I’ve narrowed it down to 3, but if you have a legitimate alternative, let me know. Which of these massive record breaking hit songs is the biggest song of the decade? Not your favorite, not the objectively best, just the Biggest?

I honestly can’t pick, you decide!

22 thoughts on “Song of the Decade: “Sheila Ki Jawani”, “Tum Hi Ho”, “Bom Diggy Diggy”, or Other?

1. Here is my sniff test: which song passes the Wedding Reception test, where the crazy drunk uncle will dominate the dance floor with ridiculous moves, even 10 years from now? Just like with Kaajra re for the 2000s, that distinction can only go to Sheila ki Jiwani. So of the 3, SkJ is my pick.

• Btw, while Bom Diggy might be my favorite song of the 3, I don’t think it belongs on this list. It is the culminating point of 10+years of “party rap” songs in hindi film, and arguably the perfecting of the genre. But most people I know don’t even know the song unless I play it for them.

Tum Hi Ho is a viable contender – it put Arjit Singh on the map, and it is possibly the only example this decade of a sole hit song actually driving people to the theaters and making the movie a hit. Even SkJ couldn’t accomplish that.

• I was debating “Bom Diggy”! It felt like surely there most be a song more recent than “Tum Hi Ho”, but that was the only one I could come up with that even came close. Interesting considering I just did that “rap” post about how the Yo Yo/Badshah/Whoever song is now required, and none of those songs really feel iconic.

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 1:22 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Among the party rap songs, lemme nominate Kar Gayi Chull (Kapoor & Sons) to replace Bom Diggy. It still gets people on the dance floor like it’s the latest song out instead of 5 years old. Plus I think its creative spin (or sampling?) of the mission impossible theme song, along with its name checking Raveena Tandon (at the same time that western songs were name checking Michelle Pfeiffer,
          Raveena’s western eqivalent as Most impossibly perfect face of the 90s that still looks equally perfect today) make the song unforgettable.

• I like this test! I would also go for the “drunk college girls shouting in unison at 4am in the club” test, and I think SKJ passes that too.

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 12:42 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Looks like an SKJ blow out! Which is what I was looking for, that one song that everyone consistantly enjoys.

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 12:51 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Also, now I have Sheila Ki Jawaani stuck in my head and apparently people think you are strange when you keep mumbling “I’m too sexy for you… Tere haath na aani”

2. NOT Bom Diggy Diggy. I can’t decide between the other two, even if most of the comments say SKJ, which I support those arguments. But there’s also a place for songs that just make you want to curl under your blanket in your room alone and cry.

• Plus, while Katrina got a big boost from SKJ, Tum Hi Ho helped the singer and the composer. So it was more about the music than the visuals. Whatever that means for this argument.

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 4:54 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. I’ve seen Sheila Ki Jawani used in other movies, like Fanney Khan. Have any of the other songs been referenced in other films?

• Pretty sure Tum Hi Ho has been, but I don’t think Bom Diggy has. This is an excellent point though, SKJ has definitely been used in far more films than Tum Hi Ho.

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 1:42 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. I don’t think Bom Diggy is even close to being as popular as the other two were. I know Tum Hi Ho was huge but I think Sun Raha Hai Na Tu was almost as big as it when the movie came out. I also think Lungi Dance could be a dark horse candidate but the obvious winner for me is Sheila.

• What about Lungi Dance as the song of the 2010-2015? It was definitely everywhere from 2013-2015 and overshadowed all else, but then it seems to have kind of faded while Sheila reigns triumphant.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 12:47 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• True, Lungi Dance did fade in a few years while Sheila lasted. Another song that I thought was really popular but faded quickly is Chammak Challo.