Hair Discussion Post: Who Here Has Curly Hair and What Do You Do With It?

I feel the need for a total Happy Place kind of discussion, and “hair” is the best I can come up with at the moment. I mean, we all have it, right? And it’s fun to talk about, brag about, complain about, give and receive advice, and so on.

Curly Hair! I have as far opposite as you can go, my hair refuses to hold a curl, and this was the biggest tragedy of my childhood. My Mom took me to a wonderful hair dresser to get my hair cut when I was little and, as a reward for sitting still, she would “do” my hair however I wanted once she was done cutting it. I always picked curls. Or, as I pronounced it then, “cuwls”.

She would use a curling iron and turn my whole head into a Little Orphan Annie look, and then spray hairspray all over it so they would stay as long as possible. And I would spend days crying “but my CUWLS!” every time I had to lay down for a nap or my Mom came at me with a hairbrush or, worst of all, tried to wash my hair. The whole thing was extremely emotional, but that moment of pure joy when I could see my head covered in ringlets just like I wanted was worth all the emotion of slowly losing them over the next few days.

No one in my family has truly curly hair. My Mom has that kind of hair where if you cut it short and layer it, it sort of naturally waves around on the head, but if you grow it out, the weight of the hair straightens itself. My sister is the same, but a little straighter. And I am straightest of all, my hair absolutely refuses to do anything but lay perfectly flat and straight like it has little iron weights attached to the bottom of each strand.

Okay, that’s all I have to say about curly hair! Now, y’all take it away!

Some possible topics:

Remember in the 90s when all women had permed curls? What was that about?

Do you wish your curly hair could be perfectly shining wild curls all the time with no frizz, or do you wish it could be perfectly straight all the time with no effort?

Is it true that curly hair should be washed less and conditioned more or is that just a way to sell conditioner?

If you have straight hair (like me), did you ever wish it was curly?

Who has the best curly hair in Indian film of the following three people/which of the following three people’s hair best represents your own/which of the following three people do you wish you had their hair?

Bobby Deol's curly locks Pics | Bobby Deol's curly locks Photos | Bobby  Deol's curly locks Portfolio Pics | Bobby Deol's curly locks Personal  Photos - ETimes Photogallery
Premam movie: Nivin Pauly's heroine in Premam | Malayalam Movie News -  Times of India
Manmarziyaan' film review: Anurag Kashyap rewrites the rules of the rom-com  game

23 thoughts on “Hair Discussion Post: Who Here Has Curly Hair and What Do You Do With It?

1. Oh, nice!
    I have naturally curly hair, wavier really, but when it gets humid my hair curls from the small to the big ones like there is no tomorrow. Currently growing it out, for obvious real-life reasons and I like it long now.

Sometimes when I went to the hairdresser they did want to straighten my hair or put some neat curls in it, but I like it a bit wild, a bit almost free flower girl/70s hippy with a parting in the middle and letting the curls go the way they want to in the night/or dry by themselves in the air. No hairdryer for me at all and I brush only when needed or if it comes out a bit too near the face when it is dry.

I have soft, a bit delicate (though a good vegan shampoo has fixed that and I love it) hair and at least for me it has been informed that shampoo for the whole head, while the hair ends are to have the conditioner. If I have the whole hair conditioned it just looks oily and unclean. Currently washing it every 2 days unless there is something important that makes me shower my hair two times in a row. Tapsee’s hair is a bit more like my own, but longer and different colour, obviously, and not that thick.

This is what my hair looks like if it is a good day (person in the pic obviously not me), but I do get some odd corkscrew/rag curls at some points there as well, which are always fun since they are so bouncy and I get to feel like Mary Pickford a bit:

• Wait, you don’t brush it???? This is a feature of curly hair I had never thought of! I have to brush my hair every single day and then neatly braid it, or else it gets everywhere and becomes so tangled it is impossible. Is that not true of curly hair?

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 12:58 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I brush it sometimes if I need to get the tangles out or make it a bit more fluffy it some points, but really, the conditioner at the ends of the hairtips is what makes (at least my hair) curly, smooth and without the need for brushing since it does the untangling all by itself.

Yea, full on brushing just makes the curls go away for me and makes my hair either look flat and boring or just a witch-like mess of hair. Which is why I don’t do it unelss I absolutely need to. As I said, mine is more on the wavy curls side. Curls are different for everybody, like skincare or makeup, the treatment is different depending on the hair and I guess where one lives. Like I said, if I lived in a humid country the chances of me worrying about my curls would not be as big thing to treat and maintain as it is here in Finland, because Finland is dry and hot and then cold and freezing. It is not the best country for my skin or hair, if I’m honest. I just have good natural curls, I guess.

• Curly hair untangles itself????? This is the most amazing thing.

Does your hair noticeably change as soon as you are in a different climate? Like, curls sprung up or disappear?

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 1:56 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• The hair from the photo is my DREAM HAIR. Unfortunately I never managed to have it , not even for one day. I’m absolutely terrible with hair and I hurt myself even whit simple hairdryer. I asked many hairdressers to recreate those locks and none made it. I always finish with some odd old lady locks I hate 😦

2. My hair is mildly wavy, and I’ve been using curly hair methods to try and make it wavier, but I don’t think it’s working. It’s mostly more frizzy. Although it doesn’t help that it takes 100 years to dry and I have to blow dry it most of the time.

3. I have a pronounced waves and I recently have started to use curly method (not Deva Curls, but close to it). And in pretty mature age I realized that I am much more curly than I supposed all my life:) When I had been at school I was dreaming about straight hair and was sure that it is impossible to be stylish girl with waves or curls. And then I have seen Helena Bonham Carter and changed my mind:)
    Brushing is banned in curly method and you should use only your fingers so generally I have stopped to brush and with my bob cut there is no problems with it. I wash hair each 2 days, and in curly method you really need more conditioner, that’s true.
    As for Indian stars I absolutely support Shashi waves. My waves look like Bobby’s (light-colored version), and for me this is the best option – hair is naturally curly and if I want sometimes straight bob I don’t need to spend 2 hours with a brush and hair dryer (as with Anupama’s one), it takes about 15-20 minutes.

• This sounds amazing, to just wash and finger brush and go with a cute little curly bob. This is the hair I dreamed about when I was a little girl and would have for those precious for days post-haircut.

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 3:31 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. I have curly hair.. hated it throughout my childhood and teens.. Impossible to style and gets frizzy and what not.. then I internet came and thought me what to do.. The magic of proper conditioners and gels. Now rocking my curls..😊

PS The curls of Anupama Parameswaran looks pretty dry and frizzy. Anna Ben has better curls IMO. Also a big fan of Mithila Pathekars curls

• Oh, that is nice! And I am so glad she didn’t straighten it completely, with straight hair her face wouldn’t look right at all.

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 4:42 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Ooo, just looked up Anna Ben, yes they are lovely! And long, curly hair that stays magically curly even when she pulls it into a ponytail:

That must be so amazing, going from having hair that was never right to hair that is magically beautiful. It’s the sort of “Make over” moment we never get in films, where it’s all “let’s take off her glasses!”

On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 4:28 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Another curly hair gal here. Though it wasn’t always so. I actually had straight hair growing up and then one day in college it turned full-out curly almost overnight. I kid you not. For years, I didn’t speak to my hair because I.Didn’t.Know.What,It.Wanted.From.Me! After realizing that the curly “phase” wasn’t going away, hair and I reconciled and I let it do what it wants. Which works out well because I’m notoriously lazy and refuse to spend more than 5 minutes on my hair.
    Normal hair care/styling routine is: shampoo twice a week, wet it down every day and work a small dab of conditioner through the hair to detangle it. I have very fine hair, so I NEVER brush my hair, and only finger-comb. Never blow dry it – just let it air dry and despite the fact that my hair is a lot thinner now than when I was in my 20s and only goes a few inches past my shoulders, it takes AGES to dry. Like 3 hours minimum. Oh, and I sleep on a silk pillow case.

Andie Macdowell is probably the closest approximation to what my hair looks like – when it’s behaving.

• You have given me hope! Maybe someday I will wake up and my hair will magically look completely different.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 8:57 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. My hair is very curly and very thick. At the beginning of quarantine, I discovered “curly hair YouTube” and learned about how to take care of curly hair, even though most of it I still don’t actually do. But here’s what I “do with my hair”
    – I only wash my hair twice a week. I try to create a schedule, every three days, but it changes if I want my hair to look nice for some even or if I get too busy.
    – DO NOT EVER BRUSH CURLY HAIR WHEN IT’S DRY. It’s not only painful, but it takes out all the curls and leaves your hair a frizzy ball.
    – Frizz is my worst nightmare. To answer your question, I would rather keep my curls and never have frizz than to have it straight every day. Rain is not so bad, but light, misty rain and humidity will ruin my hair.
    – Apparently, you’re not supposed to use shampoo with sulfates in it because sulfates are used in harsh cleansers like laundry detergent and dish soap and will damage your hair. But conditioners also shouldn’t have silicones in them because they’ll build up in your hair and can only be removed with sulfates. This I’m not as strict about. But I truly don’t understand why people say shampoo is bad for your hair. If the ingredients are so bad, they make shampoos with better ingredients. I have to shampoo twice because my hair is so thick, I only condition once.
    – And then comes all the creams and gels and actually getting the knots out of my hair. From getting into the shower to done styling my hair, the whole thing takes an hour. And then air drying takes LITERALLY HOURS, there have been times where I’ve gone to sleep on damp hair because it didn’t dry fully before I had to go to bed, which is also a big no no, but so are blow dryers so like. What do I do.

I have 2c/3a type curls which are pretty much in the middle, and I’m blonde, so I get a lot of compliments on my hair, which is natural, but it is a lot to maintain.

• I also forgot to mention that the hairspray curls you mentioned are…okay. I was in a wedding last year, and the stylist blew my hair out straight only to recurl it with a curling iron only to THEN pin it all up into an updo. As someone with naturally curly hair, it seemed so ridiculous. When I took all the bobby pins out, it did look good, but then I actually started living my life and all the curls fell out and my hair was basically straight.

• Oh my gosh, this is like a whole master’s thesis on hair care. you have been busy during quarantine!

On Mon, Sep 14, 2020 at 5:48 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: