2010s, My Favorite Songs of the Decade (what are yours?)

This is a “discussion” post, I’m not going to say these are the best songs, or even that they will be my favorites tomorrow, or anything objective. These are just the ones that are my favorites right now and you can jump in with your favorites.

By the way, this list used to be a LOT longer! I went through all the Hindi releases of the past 10 years and pulled every song I liked. And then I decided to limit to to the ones I really really love.

“Jab Mila Tu” I Hate Luv Storys

“Dhayaan Chand” Manmarziyaan

“Mere Naam Tu” Zero

“Apna Time Aayega” Gully Boy

“Train Song” Gully Boy

“Bumro” The Notebook

“Jai Jai Shivshankar” War

28 thoughts on “2010s, My Favorite Songs of the Decade (what are yours?)

1. Oh man, my list has to include One Two Three Four Get on the Dance Floor and Lungi Dance, both from Chennai Express. They make me SO SO happy. Also, Punjabi Wedding Song and Engine Ki Seeti. Yes, I realize how ridiculous all these songs are but I can sing and dance spastically to them and they make me smile.

• I considered ALL of these! And then rejected them. I like them if I am in a particular mood, otherwise no. Also notice “Chammak Challo” is missing on the list.

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 2:18 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I am okay with Chammack Challo being off the list. I think I overdid it with that song so now I need a break from it. But the others on my list I can listen to on repeat and most importantly when I listen to music the most, which is when I workout. But I agree with approximately 75% of the list, (yes, I did the math).

2. Train Song is SO UNDERRATED and also so beautiful. Here’s my list. It will also probably be very long. I’m literally going through my iTunes, so this is in alphabetical order.
    “Aankh Marey” – Simmba
    “Jai Jai Shivshankar” – War
    “Khwabfaroshi” & “Ki Honda Pyaar” – Jabariya Jodi
    “Radha” – SOTY
    “Radha” – JHMS
    “Rajvaadi Odhni” – Kalank
    “Zilla Hilela” – Jabariya Jodi

• I had such a hard time narrowing my JHMS choices down, thank goodness you included almost the whole soundtrack in your picks. Although, no Yaadon Mein, Raula, Safar, or Parinda?

On Tue, Dec 31, 2019 at 4:52 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• The entire soundtrack is amazing, but as I was going through my iTunes, my “favorites” started to get a little ridiculous, but I couldn’t eliminate those three.

3. I can only remember a few for some reason and i also only feel like listing the ones I really love so i took some out that i do really enjoy but don’t search for all the time (like Piya o re piya- tere naal Love ho gaya, hookah bar, raabta- agent Vinod, bheegi si- raajneeti)

Sajda- my name is khan

Jee le zara- talaash (LOVE this one)

Dil dhadakne do- zindagi Na milegi dobara

Tumhi ho bandhu- cocktail

Dope shope

Tum hi ho

Meherbaan- bang bang

Bulleya- ae Dil hai mushkil (love this one)

I think I’m forgetting so many but I’m too lazy to go through a list so this is just off the top of my head!

If you asked for 2000 to 2010 though I’d have a huge list!

• I can’t decide if it is just my prejudice or if things really are getting worse, but on all of these lists I had so many more favorite movies-songs-whatever at the start of the decade versus the end. So I am right there with you on the 2000-2010 list being ridiculous.

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 4:41 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Great list! I love Alvida, Dhadaam Dhadaam, and Train Song the best. They all immediately conjure up amazing moods and images from their respective films.

By the way: New Year’s Resolution #11 is to get back into Bollywood films and comment again on DCIB more!

• Forget the first 10 resolutions, just focus on #11! It’s the most important.

And yaaaay! Another lover of train song and Dhadaam Dhadaam! Those were such surprising songs to me, standing out in already great soundtracks, but I just don’t really hear them talked about. I even saw Neeti Mohan live and I was SURE she was going to sing “Dhadaam Dhadaam”, but no. Apparently only you and I care about it.

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 7:29 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It is great, right? Check out my “rap Hindi Film 101” post for more options.

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 2:09 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Oh I missed this post. Thanks for putting them all together on the main page.
    My fav songs Hindi:
    Rockstar – Kun Faya Kun
    Laila Majnu – Hafiz Hafiz
    Namaste England – Proper Patola
    Anarkali of Arah – Mora Piya Matlab Ka Yaar
    Mirzya – Aave Re Hitchki
    Tanu Weds Manu Returns – Mat Ja Re
    Sanam Teri Kasam – Tera Chehra
    Dawat-e-ishq – Mannat
    JHMS – Jee Ve Sohaneya

No Hindi:
    Katyar Kaljat Ghusali – Aruni Kirani
    Joseph – Poomuthole
    Kali – Chilu Ranthal
    Premam – Malare (of course)
    Geetha Govindam – Inkem Inkem Inkem Kaavaale
    Padi Padi Leche Manasu
    Ninnu Kori – Adiga Adiga
    Adam Joan – Ea Kaattu
    Maayaanadhi – Mizhiyil
    Kanna Nee Thoongadaa – Baahubali 2

6. I’m have a hard time with the Alvida video from D-Day. It is well done, emotional, and beautiful, and it feels like a snuff video that certain people will get off on. I haven’t seen the film, but I read its plot on wikipedia to try and figure out what was going on. I keep wondering where does the responsibility of film makers lie. Is it their fault that a piece meant to show the horrors of violence can be used by the violent as a how-to or a fantasy fullfillment. And why does this video of a woman being beaten to death bother me so much more than two men beating the crap out of each other? Perhaps it is because of the realism. Most Hindi film fight scenes are so over the top it is almost like watching a choreographed dance, this felt more like a choreographed death. My stomach churns as I watch it, and yet I recognize its artistic merits.

• Wow, I hadn’t thought about that with the Alvida video before! Maybe I am blind to the implications, or maybe it was because I saw it in context? It is such a specific beautiful character moment, Arjun has presented himself over and over again as a man who avoids connections, he came to town just a few days ago and paid a down on her luck prostitute to rent him a room so he could hide in the red light district. And only now, as he comes home to find the woman dead, and follows the evidence of her horrible death, does he let himself acknowledge that he feels human emotions and his actions have the ability to reverberate and hurt others people. It’s kind of against violence, he is a man who doles out violence to others as his job, and now following the evidence of exactly what happened to this woman he only now understands that he loves, he sees the violence that controls his life in a different way. And it’s also this beautiful “good-bye” to the woman, he is not turning away from what happened to her, he is forcing himself to relive every minute so that he will remember her life start to finish.

It’s a spy/assassin movie, but a very intelligent one. All of our central characters (Arjun, Irrfan, Huma Qureshi) cross lines and lose part of their humanity on the mission. None of the violence in this particular film is thoughtless or without consequences. Your stomach is churning through out the film, this song is just the most perfect artistic moment when they captured that feeling.

Good news is, this movie got a lot of critical acclaim but almost no commercial attention, no one remembers it, so I doubt many people are watching the “Alvida” song video unless they are one of the few folks like me and some others here who really loved the film as a whole.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 12:05 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

7. 1. Yaadon Mein, jhms
    2. Hawayein, jhms

The rest of these might change order on a daily basis-
    3. Channa Meriya, adhm
    4. Bulleya, adhm
    5. Nashe Si Chadha Gayi, Befikre
    6. Je T’aime, Befikre
    7. London Thamakda, Queen
    8. Naachde Na Saare, Baar baar dekho
    9. Agar Tum Saath Ho, Tamaasha
    10. Dheere Dheere Se Meri Zindagi, yo yo honey Singh (video with hrithik & sonam – why haven’t they been paired together yet in a movie?)
    11. Tera yaar hoon mein, sktks
    25. First class, kalank
    26. Aankh Marey, Simmba
    27. Tere Bin, Simmba
    28. Mera Wala Dance, Simmba
    29. Khaabon ke parinday, ZNMD
    30. Senorita, ZNMD

Soundtracks of jhms, adhm, k&s, queen., music teacher, baar baar dekho, sktks, kalank, simmba, znmd

• First, go to sleep! I was up before dawn to make a flight, but that means it is like 2-3am your time and you shouldn’t be up that late!

Second, this is a really good list! I may need to steal it for a playlist. I agree with everything except that I would put Hawayein first.