No, Veere Di Wedding is still not on Prime or Netflix. But it is on Einthusan! And, I am guessing by process of elimination, Zee5 (hisssssssssssss!!! Eviiiiiiiiiilllll!!!!!). And Ek Ladki is still on Netflix.

It’s Sonam’s birthday week, and she starred in three of my favorite movies of recent times! We’ve already watched Khoobsurat, so that leaves Veere Di Wedding and Ek Ladki Ko Dekha to Aisa Laga.

Veere Di Wedding

The 4 friends happy female comedy we have all been wishing for!!!! Kareena is getting married and calls on her 3 oldest friends for support, they all try to let go of their own life crisis to come support her, they don’t figure everything out but with the support each other (and Kareena’s awesome gay uncles), they learn to accept who they are a little bit better. It’s raunchy, it’s loving, and almost all the guys are nice and supportive without being unbelievably perfect. Only downside is, you have to watch it on Einthusan. Or Zee5 (booooooooooo! Hisssssssssssss!)

Ek Ladki Ko Dekha To Aisa Laga

A lovely family movie, Anil Kapoor and Juhi Chawla get the perfect romance, Rajkummar is sweet and supportive, just makes me happy. The perfect modern progressive Indian family romance film. Oh, and it’s on Netflix!

25 thoughts on “Happy Sonam’s Brithday! What Should We Watch for Her This Friday? Veere Di Wedding or Ek Ladki Ko Dekha to Aisa Laga, You Can Choose Only One!!!!!

1. I have not seen VDW so I’m EXTREMELY all in for that. I’d hang out with y’all for either, though. I have seen Ek Ladki a bunch of times lately because I like it so much that I keep making people watch it. Note re: VDW and our ongoing conversation about different audiences in and out of India and women vs men. Recently on FB it was maybe the anniversary of the release of VDW and I commented that it was frustrating that I haven’t been able to see it. A bunch of people commented back that it was the worst movie ever, trash, don’t waste my time, even women…and all seemed to be Indians in India. As usual I got the same response from one of my business partners who was born and raised in India. Very curious about thoughts here about that. Do you have to be a non-traditional woman to like a movie like this, or Bridesmaids or Bad Moms? These are my Monday AM big thoughts.

• Reflects on Life posted a really interesting comment in response to VDW which I am just going to copy and paste here:

“While I thought the movie was amazing for presenting us 4 female friends and their lives, she [ROL’s India raised friend] thought the movie was bogus for focusing on upper class life and presenting it as though it represents all friendships. She did an audible eye roll when the veeres vacationed in Thailand, for example. Our contrast in reactions is an interesting study in intersectionality. We are women but we are also each a certain race, nationality, religion, wealth class, educational level, etc. Which of these do you identify with when you watch a movie that gives you more than one option to identify with? She’s someone who grew up in India, and her beef is that all Indian films either are about villages or about upper class. That this is Bollywood first mainstream film with 4 female leads in a close friendship – and they aren’t chasing the same man – simply held no value for her. And I’ve had this similar reaction from several other female immigrant desi friends.”

A couple of other thoughts that occur to me are the double standard that VDW can be blamed for being wish fulfillment etc., while Zindagi Na Milagi Dobara was graded for more easily when telling a similar story of rich friends. And that it is one of those movies where there is a clear disconnect between what is acceptable to say on social media and how people feel. It had such a high box office, clearly many many people enjoyed it, more in America than in India but still plenty in India, and yet that is not something you can say outloud for whatever reason.

Anyway, I am very tempted to pick VDW because I really want to watch it again, even with the access issue. Oh! And that’s a third thought! I wonder if it were more accessible online, opinions would change? Like Zero, and Love Aaj Kal 2020, which were just massacred by the critics and multiplex FDFS types, but then did well with an online release that allowed people to enjoy it in the privacy of their homes.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 11:54 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I fully vote for Veere. As immigrant desis, both my sister and I LOVED it. We loved how it depicted female friendship; it was legitamately funny; we could connect to their issues and how they were handled; there was no chasing after one man; the portrayal of the gay uncle and his partner as surrogate parents; a desi married to a white guy (my husband and my sister fiance are white). I cannot wait to watch it on Friday!

• This was the first movie I saw in a theater, I went with my friend and it was super fun and felt like the crowd was into it. We saw a grandparent aged couple on our way out, which made me curious, but they seemed to be smiling.

I never vote on these since I’m always working. Just one content note: we almost brought my friend’s 9-year-old daughter and didn’t at the last minute, and ended up relieved. There are definitely some not kid appropriate scenes, in case anyone is watching at home with short people around.

• Good note. Even without understanding the language, you can see the drinking and smoking and there are plenty of English language swears flying past too.

There was an older guy and his even older father in a wheelchair) at my screening (middle of the day on a Saturday). The theater was maybe 2/3rds women, a couple middle-aged couples, and this guy with his Dad. Laughter like you wouldn’t believe from the women, but I couldn’t tell if the older guy and his father liked it or not.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 9:32 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• YES to the desi married to a white guy! A really decent dude who isn’t super sexy or rebellious or rich or anything. He’s just the guy she fell in love with. And she isn’t an “exotic Indian beauty type”, she’s just the woman he fell in love with. I just wish that we could get the reverse some day, a non-sexy non-rich non-perfect white woman married to a nice average Indian guy.

On Mon, Jun 8, 2020 at 2:42 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I had a personal, inaudible, but I might have typed something to Margaret, eye-roll about the lavish vacation too! But I still want to see VDW with the DCIB crew.

• But not your kids! I think we are all terrified of watching VDW and knowing there is a 5 year old in the room! Although you know your kids better than us, maybe they would just take everything in their stride.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 9:05 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• My kids would be fine, and also, not particularly interested. The 5-year-old likes the romance movies the best, but now that I think about it, I guess I have not had the actual sex talk with him. He really likes bodies, to the point where in the before times of play dates I had to keep a close eye one him with female friends lest they end up naked under covers. I think the sex talk with him can wait. But don’t worry, VDW is still an Indian movie, in my memory it doesn’t show ANYTHING. and 5-year-old can’t read.

• Oh oh! Show the 5 year old Dil To Pagal Hai! Or not, but in general that film is a total hit with the younger set.

This reminds me, I watched Chennai Express with friends on Saturday, and the 2 and a half year old daughter of one of my friends was completely fascinated with it. I was thinking that was strange since she couldn’t read subtitles or understand Hindi, but heck, she can barely understand English, so what’s the difference? She grasped the plot remarkably well, giving little updates like “He’s got a boo-boo”, and “they are friends”, and “scary”.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 9:47 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I literally watched ELKDTAL last night (It is so good I just want to bundle it up in a soft package and send it to all my friends if it was on DVD) so I am voting for Veere Di Wedding for Friday, a movie which I’ve seen only once and a long time ago.

3. It seems to me that your choices here are influenced by your (by which I mean all the people participating in this discussion) politics and not just the quality of the movie.

So I’m going to suggest something else entirely. Just like you keep pushing Amit Sadh, I’m going to keep pushing Dolly ki Doli until you all break down and watch it. 🙂 It’s a completely fun movie, with not a dull moment, and an unusual role for Sonam (or any other heroine). It also has Rajkumar Rao in a supporting role, and a guest appearance by Saif.

To me it seems like the perfect Friday watch along movie, as it’s fun, lighthearted, and happy, your three requirements. And if you also require a virtue signaling point, it is Sonam’s movie all the way (no “hero” as such), and I also suggested it for your “bad women” recommendations.

Try it, you won’t be sorry!

• Thanks! For Friday Watchalongs, I like to stick with movies I have already seen (makes it easier to comment while watching), so not Dolly Ki Doli this week at least. If I watch it on my own at some point, I might suggest it for a watch along.

On Tue, Jun 9, 2020 at 6:41 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. I’m worried I would be too much of a downer on the Ek…. one, pointing out problems and weirdness and such. Whereas I know I don’t understand everything with VDW, so VDW has my vote. I won’t even make fun of Kareena, because she is actually pretty good in it.

• Einthusan is free, but I think it might be blocked in some countries. And I know it is technologically hinky, so for some people they just can’t get it to work on their device of choice. I try to avoid it for that reason. But I don’t care! VDW is worth it!

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 9:54 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: