Saturday Small Talk: Chat Away While I Make Bread and Binge Watch TV Shows!

Happy Saturday! I have big plans today, to do NOTHING!!! Last Saturday I ran a million errands and was extremely productive (took my car in, got a flu shot, went to the library, and brought in a strap to a shoe repair place). This Saturday I did our morning watchalong then drove over to pick up the strap at the shoe repair place and now I am DONE.

Okay, things to talk about!

Aamir did a tweet about DDLJ which, essentially, agrees with my take. Because both of us are seeing what is right there in the film! The hero grows into a better person, the heroine learns to speak for herself, they are not perfect at the start.

Ranveer and Varun are going to be in Rohit Shetty’s Angoor remake! I like Ranveer and Varun together, that’s cool. I do not like that the movie is called “Cirkus” because SPELLING IS MEANINGLESS. And I find it a little weird that it is referred to as a “The Comedy of Errors remake” instead of “Angoor” remake. But I am also excited about Ranveer and Varun in a double double role comedy!

Rohit Shetty and Ranveer Singh reunite for Cirkus | Entertainment News,The  Indian Express

It was Prabhas’ birthday yesterday! What is your favorite Prabhas film? Mine is Bujjigaddu.

26 thoughts on “Saturday Small Talk: Chat Away While I Make Bread and Binge Watch TV Shows!

1. I didn’t know I can be that uninterested in a movie like I’m for this new Rohit Shetty’s film. It literally has everything I don’t care about: Rohit Shetty. Ranveer, Varun Sharma, Pooja Hedge.

On the contrary, I’m super excited for RRR. I saw NTR Jr teaser the other day and I loved it. I hope it will arrive here in Sicily because I need to watch it on the big screen.

• My only doubt was: How Alia will fit into this movie? But later I remembered Kajal Aggarwal was in Megadheera and she sucked but the movie was still fun. I have faith in Rajamouli 😀

• I like Kajal Aggarwal! Her character sucked in Magadheera, but I’m not gonna blame her.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 4:16 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• No one knows when this movie will release. Initially it was for Dussera this year then it became Sankranthi next year. And now it is all up in air because shooting is not yet complete and with corona and floods in Hyderabad looks like it is not starting anytime soon. Also Alia and an British femalw actor are supposed to join the film at some point.

• “Ranveer-Shakespearian Comedy’ just feels so perfect. And then I kind of lose interest when I think of it as a Ranveer-Varun double star film.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 3:35 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It just hit me how GREAT it would be to see an Indian Henry V. Can you imagine? Ranveer as the wild young prince who matures into a king, and someone awesome as Falstaff.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 2:44 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes! There’s the tragedy trilogy from Bhardwaj, and a spattering of comedy remakes, but there is so much more they could be drawing from.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 11:05 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I remember now! I’m very happy because I found some fan pictures of the back of Govinda’s head so I finally figured out his hair situation. He’s still bald at the back but clearly got plugs at the front! I’m sad it’s not a wig, though it’s possible he uses a wig when performing.

• Plugs at the front must look so weird in person. On camera it’s fine because we can just only see him from the front. But in real life to have hair and then suddenly no hair is WEIRD!

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 3:04 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I hadn’t heard about this, for a second I got excited thinking it’s Ranveer and Varun Dhawan, but no! I’ve neutral expectations, could go either way with Rohit Shetty. I actually saw Angoor recently, I didn’t find it that funny. I actually love the Bengali film on which it is based (Bhrantibilash), had watched it a few times growing up. In this instance, I’ll be one of those people and say the original is much funnier, despite being in black-and-white.

I had thought about bringing up Aamir’s tweet few days back, but forgot. The chain of events on twitter following that was – people went ‘Ok, what dirt does YRF have on Aamir?’ because no one believed he would do it voluntarily, then it turns out his son Junaid is apparently making his debut with them, and people went ‘Ah, it all makes sense now!’ I love this part of twitter:D

I saw your chat with Melanie, Albie so wanted to be in the video! It’s so interesting that both of you fell in love with Hindi films because of DDLJ, despite having seen other ones before. Makes one think why some films have that effect while others don’t have that appeal despite being ‘good’. The discussion on Raj made me realize that the recent Turkish drama I enjoyed so much has a protagonist who’s essentially a raunchier version of ‘Raj’ and I will always have a fondness for that character wherever he shows up!

• Welcome! So glad you found Hindi films, and this blog.

There isn’t a rivalry exactly between Aamir and SRK. They, and the third Khan Salman, have been the top actors in the industry for about 30 years. Salman is a fairly close friend of both of the other two, Aamir and SRK are not super close but they are friendly. However, as the three top actors, there is a bit of healthy competition between them I believe. For instance Shahrukh had the top box office record holder movie for years, then Aamir toppled him, then Salman toppled Aamir, and so on. I don’t think they set out to defeat their rival, but they also certainly enjoy being on top. However, the fans of the three (especially Salman and Shahrukh fans) can get VERY competitive with each other. And the media drives a narrative setting them against each other.

• I legit believed he would do it voluntarily! It’s a great movie, Aamir has random interests and tweets sometimes. But maybe I am naive.

3. I suddenly have zero expectations from Angoor remake.It worked in the first place because how simplistic the film was,and had more in common with art house films than masala cinema.Ranveer,Varun and Shetty together in a film seems ominous.Not that they are individually bad,but their collective craziness can go berserk(Simmba was awful,and so was Varun’s role in Dilwale,in my opinion).Situational humour is what I associate with the original Angoor,rather than the slapstick approach intended.
    Are the pandemic norms loosening up in US,especially with elections?In India,I had planned to see the Kolkata Pujo(the gooooooorgeooous Pandels,the bedecked idols,people dancing with abandon,handicraft shops,I could go on and on)finally this year,but all in vain.Feels really frustrating not to have set foot outside home for seven months(to the point of having a depleted stationery stash,thankfully colleges are a bit lenient in this atmosphere)now since March,even groceries were home delivered(by private companies,government agencies were garbage).Feels like we Indians will need to set aside their stigmas and consult therapists,past few months have been draining for everyone.Makes me wish we could set 2021 as 2020 and pretend this year never happened.As it is nothing remotely good happened this year.Except,of course,Vikrant Massey who “happened” to us.

• I can’t speak to the whole US, which is part of the weirdness here, there is no consistency state by state or even city by city. Where I live, we just got word that the mayor doesn’t want gatherings of more than 6 people from different households, and the restaurants (which were open under restrictions) are closed again. And my grandfather’s retirement home just closed to visitors again. We’ve got plenty of supplies, stuff like paper is easy to get delivered or even buy at grocery stores (which are still open, with mask requirements and limited customers at a time). And testing is easy and readily available. And you can certainly go for walks in parks and get out of the house. But large gatherings are unlikely for the foreseeable future. Agree about therapy! I think I’ve heard that the anxiety and other prescriptions are going up in the US, which is to be expected.

You are making me really curious about Angoor! An art house cinema take on a mistaken identity double role sounds really interesting and unusual. And definitely not what a Rohit Shetty-Varun Dhawan-Ranveer Singh movie will be.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 12:52 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Just watched Sholay for the first time. Amitabh is billed third after Sanjeev Kumar, Dharmendra and Hema, but you can certainly see the star he’ll soon become. And Dharmendra was such a sexy gremlin. I understand why some critics call it the mother of Indian films. But I’m still happy Chak De and SRK were my first.

Happy Birthday, Darling! (A Libra just like me, well, close enough.)

• Where did you watch Sholay? WARNING! Amazon Prime has a messed up version of it. So you’ve seen some scenes of the movie, but not the real movie, if you saw that version. But you’ve obviously seen enough to get the idea of Amitabh as a star on the rise, and Dharmendra with his massive charm.

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 12:27 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. How did your bread turn out? My 10-year-old is doing his science project on bread – because my husband mostly makes all of ours and it seemed like an easy thing to play around with – and now with all the experiments we have more bread than we know what to do with.

• Turned out great! I cheated, I mail ordered from a company called “soberdough” a whole bunch of kits months ago. You just empty the bag they send into a bowl and then add any carbonated beverage (they expect you to use beer, but you can use anything with bubbles). Then mix and put it in the oven. I feel guilty because I can make actual bread from scratch, but then you have to deal with the hassle of getting the yeast at the right temperature, and kneading the dough, and all of that. This way, just mix and bake and then feel like you made bread. And it’s really really yummy, I highly recommend it: https://www.soberdough.com/

On Sun, Oct 25, 2020 at 11:30 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote: