I haven’t seen Thappad yet, but from the trailers and cast I think it might be one of those feminist movies that doesn’t include the token hot male feminist. Booooo! I want my hot male feminist! It’s the sexy action film bar dancer equivalent for serious woman’s film social dramas.

Blah blah, male savior issues, critical feminist theory, whatever. These dudes are HOT. And then they start talking about how women should be treated fairly and feel loved and they just get hotter.

Shahrukh in Chak De India

Responsible mentor and coach, only cares about the success of his team and inspiring his players to stand up for themselves. HOT!

Image result for shahrukh chak de india

Aamir Khan in Secret Superstar

Unfortunate facial hair, but surprisingly kind and understanding and non-judgmental to the teenage girl he is mentoring.

Image result for aamir khan superstar

Vikrant Massey in Chhapaak

Haven’t even seen the movie, but it’s Vikrant Massay talking sympathetically with a beard, I think it’s a safe add.

Image result for vikrant massey chhapaak

Shahrukh in Dear Zindagi

The wise therapist all troubled women damaged by the patriarchy deserve.

Image result for shahrukh khan dear zindagi

Aamir Khan in Dangal

Father of 5 girls, trained them as wrestlers and believed in their strength and abilities even more than their own coach.

Image result for aamir khan dangal

Sanjay Dutt in Dushman

Blind commando who trains Kajol to fight back and defend herself against her stalker.

Image result for sanjay dutt dushman

Irrfan Khan in Piku

A man who likes a difficult woman with more money and accomplishments than him.

Image result for irrfan khan piku

Diljit Dosanjh in Phillauri

A drunken singer, who appreciates a woman who writers better poetry than him and works with her to help her succeed.

Image result for diljit dosankh phillauri

Madhavan in Saala Khaadoos

A boxing coach who doesn’t care about being nice or kind or supportive, but will sell his motorcycle to buy equipment for a talented female fighter.

Image result for saala khadoos

Dharmendra in Bandini

A doctor at a woman’s prison, who loves a damaged sinning woman and only sees the good in her.

Image result for dharmendra bandini

Priyansh Jori in Khandaani Shefakhana

Lower class owner of a juice stall who brings tea and encouragement to the girl he likes who is trying to start over as an homeopathic doctor.

Image result for khandaani shafakhana priyansh jori

Okay, let’s do this! Ranking!

Shahrukh in Chak De

Shahrukh in Dear Zindagi

Dharmendra in Bandini

Madhavan in Saala Khadoos

Vikrant Massay in Chhapaak

Sanjay in Dushman

Diljit in Phillauri

Irrfan in Piku

Priyansh Jori in Khandaani Shefakhani

Aamir in Dangal

Aamir in Secret Superstar

Fight me! I’m putting Chak De over DZ and putting Irrfan way way down at the bottom, I KNOW you have opinions on that!

19 thoughts on “Happy Thappad Release Day! Biggest Question, How Do We Rank Feminist Male Supporting Characters By Hotness?

1. Madhavan in Saala Khadoos
    Shahrukh in Dear Zindagi
    Shahrukh in Chak De
    Priyansh Jori in Khandaani Shefakhani
    Irrfan in Piku
    Diljit in Phillauri

I haven’t seen other movies but just judging by photos:
    Dharmendra in Bandini
    Vikrant Massay in Chhapaak
    Sanjay in Dushman
    Aamir in Dangal
    Aamir in Secret Superstar

• I knew you would have opinions! But I’m stunned you put Priyansh Jori so low. I will allow Maddy up top above SRK, Saala Khadoos is pretty much Peak Maddy just like DZ is Peak SRK.

Question, should I have added Tovino in Godha? I just thought of him.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 8:05 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• At first I put Priyansh just under SRK in Dear Zindagi, but later I started thinking how SRK in CDI was more important etc and Priyansh lost his position.

I was thinking about Tovino, but being honest Renji Panicker was the one who supported Wamiqa more. Tovino was there, looking beautiful but he was too undecided and confused to deserve a place on our list. I would add Renji for Godha and Tovino for Luca (he was a happy and supporting presence in heroine’s life).
        Another addition: the guy who plays drums in Aanarkali of Aarah. He didn’t leave Swara in her worst days, was always there for her, and he was also hot.

