Monday Morning Questions Post, Baahubali Week!!!

Baahubali 2 is finally here!  After such a very very very very very long wait!  I am debating whether I spring for the $25 opening week tickets or keep holding off in hopes that the prices drop.  In the meantime, distract me with questions!

Feel free to ask me anything from the personal (“how many times have you seen Baahubali?”) to the specific (“why was Baahubali such a big deal?”) to the general discussion question (“does anyone not like Baahubali?  Why or why not?”).

As always, the only rule is that you have to let me answer first!  Otherwise it is no fun.  But once I have answered, feel free to leap in with your own comments.

95 thoughts on “Monday Morning Questions Post, Baahubali Week!!!

1. I was looking for trailer of Lahoriye with english subtitles but couldnt find it.
    I will just post a review of it.

It is a good trailer. I was able to see that Amrinder and Sargun belongs to neighbouring villages but on different sides of border. It is their love story.

Trailer had perfect mix of humor and love. Sets are beautiful and authentic. It shows real villages. Its humor doesnt look forced. It is simple and sweet.
    Music is absoluetly delight. If i there were english subtitles i would have sent its song Akhar. It is a gem. Amrinder gill needs no introduction as a singer.
    Sargun looks very beautiful. AMRINder gill delivers his lines with innocence. He has an innocent face. Even his looks are simple. He looks good but not a big star good. He looks normal good. Even his hairstyle shows it. It always slightly unkept.
    I think that it will be really good. But it is early to judge movie on its trailer. But it gives vibes of Angrej.

• Yes, but not necessarily this week, or this month. At some point. I never forget movie recommendations, but I get like 3 a day from people on the blog, so I can’t watch them all right away. The next movie I will probably be watching is Su Su Sudhi Vathmeekam, a Malayalam movie, which was first recommended to me a year ago, and then again very strongly 2 and a half months ago. I’ve been planning to watch it for 2 and a half months, and this weekend is the first time I will have a chance.

I live alone, so I like to have the TV on for company while I blog (or fold laundry or send emails or whatever), so I rewatch movies I have seen before, or a lot of American TV shows, but if I am watching something for the first time, I have to really really pay attention, and not do anything else for 3 hours, and that can only happen maybe once or twice a week.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 8:12 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Okay, I can perhaps understand.

But do post your reviews of Punjabi movies when you see them. I come here only to promote Punjabi movies.

• It was interesting, I know Gadar so well, so it was interesting learning what had changed. I think I commented on it back on the post where you posted it.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 8:14 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I checked. You did write something. You saw it while keeping Gadar in mind. I am huge Sunny Deol fan. More than huge actually. I cant crticise Gadar in any sense or my dad will beat me up.

• Nothing, really. I know they are Punjabi celebrities, and that’s it.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 8:18 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• The you must know about them,

Gippy Grewal will be making his bollywood debut this year with farhan akhtar

Regarding Gurdas maan just follow this chart for the level of Punjabi singers

Bad Singers>>>>Talented SIngers>>>>Stars>>>>>>Legends>>>>>>>>>>Gurdas Maan

Satinder Sartaj falls under legends tag

2. Why is Honey Singh is more popular than Amrinder gill?
    Why are Punjabi songs associated with Honey Singh not Amrinder Gill?

• Honey Singh had a new sound, and new is always easier to promote than old. That’s my guess, I don’t really know, music isn’t my strong suit.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 8:19 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I didn’t understand your new sound part. But if you understood Punjabi songs then you would have said Amrinder Gill is a much better singer than Honey singh. His songs are not based on vulgarity. He sings songs about love and breakups.

• I haven’t, as I said in response to your other question, I really only have time to watch one or two new movies a week (in addition to the movie I see in the theater on Friday). I missed it in theaters, and now I have to wait until it hits Redbox to rent it in America.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 8:20 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• So sad,

You missed an brilliant movie and Hugh Jackman’s farewell. As a movie goer, i feel sad for a fellow movie goer

3. I am sending some videos. Please review them.
    Last time you sort of complained about showing village guy as superior. One of the songs will have entire western cast.

• I will try, but please remember that I have limited time. I can’t watch Videos at work, and I can’t focus on videos at home while I am also doing dishes or laundry or blogging. I will watch and comment when I get a chance, which may be tonight, or may not be for a week.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 8:35 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Not really. So far, it looks like the kind of silly comedy that I don’t much enjoy. Plus, I never watched the original show, so I have no connection to it.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 8:59 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It doesn’t look silly to me. It looks slapstick to me. I also haven’t seen original show

But

It has The Rock and Priyanka Chopra. It looks cool. I love both of them. One is my childhood icon and second my teenage crush.

I am just sad that The Rock wont be coming to India to promote it. I would have loved seeing his signature lines in kapil Sharma show.

• Is the second part releasing in your area? If so, I encourage you to watch Baahubali now and then part 2 in a couple days when it is in theaters. It’s really a movie that does better on the big screen, so you should do what you can to see part 2 that way, even if you missed part 1.

Also, I have a couple massive Baahubali posts scheduled this week, so you might want to watch it now so you can read and comment along on the blog!

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:11 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh shoot! How about streaming? Do you get access to the streaming rights at the same time as the rest of the world? Baahubali was up on streaming by about 2-3 weeks after it left theaters, and 2 will probably be the same. So if you watch 1 now, you would only have about 2 and a half months to wait for 2. Which is still an awfully long time 🙂

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 1:54 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• No Baahubali on Netflix Italia, don’t know about other streaming sites. I guess I will wait a little more and watch both parts on dvd.

• It should be on googleplay etc., but then you have to pay for it, so you might as well just get the DVD.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 4:09 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Have you heard that Diljit will be playing Superhero in his upcoming film? Super Singh. I am excited but I get Flying Jatt vibes from it. Although, DIljit will be more authentic Jatt. Moreover, it is produced by Ekta Kapoor. She produced worst TV show and single handedly destroyed Indian Tv

Also Carry of Jatta 2 is anounced finally

• I think I saw the poster for Diljit’s new movie somewhere, and I also got Flying Jatt vibes. Which is odd, since that was also produced by Ekta’s company. And was not very successful, so strange they would go back to the same idea.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:38 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• May be they thought of capitalising in Diljit’s popularity. I said it first time that Diljit woulf have been better choice for Flying Jatt.
        I should be excited about it but i am not
        And you are asumming that Ekta Kapoor is rational. She ran some of the worst things on TV for years only because they were cash cows.

• It was cute! Pretend-Alia didn’t get to say much about herself, but it was still cute.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:41 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• You suggested an improvement
        I couldnt figure out what she will say. It was from my POV. I rarely allow people to speak. It was inspired from my incident last week. I was in mumbai , i went to a lounge. DJ was playing hindi songs. I went over therr and asked him to play Punjabi songs. And after sometime entire crowd was dancing.
        I thought about exaggerating and taking it to Alia Bhatt. Making her like Punjabi songs and burning my friends with jealousy is my second best fantasy. I will write my biggest fantasy about her if i will be in mood.
        Making people dance to Pendu songs is dream of Punjabi boys

• I’m neutral, I haven’t watched any of the previous seasons, so it doesn’t really make a difference to me.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 12:11 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• You havent seen even a singlw episode of Game of Thrones?
        It is a must watch TV show. And you get it for free over there. I pay money to watch it.

• We don’t get it for free over here. It’s a different pay schedule, but I would still have to pay, which is why I haven’t seen it.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 12:26 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes, it’s a pay channel. If you add it to your basic cable, it could be $50-$100 more a month, depending on where you live. You can also use an online option, which is about $20 a month I think and just gives you access to HBO. That second option, online, was added within the past year, partly because of GoT. So many people were pirating it and putting copies on the internet, that HBO decided to just come up with a pay legal way to make it available.

I think I mentioned to you before that it is hard to judge the impact of pay channel shows like GoT in the US, because the number of people who pay to watch legally is very very small. And there is no way to measure the number of people who watch it illegally.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 4:30 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. Have you seen any of the Indipop songs of the ’90s featuring Shahid, Amrita Rao, Vidya Balan,Priyanka Chopra, John Abraham…. the list goes on. But were any of them memorable? Would you have considered any of them as star material just going by their performance in the video?

• I have seen, like, 2. The Nahin Nahin Abhi Nahin one with Ayesha Takia (and I loved her in that and definitely saw star potential!). And the one where Salman Khan makes a cameo, don’t remember the name, but I know Bhushan Kumar’s wife was in it.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 12:12 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. What do you mean by responding to emotions in Bollywood movies? You and many others 9n this blogs keeps on mentioning it. Can yoi elaborate it?

• It’s not just that the films make us feel emotional, it’s that they are written with the goal of evoking emotions in the audience above all else. Not to make us think, but to make us feel. And this is frankly stated by scriptwriters and actors and directors in plenty of interviews, that is the starting point for all Indian drama, to try to evoke emotions. It goes all the way back to medieval times and the Rasa and Bhava theories of drama.

Hollywood cinema, for a whole variety of historical reasons mostly related to gender, has moved further and further away from emotions. You yourself may feel more emotions in response to a Hollywood film than an Indian film, but that was not the intent. Hollywood scriptwriters don’t talk about mixing a sad scene and a comic scene and a love scene, they talk about the plot. Whereas Indian scriptwriters very consciously talk about mixing emotions over plot.

An ideal movie of course would have a strong logical plot, as well as characters who feel things and who evoke feelings in the audience. Sholay, for instance, manages both sides. So does The Godfather. Or Star Wars. But most films can’t handle both requirements. In India, they would rather throw out the plot and leave the emotions. In America, they would rather keep the plot and throw out the emotions.

What I watch movies for, and what a lot of my readers watch movies for, is those emotions. We want to feel something when we watch a film, otherwise it is pointless. So for us, we would rather see an Indian film that makes us cry even if the plot doesn’t hold together, than an American film with a brilliant plot where we never feel anything for any of the characters.

As I said, there is a gendered level to this. One form of gender violence and prejudice has always been men accusing women of being “too emotional”. As film in America became more respected as a legitimate art form, instead of the low entertainment it was in its early days, then more and more the romantic films were insulted, ignored, considered somehow “less than”. The same thing, unfortunately, is beginning to happen in India. It’s a different area, but it is related to when men tell women they are imagining sexual assault, that they should “just get over” something, that anything they are feeling has no value.

And so, on this blog, we openly talk about our emotions and our response to films including those emotions, and that is part of making it a safe female space. And saying that emotions don’t matter, or aren’t a good way to view films or, worst of all, saying that we have no right to have those emotional responses to a movie, can feel like an attack. Not a huge attack, more like a little pinch on the arm kind of an attack, but an attack nonetheless.

That’s probably more information than you needed, but that is what is going on when we talk about our emotions.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 4:35 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I still didnt get it. I dont respond emotionally to bollywood. I feel like plot is more important. I respond more to Hollywood movies.
        My first gf thohmumř
        But i found your response was scary.
        I should stick only with Punjabi cinema over here

• My previous response was left incomplete.
          I have been watching Hollywood movies longer than you have been watching Bollywood. My GF loved hollywood more than bollywood, my mother does, every mentor of mine did( one didnt likr action movies, she thought of them as brutish and called me a brute). Yes, I dont respond to those emotion. I dont understand this response part
          But i think i can understand how you feel. My female friends teased me as a barbarian for not liking Romantic movies and preference for action and horror movies.
          I will limit myself to Punjabi movies. I already discuss Hollywood movies on other blogs.

7. I am curios about your book. But Does it insult hollywood entertainment in any way? Hollywood entertainment has been a part of my childhood and adulthood. I wont like my nostalgia be insulted. Just wanna be sure before looking for it.

• I don’t think it does. I’m not sure what you would consider insulting. It praises Indian film, but that shouldn’t take away from American film in any way.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 4:40 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• It is just that sometimes you write things which are offensive
        Like calling Flying Jatt more watchable than The Dark Knight, praising movies like r rajkumar but not even watching movies like fences, civil war, going out of your way to undermine hollywood cinema on quora. I saw some of your answers over there.
        Sorry if that was lil rude.

• Those aren’t really statements that are meant to be offensive, those are just opinions. Plus, Margaret always makes sure to give context to the statements that she makes. For example, she said that the Flying Jatt is more watchable than The Dark Knight in a family setting with kids. As a kid, me and my friends always happened to enjoy more colorful movies with comedy rather than darker movies with action. When you look at those two movies through that lens, then Flying Jatt will seem more watchable for a family audience.

• Okay,
            Looks like I am raised differently. I like dark action movies like First Blood since childhood. I do like comedy.
            I think thay everyone is wired differently. Hahahaha.
            I feel like odd man out.

• That’s true, everyone’s experiences and the way they were raised ends up effecting their likes and dislikes. My parents have never been really a fan of Hollywood movies so I’ve never watched them frequently growing up other than Animated movies. Since I’ve been watching them since I could remember, I enjoy and prefer Indian and animated movies to Hollywood movies. Like you mention being nostalgic when watching Punjabi songs, I also feel nostalgic when I see scenes from Kuch Kuch Hota Hai or watch Chaiyya Chaiyya.

• Actually, my nostalgia from Punjabi songs is different from your nostalgia from K2H2. When I watch Punjabi songs I feel nostalgic about my old lifestyle, my life in village, college etc. Village and college scence gives me a glimpse of older, simpler times. Songs and movies are pretty new actually.
            If have to be nostalgic like you, I will feel nostalgic after watch Ducktales, Small Wonder, Talespin, Aladin, Attitude era WWF, Rambo, First James Bond movie I ever saw etc. Even when I watch cartoons with my nephoews and nieces, I always taunt them “we had real entertainment in my day”. Or some TV shows that came later like That so Raven, Suite life of Zack and cody. My interest in english entertainment grew from animation. Also, I didn’t watch Hollywood from starting. No one in my family knew english. My neighbors used to watch Hollywood movies. I saw movies with them. All things that I mentioned were dubbed in hindi apart from WWF. Sometimes there were some movies dubbed in hindi aired like Rambo 2 and 3, Terminator. I loved them I got DVD player and watched movies like Die Hard, Sudden Death, Dracula etc dubbed in hindi. But slowly my english improved and now I could understand movies even without subtitles. I enjoyed them even more.
            Now I think that there were some Bollywood tropes that I never liked e.g songs. We used to change channels whenever there was a song. I considered them a waste of time.

But I agree with you. Everyone has one’s choice. I dont think them as good or even tolerable but it exists. I have been called a brute, barbarian by my female friends for not liking DDLJ or other romantic movies.

8. Have you bought your tickets for Baahubali 2 yet?!? I already have; I’m going on Sunday evening. Also, are you planning on rewatching Baahubali before or have you already done it?

• I rewatched it in my head over the weekend while writing super detailed posts about it (going up today and tomorrow). And I just bought tickets for thursday, freakishly expensive, but I decided it was worth it. Remember my friend who has the same birthday as Varun? It’s her birthday present, and she is turning 30, so I decided the expense was justified.

• Nice, by the way are you watching in Telugu or Hindi? The Telugu version premiere in IMAX is selling for $40 dollars down here.

Also Happy Birthday to your friend, Dina! I do enjoy your podcasts with her 🙂

• Fascinating! If I understand it correctly, not only was it one take, it was the only take. Which I kind of suspected, with the fireworks and the crowd and all, you couldn’t really do it twice.

9. I started a comment and then I’m not sure if I sent it, so excuse any duplicate posts! So I’m having like 16 women over to my place this Friday for a movie and cocktails. Of course, I’m going to pick a Hindi romance film. At first I was going to pick Befikre, Humpty, or Shaandaar because I thought they would be light and easy, but then I was thinking since this is the first Hindi film for many of them, I thought maybe Ram-Leela since it’s a familiar plot and it’s awesome.

What do you think?

• Well, my first reaction is in instinctive “Blech, Bhansali!” But that’s just because I personally can’t stand him (except Khamoshi), and not a really helpful reaction for party planning.

The many many many times I have introduced people to Indian film, I have had enormous luck with Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham. Because it is so over the top that you can talk over it and laugh about it, but also enjoy it sincerely in certain scenes (bangles!).

But for this group, if it is so many people and all female, I think you can probably go a little bit more serious. Having so many people could be good, then it is a real viewing party, not just a chat with friends with a movie on in the background. I like where your mind is with Befikre and Humpty Sharma, but I agree that they aren’t just right. Befikre isn’t Indian enough, and Humpty Sharma is too Indian.

I have had surprisingly good luck with Jhoom Barabar Jhoom in that kind of situation, the costumes and songs are so gloriously consciously tacky, but the story and acting are sincere. Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi might be another good one. Or Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani. Or 2 States. Heck, go old school and do Mujshe Dosti Karoge! Or if you really want an over the top romance, can’t go wrong with Yash Chopra, you could do Jab Tak Hain Jaan or Veer-Zaara. Oh! Jab We Met! Although that might be back to the too Indian side of things.

On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 3:13 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• OK, you’ve only complicated things more, but that’s OK;)! For some reason, I hadn’t realized that you don’t like SLB. My old roommate who I forced to watch many Hindi films loves RamLeela and it’s one of her favorites, plus I brought some relatively newbie friends to see it in the theater and they liked it, too. I’m drawn to it because of the familiar story and the fact that it’s kind of what people expect from a “Bollywood” film (don’t worry I educate people, too, on why that’s a problematic term:)), yet they will definitely be surprised by the overt sexuality and raunchiness which I like. Also, I think there are a couple of shock and awe moments that will keep people who drift interested.

Exactly why I couldn’t pick between Befikre (not Indian enough) and Humpty (too Indian). Shaandaar was the wild card because I love it, the dancing and songs are good, the anti-body shaming message is good, but it’s also not too Indian (though there are some in-jokes about the Sindhis) and it may just be too weird.

I think K3G is just too long, but for those who come back for more, I will do a Sunday afteroon viewing of that on someday.

Jhoom Barabar Jhoom is an interesting option and Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi. I’m putting those in the pile of possibilities. I could see those working. Yeh Jawaani and 2 States are a little slow in parts and may be too serious. I think people have to be Hrithik fans first to like Mujhse Dosti Karoge, but my roommate really liked it, too. I’ve had a lot with getting people hooked on Hrithik first. Bang Bang is a great option but two of the people coming have already seen it.

Jab We Met is probably too Indian and Veer-Zaara is too depressing until the end. And I will never watch JTHJ again if I can avoid it despite liking parts of it.

OK, so JBJ and RNBDJ are still in the mix with Ram Leela.

I was also wondering about Queen? It’s got such an indie vibe that it doesn’t feel like a good intro to Hindi films to me.

• I don’t like SLB to the point of not wanting to show it to other people even if I think they will enjoy it because I don’t want his fame to spread any further. If you ever feel like reading me really take down a film, check out my Bajirao Mastani and Devdas reviews.

Oooo, Bang Bang! I forgot about that one. In the past year or so, it’s knocked out JBJ (if they don’t have much time) and K3G (if they have the time) as my top film for newbies. I feel exactly the same way about JTHJ!!!!!! It’s the only SRK movie in years that I have only seen once in theaters. And I bought the DVD, but only to watch the extra features (grand premier red carpet footage!).

When you said all women, the first thing I thought of was Queen and English/Vinglish. Those are great films for a sort of Thelma and Louise type evening (I’ve pulled them out a few times when my friends have come over after boyfriend fights announcing “Love is dead! Men are scum!”). But I wasn’t sure if you wanted something more romantic and representative, because they certainly aren’t the usual Indian film.

• Main Hoon Na! I just remembered. That’s also done well for me in these kinds of groups. You need enough focus to really appreciate the complications of the plot, along with the comedy, and then people just love it. Om Shanti Om, on the other hand, almost never works. Everyone loves Dard-E-Disco, but then the rest of it is way too inside-jokey. Bunty Aur Babli too.

• Not much of a fan of Main Hoon Na and everyone always does recommend Om Shanti Om, but I’ve never tried it for these types of things because it’s so inside baseball.

• You don’t like Main Hoon Na???? You shock me!!!! And yes, my friends who already know the films always try to get me to show Om Shanti Om when they bring new people, because it is so fun if you already like the movies, and I always refuse, because it is kind of off-putting if you don’t.

• I think it was the unappealing secondary couple and the fact that Suniel Shetty was the bad guy and I like him too much as the gruff but kind brother-type. I re-watched it recently and did like it more than I remembered. SRK’s preppy look is quite appealing.

• After many re-watches, my friends and I have decided Main Hoon Na is best watched from the perspective of Percy as the hero. He gets the woman he loves, gives her up nobly for the greater good, punches out a bad guy, and ends up with an even better girl at the end. Oh, and helps defeats a bunch of terrorists who take the school captive. Shahrukh and Zayed, they are just background to Percy’s adventures.

• Lol, that’s a fun way to look at it. I didn’t even realize that Percy was in love with Amritha until she mentioned that she was going to prom with Percy.

• I have a few friends that I plan to make watch this one…those that like historical romances but it’s also a little slow in parts and long. I did show it to a group of friends (guys and gals) a while back and I think it received mixed reviews. The girls who already liked Hrithik enjoyed him but there wasn’t enough true action sequences for the guys.

• Hmm, good points! I think I must usually look for movies with slow parts, because I’m usually doing more of a 3-4 person evening, and we need time for chatting and getting snacks and bathroom breaks and stuff.

• I still haven’t seen Ram-Leela so I don’t know. But what about a YRF rom-com like Mere Brother Ki Dulhan? I’ve never done this so I don’t exactly know, but I feel like MBKD would work. Or what about Wake Up Sid? Is that too serious?

• Good options, too, T.J.! MBKD is one of my all time favorite lighter romances and Madubhala is one of my favorites. I might actually put that one in the mix and maybe even Band Baaja Baarat, too. Wake Up Sid is also good for more of a low-key evening with a smaller group. I do love Konkona in that one.

• I wouldn’t say that MBKD is my favorite rom-com but I would say that it’s my favorite Imran movie and one of my favorite Katrina performances 🙂

I honestly don’t like Band Baaja Baarat much. I don’t know but it just seems too dull for some reason.

A couple more options that came to me were Khoobsurat and Daawat-e-Ishq. Khoobsurat is so fun and it’s quite light hearted, plus it’s got Fawad 🙂 . And Dawaat-e-Ishq is a decent rom-com. Nothing too special but nice enough I guess.

• Filmilibrarian can I give you a hug? You are my bollywood soulmate. I don’t like Main Hoon Na either. And I’m fan of Sunil Shetty in brother, father roles (I even own dvd of Ehsaas-A Feeling, don’t think many can say that). I’ve seen Jab Tak Hai Jaan two years ago, and I still yawn everytime I think about this movie. So boring. Not a good choice for a party.
            I would chose: Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (because it’s so good and colorful), Dawat-e-ishq (because Adithya is so charming in it) or Dum Laga Ke Haisha (just because I really like it)

• I like Dum Laga Ke Haisha as well but I feel like it’s too Indian. Plus the Hindi dialect is tough to catch on too. Getting used to the language was one thing that bothered me on my first watch. I feel like more standard Hindi with a bit of English thrown in would be easier. But then it probably won’t make any difference to someone that has never seen any Hindi movie before.

• I’m a big Imran Khan fan/apologist and I normally dislike Katrina but this one works for me because it’s a little zany and it’s got Ali Zafar, too. Plus the Yash Raj polish always goes a long way.

I do think on further watches BBB is a little slow in parts but it’s got some great star-making moments from each actor.

I’ve had some luck with Khoobusrat as a good crossover film, especially with female friend who I know like fairy-tale like rom-coms and they always do like Fawad! Never tried Daawat-e-Ishq, but it is also one of my favorites. A good one for newbies who are foodies.

• Angie, sure! My favorite Sunil Shetty roles are in Hulchul and Chup Chup Ke and even his brief cameo in Paheli is great. I actually haven’t seen enough of his filmography to truly feel like I know his work but I do need to get to that!

I’m still leaning toward Ramleela as the final choice (despite Margaret’s disdain for SLB:)) because I’m still thinking that it works for this crowd (all are librarians/archivists, except for one who’s a literary agent). One’s even a Shakespeare scholar. All of the other recs I’ve either tried in the past (mostly to good reviews) or will in the future in smaller groups.

• Ohh Sunil, I’m proud that I can say: I loved him before it was cool 🙂

@Filmilibrarian If your guest are librarians, there is only one movie to watch: Sanam Teri Kasam 😉

• Or Aiyya!!!! She works in a library there too 🙂

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 10:59 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I know about Sanam Teri Kasam, right? I certainly considered it, but as much as I love it, it is a little clunky in parts and there aren’t any dance songs really. I have teased it to some of my librarian friends and they do want to see it.

But, I think it’s good to expose people to the big stars so that they can have some takeaways when they see Deepika crossover in XXX, etc. Since Ranveer Singh graduated from IU-Bloomington and I have some librarian friends who went there for their MLS that’s also a fun connection to make for them.

I feel this weird kind of feeling of responsibility whenever I do these movie gatherings where I get to expose people to Indian films. I always want to show Hindi films at their best, so I usually go for the very high production values, cinematography, and the choreography, so even if the filmi narrative style or the music aren’t their favorite things, people still have a positive perception of the films.

Aiyyaa would also be a possibility but I’d have to fast-forward through the “comedy” plot!

• Oh, and one more thought about introducing Hindi films to new people…has anyone ever tried to introduce the films with something darker and more critically acclaimed? I know it depends on the crowd…if I had a bunch of cinephiles or film studies people coming, I would pick something like Omkara, Gangs of Wasseypur, Udta Punjab, or Kahaani. Not something art-house, world cinema, but something still filmi enough but also something that had diegetic songs or no picturizations at all.

But even when I’ve had the best luck with getting people interested in watching more of Hindi films, they usually want more of the same and it’s hard to steer them toward the other genres in “Bollywood” besides romance!

• I’ve done that very rarely, started with something actually “good”. But only if it is someone who is a cinephile, like you said, so they would actually appreciate it. And mostly because I am feeling bitter and spiteful and want to shut them up because they are terrible people.

You know the kind of person, the one who makes fun of Indian films for being light-weight and all about songs? And does that Apu-from-The-Simpsons accent? And talks about the trip they took to India and how “spiritual” and “colorful” it is there? If I have to spend time with that person (and generally I try not to), I will force them to watch something really mind-blowing just so they realize how wrong they are. I mean, I really want them to realize how wrong they are about ALL THEIR LIFE CHOICES, but just about Indian film is a start.

So I show them something like Dil Se or Kaminey or Queen, something that still has songs and isn’t some Satyajit Ray parallel thing (I also hate those people, the ones who say “I know all about Indian film, I watched Satyajit Ray on the Criterion collection”), but is also not at all what they are expecting. It never works, by the way. I show them the movie, they are all “oh wow, that’s a great movie!” And then they run it through their “limited world view” filters and start talking about how “It’s so amazing that a film like that was able to be made in such a repressive society, it’s not like the regular Indian films. Well, really it is just an imitation of [random Western Film Festival Hit that really isn’t like it at all]. I bet the director must have read about that other movie and stolen the idea.”

I guess what I am saying is, your instincts are correct, don’t bother with the more artsy movies for the first watch. And also, thank goodness I graduated from my grad school film program before punching someone in the middle of a class discussion!

On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 12:41 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Rajamouli is a producer, so he wouldn’t get a straight forward payment. He sold the Hindi rights to Dharma productions, and used that money to fund the CGI and filming process. So he wouldn’t be making a direct profit off of that.

For the rest, I am sure Great Indian Films, the distributor, paid him an enormous sum for the rights to distribute elsewhere. And if he was smart, he also negotiated a percentage of the ultimate profits.

If Prabhas was smart, he did the same thing. But I don’t know if he had that kind of flexibility, since he would have had to commit to both films at the same time, back before it was clear what landmarks they would be. He may have lost out short term, taken an enormous payment to compensate for 4 years of his time but still less than he would have made if he had percentage points. But long term, it doesn’t matter what he was paid. His career has taken an enormous leap forward, his profits from Bahubali aren’t in what he was paid for the film alone, but in what he will be paid for every film for the rest of his career now that he is the Bahubali hero.