You know what DCIB is FABULOUS at during a time of isolation? First, bring you a steady stream of light weight discussion posts to ready while you are pretending to be working. But second, recommending viewing choices to each other!

Okay, there are three categories I want suggestions for!

1.ME! And others like me. Adult women who need something cheerful and interesting to replicate human contact. I am going to finish Hart of Dixie shortly and I need a replacement. What’s a relationship based drama with bright colors and interesting locations?

Image result for made in heaven
Like Made in Heaven, but not Made in Heaven, you know?

2. Children! We have some readers who are suddenly going to be overwhelmed with children. What are good movie options for kids from 4 to 14 (I think that is the DCIB child range). Oh, also primarily boys. Huh. You know, in my research for my Masters thesis on non-Indian Indian film fans, I argued that parents tended not to be active in the fan community partly because they had a built in fan community. Maybe the lack of daughters among the DCIB group is because of that? If you have daughters, you don’t have to go online to find someone to talk to about Shahrukh? Anyway, what’s a fun child appropriate movie that isn’t too girly?

Image result for singham
I will always recommend Singham

3. My Dad! This isn’t a sickness thing, my Mom is out of town with my uncle indefinitely and my father is running out of movies to watch. Last night he watched the first 30 minutes of Amar Akbar Anthony just to see all the walls come down. What movie would you recommend to a 60-something man to watch while his wife who doesn’t like violence or sports is out of town? Indian or non-Indian?

Image result for terminator
Think Terminator, but not Terminator because he watched that 25 years ago while Mom and my sister and I were visiting my grandparents for a week and he had the house to himself.

Okay? We all clear on the categories? Now, GO! Recommend away!!!!!! Especially for me, I’ve only got like 5 more hours of Hart of Dixie left and then I will be bereft.

88 thoughts on “Let’s Recommend Isolation Viewing To Each Other! For Women, For Children, and For Others!

• Murder She Wrote is AMAZING!!!!

I have not done Death in Paradise, but maybe now I will finally be inspired. The rest of my family loves it, somehow it just didn’t click for me. I could also try rewatching Midsommer Murders again.

Oh, and I think there is a decent change you might enjoy Hart of Dixie too.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 8:22 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Hart of Dixie has almost no medical stuff. In fact, it’s kind of a running joke that our heroine is a doctor and yet never seems to do any work.

Here is perhaps the most over the top moment of the show, but it gives you a sense of the vibe. Two ancillary characters went through a break up, and now the woman’s club and the men’s club are preparing for dueling musical nights in their small town (that has a limitless supply of costumes)

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 8:32 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• For medical stuff how about Royal Pains? I really liked it – nice sceneries and houses, some medical stuff but not too heavy, nice good looking people.

• Ooo, that reminds me of the whole USA network group! Royal Pains, White Collar, Burn Notice, Suits. All happy short summer filler shows.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 9:17 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• White Collar!!! Matt Bomer is SO SO SO pretty! I loved his chemistry with Hilary Burton so much! Plus this is a great show for you to recast and draft your awesome fan fics.

• Oh yeah! I watched like the first half season of that and then stopped.

And Hilarie Burton might inspire me to swing over to One Tree Hill and finally finish that off. That’s a good 9 seasons of sunshine and drama!

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 1:15 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I have finished OTH but really did not enjoy the last season after Hilary left. Moral of the story: shows are good as long as she is in them.

• Oh shoot! I think that was the point at which I stopped. Maybe it’s time for White collar after all.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 1:56 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

1. For your dad (hoping he hasn’t already seen these, as they are older):
    Tiger Zinda Hai, Robot & Robot 2, Pokiri (original of Wanted), Okkadu (another Mahesh Babu film), Varsham, Eeshwar (Prabhas’ first), or, if that’s not findable, Raghavendra (Prabhas’ second), Chatrapathi; some of Salman’s older films — Veergati, Tumko Na Bhool Payenge, Garv — all action films, yes, but with a serious social message. Except for TZH and the Robot films, I would look at Youtube first to find the films, and many times they even come with English subtitles. :),

As for you, I recommend a course of 1950’s – 1960’s Telugu folkloric/fantasy/puranic films, all starring NTR, but they will be entertaining and non-threatening. Patala Bhairavi, Gulebakavali Katha, Jagadeka Veeruni Katha (all folkloric/fantasy); then the Mahabharata based films Pandava Vanavasam, Narthana Sala, Sri Krishna Pandaveeyam (in that order); not from the Mahabharata, and also based on a popular stage play, Sri Krishna Tulabharam. Most of these are available with subtitles somewhere (Cinema Chaat has reviewed them); and finally, one film that is considered the all-time great of Telugu cinema, Malliswari. This last you might find very difficult, even impossible, to find now, and certainly not with subtitles. But it’s very well worth the effort to find it, and it will give you something to actively use your energies on, and not just passively watch all the other films. 🙂 For the rest of the Telugu films as above, start with Youtube first.

For children: everything I’ve recommended above for you can be safely watched by children of all ages.

(BTW, if you’re wondering why I’ve suddenly started commenting again, it’s because I’ve been in something of a “lock down” myself for several weeks, due to a leg injury. Nor being able to go anywhere, not even walk around the house to do necessary chores, has left me with nothing to do but “socialize” with my computer.)

• Thanks! And I wondered why you had suddenly been popping up so much! Blech, leg injury sounds like the worst since you really REALLY can’t do anything. I’m supposed to have toe surgery soon and I anticipate having the same kind of life and HATING it.

I think my Dad is trying to avoid serious social message, so not sure how many of those movies he would like. Robot maybe.

I doubt I will be thinking strongly enough for classic Telugu! But sounds like if I want to try one, Malliswari would be it.

I would be very curious about anyone who tries the classic Telugu on their kids. I know subtitles are an issue (some of the DCIB children are pre-reading, or just new to it and struggling), but the classic Telugu stuff has so many great visuals, maybe it will compensate.

• The “deep social message” applies only to the three older films of Salman’s. And even they are not “in your face” about it. I’d tell him to skip Veergati then, but watch the other two, as they’re just good action films if you don’t think about them too much, but they are violent.

Why do you need “strong thinking” for the Telugu films? They are all highly entertaining, which is why I recommended them. You enjoyed Maya Bazaar, right? That’s the level of thinking you need.

I was going to say “good luck finding Malleswari”, but actually I just found it on Youtube!! Alas, no subtitles, though. I’m giving the link to the one that is about five minutes longer, in the hope that it would be closer to the original, though that may be because they showed most of the credit sequence. This is definitely one where you’d better read the synopsis on Wiki before watching, and of course, I and Yjbasu are here to help you fill in any blanks. 🙂

2. I just binged on the first season of Broadchurch. It’s a British detective story but much more like a movie. It is so absorbing you forget the crazy world even though it’s about murder. Grand Chester is another great British show and it has a very dishy leading man!

3. For adults –

Midsomer Murders – Murder mysteries in the vein of Agatha Christie set against the backdrop of picturesque English countryside. There are over 20 seasons! A lot of stuff to watch right there. Even though investigating a murder is the centerpiece but things never get too dark and there’s a lot of British style dry comedy.

In the same vein, Vera – another British murder mystery. The lead is the brilliant Brenda Blethyn, an older female Inspector solving crimes in the windy and sometimes bleak Northern part of England. There’s some fantastic seaside scenery and the mystery is usually well-done. The tone is darker though.

Lucifer – It’s a tv show about Lucifer who left Hell and is now running a hip club in LA. He runs into a no-nonsense police detective and out of boredom & curiosity decides to help her investigate crimes. Mostly he makes a nuisance of himself and takes his clothes off a lot. Tom Ellis is just delish as Lucifer with some very watchable size characters. Lauren German, the female lead is just as good. It’s stylish, sexy, funny with a surprising amount of heart. Here’s Lucifer driving Chloe mad.

For Children – The Disney and Pixar movies are always great, aren’t they?

For everyone – Wonder Woman.(one of my fav movies ever).

• Love all of these!

I’ve dipped my toe into Vera off and on, but haven’t tried Lucifer, somehow I thought it was dark? But sounds like, No! Maybe I should check it out.

I think I have missed some Pixar/Disney movies, perhaps now is the time to catch up on Moana? And I have to confess, I haven’t seen Wonder Woman at all 😦

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 9:45 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• OMG, you have to watch Wonder Woman. The movie stands on it’s own and there’s no need to watch the other DC movies to get it. It’s the first blockbuster/comic book movie to have been directed by a woman. But leaving aside it’s cultural significance, it’s just good fun. There’s a lot of good quality action and the romance is some of most heartbreaking stuff I’ve ever seen. Chris Pine is so fine!

Lucifer has it’s dark moments but the feel is light. Heaven and hell and daddy issues are all there but it never gets dreary or miserable.

4. For adults, these can be found of Netlfix (at least in the Nordic countries and most likely Europe, don’t know if they are in America)

Reign – Mary Queen of Scots story set in soap opera style with pretty dresses and politics and love, very enjoyable for how much non-historical it is on certain aspects and then very historical on others

Once Upon A Time – Disney’s modern au

The Witcher – Xena warrior princess style fantasy with dark elements, but good enough light and well written and enjoyable characters to balance it out. Also Toss A Coin to your Witcher is one hell of a song!

Anywhere in Europe (not America) then Ghibli all the way!

Netflix’s Guilty, Ghoul (this is a fantastic miniseries) and Delhi Crime, all Indian. Very dark, but good writing and I might have binged them all in one go.

Bonfire of Destiny (Le Bazar de la Charite) – French miniseries about a real incident in 1890s Paris with slightly fictionalized Downton Abbey style stories with three women, a bit scary at the beginning in the first episode and a bit after, but has a very light colour palette, also very, very binge-worthy with a lot of romance

Alta Mar – Spanish ship going to Rio De Janeiro stops as mysteries, bodies and secrets come up upon the boat

Grand Hotel – a maid in the hotel goes missing as her brother comes to find what happened to her, full of romance, cute Spaniards and enjoyable to watch. A Spanish telenovela mystery series.

Might add some more should I remember something else good.

• Oh man, my only challenge is deciding which of these I want to watch FIRST!!!!

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 10:21 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. I just watched Malaal last night on Netflix. As a movie it’s pretty bad, but as a romance it’s absorbing and engrossing. Plus javed jaffrey’s son is very ARK-like. Bonus – he looks 10 times hotter in the one scene where he has rain-soaked hair.

For the feminists who want to see a movie like Thappad about entrenched patriarchy but much more “show don’t tell”, along with a good central female lead performance, and also for the men who like a thriller (and won’t be offended by the feminism because they completely won’t recognize it as such), try Helen, on Amazon prime, a malayalam film.

For the young adults, definitely To all the boys I’ve loved before, and even more interestingly, it’s sequel, ps i still love you, a very interesting take on the classic love triangle.

For the dads and the politically inclined, Panipat on Netflix (not quite a recommendation though) and the Hillary docuseries on Hulu.

Liked by 2 people

• I also liked Guilty on Netflix. Not perfect as a film, but very thorough, well thought out, and multi-angled as a social message movie. It feels like a cross between a Kanishka Dhillon film (she cowrote the screenplay, rebels without a clue ala manmarziyaan) and an Anubhav Sinha film (very current relevant social message topic, lots of “tell don’t show”, yet still with hidden Easter eggs of “show”). I feel like it’s a must-see film for its messaging. And if you want bright colors and and pretty costumes, this is the “bright lights, big city” darker stylized version of it.

• Kanishka Dhillon meets Anubhav Sinha is the perfect way to describe Guilty. I knew I’d love Thappad and I did but I was surprised as how much I liked Guilty. I am maybe in the minority but I especially liked Anushka Ranjan and how she was portrayed in it.

Margaret, this is also a perfect movie to review for bad girls month! There are multiple “bad girls” in it.

• All of this is too dark for me! But then, I am a weakling who only likes light stuff, so I am sure others here will love them.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 11:53 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh boy the Hillary 4 part is amazing and also stabs you in the heart. She’s tried so hard, she’s so misunderstood and a true victim of inherent biases toward women. I found it painful but also needed. I will always love her.

6. My 8 YO will not watch Disney or Pixar at all. Partially because I set it up that way not exposing him to the relatively dark themes (why so many dead parents? I get that it’s the catalyst for self-discovery yada yada yada but for kids???), also his preschool was a super crunchy progressive ‘no characters’ place – kids could not wear or carry a bag with a character on it, but he’s also very sensitive about not just violence but emotional pain of characters. I assume it’s some combo of all this, and his kind disposition, plus being adopted, I think there’s always a nugget of ‘loss’ for him. Sigh. Tried to watch cars and when [Spoilers lol] lightning slides out the back and is lost, he cried. At least it opens the conversation so we can talk about it with him but he doesn’t want to continue watching.

Anywho (that was a load off!) the slapstick comedy of HNY is hilarious to him. Other movies I’ve had to start and stop because they were too much. OSO should basically work because of the similar Farah-style shtick but the fire and the ghost are a no go. So I feel a little stuck! Also Rohit movies are generally more violent than he likes. So we’ve watched parts of Dilwale and parts of Chennai Express. He’s a complicated fellow but loves Shah Rukh as much as I do. In a different way, I think but only time will tell! He wants to be friends w AbRam.

Anyway on the subject of wth to watch while trapped at home, I’m a huge fan of light airy loving families and family-esqu groups. If you haven’t seen the new One Day at a Time on Netflix (new season 4 coming this week on Pop TV) I highly recommend it. It’s NORMAN LEAR folks, the greatest TV showrunner of all time. Think Maude or All in the Family but for our current political climate. Gently subversive, diverse, everything good! And yesterday I mentioned Fuller House which is really bad tv but to me so enjoyable and broad.

• I suggest Chillar Party for your son. The entire story is about kids, they solve their problem in a kid appropriate but still meaningful way, and has a lot of kiddie humor (I mean the kind adults might find silly, but kids think is hilarious). The film also won the National Award for “wholesome entertainment.” The only possible thing I can think of is that there is an orphaned street kid in the film. But then the focus of the film is how to help him. It’s also very heartwarming for adults.

• He is such a complicated little guy! I kind of want to hang out with him now. Hmm. Light light light and no emotional pain? Have you tried Dil To Pagal Hai? Or heck, maybe it’s time to branch out to straight rom-coms! Daawat-E-Ishq, Ohm Shaanti Oshana? All the angst is a teenage girl being in love, surely that won’t be too upsetting? Raja Hindustani?

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 12:04 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• So funny I have DTPH in the DVD player right now. I think I’m gonna try that later today! And pls come visit M once this crazy has passed. Still on track for Nov event. Finishing a great sponsorship package while I’m home!

• I will totally visit! Especially in November, no Christmas crazy starting up yet, and the summer house weekends period is over.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 2:10 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• First, I just want to say, my husband and I LOVE One Day at a Time! I cannot wait to introduce it to my kids one day!

Would he like Andaz Apna Apna? It is pretty silly but not sure if it is too old for him.

• I completely understand you child because mine is the same, Rachel! My son is 4 and he feels so emotionally wrought even when there is a hint of strife that it’s been impossible to get him to watch any of the classics I assumed he’d love. No Lion King because Scar does what to Simbas dad?!? Not even Toy Story because of a few intense parts. Sigh!! Your son may be way too old for the things we have success with, but the movie Up seemed ok for him and Little Einstein’s is a show on Disney plus that he likes but definitely is more of a 4-5 yo show.

Liked by 2 people

• That was me! I had to watch 95% of The Little Mermaid from the hallway through the window in the door at the movie theater. TOO SCARY! And everyone in pre-school was talking about it and I was thinking how everyone else was so much braver than me and faking that I’d actually watched it.

• Hey Nina, I really appreciate the suggestions so much. I believe this is a superpower that they have…these are the ones who will understand the world from a deeper perspective. I’ve had various people tell me he vibrates at a higher level, like a healer or leader. At the same time he is outside in the backyard shooting nerf darts, so there’s that.

He actually gravitates toward shows that are young like curious george which I find endearing. He’s also a big fan of LEGO and Playmobil so he watches people build and also do stop motion animation which is super fun. Perhaps you might give those a try too!

Now if we could find another movie like HNY that has the same kind of humor!

• Oh oh! Time for me to recommend “Pick of the Litter” to people again! Warm, happy, and I think your son will enjoy it. It also has some “process” stuff.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 2:31 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

7. Hey I do want to say thank you DCIB for being a virtual place I can come and talk about silly stuff and adult crushes and all that jazz in addition to sharing my love of filmi life.

8. Another great British show is Gavin and Stacey. James Corben wrote it and plays the best friend in one the best portrayals ever. It is GREAT.==Mpollak711

• YES! HBO Max for the WIN! Also, this is totally the time I should do my “one month trial”, right? I’ve been saving it for when I could really really binge.

On the other hand, for the more sensitive child, I will say that My Neighbor Totoro was just barely not too scarey for me (their Mom is sick! And the sister’s fight! It’s EXTREMELY UPSETTING), and I have been afraid to watch any other Ghibli films since then.

This is reminding me of when I was working at the movie theater and we were playing Where the Wild Things Are and warning parents about it. “It’s a little scarey” “Like monsters?” “No, like divorce”.

• I think you’re right that the films can be scary but what I absolutely love about them is they portray little girls who are smart and resourceful and solving big problems through sheer ingenuity and grit. And yet they are still very recognizably little girls, not the creepy simulacrums of childhood you often see on television. I think you have to gauge if your kid can handle the films but also point out all the ways the girls problem solve and rise to the occasion. That’s the heart of all of Miyazaki’s films.

9. I love this post!

For your Dad:
    If he’s into Tarantino, Pulp Fiction is on Netflix and always a good rewatch. What about Dhoom 3 (I think it’s 3, the Aamir one) Speaking of Christopher Nolan whom they ripped off, Inception and Memento are excellent and gritty. I also binged season one of Broadchurch. I’d reco this to you too Margaret! Finally, I just rented Parasite on Prime and it’s awesome! It’s Gory, so a good watch without mom.

Fun romantic romps… I am enjoying rewatching Bridget Jones Diary on Hulu. It’s a little cringey post metoo but still so much fun!! I also plan to rewatch The Lunchbox with Irfan Khan. If you like to watch bad hallmark movies, Netflix has the Christmas Prince or something and some sequels which are cheesy to the max but light and fun. Also La La Land is always fun to revisit.

I’m also looking forward to whatever Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn Project runway replacement show will be on by end of month on Prime.

Hindi movie wise, I’m super into vintage Hindi movies right now. Just finished Awara and Shree 420 and read your post afterwards, which was excellent. Next up I wanna see Andaz (Raj K, Nargis, Dilip K), and Half Ticket (Kishore Kumar and Madhubala)

• I love Broadchurch! If only I hadn’t already watched it 🙂 But I will pass on your ideas to Dad.

Maybe this is time for me to see Lunchbox finally?

Andaz is SO GOOD!!!!! And so interesting for Bad Girls month.

10. Has anyone here watched the movie ‘Sir’ (2018, with Tilottama Shome) and/or ‘Crash Landing on You’? Been hearing good things about them, planning to watch.
    If you’re up for it, Family Man on Prime is a pretty good espionage thriller mixed with family drama. The entire cast is excellent, I really liked Priyamani, who I know is a famous South Indian actress, but I’d only seen her in 1 2 3 4 in Chennai Express.
    Having recently gotten into Turkish dramas, I’d recommend Dolunay (Youtube). Heroine, her sister and friend are trying to study, work and make money in the big city. They get pulled into the circle of rich hero’s family and friends and their rivalries. Romance, jealousy, sex, murder, fake marriage, comedy, all there. I loved the heroine and could identify a lot with the issues she was dealing with.

• Yes! MKP is watching Crash Landing on You and loves it. So that’s a good recommendation.

Might be the time to check out Turkish dramas, since I have all this time on my hands suddenly.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 12:55 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It was in cinemas in Europe and now is supposed to be released in indian cinemas too, that’s why you can’t find it in internet.

• If anyone’s interested, there are a few Hindi film related podcasts I regularly listen to. They are mostly done by diaspora desis, except one, and sometimes have Indian and non-Indian guests. They have that balance of love, appreciation, fun and critique of the movies and actors that I miss in the movie discourse actually coming out of India. My favorite is Khandaan podcast – they discuss one movie of the Khan trio each episode. Each of the three hosts have strong, distinct personalities and it’s hilarious when they come together. Others are Moviewala podcast, Khabardaar podcast and Bollywood is for Lovers (hosted by white Canadians).

• She’s looks to be having fun and gracefully pulls off those jerky, silly moves right? I’m always amazed by people who can do that, takes skill. And just saw that she’s won a National Award in 2007, so I want to check out her work now!

• I saw Sir at the Chicago South Asian Film Festival and I LOVED IT! I’ve been eagerly awaiting for it to be on streaming so I can watch it again. Hopefully soon. I also really enjoyed Crash Landing On You. I’ve been on a Kdrama kick.

• Finally,I find someone who watched Crash Landing On You. How dreamy is it! I am in love with the actors and chasing up all their past movies & series.

11. For the kids, especially boys – A Flying Jatt Preteen girls will also appreciate Tiger.
    For a dad – The Ghazi Attack Rana and Kay Kay Menon! Uniforms!
    For you – The Good Karma Hospital, a series set in an Indian hospital, run by a cantankerous British woman. It’s on Acorn TV and available on Amazon Prime.

• There are supposed to be periods between A Flying Jatt and preteen girls. Prerteen girls will have enough proiblems with periods eventually. Also between A Ghazi Attack and Rana and Kay Kay Menon. I don’t believe that the sequel, “Ghazi Attacks Rana,” has yet been made.

• Ha! I would totally watch “Ghazi Attacks Rana”, especially if the “attack” resulted in a torn uniform on Rana.

On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 2:49 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

12. The Malayalam film VIRUS is playing an Amazon Prime, and it’s actually kind of inspiring = based on true events of the Nipah virus outbreak in Kerala, and the heroic health care workers and government officials. (Nipah is up to 75% death rate, so much more deadly than COVID19)

I have been on a Kdrama kick lately, and they have some great lighter series — that have like 16 or 24 episodes and finish a story, which is really nice.

Oh My Ghost (Netflix) was my first Kdrama and remains my favorite (Netflix) Young virgin feisty ghost possesses a very shy restaurant worker — with a very HOT chef!

Crash Landing On You (Netflix) Spoiled rich fashion company CEO woman is swept by a sudden tornado into North Korea while hang gliding! She’s hidden by a stern North Korean army captain. It’s pretty darn adorable.

What’s Wrong With Secretary Kim — it’s on Viki, I think you can watch it with ads for free, but I subscribed. Also think it’s on Hulu. Like an extended screwball Rom Com. Obsessive horrible boss is stunned when his dedicated secretary decides to quit. She ties his tie every morning! She can’t QUIT! This is the one where I learned the phrase, “Would you like to come in and have some ramen?” is the equivalent of our Netflix and Chill. LOL

Some of my best of Indian cinemas from last year are streaming:
    Super Deluxe (Netflix)
    Jersey (Amazon Prime)
    Helen (Amazon Prime)
    Jallikattu (Amazon Prime)
    Evaru (Amazon Prime)
    Kumbalangi Nights (Amazon)

• Oh, you are almost tempting me to touch my toe back into K-Dramas! I watched one, years ago, and after those 22 episodes I was kind of done.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 9:02 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

13. My boys and I just saw Tanhaji on einthusan this morning. I felt I had to see it before it disappeared because other AJ movies don’t end up on Netflix or Amazon and I just can’t see them. WE LOVE IT. There was a long section in the middle where the kids wandered to and fro, but the battle scenes! The last battle lasts FOREVER, and it is so beautiful, and stylized, so that when arms are chopped off you don’t think ew gross, but rather, oh cool movie. Kajol’s part was too small, but she was fabulous, she and AJ were very cute. And my kids and I are totally freaked out that 8 year olds get married. The movie did have the flaw of old men pretending they look young. Does a 50-year-old man look 32? No, he looks good for 50, but not that good.

• 8 year old marriages: think of it as “8 year old engagement”. That’s part of the reason there’s a whole name for “first night”, the ceremony happens when you are kids, and then at some point later there’s a second whole thing when you actually get together.

Also, don’t know if this has come up before, but Ajay’s Dad was the top stunt guy for Hindi film back in the 70s and 80s. Thus, Ajay almost always does his own stunts and his movies having AMAZING stunt work.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 12:00 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Feel free to disregard if this is not appropriate for this space, but how is the politics in this film, especially towards Muslims? There has been a lot of talk in Indian media about the problematic aspects, Saif himself has admitted to it. I wonder if foreign viewers even notice these things or care?

• Gonna jump in, I am curious about the answer as well, but let’s keep it to personal reaction. If Genevieve didn’t notice, or did notice something small, I would be interested in that. But any deeper discussion than that might start to violate the “Happy Place” rules.

(I’m being extra aggressive right now because for a lot of us, this is part of a very limited social interaction at the moment and so we need to be extra aware of self-care and positivity)

• I am hyper aware that as I don’t understand Hindi there are large parts of the movie that I miss. I did wonder, as I watched it, if the Muhgals were ALL Muslim, and I DEFINITELY noticed the reference to the saffron scroll, and actually cringed, but as it didn’t come up again I thought maybe it wasn’t a big deal. When it came to Muslim demonization, with subtitles it seemed the hatred was more for invaders rather than a different religion. But even knowing that the invader was at least majority Muslim I did think maybe this wasn’t the best time for the movie to come out. But then I assumed the movie was written and most of it was filmed before Citizenship Amendment Act was passed. Also, keep in mind, I cannot remove my Western perspectives when I watch. So me and the kids totally sympathized with Saif when his love rejected him NOT because she didn’t love him, but because his mother didn’t have the right blood line. If she didn’t like him, cool, but bringing up that his mom was low caste or something, oh we had no problem watching that @#$#@ go down. Again we could only read subtitles, we could have missed something.

So basically I would say this foreign viewer doesn’t notice, and because so much of what I see is so foreign to me, when I do notice I am slow to judge. But yes, I do care. I don’t want to watch propaganda.

• Okay, quick comment and then I am shutting this discussion down.

The “invader” narrative is super problematic. no “India” existed at this time, as recently as 10 years ago the Mughals were not considered invaders, but rather just another group of the rich tapestry of Indian history. This movie is telling the story of two groups of people that are now equal parts of modern India having a battle at a time in the past.

Now, no more comments on this topic or related topics.

14. For your dad, thinking of more recent stuff he might not have seen. Does he like a hero? Not all darkness? Any of the Daniel Craig James Bond movies are great. Fast and Furious have those Die Hard-style buddy comedy moments that a lot of the new films leave out. I found John Wick just OK but it’s satisfying enough to pass the time. Baby Driver was good, points for most original script. The new Bladerunner is dark but ends on a redemptive note, and Harrison Ford’s character is back for part of it.

For you, series possibility: I’m liking Gentefied on Netflix. It’s in the same super woke streaming show category as Four Weddings and a Funeral, but less romance, more family sitcom. A Chicano family in LA tries to help the grandfather hold on to his small restaurant as the neighborhood around them changes. Three cousins who love each other and fight all the time, one a trained chef who gets picked on for not being authentic, an artist whose mom accepts her girlfriend but not her lack of income, and the local guy who stuck with grandpa but also never really grew up, now trying to prove himself to his lost love. And the grandpa is great. Anyway, for your consideration.

I just watched Lakshya with the boys. Probably should have vetted it more, it’s definitely the most realistic war movie I’ve shown to the 6-year-old. He was into it though, even complained when I turned it off after two hours to send him outside to play. That dependable war movie plot structure totally hooked them, underdog band overcoming defeat, one more impossible battle against all odds…

• First, don’t let your kids finish Lakshya!!!!! The final fight sequence is just death, everywhere. Watch it yourself, and then you can fastforward judiciously and bring them to the happy ending.

I’ve been thinking about Gentefied, Netflix keeps pushing it on me. And forget Dad, I love The Fast and the Furious movies! So dumb, so fun, so full of heart.

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 11:59 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I did finish it with them on Sunday. That was my oops, should have done more research! They did OK, but the young one decided he doesn’t want to be a soldier.