Admit Your Dirty Secrets Here, So We Can Judge You

I think all communities have standards, right? And certainly DCIB has standards as well. So here is the place where you can admit the things you secretly feel/believe that you KNOW I will not approve of. Just because…I don’t know, I’m in a bad mood today? I wanna see if I can restrain myself from biting your head off?

Who DOESN’T like Shahrukh Khan?

Who made Shah Rukh Khan cry on his 50th birthday? | IndiaTV News |  Bollywood News – India TV

Who DOES like Priyanka Chopra?

Indian Women Priyanka Chopra Smiling Face Stills In Black Top | Actress priyanka  chopra, Priyanka chopra, Priyanka chopra wallpaper

Who DOESN’T like Farah Khan movies?

Om Shanti Om - Wikipedia

Who DOES like Bhansali movies?

Bajirao Mastani - Wikipedia

Who DOES like Akshay Kumar?

PadMan' new poster: Akshay Kumar's village 'superhero' is scaling new  heights in the big city

Who DOES like Ranbir Kapoor?

Ranbir Kapoor gives witty reply when asked about the movie that made him cry  | Celebrities News – India TV

Who DOESN’T like Shashi Kapoor?

A tribute to Shashi Kapoor on his 81st birth anniversary: The many faces of  the legendary Shakespeare Wallah | Entertainment News,The Indian Express

Who DOESN’T like Bahubali?

Prabhas starrer Bahubali series to re-release in theaters | Entertainment  News – India TV

Who DOESN’T like Jab Harry Met Sejal?

Wahiyat Wednesday: Jab Harry Met Sejal, Imtiaz Ali made your face meet palm  - Movies News

Who DOESN’T like Vidya Balan?

Exclusive: When Mahesh Bhatt's call made Vidya Balan sob uncontrollably |  Filmfare.com

Who DOESN’T like Madhuri Dixit?

Madhuri Dixit __ Whatsapp status Video __ Emotional Dialogues __ Sad Crying  Hindi Dialouges - YouTube

Who DOESN’T like the movies Bang Bang and War?

Hrithik Roshan-Tiger Shroff's 'WAR' to feature Holi song 'Jai Jai Shiv  Shankar'; details inside

Who DOESN’T like Dogs?

Shah Rukh Khan Universe Fan Club on Twitter: "#DidYouKnow Shah Rukh Khan's  favourite book is "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy" by Douglas Adams.  He has a dog named Chewbacca. The actor

Who DOESN’T like Alan Rickman?

Alan Rickman - IMDb

Who DOESN’T like Chocolate?

Shahrukh Khan worked 18 hours in three shifts, the celebs working with him  shared interesting stories. - Light Home

Come on now, be brave! Stand by your convictions! The worst that will happen is a dozen internet folks jump on you and explain to you why you are wrong!

39 thoughts on “Admit Your Dirty Secrets Here, So We Can Judge You

  1. I like Alan Rickman, just not as a love interest. I only sometimes like Madhuri. I’m very particular with dogs. I do dislike some. But some, a select few, I love. I took a friend’s dog on an 8 mile hike last weekend. I have never finished watching Bahubali, the first one, I never even started the second. But my BIGGEST no no, is that I still use the word Bollywood. When I say Indian films people get confused, I live next to a reservation, they think I mean American Indian. And Telugu and Hindi films are different, with different actors. But when I use the word Bollywood there is no confusion, usually. Oh, and I do kinda like Bhansali movies, but they aren’t my favorites.

    Also, when the kids come home with school lunch sandwiches made with american cheese, I grill them, and JOYFULLY eat their left-overs.

    Like

    • I am HORRIFIED that you still use Bollywood! Although sympathetic. I avoid it and then people get confused and I use that as a Teaching Moment. But I can understand if you don’t particularly feel like having Teaching Moments through out your very busy life when you could so easily avoid them. Also, have you seen Smoke Signals? That’s what I always think of as an actual American Indian movie and it is SO GOOD. And happy!

      I have never had American Cheese because my Mom was a snob, so I can’t judge you one way or another for this. I can say that I adore homemade grilled cheese sandwiches with my cheap scuzzy cheddar.

      On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 7:18 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • I have seen Smoke Signals! Sherman Alexie came to our town some years back and I read six of his books before he came. He was charming and lovely and walked into the bookstore and bought a copy of the magazine BUST on his free time. I think of him now especially as I think of the Woody Allen art vs. artist debate.

        Sherman Alexie had a difficult relationship with his mother, she died, he wrote about his processing the grief of their relationship WHILE he was still processing it, and then proceeded to have a mental breakdown on his book tour. While he is having this mental breakdown an ex-lover of his comes out as part of the Me Too movement and trashes him. Other ex-lovers come out, some of whom were young women who thought he would help them with their writing careers and he didn’t. He has a fall from grace, and meanwhile a slew of books written by other Native Authors hit the shelves, one of which, There There, becomes a huge sensation. It is like his fall from grace allowed other Native Authors to take root. And yet at the same time, the reason he was such a force, the reason reporters constantly sought him out and ignored others was because he was so open and charming. It isn’t like he actually stopped reporters from interviewing others, he didn’t stop publishers from publishing works from other Native authors. While I have a neighbor who says his relationships with the young women was inappropriate as they saw him in a teacher way, these women were not minors, and they were clearly trying to use him. While White presidents can grope and brag about it and have three wives with impunity a Native man can’t have consensual affairs without repercussions.

        That said, when I found out about Sherman Alexie’s infidelity I was mad at him. I stopped turning his books face out at the bookstore. So many words about loving his wife and such obnoxious behavior, and yet from his books, especially from his poetry, it is clear the man is a horndog. We so want our heroes to be perfect.

        When American Cheese melts it is a substance other than food, and yet, and yet it is amazing to eat.

        Like

        • I had no idea about ANY of this! I am very out of touch both with Native American literature, and popular literature in general. Oh well.

          I can still enjoy Smoke-Signals-the-movie, right? That seems super far removed from the personal life of the author of the book on which it is based.

          Really interesting result that the #MeToo scandal ended up elevating other authors, but why did that happen? And how did it happen? And what could have been the alternative result? It’s not the same as what comes up with Woody Allen, or loads of other male creators, that they are forgiven and allowed to flourish after terrible sins while women directors have their careers blackballed for stuff like “she cried on set” or “she gave an interview that was kind of snotty”. But in this case, it’s not that he was forgiven and others were punished, it’s just that he took a lot of the acclaim. Maybe the issue is really that the general culture thought “we only have space for one Native American author and this is it” instead of trying to reach out to so many others. Maybe in that way it is more like Cosby? He sucked up so much air in the realm of “Popular Black American Man” that there was no space for anyone else? It’s interesting, I’m glad you brought this up, lots to think about. So long as I can still enjoy Smoke-Signals-the-movie.

          You have ALMOST convinced me to try American cheese.

          On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 9:47 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

    • I use Bollywood all the time when referring to Hindi movies (not when I am referring to movies in other languages) and I have no problem with it. In fact, I think it is accurate to call Hindi movies Bollywood movies and it is the term used by the very people who make the Hindi movies.

      Like

      • Well that’s it, we can’t be friends any more 🙂

        The “Don’t Call It Bollywood” rule for me came about through grad school. It was a rule I used in conversation with my fellow film scholars because it immediately forced them to treat the industry with more respect than calling it “Bollywood”. If I say “Hindi Film” or “Indian Film” they treated it like they would “Swedish Film” or “Iranian Film”. If I said “Bollywood”, they treated it like….well, like they were racists. Lot’s of funny accents and bad bhangra dancing and laughter. But so long as you don’t know any intellectual racists, or are forced to be in grad school with them, it doesn’t matter NEARLY as much!

        On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 9:11 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

        >

        Liked by 1 person

    • My worst secret is probably that I sometimes say Bollywood even when referring to South cinema because it’s less stressful to try to explain the difference depending on who I’m talking to. I would understand, Margaret, if you kicked me off the blog.

      Like

      • COURTNEY!!!! That’s TERRIBLE! You should instead stop the conversation and deliver a 5 minute lecture on Indian history and culture, like I do. And then people start gently edging away from me.

        On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 4:40 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

        >

        Like

  2. You know my answers….I LOVE Bhansali movies…love the beautiful shallowness of his movies…Saawariya is one of my favorite movies…
    And I dislike Shah Rukh’s onscreen persona….movies like Kal Ho Na Ho makes me angry…he was reading your mail…that’s your crazy neighbor doing illegal stuff….get a restraining order….don’t fall in love and let him dictate your entire life!!

    Like

  3. It’s not a secret I don’t like Farah Khan movies. Saw MHN years ago, didn’t like it (even if at that time I loved everything Indian I saw, except this one.).
    OSO – seen only once , don’t remember much, never rewatched
    Happy New Year – left in the middle
    Akshay-Katrina flop – no interest in watching it ever.

    Madhuri – I love her older roles, but can’t stand her new movies. She is a terrible actress now.

    Like

    • But, you do hate Akshay, right? At least we can unite on that one?

      On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 4:32 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • Yes, I hate Akshay and his films with the fire of 1,000 suns. Even more because I used to like him and had a crush on him, so seeing what he has become and what he supports makes me double angry and disappointed. The World was a better place when Akshay did silly, romantic movies with bad choreography. Why he changed? Was it worth it? We will never have another gem like this one:

        Like

      • I haven’t seen Gulaab Gang, but I have seen Kalank and Bucket List, and I think she was very bad in the latter. Especially in the comedy scenes.
        She wasn’t good in Kalank neither, but who was?

        Like

        • I only made it half way through bucket list, and didn’t see Kalank, so I can’t really comment. Bucket List was boring. I don’t know if that was her fault per se, but I’m not going to watch it again to find out why it sucked. I loved Gulaab Gang though. I didn’t love it for Madhuri, but she was okay in it. Juhi was great!

          Like

  4. I love Bhansali movies, there is just this (I don’t know how else to call it) queer level of bombastic and theatrical drama that he captures in his films that is very appealing to someone like me. Many of his films might actually work better on stage, but I love his films. He has his faults; Padmaavat, some characters not being clearly defined etc. But somehow I just can’t help but love him and see every film he makes. He is a storyteller who deals with characters, they might be a bit shallow on the surface, but that what makes you dig deep (and I guess project) your own wishes (clothes and all) to those characters.

    Kal Ho Na Ho is somehow not a movie that I can “get into” as easily as some of SRK’s other work. I have no idea why, but I just don’t get the large hype for it.

    Like

    • I should add to the SLB part that his films are ripe with queer readings, from the obvious friendship/closeness of some of the women characters (Paro x Chandamukhi is a ship that is ripe on the internet) and the almost worship of a love that is brief or is unfulfilled.

      Like

    • We will just agree to not talk about Bhansali, because you know he makes me angry!

      Not liking Kal Ho Na Ho, that I can accept far FAR more easily 🙂

      On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 5:37 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  5. I like Priyanka Chopra. Good for her for creating opportunity for herself in Hollywood when the Hindi film industry started to shun her. Besides that I also really liked her in many of her films including, Dostana, Bluffmaster, Mary Kom, Dil Dhadakne Do, Bajirao Mastani, Barsaat.

    I don’t like chocolate. Every once in a while I will get a craving for a Reese’s peanut butter cup of Kit Kat but other than that, chocolate does nothing for me.

    Liked by 1 person

    • I only know one other person who truly doesn’t like chocolate. She’s 12. I know it is real, she has never liked chocolate. Clearly she and you are missing some taste buds or something.

      Liked by 1 person

      • I already love this 12 year old. I also don’t like cheese or ice cream, so clearly I am missing some taste buds. Yet, I love stuff like shrimp paste and dried fish. Something is clearly wrong with me.

        Like

        • Stories are still circulated among my close and extended family about how as a 3 year old I would wait up until my dad came home from work and roasted dried mackerel on the roof of our house (because my mother would not allow him to cook it inside) just so I could have a few bites.

          Liked by 1 person

          • I enjoy the salty/savory flavor quite a bit, probably more than sweet, but I don’t DISLIKE sweets. That’s just madness.

            On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

            >

            Like

      • I have a co-worker who truly doesn’t like chocolate. It makes buying cakes for office birthday’s very difficult. She usually just tells us not to worry about her because she knows she is weird.

        On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 9:52 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

        >

        Liked by 1 person

    • I am going to have an anti-PC chocolate fest just to SHOW you!!!!

      I will allow you to like PC, I guess. It’s not like you like Kangana-as-a-person, PC is still on the acceptable line for me.

      On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 9:20 AM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

  6. I can’t say I dislike War, but it’s not my favourite 2019 movie and I thought it will be better because you all were so in love with this film.

    Like

      • Yeah, I know. And I still remember Alisa’s comments and tweets how amazing War is.
        It’s a nice movie. I understand why it was a hit and hope there will be more movies like that but personally prefer Malaal, Notebook, Pal Pal Dil Ke Paas, Photograph and Marjaavan (btw I just checked a list of 2019 movies and man, it wasn’t a good year for films)

        Like

  7. I like Priyanka.
    I don’t like EVERY Farah Khan movie
    I don’t hate EVERY Bhansali movie (still hate most of them)
    I like Ranbir Kapoor… ONLY as an actor.
    I don’t like the FIRST BAHUBALI (I like the second one)

    Like

    • I think all of these are just barely acceptable! I will grudgingly allow you to like Priyanka. And so long as you dislike Ranbir as a person, liked Bahubali 2, like some Farah movies and dislike some Bhansali movies, we can still geta long.

      On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 5:41 PM dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  8. Let’s see how angry I can make you!
    Farah – love MHN, like OSO, enjoy HNY, not seen the other one – so generally like her movies

    Bhansali – only really enjoyed HDDCS in its time

    I like 90s and 00s Akshay

    I genuinely like Ranbir as an actor

    Bahubali – I watched part 2 without watching 1, and loved 2 so much that I rewatched it a bunch of times, and didn’t like 1 at all when I eventually watched it!

    I don’t like chocolates, didn’t like them even as a child.

    Priyanka – (brace yourself!) She was my girl-crush for quite some time, starting right after the Miss World win, peaking around Dostana, continuing till Pyaar Impossible days. Nowadays I don’t like her off-screen, but I can still enjoy her on-screen. I haven’t seen a PC movie in a long time though, the last was DDD where I really liked her.

    Like

  9. While I don’t like Ranbir as a person, I can’t say I actively hated all of his movies. YJHD was magical. Same with Bhansali. Not a fan of him as a human, but Ram Leela is still one of my all time favorites.

    Priyanka is different. I mean, she’s similar to Ranbir and Bhansali in the sense that I can recognize that all are objectively extremely talented at what they do. But Priyanka I don’t despise as much. It might be because I’ve been in love with Nick Jonas for years and if he married Priyanka, she must be at least somewhat decent. I haven’t found enough of a reason yet to dislike her.

    And I’ve said before that JHMS was a disappointment for me because it wasn’t what I expected and it felt very confusing and all over the place. I tried rewatching it once with friends, but it wasn’t any better the second time (aside from the anticipation because I knew the kiss was coming) and my friend literally fell asleep about 75% in.

    Like

    • Also, with Akshay and Madhuri, my thoughts are “I can understand and acknowledge that they are good at their craft, but I cannot for the life of me understand why so many people worship the ground they walk on” But I can at least see the appeal of Madhuri more than Akshay. The limited number of movies of his, like he puts in the effort, but it’s not stellar, and it’s the same thing every time.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.