Tabu is 45 today! Not the biggest star, at least not any more, but one I am inordinately fond of. So, 14 reasons I love her, for the age she was when she made her first film.
1.1. I love you because you played Dev Anand’s daughter in 1985 at age 14. Becoming one of the many many actresses discovered by Dev, and starting at a younger age than most other actresses.
2. I love you because you started as a heroine in Telugu films, Coolie No. 1, after playing that child role in Hindi films, and then coming back to Hindi films in Pehla Pehla Pyar 3 years about Coolie No. 1. You didn’t mind the lag time between the two films, or moving between industries.
3. I love you because when you finally got some momentum in your career, you hit the ground running. After having a hit in Vijaypath in 1995, you had 8 releases in 1996. Including one Tamil, one Telugu, and one Malayalam (Kalapani, which is on my list).
4. I love you because this song is fabulous and it is mostly on you! The way you sell it as just pure happiness.
5. I love you because you where the lead in the first Tamil movie I ever saw, and you were brilliant! And also, this song is great.
6. I love you because while you were in a deep and emotionally complex Tamil remake of Sense and Sensibility, you were also in a massive Rajshri multi-starrer.
7. I love you because you starred in a very different kind of movie with Mohnish Behl a few years after Hum Saath Saath Hain, Astitva.
8. I love you because somehow, despite starting out playing the heroine in a series of action movies, you turned into the acknowledged art actress of Hindi film. And still made movies like Hera Pheri.
9. I love you because you were one of the first “cross-over” actresses, cast in the critical darling The Namesake in America. And then I love you even more because you did the one interesting role, and then returned to India, with no interest in pursuing an American career.
10. I love you because you stopped by the Main Hoon Na set to visit your friend Farah Khan, and agreed to do a random cameo.
11. I love you because you were in Cheeni Kum! Taking a risk on an impossible plot and an unknown director.
12. I love you because you reunited with your Maqbool director for Haider, talking the Gertrude role and making it even bigger.
13. I love you because you were the only decent part of Fitoor.
14. And finally, I love you because you can also play an over-the-top Punjabi housewife opposite Anil Kapoor!