3 of these movies have classic strong mother roles for Mother’s Day….and one does not, but I really love it. Which one shall we choose?

A Gentleman (for purchase on googleplay and youtube)

My favorite movie of 2017 (or 2016? Whichever year it came out, it was my favorite, is the point). Clever, fun, bright, great songs, Sid M. just oozing charm, it’s irresistible. And there is a small mother role at least, the heroine’s mother who is humorously completely marriage focused. You do have to pay for it, it’s not just streaming for free, but it’s only like $2 to rent! And it’s SO GOOD!

Duplicate (Netflix)

This is not good. No sane person should enjoy this movie. This movie is crazy. But we have some insane people on DCIB who do actually enjoy it, and there is a random Kajol cameo, and Shahrukh does drag, and Farida Jalal plays a body-builder mother to Shahrukh.

Maine Pyar Kiya (Prime and youtube for free)

So sweet, so Rajshri, so classic. And an amazing Reema Lagoo mother part, so holiday appropriate. Also, ugly costumes and a killer dove.

Happy New Year (Netflix)

I know, no one will agree to this movie, we JUST watched Dilwale a few weeks ago and all of that. But Daisy Irani’s role as Boman’s Mom is so great! And the movie is so happy! And there’s a dance contest!

Shivaay (Prime)

This movie is extremely bad, but also has great action scenes, and might be amazing to snark at. It is the “sex in a tent hanging off a cliff” movie, if that gives you a sense of the dumb/entertaining combo. Also, it deals with motherhood in a really dumb way, so that’s kind of thematic, in terms of how NOT to represent mothers.

17 thoughts on “Friday WatchAlong! A Gentleman, Duplicate, Maine Pyar Kiya, Shivaay, or Happy New Year?

1. I liked Happy New Year, and I missed the Dilwale watch, so I wouldn’t mind! A Gentleman though…

Those are the only two from this list I’ve seen, but I wouldn’t mind Duplicate either. Sounds fun and dumb.

• So, any of the 3 SRK movies, or A Gentleman. You are a woman after my own heart.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 4:12 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. Happy New Year is on Netflix here. Main Pyar Kiya and Shivaay is on Prime here as well. A Gentleman is on einthusan, nowhere else for me.

I vote for Happy New Year. Not one of my favourite movies, I admit, but seeing it with your guys is always so much fun it makes the movie fun in retrospective. So I am voting it!

• Well, if we do watch Happy New Year, I know there will be at least a few people here who are very very happy, not in a “tolerate it for SRK” way, but in a “oooo, I really really like this movie!” way.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 4:51 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Umm you know what I am going to pick: always A Gentleman. But I do also have a soft spot for Maine Pyar Kiya, Happy New Year, and Duplicate. I have to do a hard pass on Shivaay. I am up for any other movie on the list besides that.

Also, question about Maine Pyar Kiya, is it to sweet to make fun of?

4. I’m the odd ball here – My first choice is Shivaay, my second choice is Duplicate – but you know I’ll tune in for anything.

• Finally someone else is interested in Shivaay. Your boys would adore it, it’s got car chases and mountain climbing.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 6:53 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh, and you would be so sleepy this week too! We are going back to 3pm Chicago time (it’s just so much easier for me), which means Freaky Early Australia time.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 8:18 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Happy New Year is the perfect movie for a group viewing I think. So much to make fun of, and we also get hot Shahrukh. Duplicate can also be made fun of, but it’s just boring and none of the Shahrukhs are hot. Gentleman may be fine too, I didn’t much enjoy it though. Not sure about MPK, and please not Shivaay!

• Ha! The World says that no one loves Happy New Year, and here it is with most of the votes.

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 6:18 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It’s true, it is fun. And if we think of it as Farah’s “child”, then it’s a very appropriate Mother’s Day movie.

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 6:56 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. The kids looove HNY and Duplicate (I do, too)…I like A Gentleman…I won’t be able to join the fun (again), but one of these three would be largely welcome 🙂 (I’ll resd the comments 🙂 )

• I just thought of the PERFECT movie, which was not listed here by anyone, but you will be very excited by it. Check out the announcement post going up in a few hours!

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 11:40 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote: