Worst Ranbir Kapoor Film of the 2010s, Poll Post

Seems like, along with being an unofficial SRK fansite, we have also become an unofficial Akshay Kumar/Ranbir Kapoor anti-fan site. And I’m kind of okay with that, whatever makes us happy. Anyway, to go along with the “worst Akshay film of the 2010s”, we must also consider “worst Ranbir film of the 2010s”.

Besharam

The first movie that made people go “wait, is it possible Ranbir Kapoor is just….bad at things?” Ranbir and his parents co-star for the first time, Rishi Kapoor spends much of the film yelling out of a toilet (because that’s funny), Ranbir 100% no other explanation stalks his love interest, and also steals her car, and she still falls in love with him. And there is soooooooo much scatological humor. But is it worse than Sanju?

Image result for besharam
This poster is accurate

PK

Ranbir just has a cameo in this, but it was so heavily promoted, I am still including it. Aamir Khan plays an alien who comes to earth and tries to understand religion. No no, it is MORE heavy handed than you think from that description. But is it worse than Sanju?

Related image
This still is accurate

Bombay Velvet

Imagine Scorcese and Anurag Kashyap had a baby, dressed it up to look like Ranbir, taught it to hit women, and then put Karan Johar in a yellow suit next to the baby making faces. It’s less logical and more nightmarish than that. The experience of watching this film is constantly slapping yourself in the face to try to wake up and get out of there. But is it worse than Sanju?

Image result for bombay velvet
This looks better than it is

Tamasha

You know who suffers the most in all the world? Wealthy young men at the top of their society. They are so UNFULFILLED, so LONELY, so crushed with the weight of their food, shelter, and civil rights. But is it worse than Sanju?

Related image
this looks more interesting than it is

Jagga Jasoos

Do you want to see a 32 year old man play a 17 year old boy crushing on a 25 year old woman? This is the movie for you! But is it worse than Sanju?

Image result for jagga jasoos
The entire movie is this self-satisfied with itself

Sanju

Bad Make-Up and Self-Pity: The Movie. Is it the worst of all?

Image result for sanju ranbir kapoor
The ACTING!!!! Through wigs, like all the great ones do it.

Obviously, my pick is Sanju. What’s yours?

27 thoughts on “Worst Ranbir Kapoor Film of the 2010s, Poll Post

1. I love PK; Ranbir’s cameo is probably closest to his actual personality. So not worst.

You left out yeh jawaani hai deewani, which I hate, except for the 3-4 really really good songs. Of course i can only listen and not watch the videos so as to avoid his stupid face.

• I think 20 minutes of Sanju is about 19 minutes more than anyone needs to see.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 10:11 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Where is Rockstar? 3 hours long story about a guy who was so stupid he wasn’t able to do one thing right and in the end killed his girlfriend because he could keep it in his pants. And we are supposed to sympathize with him!

• I was trying to be so fair! I only included the truly totally bad ones. Rockstar would have been my pick, but I didn’t want to force that on to anyone else. And now look, in the comments you all have already brought up both Rockstar and YJHD!

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 1:32 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Sanju is the only one I’ve seen out of these, but it would get my vote no matter what. The thing is not just that it is a bad movie, but Ranbir brings nothing to the character. He mimicks Sanjay’s mannerisms well, but any actor could do that. There is no internet depth.

Imagine a great actor like Jim Sarbh or Irrfhan or even a general purpose good tragedy actor like Govinda or Anil Kapoor playing the character, I might have believed in the film’s thesis for its duration.

The only good thing about it is that it gives me deep Sunil Dutt fangirl feelings.

• And of course Ranbir was surrounded by Jim Sarbh and Vicky Kaushal who both took underwritten characters and brought something there that made them feel 3 dimensional. Meanwhile here’s Ranbir, mugging for the camera like he’s in a cartoon. UGH!

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 3:25 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Exactly. Even the guy who played Sunil Dutt was better. And also, I think Ranbir didn’t really do justice to actual Sanjay either, because even though Sanjay is repulsive, he does have a kind of animalistic charm on camera, and that did not come across AT ALL. Although I do think he got the repulsive side across pretty well, probably accidentally.

• Let me introduce you to the Massive Intense Emotional summary of Sanjay Dutt’s life that I wrote in honor of this movie: https://dontcallitbollywood.com/2019/07/29/happy-birthday-sanjay-dutt-here-is-an-index-of-my-series-on-you-some-of-the-best-writing-i-have-ever-done/

Biggest thing that Sanju cut, because it was way WAY too complex for this stupid film, Sanjay’s first wife was diagnosed with a brain tumor shortly after their daughter was born. She moved back in with her parents in New York for treatment, with her daughter, Sanjay spent years traveling back and forth in order to maintain a relationship with his daughter, during this time he also started a relationship with Madhuri in Bombay (which was wrong, but on the other hand he was stuck in a really horrible situation), after 8 years of treatment his wife finally died, Sanjay never divorced her because she wanted to remain married until death, and he took a break from fighting his court cases to be with her when she died. Also, during this whole time through his wife’s illness, the falling apart of their marriage, his court cases, and so on, he continued to be a regular presence in his daughter’s life, doing crazy turn around trips to spend a few hours with her in New York, putting up with the (justified) abuse and hatred from his in-laws, and in the middle of fighting his court cases to stay out of jail also fighting a custody battle to ensure he would always have the right to see her. Culminating in him winning custody, and then giving it up for the sake of his daughter’s happiness and letting her stay with her grandparents.

That’s an interesting person! Right? Human enough to take comfort with a new love when his wife was dying, but strong enough to do whatever it took to stay in his daughter’s life. And along the same lines, when his second marriage was falling apart, his wife got pregnant by another man before their official separation, and he stayed married to her and paying her bills to the point of his money paying for her baby supplies and to decorate her new house with the father of her baby. Years later when her new lover turned abusive, Sanjay helped her pay medical bills and set up a new household for herself and her daughter.

And instead, Ranbir played him as some kind of funny man-child. UGH!!!! A big part of the reason I think Sanju is the worst of all of these is because it took a really valuable story of redemption and struggle and humanity and made it into a joke.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 9:02 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes, I’ve read it, I thought you did a good job summing him up. I have a more negative view of him because I know him basically from my Sunil fangirling.

As a biography, Sanju is a joke. Like you, I can see how you can write a redemptive story about him but weirdly they decided not to do that and ignore that side of him and just decide that the audience should think his bad side was good. But aside from it being a bad movie in every way, I think Ranbir makes it worse.

4. My pick is Bachna Ae Haseeno, I think. It (and Ranbir) made me want to throw things at my TV screen. That for me is RARE
    (I can understand why it’s not on the list though, the women’s performances save it)

5. I always finish watching a movie… always…. and I could not get through Sanju. At the same time, nothing makes me angrier than the ending of Rockstar. Ranbir literally killed Nargis because he could not be bothered to use protection!!! Ugh! Can it be a tie?

• Maybe another post for most frustrating Ranbir movie ending? YJHD’s last minute “and now I am okay staying in one place and settling down!”, Rockstars “sex one time and DEATH”, Tamasha’s “five minutes to become a successful playwrite”.

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 4:07 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. Rockstar by far. I loathe this movie. I hate Tamasha as well. Imtiaz and Ranbir are a disgusting combination for me. It’s like they bring out each other’s manly pain.

There would be ones like Jagaa and Bombay Velvet too but honestly I did not even finish watching those so I have no idea what was really in them.

Out of the ones I saw, nothing can top the awfulness of Rockstar. So heinously boring and pretentious.

7. Watching Sanju made me really angry but on the other hand, I couldn’t even finish watching Besharam because it was that stupid. So I guess it’s a tie for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• I saw Besharam in theaters! Which was better actually, it was me and a few friends and not many other people, so we could giggle at it together.

On Sat, Jan 11, 2020 at 11:23 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote: