Helpful Advice Needed! What Superstitions Can You Suggest To Help With a Successful Toe Surgery?

Blah blah, world is logical, superstitions are pointless, we should all just trust to intellect and planning. But does anyone really believe that? NO! You can do all the research and planning you want, but if you don’t eat the right food at one minute after midnight on New Years, your house will burn down. FACT.

I have terrible luck with medical stuff. Not that I am actually unhealthy, that would be terrible luck with health. I have great luck with health, but somehow the medical system always goes wrong for me. Like, needing a minor medical procedure and suddenly there is a global pandemic that makes getting it treated extremely difficult, and delays treatment until it is almost too late. That kind of bad luck.

I don’t want to show up for my upcoming surgery and learn they didn’t have my name down somehow and I need to be rescheduled, or have surgery and learn I am the 1 in 10 person who needs physical therapy afterwards, or any of that junk! So I am group-sourcing this thing, give me every idea you have to ensure good luck, I will do them all!

I’m already following the common sense “no jinx” rules. My mother is more of a “say it and practice positive thinking and it will happen” person, which terrifies me. NO! You have to say “knock on wood” or “Inshallah” or “God-willing” or something after the statement of the thing you want, or else you jinx it and it doesn’t happen.

Shah Rukh Khan (@iamsrk) | Twitter
Know how successful Shahrukh is? It’s because he says “Inshallah” all the time! No jinxing

Also, of course, I pick up every penny I see, but not if they are tails up. Tails up pennies ruin your life. FACT. My grandmother picked one up, and that night she almost died and ended up having a quadruple bypass.

If I spill the salt, I throw it over my left shoulder, that’s just a daily practice. I never step on cracks, so my mother’s back is PERFECT. I never look at white horses or loads of hay (somewhat dangerous when driving, but better safe than sorry).

But I have opened umbrellas indoors. And I don’t always say “rabbit rabbit rabbit” when passing cemeteries. And there must be other terrible things I am doing on a daily basis, or else I wouldn’t keep having lab tests go missing and stuff every time I try to do anything medical.

Help me! What do I need to add to my pre-surgery checklist? Tell me the superstitions of your culture and give me a sense that the world is under my control!

Or, you know, we can also think of this as just a low stakes interesting cross-cultural conversation about superstitions.

20 thoughts on “Helpful Advice Needed! What Superstitions Can You Suggest To Help With a Successful Toe Surgery?

  1. After three surgery, my best practice is eat a hamburger the night before (get your iron in), don’t hang out with people, and constantly visualize everything going well.

    Like

  2. I think Genevieve’s advice is spot on! Also writing an affirmation right before a big test improves grades, maybe write something positive just before you go in?

    Like

  3. Jewish tradition and Indian tradition both tie a red string around your wrist to ward off the evil eye. They put it on baby carriages as well..so attach a red string to yourself somewhere. I am also in favor of positive imaging: So, here’s your image: when you successfully come out of surgery Shah Rukh will sit by your bedside as you emerge from the drugs to make sure you are safe. You won’t see him because he will carefully leave before you fully wake up, but you will know he has been there because he will leave the tiniest trace of scent…..

    Like

    • Both of these seem very manageable. Oh! I can use a red tie on my braid!

      My current visualization is getting back to my parents and eating ice cream and watching Hamilton with them.

      On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 3:36 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  4. Also the other Inshallah we do is to say, “B’sha’a Tova” which means “it should all happen in a good time” which means all should go as well and uneventful as possible.

    Like

  5. Spanish superstition holds that it is good luck to (accidentally) step in dog doodoo, or get shat upon by a bird. I always found those suspect, but maybe you’ll get lucky :).

    Like

    • I have an endless dog poop supplier right in my living room, so I am sure I can manage this accidentally-on-purpose.

      On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 11:14 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

    • Still going along, tomorrow I get my pre-surgery COVID screening, if that goes well, I have surgery sometime Friday. Oh, which means no Friday Watchalong this week! That’s sad.

      On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  6. I always heard you have to hold your breath when driving past a cemetery. Did that for the longest time.

    I don’t have many medical superstitions/practices because I haven’t had many medical procedures done *knock on wood* (but we do match on that). I had kidney stones a few years ago and had to go in to get them blasted, so the only “advice” I can give from experience is get some sleep the night before, and REALLY take it easy for the rest of the day, maybe even a few days, even if you feel fine. Had to learn that the hard way. -_-

    Like

    • I think “rabbit” might have come out of that? Because you can’t breath if you say “rabbit rabbit rabbit”, it’s like saying “Kabaddi kabaddi kabaddi”.

      Definitely taking it easy! I took Monday-Tuesday off work completely, so I’ve got a good 4 days to just do nothing but heal. Well, and the Friday-Watchalong-On-Sunday.

      On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 10:25 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • I’ve heard that if you’re the first person to say “rabbit” on the first of the month, you’ll have good luck, but that’s it for rabbits.

        Like

        • I keep reading this as “but that’s for rabbits”. As in, rabbits have to be the first one to say “rabbit” on the first of the month and then they have good luck, but it doesn’t work for humans. I suppose we would have to say “human”.

          On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 10:33 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.