Special Monday Malayalam Post: BAAHUBALI!!!! (Part 1) Let’s Talk About 1, Before 2 Comes Out!

BAAHUBALI!!!!!  I saw it 7 times in 10 days in the theater (Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday again, and another Tuesday), and then pre-ordered the DVD and watched it 4 more times with the few friends who had missed it in theaters.  But that was a couple months before I started the blog, so I’ve never actually written a review of it.  But now that Baahubali 2 is about to come out (FINALLY!), it’s time.  And since this is a looooooooooooooong one, I am splitting it in two days, Monday and Tuesday.  Hey, it was released in both Malayalam and Telugu/Tamil, right?

The Big Picture with Baahubali 1 is that it is the kind of rousing larger than life heroic story that only works if everyone involved really truly believes in it.  One hint of cynicism from the script, the direction, or the acting, and it would all fall apart.  But everyone here goes at it with such gusto, such joy, and such intensity, that it just soars.  It’s the kind of movie you remember from your childhood, because it is treated with the purity of a child, there are no small emotions or small moments, it’s all shining and bright and magnificent.

Image result for baahubali 1

It’s also not out of line with the tradition of films in India.  There are the mythologicals, the historicals, and the mythologicals mixed with historicals that have always been around.  Even before film, there were the stories of epic battles and blessed-by-God heroes.  While the filmmakers are attacking everything with this sense of wonder, this freshness, they are drawing on ancient story patterns, patterns so ingrained that we can understand them instinctively.

The closest comparison is really the first Star Wars movies.  Lucas went back to texts on ancient narratives before writing his script, stories of master and apprentice, epic quests, princesses, all of that.  And he went back to older film traditions as well, Flash Gordon and other sci-fi films from the 1930s, stories that the audience of the 1970s wouldn’t consciously remember but would have a vague familiarity that makes the story seem more “natural” to them, despite the space setting.  And finally, he brought in a fresh cast and a fresh crew and and convinced them somehow to commit and believe in this world he created (okay, Harrison Ford thought the whole thing was ridiculous, but that kind of works for Han Solo).

I wish I could have experienced Baahubali I as it was meant to be experienced, by someone who had grown up on the Mahabharata stories and TV shows, on older classics with epic sets and noble royal heroes, who would find this film both old and new at the same time.  But even without that background, it still felt a little familiar to me.  Not from Indian film, but from the oldest American films.

One of the first movies I remember watching was the original Zorro, the one with Douglas Fairbanks.  It’s only about an hour long, there are no special effects, and the film quality isn’t that great.  And of course it is silent, so the dialogue and story can’t be that complicated.  But Fairbanks is such a riveting hero, leaping around the room with his sword, jumping on to his horse, teasing the heroine, there’s such a childlike glee to him.  This is a 6 year old boy’s version of a hero, in a world with clear right and wrong, where battles are just for fun, and relationships are as simple as “I love you” “I hate you” and nothing else.  It’s intoxicating and wonderful and precious, to be able to capture that childlike simplicity and purity, and then bottle it up in a film that anyone can watch.

(Here’s the whole thing!  But no background music, I suggest playing a random instrumental piece while you watch it, just to add to the experience)

That’s why I came back to see Baahubali I so many times.  Because while I was watching it, I could feel like I was a child again, sitting on my mother’s lap listening to her read a fairy tale to me, being transported to a world of magic and justice and perfection, the kind of world you can only really imagine as a child, before the “real” world has driven that kind of hope out of you.

And I kind of can’t say any more than that without getting into SPOILERS.  Watch the movie because it will give you back your childhood.  And then come back here and you can read my thoughts on the plot in detail.

 

 

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When I was dragging everyone I knew to see this movie, I told them that they absolutely couldn’t be late because the first 5 minutes were super important.  And they are!  For two reasons.  Firstly, they are just a really unique and well done opening for a film.  An older woman, with an arrow sticking out of her back, carrying a baby, and fighting off attackers.  It’s feminist, it’s exciting, it gets you immediately curious for the rest of the story.

But in a larger sense, the idea of a baby being brought out of danger to a new world has such a deep almost tribal familiarity.  Moses, Krishna, even Jesus had to be brought safely from Bethlehem to Jerusalem.  Superman too, sent from Krypton to earth.  Before these stories, there was the reality, the deep human urge to send our children away from danger, to hope that they can be raised in a better world.  It’s why England sent it’s children from London to Canada during WWII, it’s why there are so many stories of refugees desperate to get their children out even if they are stuck themselves.  Heck, it’s why Kannathil Muthamittal is my favorite Mani Ratnam movie!

And the second half of this story has that same familiarity.  Just as there is a basic human understanding of the superhuman drive to save a child, the simplicity of giving up your own life if a baby can be saved, there is also a basic human understanding of the other side of it, seeing a child in distress and immediately taking it in and accepting it as your own.  Both “mothers” (really great aunt and adoptive mother) in this opening are calling on some kind of ancient pre-historic part of the human psyche, bringing the audience back before our cynicism and “logic” and desire for realism ruined our ability to believe.

The next bit is a little bit of a come down from that high.  Our hero is a naughty little boy who keeps trying to climb the waterfall.  But it is still connected, we opened with something that brought out a huge rush of instinctive needs in the audience (protecting a baby).  And now we can connect that instinctive need to the way ‘lil Prabhas is looking at the waterfall.  He’s not climbing it to be naughty or for fun or even out of stubbornness, it is just something he feels he has to do.

From a narrative building stand point, it’s good that we see Prabhas climbing and climbing at different ages.  By the end of that sequence, the audience is familiar with the setting, both of the waterfall and the idyllic forest community.  We have an accurate measure of the challenges he has to overcome to reach the top.

We don’t have an accurate measure of his ability to meet those challenges, which is where the next sequence comes in.  He tries and tries to climb the waterfall, because something is driving him on.  But there is no immediate need to accomplish it, no goal that will unlock his abilities.  That is why he has to be called away to go help his mother, who is determined to accomplish an impossible atonement, washing the Shiva lingaa over and over again.  He offers multiple ways to stop her, none of them work, and the only solution seems to be if he can remove the lingaa itself.

And this is the challenge that let’s us see his full abilities, his God-given abilities.  This is also when we see the way Prabhas has a more direct line to Shiva than even the priest.  In fact, the priest is kind of humorously useless in this sequence.  He cannot stop Prabhas’s mother from performing atonement, he cannot stop Prabhas from moving the lingaa, the power of the world is in physical rather that spiritual.  Or, rather, the spiritual is expressed in the physical.  The Priest may be there to pray and interpret the Gods for the people, but Prabhas is God-embodied.

After Prabhas moves the Lingaa, carrying it all the way to underneath the waterfall, there is this little moment of pure joy when he dances in triumph and to honor the God.  It’s an important moment, he is celebrating God, but also his achievement, the joy that comes from having risen to his destiny just now.

And that is what he does again when he finally climbs the waterfall.  The “Dhivara” sequence, to me, is the purest expression of Prabhas’s purpose in this film.  He is coming of age, coming into his own power.  That power was always there, but it needed to be unlocked, he needed an inspiration to bring it out.

This song is not about “I am a beautiful woman waiting for you”, it is about “Prince! Come into your own!!!!  Embrace your power!”  Unfortunately, for some reason the Hindi version leaned a little heavily into “I am a beautiful woman waiting for you”.  Which, along with a few other small changes between Hindi and Telugu, made the romance appear ever so slightly different as a whole.

The end of “Dhivara” is a letdown both for Prabhas and the audience.  Prabhas has been inspired to be all he can be, do all he can do.  And now that he has arrived at another figurative and literal plateau, he is craving the next challenge.  And the audience wants him to find that challenge.

The challenge isn’t what it appears to be.  We see a glimpse of Tamanah running through the forest, men chasing her.  We think Prabhas will now have to fight them all off.  But now, it’s an ambush, Tamannah was leading them into a trap and she is completely capable of saving herself.  Prabhas’ challenge is not going to be saving Tamannah in battle, it’s going to be winning her away from the battle.

I know the later bit of the film has some controversy and I’m going to do a whooooooole discussion when I get there.  But this earlier part I’ve heard objected to as well.  Why did Prabhas have to interfere with Tamannah’s life at all?  Well, because it’s boring!!!!  The first full talky scene we have of rebel band is one of the most exposition heavy and dull sections of the film.

It’s not dull by accident.  Rajamouli removed every trace of color and movement and individuality from this scene.  The rebel band, pushed to the extremes of survival and bravery, has lost the ability to “live”.  They don’t even let themselves cry any more. It’s not an accident that their symbol is the masks they wear over their faces.  Any sense of individuality or deviation from their goals has been crushed out.  Prabhas has to soften Tamannah not to make her more feminine, but to make her more human.

And then we go from this dehumanized place to a different kind of dehumanized place.  The massive weapons mines of Mahishmati.  And a different kind of dehumanized character, Kattappa (played by Sathyaraj, but he is such a distinctive character, he is getting the rare compliment of being called by the character name rather than the actor in my recap).  Kattappa, we learn, is the last of his clan, sworn to serve the ruler of Mahishmati for all time.  He is the greatest warrior the region has ever seen, but he will never fight for anyone but his masters.

Just as a thought experiment, if Prabhas had started trying to get Kattappa to wear eye liner and bright scarves, would we have worried about him “feminizing” him, or putting his masculine power on him?  Or would we have seen it as a full-hearted innocent trying to bring some joy into a joyless life?

Speaking of joy, SUDEEP!!!!!!  My favorite character in the whole film!  And it appears he will not be returning for Baahubali 2 and I am CRUSHED!!!!  He plays what my friends and I call “the falafal man”.  Because while he is talking with Kattappa, on the table in front of them are falafals as big as your head!  Really, take a look next time you watch it.

Well, “the falafal man”, or else “world’s best sword salesman”.  That’s closer to his actual character, a salesman from “The Orient” who is trying to sell a sword to Kattappa.  Kattappa rejects it, Sudeep is insulted, they duel, Kattappa shows off his skills, and Sudeep is so impressed he begs Kattappa to go back to his home with him.  Again, there is a kind of parallel here to Prabhas and Tamannah.  And like Tamannah, Kattappa rejects the invitation, feeling that he has a responsibility in this cursed place and can not leave it.

Back to Tamannah, she is sneaking away from her guard duty, asking her friend to cover for her.  In order to lie (lay?) by a pool and allow fish to nibble her arm clean.  It took me a few watches to figure out what she is doing, and maybe some people never figured it out and that’s why they missed some stuff about her character?  Before she even sees Prabhas, Tamannah is already feeling trapped by her unforgiving lifestyle.  Not that she wants to stop fighting, but she wants a little beauty and gentleness in her life too.  She wants the sensation of the fish grooming her, and for a moment to see her skin clean and pale.  And it is this pre-existing desire that Prabhas takes advantage of with his magical underwater instantaneous tattoo tool, painting beauty onto her arm.

This beauty almost prevents Tamannah from her desires, when the leader of the gang sees it and declares that she is no longer dedicated to their task and cannot be sent to fulfill the greatest mission.  Tamannah argues back that the purity of her desire, as shown by her angry tears, should overcome any superficial appearance, and he agrees.

Now, notice that this argument works whether or not the tattooing was voluntary.  I’m not saying it was voluntary, in any way.  But this is a band that has become so devoted to it’s mission, even something as small as a pretty painting on an arm is seen as a great sin.  Tamannah is reminding them that what matters is how they feel inside, not these superficial signs of devotion, darkening their faces and their dress, removing anything from their lives that might give them joy.

And the flip side of this is also true, one can be surrounded by great magnificence and yet have no joy inside of them, no beauty.  Which we see as the camera brings us over the walls into Mahishmati.

There are so many details in the sequence, I had to watch it many times to catch them all.  We heard that the evil King is collecting all the gold in the kingdom in order to build a statue of himself.  And now as the camera zooms up and down streets, we see quick glimpses of guards pulling gold from the necks of weeping women, carts piled high with gold, and men being beaten, presumably as punishment for refusing to voluntarily give up their wealth.

The filming is brilliant as well, it’s drone style, as though we are following a bird through the city (or a bug, possibly using technology developed for Eega/Makhi?), it immediately immerses us in the feel of the place, much more than a simple tracking shot or crane shot would do.  And we end at the center of it all, in the palace courtyard, where we meet our villainous grouping of son, father, and grandfather.

Prabhas, our hero, exists in a world of women.  As baby he was brought to safety by one woman, and taken into safety by another.  As a child and young man, we see him primarily interacting with his mother.  And he is driven to climb the waterfall and change his life by a 3rd woman, Tamannah.  But Rana is from a harsh world of men.  His crippled father and boisterous son cheer him on as he dominates and defeats the most male of all animals, an enormous bull.

Kattappa is the character who exists in both worlds at once.  He is there to support Rana, but his request is in support of a woman, the release of Anoushka from captivity.  And later we see that he speaks, happily, with Anoushka, able to talk to a woman as an equal, unlike Rana and his father and son who never engage with women (do we even know if Rana’s wife is alive or dead?).

This is our first meeting with Anoushka, and just as Kattappa and Tamannah share features of noble souls trapped in unforgiving circumstances, so do Anoushka and Prabhas share features of power that has been tamped down waiting for release.  In our first meeting of Anoushka she moves soooooooooo slooooooooooowly.  I want to reach through the screen and shake her and tell her “just MOVE why don’t you!!!!”  But that’s the point, we are supposed to feel the same frustration she does at how her life has been limited by her circumstances so that she can’t even walk at a normal pace.  Chained up in the city square, face damaged by the sun, body weakened.  But when Kattappa tries to force her to do something, she is inspired to reveal her power!  And she turns her eyes full on him as the wind rises and the thunder claps.

Image result for anushka bahubali 1

In Hinduism, there is the idea of ascetics building up power.  Really, there is the same idea in most religions.  Prayer, sacrifice, self-denial, it’s all about collecting cosmic playing cards that you can cash in as needed.  For instance, there is Gandhari, Dhritarashtra’s wife in the Mahabharata, who keeps her eyes covered for decades but, according to some versions, when she removed the blindfold she was capable of giving out great blessings (protecting her son from in the battlefield) and curses (blackening a toe that one small part of her eye fell upon).  This is what Anoushka is doing.  She has kept her fire tamped down for decades, waiting for the moment to reveal it.  In the same way, Prabhas has kept his fire hidden, living the life of a carefree forester, not wasting it on small matters.

Now, the audience is primed to see these two characters meet.  Especially since Anoushka has declared her son will save her and, based on that opening with baby Prabhas fleeing from danger, the audience can be pretty sure that he is her son.  But what is going to bring them together?

Back to Tamannah!  She has a day to prepare herself before leaving for her mission, and she chooses to spend it trying to trap the person who is tormenting her, the one who has painted her hand.  Her friend puts her hand in the water as bait, and Tamannah hides in the tree with a bow, ready to shoot an arrow down into the water, unaware that Prabhas is on the branch above her, painting another design onto her shoulder.

There are two messages in this sequence, first that Prabhas is really something special.  Tamannah isn’t some foolish maiden, his ability to sneak up on her means that his physical abilities are beyond the usual, not just in climbing up a waterfall, but in a whole variety of ways.  And secondly, Tamannah hasn’t quite understood how Prabhas feels about her.  She sees this as a simple bait-trap kind of situation.  He likes to paint young women, there is a young woman, he will paint her.  She doesn’t realize that Prabhas has fixated on her in particular, that it isn’t a “any woman will do” kind of situation.  She doesn’t realize that there can even be a situation that isn’t “Any woman will do”.

Okay, it’s time for my big Avantika Rape? section!  OH BOY!  What fun!!!!

Here’s something odd I noticed about the soundmixing between the Hindi and Telugu versions (I saw both in theaters, not on purpose, just because of convenient showtimes on particular days).  In Tamannah’s intro scene in Hindi, you hear heavy panting, like people are running flat out, and occasional cries that sound angry and dangerous from the men.  In the Telugu version, somehow it felt different.  The panting was lighter, and the cries sounded less angry and more joking and lustful.  In Hindi, it looked like they were chasing her down to kill.  And, when we realized it was an ambush and they were military, it kind of felt immoral.  That she was just tricking random soldiers into chasing her so they could be picked off.

But in the Telugu, it felt obvious that they weren’t chasing her as part of their job as soldiers, they were chasing her because they wanted to rape her.  Which meant it wasn’t immoral at all, it was self-selecting bad guys.  If they were chasing in order to participate in a gang rape, they deserved to die.  And it also explained why Prabhas seemed to be strolling along a little in his effort to save her.  Because the “bad guys” were moving slowly also, we could hear their voices, they were joking and enjoying the cat and mouse game, they were in no huge hurry.

The biggest change is what it means for how Tamannah sees the world, and herself in it.  In the Hindi version, she is a warrior and an outlaw who is drawing her enemy into a trap.  The same is true in the Telugu version, but with the added nuance that she is using her body in order to do it.  For Tamannah, an outside man being attracted to her is an automatic danger for her, and weakness to be exploited in him.  She only knows of sex and attraction as weapons, nothing else.  And so when she reacts to Prabhas’ approaches by setting up a trap, and then by chasing and attacking him, it might not be because she has that internal “I’m in danger” alert that women get, it might just be because she doesn’t know any other way to react.

And then let’s look at Prabhas.  While Tamannah only sees love and sex as danger and ugliness, Prabhas is the opposite, he can’t conceive of them being twisted that way.  He paints her hand and her shoulder the same way a little boy would tug a little girl’s pigtails.  It’s his way of saying “I like you” and “I want to be your boyfriend” as purely as he can.  Heck, once he finally has a chance to talk to her, that’s all he wants to say, in the incredibly inane line “I am man, you are woman, I have come here to love you”.  It’s really just that simple for him, the thought of a higher duty and responsibilities and complex relationship power dynamics don’t even occur to this character, he is an innocent.  Oh, and going back to the slightly different wording of the “Dhivara” sequence, in the Hindi version it sounds like his vision is promising him love, and he therefore thinks he has earned it when he meets her later.  But in the Telugu, it is clear that it is not just about Tamannah, it is about being inspired to a great challenge.  His vision hasn’t told him that he has won her already, it has told him that the challenge of winning her is worthy.

A lot of reviewers pointed out what Prabhas does with his body language to differentiate between free and happy and carefree “Shivu” of the forest, and noble responsible “Baahubali”.  But the Shivu body language isn’t there just to show how different he is from Baahubali, it’s also there to show his innate Shivu-ness.  He sees the world as a safe and happy place, he strides wide and swings his arms out.  He is open to everything, expecting only good things will happen.  Fearless, because it has never occurred to him that there might be something to fear.

And in this confrontation with Tamannah, we can see in their fighting styles the difference in their attitudes.  Prabhas is playing with her, casual, laughing, free and easy in his movements.  Tamannah is focused, after a goal, and trying to get there as fast as possible.  That’s why Prabhas “wins”, because she can’t even understand what he is doing, there is no clear goal that he is trying to achieve, and he doesn’t seem in any hurry to get there.

And then we get to the “rapey” bit.  The fight takes them to a natural hot springs.  This location isn’t just about being “sexy”, all fertile and stuff, it’s about what is beneath the surface, the promise and warmth and hope and all of that.  They move from the cold grey world Tamannah has been trapped in, to something more like Prabhas’ world, rich and beautiful and safe.  And it was there all along, underneath the snow.

That’s why Prabhas has to undress Tamannah.  It’s not because it is sexy or rapey.  It’s because he returning her to her previous essence.  He isn’t changing her, he is un-changing her.  This is what Tamannah has been struggling with all along, why she let the fish clean her hand, why she looked unhappy at her reflection in the water.  It’s not because she was unhappy with herself, it’s because she didn’t feel like herself.  She wanted to strip off this misery and darkness all along, but didn’t know how.

That is what Prabhas does for her, shows her herself again.  And that’s what makes her finally see him as well, and understand what he is saying, that he came all this way and did all of this, just for her.  Not because she is a random available woman he can rape, or because he sees her as just another comrade to be used in the war, but because he sees her as herself, beautiful and unique, something no one has ever seen in her before.

Yes, this sequence is “problematic”.  But only if you watch it with a larger context in mind.  If you watch it for just what it is, a scene in this movie between these two characters, it is a little silly, but ultimately harmless.

The “harm” comes in when you see it as part of a decades long history of harassment being romanticized in Telugu films.  And as part of a lengthy history of strong women being turned into “just” love objects in narratives from everywhere.  And generally if you have ever had a man tell you “you’d be pretty if you just smiled more” or otherwise seemed to imply that the main goal of your life is to be attractive to a man.

Those larger contexts should be addressed and discussed.  What is frustrating for me and, I think, other viewers who enjoyed this particular sequence in the same way I did, is that this one fairly harmless moment in a film that is about so much more, is being blamed for everything else.  Fairly obviously just because this happened to become a super popular movie.  If there had been the same articles written about any one of the much more guilty films, no one would have read them, because those films didn’t get the massive record breaking global release.  If these articles had said up front “this one scene is a little disturbing, but not that bad, however it reminds me of these 7 other much worse scenes and I am going to take this opportunity to talk about them and the overall trend”, then I wouldn’t have minded.  It was just the attitude that this particular scene was obviously the worst thing ever and to blame for all the problems in the universe, that’s what bothered me.

Especially considering what comes afterward, which shows that Tamannah is in control all along.  She makes the decision to enjoy this brief interlude, this warm spring in the snowfield that is her life, and then the next morning, she makes her plan to slip away and return to her duty.  It’s all her choice, all along.

It isn’t Prabhas that takes away her choices, it’s the army guys who show up as she is walking away.  They would have killed her, and they delay her enough for Prabhas to wake up and come chasing after her.

Okay, this bit I have a harder time with.  Not so much because of the huge social implications, but just the laziness!  Tamannah has to be sneaking away, that is the most important part, that she kept her duty ahead of everything else, and made the choice to leave Prabhas.  But then for the plot to continue, Prabhas has to be able to chase after her, and ultimately take over his mission, bringing him to his destiny.

But, really????  Super warrior woman is defeated almost immediately and needs Prabhas to save her?  And also, A TWISTED ANKLE??????  Like some freaking Jane Austen heroine!?!?!?!?

Just, a little more imagination would have helped here.  Like, what if she had been shot by an arrow as from cover right away, the kind of bad luck there would be no way to have prevented.  And that’s why she couldn’t fight, because she was severely injured, and that’s why Prabhas had to rescue her from the soldiers.  And later take over her mission.

I’m going to go to the Interval break before I stop today.  It’s an awkward interval break, feels like it really should have naturally gone into two parts about half an hour later right before the flashback.  But that would have made the first half over two hours long, so they had to find somewhere dramatic to break it before then.

Prabhas says good-bye to Tamannah and starts moving towards Mahishmati.  I didn’t notice on my first watch, but along the way there are all sorts of big signs that something big is about to happen, bushes bursting into flame, lightning bolts, etc.  And as he lands within the walls of the city, there is a sudden vision of him in armor and regal robes, before changing back to our innocent Prabhas with the simple cloth clothing.

Prabhas makes his way to the town square, where Rana and his evil family are watching poor oppressed peasants struggle with an elaborate pulley system to lift the enormous golden statue they have made out of all the gold collected earlier.  A rope slips, and Prabhas grabs it and pulls all by himself, inspiring others to grab hold and pull as well, eventually righting the statute.  Only what inspires them is the vision of Prabhas’ face, and an old man who calls him “Baahubali”.  The call is taken up by one person after another, until it rings out through the whole square, even the elephants trumpeting in triumph.

What I find most interesting about this is Prabhas’ reaction.  He’s hiding in a corner, having knocked out and taken the clothes from one of the guards.  He is confused by it all, but doesn’t really care, he just wants to finish his task, get back to Tamannah, and his happy forest life.  There is no greater goal in mind, even all this hullabaloo causes only the slightest curiosity.  But on the other hand, if he sees an immediate need (like the slipping statue), he will fulfill it.  There is just no sense of greater responsibility, no reason he should concern himself with all these people he doesn’t even know.

And it is the growth into that greater responsibility that we see take place over the course of the second half.  And the end result of that greater responsibility which I anticipate we will witness in The Conclusion.

Advertisements

35 thoughts on “Special Monday Malayalam Post: BAAHUBALI!!!! (Part 1) Let’s Talk About 1, Before 2 Comes Out!

  1. Dude, this was really good! I was also disappointed when I found out that Sudeep’s character wasn’t returning. I especially liked your explanation for the romance with Tamannah. I’m going to keep in mind what you said when I rewatch the movie this week. Though I get that Prabhas needed to get to Mahismathi, I still wish Tamannah got to go with him.

    Like

    • As Moimeme pointed out, she is in the trailer for one second, in a battle scene too, so hopefully she gets to return to Awesome Warrior mode.

      Like

      • Yup! But as of now, I’m more curious about how Anushka’s character will be like. I want to find out her backstory out of all the characters.

        Like

  2. Shivudu doesn’t knock out the guard and take his clothes until after the interval scene with the statue, when he breaks into Bhallaladeva’s palace to try to find Devasena.

    Did you ever read the Bahubali review by Filmigirl? I remember recommending it one of the threads. It sure seems like you concur with her an awful lot.

    Re Avantika’s choices (I prefer to use character names; find it disrespectful to use the actors’ names, as if all their hard work in creating the character doesn’t matter), it’s very explicit in the Paccha Bottesi song that she takes the lead in their sexual encounter. She undresses him first, then herself, she pushes him down to the ground, and then lies beside him, etc. But one thing I have found (with both film viewers and book readers) is that, when one has a particular ideology or world view so strongly impressed in one’s mind, even the most glaring evidence to the contrary in front of them is totally unseen by that person.

    As for Avanthika’s injury, it was more like a broken ankle, rather than sprained. She definitely couldn’t walk or even stand up after they get away from the bad guys, and she had a very tight deadline, she had to get to Mahishmati that day or the next, because that’s how the arrangements had been made. Again, this film was taking great pains to explain why it was necessary for Shivudu to take her place, but it just got conflated into “the man takes over the woman.”

    I did find it unbelievable that she be taken by such a simple trick as the net falling on her.

    Like

    • I’ve had to stop reading reviews by other people since I started blogging. It’s too risky that I might accidentally take one of their observations for my own.

      The ankle injury just has such a history of being the thing that “weak women” get. It is the only part of the sequence that I can’t separate out from the context. But you are right, it is a small thing, the ultimate point is that she was injured at the start of the fight, which is why Prabhas had to rescue her and take over her mission. It’s not that she was naturally incapable of taking care of herself just because she is a woman, it’s that she had an injury.

      Like

      • I think before her ankle injury & after prabhas frees her, she was standing still when prabhas was fighting the soldiers. That was one odd slip by Rajamouli. Rest of it was explained logically (as much logically as possible in a fantasy movie)

        Like

        • Good point! I bet I subconsciously noticed that slip, and it made it appear that she was incompetent, instead of gravely injured.

          On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 5:47 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

          • Wasn’t she standing still because she was trapped in the net, and struggling only made her more entangled?

            Like

  3. I’m happy to hear that you didn’t read Filmigirl’s review, because it means that two reviewers independently arrived at almost exactly the same interpretation, that the Shivudu – Avanthika encounter was entirely “non-rapey”, to coin a word. 🙂

    This has nothing to do with Bahubali, but I’m putting it here because you’re likely to see it. So, apologies. Did you ever hear back about the popular culture conference, about submitting more than one paper?

    Like

    • Oh, yes I did! I thought I had responded on the original post, but maybe not, Yes, there is no official rule against it, but it isn’t encouraged. So I would say, go ahead and apply to 1-3 areas, but no more than that, so it isn’t super noticeable.

      Also, the deadline was just extended to May 15, so if you are interested, you have some extra time to write up a submission!

      On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 7:26 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • Thanks, it’s more like, I couldn’t remember the title of the thread where that was posted, so didn’t really check back on it.

        Like

    • Telugu! It’s the real voices of the actors in that one. It might be the real voices in Tamil too, I’m not sure. But it certainly won’t be in Hindi.

      On Tue, Apr 25, 2017 at 12:42 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

    • Both Telugu and Tamil are shot in those languages respectively but Hindi is dubbed. I know Prabhas is fluent in Telugu whereas he had to learn Tamil for Baahubali. The rest of the cast can speak both languages as far as I know. But if you decide to watch in Telugu, beware that the ticket prices are going to be very very expensive. Based on what I saw, the prices are highest in Telugu and the lowest in Hindi while Tamil is in between.

      Like

  4. Pingback: Tuesday Telugu/Tamil Special Edition: BAAHUBALI!!!! Second Half, Second Post! (SPOILERS) – dontcallitbollywood

  5. Pingback: Just How Much Do I Love Bahubali? – MovieMavenGal

  6. I get the justification for the romance with Shivudu and Avanthika, but I still felt uncomfortable while rewatching the movie. I think it’s the way that Prabhas plays Shivudu makes me feel like that. I can’t really put my finger on it but for some reason I wasn’t convinced that Shivudu is as innocent as he’s supposed to be. But other than that, I still loved the movie.

    Like

    • I can see that. If there is any hint of “knowingness” in his performance, suddenly it changes from “innocent who doesn’t understand what he is doing” to “eve-teaser”.

      On Wed, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:00 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  7. Pingback: Bahubali 2: Whole Thing! Scene By Scene! Part 1, Opening Credits and Song – dontcallitbollywood

  8. Tamannah getting A TWISTED ANKLE instead of arrow shot in Bahubali 1?
    Then she couldn’t have participated in the next battle that takes place night and day in Bahubali 1 and 2!

    Like

    • I don’t know, we keep seeing Prabhas 1 and 2 getting all those arrow wounds and just walking them off, it could still have worked!

      On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 8:26 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  9. Pingback: Bahubali Posts Index – dontcallitbollywood

  10. Hey! So I’m finally looking at all your BB posts, starting with your review of BB1.

    Now that I know you’ve seen a few of the classic mythological/alt-history/fantasy movies (like Maaya Bazaar – I know some of what I say will resonate. 🙂

    I knew nothing about this movie when I first went to see it – other than it was a Rajamouli and Prabhas film. So I went into it with a clean slate. I remember that while I was impressed with the opening sequence (because I loved Ramya Krishnan as Neelambari!) I was kind of ho-hum about it all, thinking that it was just another movie from the same genre. Nice, but not terribly exciting.

    In an interview I saw since – I think the Telugu tv premiere – Rajamouli mentions that the iconic scene of baby Baahubali being lifted out of the flood waters by the dying Sivagami was from a real-life incident. While watching it, I had scoffed at the filmi-ness of it all, so to hear that was a surprise. Apparently, it was how a baby was found/rescued after a river had flooded in AP – held aloft by his dying mother. 😦

    What made me think this was an awesome movie was the Shiva lingam moment – that song! The use of the Shiva stotram ( a traditional prayer that recites all of Shiva’s names/lists his attributes) actually gave me goosebumps. The use of Sanksrit set to tune always resonates with us, I think, because of a shared cultural history. 🙂

    And “Dhivaara” gave me my first gasp out loud moment, when Shivudu first imagines Avanthika as the beautiful princess who inspires him to climb the mountain – the music swells and stops, everything goes into slow motion – and Prabhas JUMPS! 🙂

    So – now that you’ve seen Maaya Baazar – Avanthika, when we first see her – seemed to be built on the model of the beautiful, pure and virtuous princess type (like Sasirekha) who does nothing but exist in the palace and look beautiful. Which is what I was used to seeing. That’s the “traditional” model of a heroine in such a movie.

    And then she’s a warrior! And not a Xena type of warrior – wearing skimpy skirts and boots, sleeveless, midriff-baring armour that only serves to accentuate her breasts, swinging a big sword while her hair streams gloriously behind her…

    The hair thing has always annoyed me. People with long hair who get into fights know enough to keep it tied up!

    So right away, a lot of my expectations when it came to the heroine were subverted. And then she had an actual mission! Which didn’t have anything to do with the hero (at a deeper level it did, but let’s ignore that for now) or his love. In so many Indian movies, the hero is the one with a goal (he wants to catch the bad guy, he wants to become a police officer, he wants to fight injustice, he wants to pull off a heist, whatever) while the heroine is around for either moral support or to help him with his goal. But here, what she wants (Devasena’s freedom) and what he wants (her love) are different.

    I had my problems with the famous disrobing scene, but I read it the same way you did – Prabhas2 is showing Avanthika that she can be more. Although I didn’t like how he forced it on her, I understood that it comes from my own experiences as a woman. So it just felt a little clueless on Rajamouli’s part to not know how the audience would see it.

    I was fine with the ankle twisting part, actually. A sprain in an ankle or foot can be devastatingly painful! And it made sense, because it was a load bearing joint – not, say, a shoulder, which would be painful, but would not preclude her from getting on a horse and waiting for Prabhas2 at the palace gates with the getaway cart.

    What I actually liked here was that Prabhas2 acknowledged Avanthika’s goal and promised to help her achieve it – in his mind, she is now his wife, so any goal of hers is a shared goal. I liked that he didn’t immediately dismiss her desire to free Devasena – he didn’t say, “no, you and I are going to recuperate here – your health is more important, forget this woman I’ve never heard of!”

    He said: this is important to you, it’s important to me. And it didn’t feel like he was taking over, because we have already seen that she is capable of doing things herself – I think this is why it was important that Prabhas2 didn’t help Avanthika out in her introductory battle. We – and he – see that he would be more hindrance than help, because this isn’t his world and he knows nothing about what’s going on. So she doesn’t normally need rescuing – it’s this one situation that demands it.

    So while I understood that Avanthika getting injured was a plot device to ensure that Shivudu decides to go to Mahishmathi – I enjoyed hearing him acknowledge that her wants and needs were important and that he was committed to helping her achieve them. Such a normal, everyday thing that happens in real-life relationships, but I almost never see it onscreen!

    And there end my thoughts on Avanthika. Off to read part 2! 🙂

    Like

    • 1. I also didn’t particularly notice the opening sequence the first time, although I liked it, it wasn’t MIND-BLOWING. But when I made my friends come see it with me, I made a point that they HAD to see the first 5 minutes, if we got to the theater late, we would just wait for the next show. Because the sequence gets better by the time you see the end of the film, you know? It’s a great moment on its own, but when you know that she was this awesome queen, that this baby went on to not even know where it came from, that Tamannah would be a similarly awesome fighter, it just has so much more meaning.

      And I am not surprised to hear it was based on a true story, like I said, I think the whole concept resonates with the audience for this film, and for all those tales from every other culture, because it is such a natural human instinct, to save the baby above all else.

      2. I did not realize that was Sanskrit! I have no shared cultural history, obviously, but you are right, there is something about the actual Sanskrit which feels deeper. I feel the same way with the marriage hymn (which of course you hear A LOT in Indian films). Kind of shivery and extra meaningful. I wonder if I am getting that secondhand from the actors and the musicians and singers? That they are putting an extra kind of something into these particular scenes, because it has a deeper meaning for them? I mean, I feel the same shivery way in those few times that Shahrukh uses real Arabic prayers in character, or in American films when they use the Book of Common Prayer.

      3. Dhivara is so amazing!!!!!! I still think it is the most important part of the films, about achieving your destiny. That was the tragedy of Prabhas 1’s story, his life was cut short before his destiny was achieved. And the triumph of Prabhas 2, that he is going out and grabbing his destiny, taking a leap towards what he can sense is waiting for him.

      4. I like that idea of the first vision being a conscious comparison with the standard heroine. I’ve heard critiques of it, that he wants the standard heroine and turns her into that because the warrior lady couldn’t be a film heroine. But of course those critiques don’t hold up, because we see that she can go back and forth. She turned warrior again after their love song, and in B2 now we see that she is a warrior in battle, and then a princess at the coronation. It’s just about bringing the two parts together, not getting rid of one.

      5. Both the disrobing and ankle scenes, I think, suffered because of comparisons outside of the film. Which is both fair and unfair. On the one hand, why blame Rajamouli for decades of questionable consent behavior in Indian film romances and for centuries of heroine’s twisting ankles? But on the other hand, shouldn’t Rajamouli have known about that context and that it would be an issue for part of the audience? Wasn’t it up to him to be aware and to avoid? The disrobing scene, that might be a little harder to fix, but like I said, the ankle thing is just such a trope, literally any other injury would have been better. Heck, a sprained wrist! And then the next time we see her, she has a brace on it. Good enough!

      6. Yes yes yes to how you see Prabhas 2’s vow to her! That’s another one that has gotten context criticism, because it looks similar to all those other movies where the hero just takes over the heroine’s quest and she gets forgotten. But in this case, it’s not that she gave him a whole backstory and he decided that he cares even more than her and he should be in charge. No, he is only doing this because she wants him to, and only because she is injured. I think if she weren’t injured, and wanted to do it on her own, he would have let her. Well, probably followed her just in case he was needed, but let her alone so long as she could handle it herself. Basically what he did in the first fight scene, stayed and watched just in case, but didn’t interfere. But that lack of explanation, I think that is what is most important. It’s just a thing she has to do, so he will do it for her if she can’t. But it stays her quest, because she is the one with the primary motivation, he never has any reason besides just pleasing her.

      On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 1:25 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

      • 1. I also didn’t particularly notice the opening sequence the first time, although I liked it, it wasn’t MIND-BLOWING. But when I made my friends come see it with me, I made a point that they HAD to see the first 5 minutes, if we got to the theater late, we would just wait for the next show. Because the sequence gets better by the time you see the end of the film, you know?

        That’s true! The opening does get better with a rewatch. I’m desperately waiting for the director’s cut DVDs of these films so I can watch them back to back, like I did/do LOTR. 🙂

        2. I did not realize that was Sanskrit! I have no shared cultural history, obviously, but you are right, there is something about the actual Sanskrit which feels deeper. I feel the same way with the marriage hymn (which of course you hear A LOT in Indian films).

        Ahaha, so, one of my favourite songs, a permanent resident on my playlist, starts off with the chant:

        And, as you said, it appears a lot in films. I’ve heard it SO much, in fact, that when I was getting married, myself, I was almost mouthing along with the priest, which is a no-no. 😛

        I mean, I feel the same shivery way in those few times that Shahrukh uses real Arabic prayers in character, or in American films when they use the Book of Common Prayer.

        I think it has to do with the pitch of it? Because I feel the same with the Dies Irae Gregorian chants I’ve seen in films – something about the sound of many voices raised in a chant just goes ‘ping’ in our consciousness, I think! 🙂

        So, the Shiva tandava stotram in “Sivuni anna” is an actual prayer. A pretty good translation of the lyrics – both the prayer and song is here.

        “Dhivara” also uses a lot of Sanskrit! 🙂 It’s more unique, I think, because it’s all original. MM Keeravani’s (the music director) father wrote the lyrics.

        A really great breakdown of the song and translated lyrics is here. The BB2 songs use a lot of Sanskrit, as well – the “Saahore Baahubali” chorus is all Sanskrit, in fact (the catchy Heysa Rudrasa! Heysara bhadra samudrasa! bit.) I think it’s because the South India languages have roots in Sanskrit, so it’s easier for Telugu/Tamil speakers to understand Sanskrit. 🙂

        4. I like that idea of the first vision being a conscious comparison with the standard heroine. (…) It’s just about bringing the two parts together, not getting rid of one.

        I think it was intended, on SSR’s part, that we draw the comparison – which is then subverted. As far as I recall, the most recent mytho movie before BB had a heroine of the classic type (Shruti Hassan in a Telugu Disney movie that I cannot recall now!) and of course all the classics followed the mould. So we were set up to think of Avanthika that way – and then the vision is shattered! 🙂

        And yes, I like how you put it – in the movies, it’s about bringing all sides of her together – the lover with the princess with the warrior. 🙂

        5. Both the disrobing and ankle scenes, I think, suffered because of comparisons outside of the film. Which is both fair and unfair. On the one hand, why blame Rajamouli for decades of questionable consent behavior in Indian film romances and for centuries of heroine’s twisting ankles? But on the other hand, shouldn’t Rajamouli have known about that context and that it would be an issue for part of the audience? Wasn’t it up to him to be aware and to avoid?

        THIS. I really would have liked SSR to have found a better way for Shivudu to show Avanthika the “woman within” (ugh) than a forceful makeover.

        I mean, you could say that the scene played out the way it did because Shivudu is a naive kid with no grasp of gender politics/issues – but SSR, the director, isn’t! Sadly, I think it was a conscious decision from him as a director of “commerical” film – SSR really knows how to “use” his stars to ensure BO success. All those lingering shots of Tammana’s navel weren’t an artistic choice. 😛

        And now that I have linked way too many songs in this comment, I take your leave. 😛

        Like

        • For me, the wedding prayer just makes me think of the Saathiya remix of it. Which is equally inappropriate!

          Now that you say Dhivara uses Sanskrit too, it kind of clicks into place for me. That’s why the song sounds so powerful! And different.

          I’m okay with SSR putting in a sexy scene, we can all enjoy that (I don’t mind one bit the shirtless/sleeveless shots of Prabhas in the love song, or the sexy “taking off your pendent with my mouth” moment). But it’s too bad he got there through a possibly not good consent route. If nothing else, because it distracted everybody so much! Half the articles post B1 felt like they were about consent issues instead of the movie as a whole.

          Liked by 1 person

  11. Pingback: Thursday Telugu (a lazy one): Mr. Perfect! Based on My Imperfect Memory of It! | dontcallitbollywood

  12. Pingback: Hindi Film 101: Top Box Office Hits 2000-Today!!! Shahrukh to Prabhas | dontcallitbollywood

  13. Pingback: Friday Classics: Haathi Mere Saathi, the Original Before the Gritty Reboot | dontcallitbollywood

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s