Koffee With Karan Discussion Area! What Do You Hate? What Do You Tolerate? What Do You Miss?

I gotta say, the very “eh” attitude of those of you who are watching this season is not inspiring me to give it a try. But on the other hand, I do enjoy reading what y’all thought.

Just to get the discussion going, I understand the first episode was Alia talking about how marriage and Ranbir and the Kapoor Family have made her all traditional and cultural and Ranbir is just The Best.

And then there was Sara-Jhanvi which had a weird dynamic

And now Aamir Kareena which people really want to talk about.

Is that it? What did I miss?

40 thoughts on “Koffee With Karan Discussion Area! What Do You Hate? What Do You Tolerate? What Do You Miss?

  1. The Samantha episode was awesome. She’s a breath of fresh air. Frank, acerbic, intelligent, insightful, but also charming, charismatic, comfortable in her own skin, and a “sexy without realizing it” vibe. (Though she probably realizes it lol. ) I guess that’s what happens when you label a 12-year veteran as a debutante lol.

    Funny how Akshay was 1000% more comfortable than on any previous episode. Maybe because Samantha’s personality is so similar to Twinkle’s, he must feel comfortable with those types of women.

    All the other episodes rank among the most boring out of 8 seasons! Without questions about airport looks or “rank the actresses by who is the most stunning”, this show has no raisom d’etre.

    Like

      • She is so insanely famous in north India, i remember a group discussion going on our work group when they got divorced. Every guy was kinda happy that they can dream about her now.

        Like

  2. Don’t let us put you off KwK, you always have interesting insights! I’ll still watch the episodes simply because there is nothing else like it out there. I’m tolerating the increasingly sex-focused angle Karan has decided to take. Maybe it’s the age difference or the fact that it’s one-sided which is making me uncomfortable. Also because I’ve outgrown the newest generation of actors, their personal lives don’t interest me anymore. I liked learning about the Sara-Janhvi friendship which was the best part of the episode. I don’t know Vijay so I didn’t care for him but Ananya came off really good in their episode. Samantha was a favorite because of the witty back and forth, she held her own despite the potential for awkwardness. Aamir-Kareena had old-school vibes which I thoroughly enjoyed and again proved to me that KwK is best when Karan is not allowed to dominate!

    What I wanted to talk about is the story of how Kareena got cast in LSC. Aamir revealed they were initially looking at a younger 25 year old actress so that they wouldn’t have to de-age her. Then they saw the actress and Kareena together in an ad and felt Kareena would be perfect for the part even if they have to de-age her. Meanwhile it was a given that he himself would be obviously de-aged because of course no one but him can play the part! This lack of self-awareness regarding actors’ ages rubbed me the wrong way. It revealed that no matter how much we want age-appropriate women opposite older actors it’s never going to happen, because one of the top actors sees nothing wrong with casting a 25 year old opposite his 57 year old self!

    Like

    • It isn’t just the age thing. I mean that is bad, but the idea that the girl is so replaceble – that her cost is more important than her acting. I’m sure Aamir thinks he is enlightened, and that his decision to use Kareena proves his enlightenment, when in fact it shoes how terribly sexist the world is.

      I wish Kareena would make another all women movie. It was a success, why didn’t she do it again?

      Like

      • You’re right! I couldn’t fully put my finger on why it was irking me, but you said it well. Also in the Akshay episode, he said he misses his 90s heroines, and I thought why don’t you work with them then? They’re all around!

        With Kareena, it seems she only chooses from what is offered to her. She’s not someone who takes initiative to make a project happen, she’s very old school in that way. The only people making all-women movies were Sonam-Rhea and Sonam seems to have retired, and Zoya-Farhan who are doing the PC-Kat-Alia movie.

        Like

        • Okay. I am watching the episode now and surprisingly, I did not find Amir’s comment offensive. I thought I would especially after reading your comments. But what I found refreshing was how honest Amir was being. Maybe it’s because I see Akshay and frankly all the other “legacy” actors being so politically correct, having Amir just say literally how “stupid” his thought process was was just great. It’s a sexist industry. Actors know de-aging is expensive and want that money to be spent on them. Amir didn’t shy away from admitting that. Okay, I’ll add more as I see the rest of the episode.

          Like

          • See, what’s really stupid is that you have to de-age at all. But that gets into the whole “people can only relate to coming of age stories/there are no new young stars at the same level as the 90s actors” problem. And that’s a whole “Indian society only allows non-householders to have adventures” and “the social/economic/internet changes have killed the star system” thing.

            On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 2:16 PM dontcallitbollywood < comment-reply@wordpress.com> wrote:

            >

            Like

        • Oh one more thing. Maybe it’s just me. But I actually liked that Aamir spoke Hindi. I’m sure it was strategic but I couldn’t help but think, okay, he’s just more comfortable speaking it when he’s expressing himself. I remember an interview with Imraan Khan when he said Aamir watched his film and his first critique was that the target audience is a common man and the film has way too much English in it.

          Like

          • I had the same reaction re: Aamir speaking in Hindi/Urdu. It was lovely to hear him speaking so naturally and fluently in Hindi/Urdu and served as a subtle reminder that Bollywood is supposed to be the Hindi Film industry! I had similarly positive reaction to Alia Bhatt’s interview with WPost where she occasionally slipped in a “haan” or “na” in her responses to the white guy who was interviewing her.:-) I’m not sure why, but the unconsciously lapsing into Hindi made me think better of her.

            Liked by 1 person

          • Yes! It’s also such a class sign, and a reminder that the Hindi film industry used to be made up of outsiders and moneyless folks who weren’t part of the English speaking elite. Alia today gets all those “nepotism” slams, but her childhood was much more average and Hindi speaking than a lot of the new “outsiders” from rich families.

            On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 4:30 PM dontcallitbollywood < comment-reply@wordpress.com> wrote:

            >

            Like

          • Yeah it was nice. I think we all know that their generation of actors is as comfortable with Hindi as with English.

            It did cross my mind that he was speaking mainly from a technical point of view because de-aging two actors is more costly than de-aging one. Maybe you’re right. Let’s see what he does for his next project which will take another 5 years! I wouldn’t put Akshay in the same category because he acts like he doesn’t even understand the issue. When Karan asked him, he was all ‘do I look 55? Why shouldn’t I act with girls half my age?’

            Like

          • Again, BHARAT! You can make this movie without de-aging the heroine at all, and still give her a strong role! Just, don’t do a “childhood once and forever love” kind of love story. Sigh.

            On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 6:02 PM dontcallitbollywood < comment-reply@wordpress.com> wrote:

            >

            Like

          • YES! Aamir in particular, with his dyslexia and not finishing college and so on, I know he is fluent in English, but I am sure he is more comfortable speaking the language he learned before school.

            On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 2:19 PM dontcallitbollywood < comment-reply@wordpress.com> wrote:

            >

            Like

      • There’ve been lots of female producer/actresses who tried to make movies based on themselves and leads and somehow they haven’t hit, the promos or something weren’t quite right. Maybe Veere Di Wedding was a hit because Kareena just did her job as the biggest name lead actor, and someone else did the job of being producer?

        On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 12:27 PM dontcallitbollywood < comment-reply@wordpress.com> wrote:

        >

        Like

    • Shout out for Bharat!!!! Kat was cast after Priyanka, two fairly age appropriate choices, and the script was structured for that. It was a decade long story, but they kept the de-aging sequence short and left the heroine out of it. And then they wrote in a heroine who was age appropriate for the hero and the actor and made it work.

      On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 11:06 AM dontcallitbollywood < comment-reply@wordpress.com> wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

  3. This season has been overall disappointing so far, but I think the last two episodes were much better because they were “older” stars with whom Karan has history and more genuine relationship to and he’s not trying as hard to be cool.

    Just watched Sonam and Arjun and I have to say they are both utterly charming. Shiva No. 1 was one of the funniest moments ever on KWK and Arjun kissing Sonam on the cheek when she supported him about Malaika was adorable. think if I could be a member of any Bollywood family, I would want to be a member of that Kapoor family. Loved the stories of their childhood. I always like the episodes with family members together, especially siblings.

    If you recall from my old comments, I was a Hrithik and Saif fangirl first. Can’t wait to see them in the same movie soon! They’ll always be my first faves, but you also might remember how much I swooned over Arjun from day one. I find him so fascinating. He does come off better almost in his interviews than in some of his movies. His friendly chemistry with Tara Sutaria was shall we say interesting in the Ek Villain Returns promotions. He’s such an interesting combination of protective big brother, insecure teddy bear, and intense striver. And on top of that he’s smoking hot (those thighs and that scary/sexy smile!) and doesn’t completely know how to own it yet. I did find it sweet and very telling that he wants to be in a Karan Johar film because he wants Karan to make him a “good looking hero.” I also think he is truly underrated as an actor and I’m not sure why he gets so much trolling. Even if he is a star kid, he hasn’t had a particularly easy life and he’s made some really fascinating choices in his career and his personal life. I hope that he and Malaika can last forever because I think she has helped settle him so much, but I thought it very telling that he said he wanted to focus on his career first. Funny when on the show they were teasing him about his “slutty” years. I guess this was the time he dated Arpita (for two years) and Sonakshi and maybe Athiya…that doesn’t seem particularly slutty, especially because after losing the weight he probably felt like having some fun like any young guy. I will always wonder what happened between him and Sonakshi though. I think there is some unfinished business there. Also wonder what his relationship with Salman is like now, too.

    Lots of fun tidbits int his episode like Sonam calling Shahid Kapoor. I for one loved Mausam and thought they were a sweet pairing. I can totally see her double dating with Shahid and their significant others. I do hope she doesn’t stay away from acting for too long.

    Liked by 2 people

    • “” He’s such an interesting combination of protective big brother, insecure teddy bear, and intense striver. And on top of that he’s smoking hot (those thighs and that scary/sexy smile!) and doesn’t completely know how to own it yet.””

      I couldn’t write it better. ❤

      Like

    • Oh man, I may have to watch this episode. Just because Arjun is such a fascinating human person, and I am delighted to know that Sonam openly supported him and Malaika, and that he openly talked about Malaika.

      On Wed, Aug 10, 2022 at 9:17 PM dontcallitbollywood < comment-reply@wordpress.com> wrote:

      >

      Like

      • It’s one of the better episodes in the last few seasons I think. He really is Mr. Congeniality like they are calling him but he can also be brutally honest. It’s some smart branding at the very least. Sonam is always fun to listen to because she knows exactly who she is and I love that her love of reading gets mentioned regularly. She’s, of course, much smarter that she lets on.

        I’m under no false impression that Arjun is perfect, of course;) I do think he sometimes gets lazy but I can identify with that and he is self-aware and is clearly working on that by doing more films and challenging himself both with the body work and his body of work (hehe!). I will watch Ek Villain Returns when it streams and hope to be able to get through the ridiculousness just so I can watch him on screen, but I’m definitely excited about his future projects, too. Looks like that Diljit/Arjun gangsters in Canada film is back on track. I still don’t think he (or Parineeti) got enough praise for Sandeep aur Pinky Farrar. And I really liked Sardar Ka Grandson and Bhoot Police and he was perfect in those roles. Really think the former was underrated…it was a lovely film.

        On the KWK episode he talked briefly about owning his physicality more, his imposing stature, and I think that’s smart. He said somewhere in EVR promotions that he sees Ajay’s career as the trajectory he’d like (and I can see that with his director/producer brain). He also idolizes Hrithik which I think is so cute! The Malaika relationship is very sweet and I love how they have made it public. I wouldn’t put my money on it as the endgame relationship for both of him, but I’m hoping for it.

        Liked by 1 person

        • I’m really hoping it is his endgame relationship! I’m sure he’s getting pressure to pick some nice proper young thing to be his proper wife and mother. But stay with Malaika if she makes you happy! You don’t have to follow the script.

          Oh! I know what it reminds me of! Prince Charles and Camilla. If they force Arjun to marry some young thing, I feel like all three of them are just going to be miserable and in 20 years he’ll be publicly back with Malaika anyway.

          On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 9:34 AM dontcallitbollywood < comment-reply@wordpress.com> wrote:

          >

          Like

        • Arjun and Sonam are both brutally honest in their interviews, which is why I am so excited for this episode. Plus, Arjun, Sonam, Rhea, and Anshula grew up together practically in each other households. So, there is just so much warmth and familiarity there. For example, I wouldn’t be surprised with Sonam and Arjun had a secret language or code where they can just look at each other and know what the other is thinking.

          I don’t see Arjun and Malaika ever getting married. They seem happy and comfortable and if it doesn’t work out, I think they will amicably part.

          I also, agree with you that if I had to pick any Hindi film family to be a part of, it would be Anil’s family. I also genuinely want to be friends with Sonam. I am just such a huge fan of hers. I think she is underrated. I have enjoyed most of her movies, expect Raanjhanna because its just a horrible movie. I might be the only one that really liked Zoya Factor and I can and have watched Khoobsurat way too many times for comfort. I think Hrithik and Sonam and the two people that I can fan girl around any day!

          Looking forward to adding more after I watch the episode.

          Like

          • Totally agree, filmikudhi! You can definitely see their natural sibling relationship in this episode and the McDonald’s story is funny and Arjun is adorably self-effacing.

            I think there are too many wedding rumors for Arjun and Malaika for them not to be somewhat rooted in fact, but I will be very surprised if it happens, too. But I can totally see him making the choice not to be a parent and to just be a cool stepdad and uncle, but I also just think the societal pressure and, honestly, the biological imperative shit on his part will take over and that could lead them to amicably part as you say. Still they could adopt or maybe do surrogacy if they really wanted kids together!

            And I’m with you about Sonam’s film. I think I have liked almost all of them except Raanjhanna as well. Khoobsurat is so many people’s easy comfort watch including one of mine! I also liked Zoya Factor and I Hate Luv Storys a lot. I also even own the DVD for Dolly Ki Doli, an underrated true female-led comedy with one of my favorite special appearances ever by Saif.

            Like

  4. I’ve been keeping up with all of the KWK episodes and really enjoyed last night’s Vicky and Sid episode, despite Karan’s increasingly pathetic attempts to stir shit up and crass jokes. I’m not a prude…he just used to be more sly and fun with his schtick. Both Vicky and Sid do seem like two nice, grounded guys. And Sid’s sexiness and suaveness (that voice is still distinctively sexy) can really take you by surprise because he looks so vanilla. Does seem like he and Kiara and are headed for marriage which is nice and what is in the air lately?! I guess it’s just the age that all of them are now, but they are pairing up like crazy. Obviously many stars have married out side of the industry recently, too (Shahid, Sonam, Varun), but so many stars are pairing up recently. I know there is certainly precedent for this and it makes sense because of forced proximity, common experience, etc. but is it more than usual?

    I do love the gossipy side of the industry when it’s good-natured and always wish the best for all of the stars. I’ll be very curious to see who Parineeti and Sonakshi end up with…I think Sonakshi is with the guy from that Kashmir/Notebook film who was pretty good in it. I always thought that Parineeti would end up with Maneesh Sharma but sounds like she’s with a businessman now? So very Juhi of her and that kind of makes sense for her as they are very similar actresses.

    Like

    • I remember that Parineeti has an MBA maybe? And comes froma classy business family, the acting was kind of an unexpected development. So marrying a businessman would make sense.

      Like

  5. Wow, during Phone a Friend,
    Vicky’s first phone call was to Sid’s gf Kiara! That’s a power move right there lol! I wonder whose idea that was – Vicky’s,
    Katrina’s, or Kiara’s?

    Then, maybe to hit back with a power move of his own, Sid’s next call was to Adi, the most reclusive power broker in the industry! And maybe Vicky’s current employer on his upcoming movies.

    Ah, that was fun!

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.