• Oh yeah, that dude in Anarkali was great! None judgmental, supportive, respectful, everything. What about Tovino in Uyare?

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 8:27 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Haven’t seen Uyare yet, but I heard about Tovino’s role and yes, he should be on the list.

And do you know who also should be here? The guy from Ghawre Bairey Aaj. He is the king of Feminist Male Supporting Characters. Educated, open-minded,intelligent, loving, nice, good lover, forgiving, social-worker. Everytime he opened his mouth he said the right thing. His wife made many mistakes and cheated on him, but he was able to forgive and accept the baby she was expecting. I was absolutely in love with him.

• Awww, he’s cute!

As one of the few other people who watched it, what do you think about Amit Sadh from Running Shaadi? He’s the lead character of the film, but also kind of a feminist supporting others, right?

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 2:03 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. From your list, Darmendra in Bandini, Shahrukh in Dear Zindagi, and Shahrukh in Chak De are tied for top three.

But I am going to add two more really weird ones so bear with me, Farhan in DDD (I don’t care that he is overly cheesy feminist male, I had the biggest crush on him in that movie!!) and Anil from Humara Dil (blah blah he has a savior complex, I know, but something about him in that movie gives me the feels).

• Anil in Humare? Sorry, unless he has grey hair, I’m just not that into him.

I will grant you Farhan in DDD, and suggest an Anil substitute of Anil in ELKDTAL. Single Dad, loves his daughter and wants her to be happy, stands up to society for her, and has the grey hair.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 8:28 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’ll take both Anils.

The one from Humara Dil Aapke Paas Hai will have a fan on at all times everywhere I go so my hair looks wind kissed at all times. Seriously, did the sets just have a fan on for the entire shoot? Is there ever a scene when Anil’s hair is not gently blowing in the air?

And ELKDTAL Anil will cook delicious food for me. Done and done!

• And you can easily knock Humare Aish out of the picture, she’s lame, and keep Juhi around to be your new best friend!

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 8:53 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes, you should definitely watch Phillauri. I won’t guarantee that you will love it, but I think I can safely say that you won’t hate it. And Diljit might just hit your sweet spot in this one.

You do need help! No one should be attracted to Secret Superstar Aamir! Even Aamir isn’t attracted to Secret Superstar Aamir! I shudder to think about your reaction to Delhi Belly Aamir.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:59 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. I haven’t seen most of the movies in that list. So only 3 in my list –
    1. SRK in Dear Zindagi – The man clicked for me after so long. He was beautiful as Dr.Khan.
    2. Dharmendra in Bandini – Not gonna lie, I only sat down to watch the movie cause my mom forced me to. But damn! Bimal Roy is a genius.
    3. SRK in Chak De – What do I need to say about this? Tormented, brooding SRK is the best SRK.

• Oh oh! You can join Filmikudhi and me on the “Nutan should have picked Dharmendra” train! Ashok was terrible to her, and not that handsome, and Dharmendra was dreamy and perfect and loving and supportive and all good things. Pick Dharmendra!

Yes to the two SRK choices. He is so good in those internal supporting kind of roles.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 12:37 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. I won’t rank because I haven’t seen most of these movies and also because I have two additions that that will always top my list of “most supportive/feminist male character.”

#1
    Dharmendra in Anupama (1966) – he’s a sensitive poet who loves and supports timid, fearful, lonely Sharmila whose father can’t stand the sight of her because he blames her for the death of his beloved wife during childbirth. I love that Dharmendra refuses to rescue her and instead gives her the gift of agency.

#2
    Swarup Dutta in Uphaar (1971) – young law student who falls in love with the entirely unfeminine, child-woman Jaya Bhaduri who wants to spend her time playing with the village kids and has no interest in learning to be a “proper wife.”

Btw, I disagree with the inclusion of SRK in Dear Zindagi in this list. There was nothing particularly “feminist” about his character, he was just a good therapist.

• Oh man, Anupama sounds great! I should check that out.

Counterpoint for DZ, is it possible that being a good therapist for a young woman is a feminist act? I could certainly see the opposite, a male therapist who is bad at his job when it comes to young women because of internalized patriarchy.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 4:27 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: