changing, a scene that in another movie would be titillating and romantic. I watched Anjaam for the first time recently and it really made me appreciate Shahrukh in Darr even more! He’s better in Darr, more natural, but also it’s just a completely different performance. In Darr he is a damaged poor little boy who is incapable of letting go of his delusions even as they hurt others. In Anjaam he is a spoiled entitled brat. They both end up in the same place (stalking and then attacking the women they “love”) but they have different backstories and Shahrukh plays the roles completely differently to represent that. The Sunny casting was brilliant, the big lumpy unquestioning Man who is incapable of understanding the danger that Juhi senses, or confronting it.

I was wondering how far this thing is traveling! My Mom and I got a cold simultaneously, without having seen each other or anyone else who knew us both in over a week. I thought it was a coincidence, but now I am thinking it is in fact the same cold that has spread so fast somehow we both got it at the same time.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 10:07 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Think we should read anything into the fact that Aamir doesn’t mind being shown looking up up up at Abhishek, but not so much at Kat? Nah, right? Probably just a hero vs. villain vs. romance thing?

I like your Darr review, seeing it as a deconstruction adds a layer. I did wonder at that voyeuristic opening, though of course didn’t catch most of the callouts to other films. It helps explain some of what felt like creaky points in the plot – we need to get to Switzerland because Sangam. Also interesting about Sunny. That drinking scene with the two of them was one of my favorite parts.

I did like Shashi in Silsila. That chin! So dashing.

• Shashi is always dashing! Also, Silsila always makes me think about one of my favorite fanvids:

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 11:01 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m glad I’m not the only one who was (initially) bored and irritated by Silsila! Basically, because I read it as “look at these poor star crossed lovers” and I wasn’t having it. It might be time to try again.

• Yeah, try watching it as “look at these deluded loves who don’t realize their time has passed” and it becomes a far more interesting film.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 8:02 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

8. Sorry you’re sick! I can just run to a hospital and get all kinds of drugs and pay about $10, but I understand it is much more problematic there (and if you have a cold probably drugs won’t work anyway).

Thinking: yay, Family Man! Boo, it’s on stupid Prime and I’ll have Japanese subs and I’m not sure I’ll be able to handle a complex story! I will try anyway.

Watching: I’m happy about the woman-centric trend in Indian cinema but unhappy it has led to so many well-meaning terrible films that I feel bad for hating so passionately. The latest is Firebrand, which is on Netflix. This is about a female divorce lawyer who is also a rape victim and trying to work through her trauma. The bright spot in this is Girish Kulkarni who usually plays some kind of evil weasel but is cast here as the main character’s kind and understanding husband. I think it’s poorly directed–when everyone reads their lines as if trying to decipher them from a distant billboard that’s a direction problem, yes? One of the subplots has to do with a divorcing couple who have an autistic daughter. The actress playing the daughter is so adorable but around 9 years old, and she just doesn’t have the chops. Everyone makes these weird vocalizations when they are crying, angry, or having sex, which make them sound like anime characters. There are several sex scenes and they are absolutely cringey–I felt like putting my fingers in my ears and singing, and then taking a complete bath and attending a prayer meeting.

The next evening I watched Band Baaja Baaraat for like the 300th time. I really love that ending scene where Anushka just owns her feelings: “Yes I fell in love with you! Does that make you a hero?” Also, noticed that the first shot is a pigeon, which reminded me of the pigeons in Delhi 6. Delhi must really equal pigeons to Indians. Also had a question that somehow never occurred to me before: What, in the context of a wedding, is a “farmhouse”?

• Yeah, I don’t even know what drugs I would take. Adrenaline to give me energy after being awake all night? That’s probably not a good thing.

Ugh, Netflix seems to have a problem in general with greenlighting movies that have good thoughts but bad content. The filming quality of streaming films is just not the same as theatrical, part of the reason the streaming trend makes me nervous. Anyway, I will continue to avoid “Firebrand”, thank you!

Oh oh! I can answer the “Farmhouse” question! It translates to “country estate”. There are “farmhouses” outside Bombay too (Salman has one), but in the context of Delhi in particular it seems more like a done thing, if you are really truly wealthy you must have a farmhouse and they are spectacular displays of wealth.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 11:54 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Actually I think cheap and plentiful drugs are a flaw in the system here. I’ve had to ask doctors if the medicine they are prescribing is strictly necessary or if I can skip it. Also, they will test you for every possible thing, no matter how expensive. Seriously, I went in for a tension headache once and I got an MRI. Not even thinking about the expense, what about false positives? Not to mention the stress an American feels when she is told she’s going to have an MRI.

I hope your very coherent response means you are no longer hallucinating?

Thanks for the explanation. I suddenly noticed on this watching that when they were talking about farmhouses I was mentally picturing a cozy barn and then they cut to something that can accommodate 60 backup dancers.

• I am doing better. And my brain was still mostly working, it’s just the aura was really messing with my eyes so shapes and colors looked slightly different than usual and were hard to recognize as familiar objects. The whole thing was very weird.

Anyhoo, yes! Farmhouses! Really just massive luxury country estates. Although I read an article a few years back that Salman grows his own organic pumpkins at his farmhouse, which I find very endearing.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 8:07 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

9. No, I wont recommend Sye Ra, unless you want to watch a regular Telugu masala movie, but set up in a period. I am not expecting it to be even to the level of Nagarjuna’s Rajanna. I predict it would end up like Thugs.

10. This psa just came out yesterday, India’s got colour, about skin color discrimination. It’s a fun humorous ditty.

Also you can play “spot your favorite parallel actor” because all the buzziest actors from Hindi streaming and art films are in this.

This video makes you realize as a side note that the latest crop of A list commercial actors are almost all very fair skinned – men and women – whereas the parallel actors are pretty much every shade except ultra fair.

Also makes you realize that what a vast stable of “good” actors we have currently to fill out all the roles in the new content spaces.

Thinking: impeachment. The timing is perfect wrt the next election cycle. Pelosi either held of the whistleblower off till now or else is thanking her lucky stars that this happened when it did. The Trump problem is always the white collar crime angle. His base (and even others) don’t understand the significance of the things he does and therefore don’t care. If he would just commit an old fashioned robbery (hello Watergate) or kidnapping, then we could get the country behind finally losing this guy.

• Yes! The actresses are SO PALE! Actors too. That. along with English language skills, feels like the biggest requirement now for being in the industry. And brings along a certain class/cultural component. Although skin color doesn’t line up exactly with class which I find fascinating in how it plays with expectations. Radhike Apte comes from an extremely privilaged background, Illeana D’Cruz from an extremely poor one, but their skin color means they tend to be cast in roles opposite to their reality.

And for the rest (remember, politics free zone here so we have a little escape!), I will just say that you reminded me of this: https://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/1974/07/23

11. Last week MPK recommended telugu thriller Evaru, remake of The invisible guest. Adivi Sesh was handsome as always, but I think the original movie was better.
    I also watched marathi Ranangan. OMG so much drama! This movie has it all: unmarried pregnant girl, evil father in law, murders, revenge, secrets and a lot of Ganesha worshiping. It was like those tv soaps but better because only 2 hours long.

• You are so adventurous in your viewing! Meanwhile I’m wracking my brains to figure out what to schedule for next week.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 2:37 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• How about movies about corrupt politicians? Or counterprogramming, movies about ordinary people who choose to do the right thing in spite of the consequences? Or full filmi, total fantasy films for complete escape?

Speaking of which, so many space movies lately! Apparently we all just want to get the heck out of here.

• Nah, I’ll probably just end up seeing the Hrithik-Tiger movie and the ridiculous multi-star Telugu movie.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 9:53 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Thank goodness for adjusted release dates and midweek releases! Now I just have to wrack my brain to figure out when the heck I will be able to watch two movies in the middle of the week.

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 10:02 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• If any of them, it would probably be Bard of Blood because of SRK. But I’m not really interested in any of them.

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 10:11 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

12. Indulge me for a minute, but this post on Antonio Banderas again makes me think of the parallels with SRK’s career.

“A young stage performer from Málaga who initially dreamed of playing soccer, Banderas was plucked from Spain’s National Theatre in the early ’80s by Almodóvar.” Sounds familiar, right? Break-out film roles in the mid 90s, starting with characters that were dark or risque (surprising number of gay roles early on, he too has that sensitive side). Transitioning to more mainstream romance and action roles, then after some flops pushing into more ambitious characters requiring more nuanced acting…and finally getting respect for his skills in the last few years. He’s 5 years older and 2 inches taller :). If this latest movie ends up being the great role in a great film he’s spent all these years growing into, that would be a happy place to end up.

• Shahrukh and Antonio plot, GO! Late in life gay love story? Best friends at the end of life facing mortality together? Rival lawyers caught in a deep taut BBC crime miniseries? Maybe rival lawyers and former best friends caught in a deep taut BBC crime miniseries who find themselves also in a late in life gay love story?

On Fri, Sep 27, 2019 at 3:06 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Hmm. Not lawyers. I’m thinking Goa and a little darker. Set in India, so it’s Antonio on Shah Rukh’s home turf. So let’s say Shah Rukh is a successful textile trader and of course adept at working the local police and politicians to benefit his business. Kind of a settled Raees. Antonio shows up as an unwelcome reminder of his past, when he got his start as an illicit smuggler. Antonio, meanwhile, never made it past small time smuggler, he’s led a rootless life with a lot of broken relationships, maybe male and female, along the way. This guy.

He shows up in Goa needing Shah Rukh’s help to get out of some mess. He has an edge of danger, because Shah Rukh owes him for something bad that went down in the past, and he also knows Antonio isn’t the kind to leave him in peace until he gets what he wants. Shah Rukh is a widower with an almost grown daughter, who he doesn’t trust within nine yards of Antonio. He has a pretty good life, just a little lonely maybe.

Antonio drags him into his mess and there’s fighting and a couple of chases. Shah Rukh has crossed over to respectability and is trying not to get dragged back down, especially in Goa, his turf, where he operates on a cleaner level, genteel bribery. Antonio is relentless and bordering on self destructive. There’s an item dance, say some local gangster’s lover, and Antonio in seductive mode almost runs off with her, but Shah Rukh shuts it down and takes him away. Passionate confrontation on the beach at night, Antonio is ruining Shah Rukh’s carefully constructed life, and he’s going to get himself killed. Antonio has nothing to lose, whatever he cared about was destroyed long ago and Shah Rukh had a part in it. Shah Rukh sees that behind the tough facade is a lost and lonely soul and…kiss. Angry kiss that sparks something surprising for both of them.

After that I don’t know. How do we end it?

• I think it depends on if this is their first kiss, or if it is a continuation of a youthful lost love. I vote the second. Gael Garcia Benuel and Vikrant Massay in flashback play young Shahrukh and Antonio. Shahrukh was a young smuggler working for an international businessman who coordinated a delivery from Goa to Spain, Antonio was the local Spanish connection. Antonio offered to show him the city and then kissed him at the end of a wonderful day together and they were in love. Happy sunny weeks of perfection, and then the police show up. Antonio tells Shahrukh to “run!” Now, years later, Shahrukh has built a respectable life, while Antonio came out of jail hardened and unable to ever have a normal life. But when he has no other choice, trapped in Goa, he has to ask Shahrukh for help. And Shahrukh, because of his guilt for running while Antonio was arrested, agrees to help. While still being nervous that his past will come out. And then blah blah, the Kiss. They sleep together again, on the beach, and in the morning Shahrukh is the one who is in love and ready to rush into this, while Antonio lashes out and hurts him by pretending it meant nothing (because he still doesn’t trust Shahrukh to be real about this, and he wants to protect him). Tortured period with Shahrukh hurt but at the same time unable to hide the love in his eyes, and Antonio being as cold and angry as he can be to punish Shahrukh and drive him away. Final emotional confrontation when Shahrukh points out that Antonio is still trying to protect him, to make him run away, but this time he doesn’t want to run.

And also, other plot stuff.

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 12:14 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh yeah. Warm, cold, hot. And a little bit regular atmospheric when Shahrukh is hanging out with his daughter or otherwise having a normal life.

I think it has to end with Shahrukh going to jail for Antonio, although that’s a little scuzzy to do to his daughter. If they weren’t gay I would make the daughter actually Antonio’s. OH OH! Can we still do that? Antonio had a fling with a woman who was part of the same smuggling gang, he doesn’t know that while he was in jail she came to the gang to ask for help for her and her daughter and Shahrukh married her in order to pay back his debt to Antonio and raise the child of the man he loved? Highly dramatic, but I feel like SRK and Antonio can pull off this reveal without going too crazy. And then when Antonio shows up in their life, Shahrukh is worried that his daughter will figure out her “real” father and their whole life will be blown up.

On Sat, Sep 28, 2019 at 1:56 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: