Happy Wednesday! Oh my gosh this week has been crazy at work. Every morning I have 1 or 2 calls scheduled for the day, and by 11am, I am fully booked. Makes the days go in that weird slow/fast way.

I’ll start!

Reading: Oh oh! I have a link for you! My sister sent this to me, the journalism we Need. Washington Post is reprinting homemade child made newspapers. Must click! https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/lifestyle/kidspost/kids-newspapers-coronavirus/?itid=sf_lifestyle-kidspost

Watching: I finally saw Knives Out! And also, The Lego Movie 2. And I watched Shubh Mangal Saavdhan through chat with a friend whose response was “eh”. I’m gonna make her watch Hera Pheri this week to show her what a real gay love story looks like.

Thinking: Today is laundry day! Which, in this new world, means I hand my mother a big bag of dirty clothes, and three hours later she hands me a neatly folded stack of clean clothes. Soooooooo much better than the last 16 years of having to do my own laundry. Blech! The Dark Times!

Listening: It’s Mother’s Day week! Obviously mother songs.

Now, question for you!

What are your favorite Indian movies about motherhood, the good and the bad?

Just to show you how I am thinking, Kapoor & Sons is one for me. Ratna is kind of a terrible mother, but not in an over-dramatic filmi way, just in an everyday stress of life things are hard kind of way. And her terribleness was realistically a result of the family and situation around her, and simultaneously a cause of the family and situation around her.

Now, give me yours!

22 thoughts on “Wednesday Watching Post: What Are You Reading and Watching and Thinking and Listening to the Week of Mother’s Day?

1. Hera Pheri is the greatest gay love story of our times, it is true. Although I’ve started watching SOTY and that would be a good contender if everyone wore more tiny, stiflingly tight shorts and knotted up shirts in it. I’m reading the watchalong comments with it, and everyone is saying 100% what I think every scene.

I finished Chalo Ishq Ladaaye, it was alright. The first and last 30-45 minutes are actually pretty good and I would rewatch any time, the middle is kind of boring. Zohra Sehgal is in it a LOT more than I remember. She’s in most of the movie, actually, and also is really a central character.

There’s also a 100% gratuitous and bondage-heavy torture scene with Govinda at the end that I did not remember at all. I don’t watch movies with anyone else from the 90s/early 00s, so I don’t know if this was a trope then, or maybe an obsession restricted to David Dhawan, but it made me realise I can’t remember when I last saw a Govinda movie without a torture scene in it. I mean, I get it, but how weird is that.

• I am so happy you are watching SOTY! Only problem is, it is such a tease. With all the “Are you going to kiss me?” jokes.

Huh with the 90s bondage! I can think of more bondage scenes off the top of my head from the 90s than necessarily makes logical sense, but I also don’t think of it as an “every movie” kind of thing. Maybe it was just in the air for a while and a thing people did because people were doing it?

Also, HAVE you seen this song from Gupt?

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 6:48 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• A lot of teasing, and little pay off. But I’ll take it.

I guess it was in the air and for some reason they decided Govinda was the perfect person for it. It just really struck me in this movie because it comes completely out of nowhere and was more into the knot and bar situations than normal, and then I thought about it and realised how weird it all really is.

BOBBY what are you WEARING and what are you doing???!! Please stop dancing. Also, cover your children’s eyes at 2:47.

2. I may finally be learning to half-watch stuff. My main program for work is ridiculously slow even if I weren’t working from home, so I can keep Gilmore Girls running on my iPad in the meantime. Never watched the whole show, now’s a pretty good time.
    And then Netflix suggested this little lesbian Cyrano story “The half of it”, that I found surprisingly charming. There’s even a tiny cameo of an Indian movie.

• Netflix wants me to watch The Half Of It too, but I can’t decide if it is worth it. Now the idea of an Indian movie cameo is drawing me in.

I love half watching, but the problem is I can only do it in English. So I spend hours every day watching so-so TV shows instead of Indian movies I could be reviewing, but I really can’t swap them out. If you have the same restriction, let me recommend Little Things! It’s an Indian show on Netflix, but starting with the second season they have an optional English language track available.

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 2:08 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Thanks for the suggestion. English does indeed work best. Better even than German, I think. Doesn’t interfere as much with the German work interface. But the thing is: By now the language itself is part of the charm of Hindi films for me. I don’t want to forget what little of it I’ve learned over the years, so whenever there’s a choice I would always pick the Hindi option.

• Little Things is my top TV show in English recommendation, but if you want to semi-watch movies, so many options! My mind explodes.

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 12:41 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. I watched – Love Aaj Kal 2020, Varane Avashyamund and also Kabhi Kushi Kabhie Gham with my son. I haven’t watched it for ages and was afraid I will find it old and boring, but no! I still love it and from Bole Chudiyan to the end I was crying all the time. People can say what they want but for me this movie works. My son also liked it. He was playing durning many scenes, but the most important parts he watched with attention. I’m thinking about KKHH now. Poor boy must watch those odd movies and lisen to his mother singing rancheras (I discovered old mariachi songs help me with anxiety 😉 )
    But I also watch his stuff. We finished The healing powers of Dude some time ago and I loved it. Now we are finishing The Imbestigators on Netflix and we saw Dora movie (it wasn’t great).

• I LOVE THE INBESTIGATORS!!!!!! I made my parents watch it, and they fell asleep. But I love it! They kids are so very kidlike (so smart they way they filmed them, always with a project to work on so they didn’t get bored with acting), and the mysteries aren’t bad either. Most of all it is just such a warm happy loving world, all the teachers are nice and the parents are loving and the kids just want to do the right thing.

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I love their school! Not only for the teachers but for how equipped it is. I was in elementary school at the beginning of 90′ , right after communism in Poland ended, so you can imagine it wasn’t great. Now my son in in elementary school here in south Italy and it’s worse then my school! So I’m so in love with those colorful classrooms with all those usefull things. I wish we had schools like this here!

• Their school is so happy! And I love the details, the way the kids know all the rules about hanging hats and lunch and things.

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 3:25 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I love K3G forever and it will never lose its shine for me. It’s perfect and I’m sad that Karan doesn’t appreciate his own film enough because he set his own expectations too high.

• Oh oh! Are you the rare one who will defend Jaya in K3G versus Jaya in KHNH on the other post?

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 3:36 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• In my opinion, and I know many won’t agree ,
        K movies Karan >>>>>>>>> later Karan
        I can rewatch his early movies many times, but I don’t want to see ADHM ever again.

4. Watching – Was really looking forward to The Half of It and finally watched it two days back. I really liked the movie for the way in which in subverts the teenage movie staples. I think this should be focus of film makers in India next – making movies about same sex relationships in colleges. I do not know if there is any such movie.

Saw few episodes of Four More Shots Please because since my wife was watching it. I did not like the show.

Thinking – How much does parents movie watching habits influence their children’s choice? My parents hardly watched movies when I was younger and I feel it has allowed me to watch what I want later in life without having developed a fondness for any one type of movie.

• What an interesting question! You may inspire a Discussion Post, “what movies did we watch as children/did our parents introduce to us?”

For myself, my parents both did and did not let us watch movies. We got to watch two movies a week every Friday. It made us pickier I think. And because it was an Event, we watched as a family, so our parents tended to steer us towards movies we could all enjoy. We progressed from Disney cartoons to classic musicals (childfriendly, and not boring for our parents). But eventually I think my sister and myself just took off in our own direction, not what our parents expected at all. We never outgrew musicals, just started exploring different variations on them.

• My parents not watching movies translated into us not watching movies. Rarely did we venture to a theatre. Ocassionally we watched movies on Doordarshan on Sundays when they used to screen movies of different languages. So I had a phase where I was obsessed going to the theatre just for the experience rather than the movie which was playing.

5. Watching: Amar Akbar Anthony, but in chunks according to how much energy I have left at the end of the night. Having just rewatched Mard Ko Dard Nahi Hota in a virtual movie night with my friend (this one had been on my list to show her for a while, but the first virtual movie night made me realize that now I’m going to have to pick movies the husbands will watch too, which will change up the mix a lot) I’m appreciating how much fight choreography has improved over the years. Oh my. This is a fun Amitabh role, though, My Name Is Anthony Gonsalves is the first time I remember giggling at an Amitabh song and dance. I started AAA after watching Once Upon a Time in the West with my husband – it was on some best movies on Netflix list, and he likes a good western, especially the ones that were filmed in Almería. I am a western movie skeptic, some combination of knowing too much actual history and growing up in Colorado and feminist film theory, but I usually can enjoy them even if I’m snarking and every once in a while there’s one I love. According to this one, apparently people in the old west spent most of their time gazing fixedly at each other while sweating. (Or, if you were the lone woman in the cast, while sweating in full eyeliner and mascara.) My husband says that’s a Sergio Leone thing. The plot would adapt well to 70s Hindi film, and a few songs would liven things up. Just don’t know what you would do with the setting.

Mother movies: I can’t help thinking of the Kirron vs. Smita battle of wills in Devdas. And of course Anushka Shetty vs. Ramya Krishna in Bahubali. Epic motherhood. Tends to end badly!

6. Just started Shubh Mangal Zyada Saavdhan last night but too late to finish. I’m a little torn on it so far. Did he have to kiss him at the wedding?

• It just doesn’t feel right somehow, right? Like the filmmakers didn’t have a firm grasp on who their central couple was together and individually. Yes, you do have to finish it, so you can explain to me what the problem is because I am still not fully sure, beyond that something is missing that was there in Ek Ladki.

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 3:39 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

7. Did you like Knives Out? I loved it!
    I can’t think of motherhood movies off the top of my head, although most movies have it. I think I just take that aspect for granted without thinking! I’ll check out your posts on this topic.
    I just finished the Turkish drama series Cesur ve Guzel and it’s the best thing I’ve watched in a long time, from anywhere. It’s tailor made for me – swoony central love story, intrigue, revenge, family drama plus they don’t shy away from showing emotions and vulnerability. I’m honestly surprised at how good the ensemble of actors are, high production values and use of music. Especially the lead actor, Kivanc Tatlitug, he’s so good! Learnt he’s famous in that region for like a decade. I’m gonna check out his work, if only it was easier to find things with proper subtitles 😦
    I watched Aguntuk (The Stranger) by Satyajit Ray and am planning to watch all of Ray’s works. As a Bengali, it’s high time to fulfill my duty and complete his filmography!
    Been listening to Rishi Kapoor songs this past week, he has so many good ones.

• You watch Satyajit Ray and tell me about it, and then I don’t have to! I tell myself I can avoid him because his work was so influential to global cinema, and a little bit Bengali cinema, but not so much Hindi cinema or the other language industries in India.

And yes, I did like Knives Out! It was so well done and made me want to watch some of the classic mysteries it was spoofing a little bit.

On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 11:26 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: