Prabhas is Building Dollywood?

Asmita in the comments pointed me towards this story, thereby giving her the post-inspiration hat trick (this one and this one and now a third).  And it made me start thinking about a bunch of different possible business opportunities in the new interconnected corporate entertainment world of India.

The actual story, from the deccan chronicle here is about V Celluloid, which is an off-shoot of UV productions, which distributed Bahubali 2 and produced Mirchi.  They are building a massive screen complex, plus restaurant and entertainment area and hotel, off of a highway outside Chennai.

Oh I have THOUGHTS!  First, I love how corporate/not-corporate this thing is.  UV apparently has a distribution and a production wing, and started a new sub-company for building this theater.  But we can read between the lines and see that this is really all the same company, and their business is one thing-Prabhas.

Well, not just one thing, it sounds like they are an actual company with other stuff going on.  But their biggest “product” is Prabhas.  He has, as the article puts it, “close ties” with this company.  And so behind all that corporate-speak and so on, we can see this is really a matter of taking the Prabhas/Bahubali 2 money, and using it to build a perfect platform for the Prabhas/Saaho money (assuming they get Saaho).  Plus any other film Prabhas signs after that, so long as he is willing to continue this unofficial relationship.

Image result for saaho

(Yep, they are getting it, there’s “UV Creations” on the poster.  Also, yay, Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy!)

But let’s take a step back and think about what they are actually building.  This is a destination experience that they are talking about.  Not movies as part of every day life, stop off for the show after dinner, but a special all day family outing, driving out of the city to do it.

There are two ways this could go, one bad and one good, based on what I know from what has been tried in the American context.  The “bad” way is what always happens when movie theaters try to go big instead of small.  Prices go up, the “experience” is what is being sold, there is a huge initial investment in remodeling and fancy liquor and gourmet food.  But they are showing the same movies you can see for half the price somewhere else, so the audience isn’t buying.  This is what theaters have been trying in America off and on since the 1950s, this is why 3D keeps rising from the dead, and why wide screen became popular.  They want to do something slightly different, slightly “bigger” than what you can get cheap on TV or VHS or DVD or now streaming.  They think that is what will bring in the audience.

And it never does.  I did a research paper in college on this, went through 80 years of newspaper archives, and the same story came up every time.  Big splashy interview with the new owner of the theater, talking about how the audience wants the olden days, the glamour, the event feel of going to a movie and that’s why he is spending so much money on remodeling.  Followed six months later by a tiny little note indicating the theater went bankrupt and is now out of business.

So that’s the “bad” option, theater owners forgetting that people come to the movies primarily to see movies, and if there is another theater down the road that is showing the same movie at half the price, that’s where they will go.  Right now, India is luxuriating in inflated prices, even if the multiplexes only sell a fraction of the tickets of the single screens (which they do), the ticket prices are so bloated that it doesn’t matter.  You can make more profit off one multiplex person than 10 single-screeners, so who cares if your theaters are half empty?  You are still raking in the money.

But wait for it.  At some point, someone is going to burst this bubble.  Some savvy theater owner will figure out how to get the essential elements of the multi-plex experience (air conditioning, nice seats, clean bathrooms-or maybe something else, I don’t know), but at something closer to a single-screen price.  And the audience is going to flock to that, the middle way.

This thing here, that they are talking about, this is definitely not the middle way.  But this isn’t strictly speaking the multiplex way either.  This is something new, movies as a destination.  And something old, movies as a family outing.

It reminds me more than anything of “Dollywood”, Dolly Parton’s theme park.  It’s based on her star identity, but it’s also just a convenient place to get to and stay at, with nice things to do for the whole family.  You don’t have to be a Dolly Parton fan to enjoy it (I assume, I’ve never been because my sister refused to go with me on our last car trip.  We compromised and went to Graceland instead.  Which was also AWESOME.)  It fills a gap in the market, and I think this could fill a similar gap, even if you aren’t a Prabhas fan or even a movie fan, it’s nice to have a place to get to just outside the city where the whole family can enjoy.

Image result for dollywood

(See??  It looks so great!  Why couldn’t we go?)

Oh, and one other thing, I get to talk about the Paramount decision again!  If you have ever taken film history in America, you are probably sick of the Paramount decision.  It’s like the first thing you learn on the first day of class of Film 101.

But just in case you have never had the joy of taking Film History 101, here’s what happened.  In the early “golden era” of film studios in the US, the secret wasn’t the glamour and the stars and all of that, the secret was that they had a total vertical monopoly and therefore could guarantee profit.

Every major studio owned their own theater chain.  The theaters would only show their films.  And theaters that were not studio owned, had a hard time getting those films (which meant they usually went out of business).  And so profit was guaranteed.  You weren’t competing with other studios to get your films shown, because it was your own theater showing them, it would always show your films.  And you weren’t competing for audience share either, because the audience was picking between 3 major theaters, each connected to one of the major studios, or else that funky dirty one that only showed the really terrible movies because it didn’t have a studio relationship.

And then in 1947, finally, one of those funky dirty theaters sued Paramount saying “You can’t do this!  You can’t run the entire movie industry top to bottom and squeeze out the little guy!”  It went all the way to the Supreme Court, who heard the arguments and went “by golly, you’re right!  You can’t do that!  This is terrible!”  And so all the studios had to sell off their theater chains.  And suddenly they actually had to work for an audience instead of holding them hostage.  Well, until they figured out a new way to hold an audience hostage (the way distribution companies and movie studios in America work together is a whole other story).

Related image

(See that “Viacom” underneath?  Now Paramount is part of a whole different kind of monopoly)

Anyway, Indian film never really needed a Paramount decision, because no one ever had enough start up funds to build a massive theater chain network.  Until now (maybe).  Reliance/Big Cinemas has been around for ages, and no one seems to notice that the same company, somewhere high high up the corporate chain, owns both the theaters and the studio.  Of course, Reliance also isn’t really making enough releases to stock all their theaters, no matter what they will always be showing films from other studios.

But this feels like it could be something different.  If UV Productions still has the rights to Bahubali and Mirchi, and might be getting the rights to Saaho, that would kind of be enough for this sort of place.  A game room, a hotel, a restaurant, and the centerpiece is going to see Bahubali on the biggest possible screen.  Especially if, a few years from now, this is the ONLY place to see Bahubali on the big screen.

And that would be fascinating.  A throwback to Bobby, Sholay, DDLJ, where it became an experience just to go see it one more time at the one place where it was playing.  Only now it’s not in a movie palace in the middle of the city, it’s in a big complex off a highway.

81 thoughts on “Prabhas is Building Dollywood?

1. `

You had a chance to go to Dollywood and didn’t????? You sister is crazy. (You’ll regret it for the rest of your life — it’s like not going up the Tower of Pisa.)

2. So how is the Bollywood theme park in Dubai doing? Not the same idea exactly, but more like Dollywood. Are theme parks even a thing in India? Here in Maryland we now have legal casinos, which are trying to be the same kind of “destination”. I don’t get it, myself. Though I do like roller coasters, and these days the only place I can ride to good ones are at theme parks.

• I’m not sure about the Dubai theme park, but I think in general theme parks are a thing in India. Shahrukh has his (Kidzania) and there was a big deal about a Mr. India ride/theme park going up a few years back.

I don’t know, our Indian commentators could probably answer more clearly, but there does seem to be a variety of sort of “roadside attraction” type things similar to this. The last time I was in India, we did a day trip out of Bombay to the ghats, and the people I was in the car with refused to stop off at the wax museum or any of the other cool places (I really need to find new travel companions), but it was sort of an old school route 66 feel, not like fancy Disneyworld type places, but more sort of non-corporate single owner options.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 10:50 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• We need a large group, because the Ghat monkeys are VICIOUS, and I want a large crowd to help me fight them off. It’s like the squirrels in parks that have lost all fear of humans, only 10 times as big and strong.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:09 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Completely unrelated to anything but for anyone interested I just enabled the Request desktop site option in chrome mobile browser for this site and it does just that, it appears the exact same as desktop site and more importantly greatly reduces spaghettification of long threads or comments making them easier to read just like on desktop. Most ppl these days have 5.2+ inch screen phones anyway which is big enough. Point being, maybe this can be convincing enough to try doubling the current 5 replies limit which is already causing confusion to reply to the intended post beyond a point.

• Okay, I am taking your word for it, and upping the number of replies allowed to 8 (oooo!) I can go as high as like 20, but that seems ridiculous.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:08 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Well I guess you have access to analytics data on which browser and which device type hits the site most so if it is indeed chrome mobile then it’ll make sense. Otherwise some brickbats may come from non chrome users on Apple phones for example!

• Nah, no analytics data (have to pay for the really really expensive version for that). I do know most people find me through google search, but that doesn’t mean anything about what device they are on.

Anyway, if anyone complains, I will just tell them that Karthik told me to do it and let them go after you.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:25 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Hmmm…going back to some comments in other posts, I just noticed that “spaghettification” is in full swing (which I did not saw before). No idea if that is related to the changing of the (predefined) number of replies.

• Possibly. If so, the official blog policy is that it is all Karthik’s fault and you should talk to him 🙂

(I can actually change it back, we will see)

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:24 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Damn I’m already having to reply to a different post by same user lol.

Nice to know you also have a cold calculating mind to call upon when needed apart from the general sweetness and kindness that’s the default state :p

• Oh yeah, I’m evil. Kind of. When I work really really hard at it.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 1:15 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Tldr is that yes I think it’ll be best to cut short the experiment and go back to previous value of 5.

For higher value to work as intended readers will need to enable the Request desktop site option if they’re using chrome mobile browser app. But yeah can’t possibly be requiring everyone esp new readers to do that I suppose because it is not default. And given that chrome has largest market share of browsers it is reasonable to assume most new readers will be using that and without enabling that option it will only worsen the look of long threads and at some point in the future M will sue me for damages due to site traffic lost directly due to this.

• Wait, how rich are you? Should I just keep this going as long as possible so I can sue you for the maximum amount?

Nah, probably not worth it. Unless you are secretly an Ambani or something. I’ll just change the settings back.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:58 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Done! I also upped the number of links before it gets sent to spam from 2 to 5, so we can all go hog wild with the links now.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:08 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. I just wanted to clarify some things for you. From what I know, UV Creations is run by Vamsi and Pramod. I know that Pramod is Prabhas’s cousin and I think Prabhas has been childhood friends with both of them. So UV Creations is basically like Prabhas’s home banner and he makes sure to help promote all of their movies.

In terms of distributing Baahubali, they’ve only distributed the movie in one single territory (Guntur/Nellore) in Andhra Pradesh. So I don’t know how they would get the rights to the movie. Also I don’t know if they’re distributing Saaho but currently, UV Creations are the ones that are producing the movie. They’ve also produced some mid-budget hits recently like Bhale Bhale Magadivoy, Run Raja Run, and Express Raja.

• UV Creations is a fairly new production house but they’ve gotten to be really big in the past few years. They’re known for stylish yet entertaining movies plus the stars that work with them tend to get some kind of makeovers. Here’s the teaser of their latest movie, Mahanubhavudu:

• Okay, google is telling me that Prabhas has a brother and a sister. Wikipedia says that Pramod is his brother while a bunch of websites have reported that Prabhod is his older brother who got jailed due to a check bouncing case. I’m pretty sure Pramod is the cousin since Prabhas never mentioned that he’s his brother. For example I just watched Prabhas’s speech from the Mirchi Audio launch and he refers to Vamsi and Pramod as his “best friends since childhood”

• This is exactly the problem with the “Are Aditya and Karan cousins?” issue! There are completely contradictory reports in every source, I was never sure myself until Karan wrote his autobiography and laid it out very specifically.

Clearly, we have to wait for Prabhas to write a very detailed autobiography of his own.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:43 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Right! I just watched three straight speeches of Prabhas at UV Creation’s movie launches and the only things he says about them are that Pramod and Vamsi are his “best friends since childhood”

• Pramod is his brother and his eldest sibling is the sister pragathi who’s husband vijay (not sure about the name) is also very close to prabhas. I saw this old manchu laxmi interview where he gave details of his family.

• Ps, in the same manchu laxmi interview he said his extended family had plenty of kids named pramod, prashant, prabhas, etc. So there are multiple pramods in his family for sure. pramod uppalapati though is his elder brother. This I read in another print interview from rebel where he’s asked about his wedding and he said elder brother pramod wasn’t married yet. Same pramod shows up in his family pics too.

• Hence the extra control the guy has over how the banner makes films. Mirchi was totally cute. There’s literally not one moment in that film that feels like it shouldn’t have been there.

• I could have lost the keytar fight scene. And essentially all of the costuming in the first half. But then, I can also see how that made it way more commercial and enjoyable.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:23 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I didn’t understand which fight scene you’re talking about. And yes, the fat again, skinny again Prabhas made costuming for the entire film really hard. The second half costuming which you liked is mostly from the flashback segment. Where he’s impeccably dressed and has a stable body size.

• Very very opening of the film, hero’s introduction, he’s playing a Keytar.

Is that why his costuming was so bad? I thought it was a character thing, after his whole life imploded he got all casual and poorly dressed.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:30 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh I loved that fight. The high kicks, the shove… The dialogue where he kicks the car’s bonnet and the tyre falls off is actually a reference to a pawan kalyan dialogue and it’s become quite iconic. The keytar playing they could have lost yes since the fight would have been a good enough hero introduction anyway.

5. I’m just at the top of the article right now (I read the technical ones twice just to get things right) and I want to point out that UV Creations is literally Prabhas’ home banner. The producer duo considers of Pramod Uppalapati who is Prabhas’ elder brother. Their debut film was Mirchi. They also launched Sujeeth who wrote Saaho for them. They’ve roped in Vijay Deverakonda for a horror film that would release before the end of the year. They capitalised on Prabhas’ fame before Bahubali. Now finance-wise, Prabhas and his family have sort of been in trouble. Prabhas got paid 24.5C for both the BB films. His last film before that was Mirchi for which his salary wasn’t disclosed. So effectively he got paid close to 30-35c for a 6- year three film stint. That’s close to 5-6c a year which is very poor for a top hero. Pramod also faced some legal trouble in a cheque bounce case and Rajamouli has stated on record that Prabhas was broke at one point during BB filming but he didn’t ask for a raise.

Here’s the curious part- UV have been doing steady business. They’re releasing small films that are making a profit. They’re churning out profitable films. Prabhas is their biggest product yes and they’re monetizing him well. With a budget of 150c, Saaho is already selling rights etc and word is they’re expecting pre-release business to cross 200c. Meaning unless the film is super bad, like super super bad, it will be profitable from day 1.

Also, if you look at Mirchi, you can see the Prabhas influence all over it. He’s said on record that the film went 10-12c over budget because he specifically demanded additions including action sequences. We’ve not seen prabhas as a filmmaker. But if Mirchi is an indicator, Saaho should be something different and definitely watchable.

As for the theatre business, it seems like the first part of a chain. Very clever. Very very clever. Again, back to the family owned film making enterprise type of deal.

Sorry for the looong comment. Kinda drunk right now 😁

• I was gonna give you a hard time for being drunk in the middle of the day, but then I remembered it’s 10pm in India. So now I can give you a hard time for drinking instead of watching all the movies I assigned you to watch!

Anyway, FASCINATING! The first thing that leaps out at me is how the formal business article avoided putting in all those messy family connections. Either because the reporters didn’t know enough to know they were important, or because they thought a real grown up business article shouldn’t include that stuff.

As for Saaho, Shraddha is in it (noooooooooooooooooo!), which is making me very depressed and doubtful.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:28 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I’m not usually drunk but I’m doing this thing where I have at least a glass of red each night. This is for good ovarian health. It does help! Also helps get through depressing evenings because I’m watching too much news during the day.

Anywho, Deccan Chronicle and most mainstream media outlets seem to have the worst kind of writers these days. Most articles are blurbs. I can tell because this is what I used to do for a living.

Now, more interesting bits for you. Since BB2, Prabhas has done publicity work for Rana with NRNM, he was chief guest at Taapsee Pannu starer Anando Brahma (as always, he’s close to the film’s producers), he was a part of a star team that helped promote Akhil Akkineni’s Hello with a compilation video, and yesterday he released a video to promote V Vijayendra Prasad’s directorial debut Srivelli. Point being, he’s doing all these favors while not doing any promotional work for himself. He wasn’t at his Mahanubhavudu’s promotional event today. That was left to the team.

Strategy wise, this seems like he’s not alienating his friends. And technically, UV’s theatre chain could release and play films from their friend’s banners too. And there’s the real win for the audience.

Not sure if it would be close to Dollywood but it could be a new concept in India entirely- a film playing resort. Like water parks.

Business-wise, it’s an amazing concept. They could make money opening up the gardens for weddings. An entertainment zone with a restaurant — never not profitable! They can also sell movie merchandise at like a souvenir shop which would be something new and definitely desirable.

If it starts a trend that breaks the PVR/theatre chain monopoly, I’d definitely welcome it!!

• I can’t have red wine because of migraines 😦 Well, not really ” 😦 “, I’ve never drunk alcohol so it’s not like I feel like I am missing anything.

That’s really interesting, the way Prabhas is keeping in touch with other promotions. There’s also the benefit of keeping him in the public view while he doesn’t have a project of his own to promote.

If they can get the Bahubali merchandise, judging by how my sister was saying it was selling out in the malls, that alone would probably keep a gift shop profitable for years. Heck, be worth the drive all by itself, to know for sure you can buy merchandise that you might have to hunt through 5 malls to find in the city.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:50 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• When I worked at a single screen equivalent, we weren’t supposed to sell posters, but we could give them away to the staff, it was one of the perks. And then a woman offered us $200 cash for the huge Twilight wall hanging, so we kind of bent the rules a bit. Also, that woman was very odd.

We also had a poster stolen once by some college kid and his girlfriend. He cut it down, then gave it to her, and she rolled it up and stuck it down her dress. We had the whole thing on a security camera, but there wasn’t really anything to do with it, the police aren’t going to go on a massive manhunt for the guy who stole a movie poster.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:10 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Ps shraddha… Hate her hate her hate her in this casting. I really wanted Anushka. For reals. She had the action training for BB. but I dunno. There’s a lot of businessmindedness going on with Saaho and forum chat suggests it’s driven by Prabhas. Let’s see what Prabhas the filmmaker, who just spent 6 years on the biggest blockbuster this country has ever seen, has learnt from his BB experience!!

• I can see the Shraddha thinking, she’s known from the Hindi industry, but small enough that she won’t overshadow him/not be able to make the time commitment. Still thought, UGH! Not my least favorite of that level of actress (Shruti Haasan), but not great. I would have loved for, I don’t know, Sonakshi Sinha to get the role. Or Kriti Sonam. Or Bhumi Pednakar.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:55 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• They could have just cast Taapsee Pannu. She’s fluent in telugu already. I watched Shraddha stutter through a news byte few days ago. Made me wonder if she was lying about being happy to be a part of saaho. She was saying all the right things but it seemed so fake. She did ask for thrice her regular fee because the film is trilingual. her Haseena Parker trailer left me cold. What’s with the lack of vocal expression?!

• I’ve now seen her in I think 4 movies? Aashiqui 2, Ek Villain, Baaghi, and ABCD2. I liked her fine in all of those, but they were all kind of well within a very limited range. She looks pretty, she supports the hero, she recites her lines.

So really maybe this casting should tell us what kind of a role the heroine will have in this film. Maybe it’s a perfect “Shraddha” part.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:15 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• As long as her part is dubbed by someone else. Her voice is terrible. Her action is strong, dance is strong, I loved her in Haider. Probably because she had a crude accent in it. Maybe she’s a director’s actor.

Also, so excited about the rest of the cast. Tollywood press segments are trolling the prabhas camp saying they roped in Bollywood have beens. That’s really funny. I did initially think wait that’s too many people for one single film but then I remembered this wasn’t a bollywood film and telugu films do have extremely elaborate support casts.

• Whose in the rest of the cast? (I have just given up on following news articles any more, there’s too much else to do, so I need my informants!)

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:28 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Jackie! Mandira Bedi! Chunkey Panday I still love from Tezaab. And I have no strong reaction to any of the rest of them.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:32 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I JUST saw my first Arun Vijay film, he was the bad guy in that Tamil movie I reviewed yesterday. He did a good job, kind of reminds me of Neil in his career trajectory, started as a hero, and then kind of slid over to the “very attractive villain” side of things.

Neil from Wazir and Prem Ratan Dhan Payo, ho-hum. Tinu Anand from EVERYTHING ON earth, ho-hum. He was good in Nayakan (if that was him? I think it was him).

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:37 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I am tempted to seduce you with a song, but I am already pushing hard for Premam and City of God and Jab Harry Met Sejal, so I will let you have a night off from all my men.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 12:55 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Look here lady, I’ve already mentioned about the sad little tharki in me who I constantly wrestle with to let me stay good and act my age, who can only think of one thing from a shorthand expression of a film budget in crores and who immediately starts getting ideas seeing such statements! You’re a good hearted and nice person though 😀

• Yeah, I felt kind of bad as soon as I hit “send” on that one. But see, I CAN be evil, if I try really really hard!

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 2:13 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Wow that’s an unexpectedly heavy star cast for Saaho indeed. Nobody threatening to compete with Prabhas really although who else is anyway even across the country lol.

• Yeah, I’m more curious/excited about Akshay being in 2.0. That feels like a real match of star power.

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 1:33 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. There’s already precedent for this kind of thing in the Prasad’s IMAX theater in Hyderabad, which was a multiplex “before” the multiplex era, or just at the beginning. The complex has video arcades, shops, restaurants (McDonald’s! which is considered really trendy in India), as well as India’s largest IMAX screen. People do make an event out of watching a film there, and I’ve read newspaper articles of how people from the surrounding villages/small towns around Hyderabad make special expeditions to Hyderabad just to see a film at Prasad’s, especially if it’s a legitimately IMAX shot film. Now, since most IMAX films are Hollywood products, this means that villagers who don’t even speak English were coming all the way to Hyderabad just so they could say they went to Prasad’s and saw an IMAX film there. Heck, it’s not just “villagers”, people from other cities in Andhra Pradesh (before the bifurcation) were making trips to Hyderabad to see an IMAX film. It’s a regular tourist attraction.

7. Oh, and by the way, Prabodh is Prabhas’s actual (or “direct”, meaning born of the same parents) brother, Pramod is his cousin (since the surname is the same, most likely he is his “cousin brother”). I’ve seen the promotions for various UV films, where Prabhas speaks of Pramod and Vamsi as his “close friends”, though I think once or twice he did refer to Pramod as his cousin. But he always speaks of UV creations as an outside banner, not a “home production”, the way Salman speaks of films produced by Sohail, Arbaaz, and Atul Agnihotri (who each have separate production companies) as his “home banners.” Now Salman has started Salman Khan Productions, which again is a “home banner”, as well as Being Human Productions, so he has lots “home banners.”

• OK so i went back to forum friends and I dont understand why TFI is so mysterious. Like I said in an earlier comment too, forum chatter says both Prabodh and Prabhas have stakes in UV. Nobody seems to be able to back that up with actual numbers or a proper document though. And nobody can tell me who’s kid is Pramod.

Prabhas, and the white shirt guy in the middle is Pramod and the white shirt guy on the right is Prabodh. There are many other Pramods, Prabodhs and Prabhases in the family too.

Anyway, onto the family’s production business. The family already had Gopikrishna Movies estd. in 1974 which was run by Prabhas’ dad. Prabhas’ dad was the producer for a few Krishnam Raju’s films. And there was a film which he produced on his own outside the banner. For some unknown reason, Suryanarayan Raju stopped with film production in 1986 and returned only with Billa which was his last film. He died in 2010.

UV was estd. in 2012. It has three promoters: Vamsi Krishna Reddy, Pramod Uppalapati and Vikram Reddy.

So now the family has two banners- one which was run for a while by Prabhas’ dad and is now run by/run under Krishnam Raju (I couldn’t find much about who’s actually heading that banner) one which is currently run by his cousin and friends and possibly has Prabhas and Prabodh as investors/stakeholders.

Anywho, for the sake of sanity, let’s just say “home banner” is one which is run by someone in n actor’s family and where an actor has the most amount of creative control and say in how and where budget is spent. One old interview had Prabhas saying it was his fault Mirchi budget bloated because he wanted the movie to be grander.

He’s already said after UV’s Saaho, his next film would be with Gopi Krishna Films and only after those two projects would he be free for projects with someone else. So if both these films do well, there would technically be no need or space for a third production house of his own under his own name as he wont have time to do any films under his own banner.