Happy Birthday Shilpa! You aren’t the most talented or trained of actresses, but you are definitely one of the most loveable! In honor of your birthday, 23 reasons that I love you, one for each year since Baazigar.
1. I love you because your first movie was opposite Shahrukh and you were adorable together! Even when he was throwing you off a building.
2. I love you because you slimmed down and straightened your hair and learned how to dance (or at least fake it better) between Baazigar and your film after next, Main Khiladi Tu Anari (which is also my favorite action film of the 90s)
3. I love you because you continued to be the sexy awesome happy dancing lady in action movies for years.
4. I love you because you took a classic “street performer” number and made it sexy and confident, even though you really only knew three dance moves.
5. I love you because you weren’t afraid to be even sexier and more confident 8 years later, in one of my all time favorite item numbers
6. And even when you are surrounded by big name (well, bigg-ish name) male stars, you can still hold your own!
7. I love you because in Phir Milenge, you not only played an HIV positive character, you played a career woman who has sex outside of marriage.
8. I love you because, a few years after that, in Life…In A Metro, you played a married woman considering an affair.
9. And I love you because you have always handled your personal life with grace, whether it was enduring racist slurs on Celebrity Big Brother UK, or your husband being accused of match-fixing in the IPL.
10. I love you because you weren’t too proud to do an item number in the first movie you produced through your own studio.
11. I love you because you also aren’t to proud to be in a straight up T-series music video for Mika Singh.
12. And finally, for this song, I will always love you forever and ever. It’s so brilliantly stupid!