Happy Birthday Ayushmann Khuranna! A Dozen Reasons I Love You!

A year ago there was no post for Ayushmann, because I hadn’t even seen one of his movies.  And them, in just the past month, I saw two in theaters and I loved them both.  So now he gets a post!

1.1. I love you because you have a long rich theater acting background starting with your college days in Delhi.  You didn’t just stroll on set because of a handsome face, you put in the effort to learn first.

2. I love you because you came into film sideways.  Starting as a radio announcer in Delhi, becoming a TV personality, then a host of a popular satellite show, before finally taking your first film role.

3. I love you because your first role was the classic role that gets you noticed, a film about sperm donation with a first time producer (John Abraham) and a tiny budget, but you took a risk on it and did your best and lucked out.

4. I love you because the big hit song of the film is one you sang yourself, very unusual!

5. I love you because you managed to survive that small human drama being promoted by a ludicrous song.

6. Jumping ahead a bit, I love you for your next film giving us a remix of one of my favorite old songs.  No, not “Dhak Dhak”, the other one.

7. I love you for plowing through a series of interesting but ultimately failure films.  First Nautanki Saala, remake of the French film After You, which was mostly remembered for remixing “Dhak Dhak” and starting the debate of “disrespectful, or honoring”?

(Personally, I land on finding the dance disrespectful because no one can be Madhuri, but not minding the remix sound)

8. I love you for taking a chance on an odd movie about a man building an unmanned plan in colonial India, Hawaizaada.

9.  I love you for taking 3rd place after Rishi and Sonam in Bewakoofiyan, not to mention playing an unemployed man with a successful girlfriend.

10.  And I love you for coming out the other side of this era, finally, with Dum Laga Ke Haisha!  The small off beat film that actually hit.

(Also, for fully committing to this song)

11.  I love you for quickly signing and working on 3 films after that all of which came out in just the past 6 months, and the first of which won my heart.

12.  And the second of which won it all over again!

54 thoughts on “Happy Birthday Ayushmann Khuranna! A Dozen Reasons I Love You!

1. Nautanki Saala is a fine, fine film! Ayushmaan is one of those actors that consistently make good films but NEED that one huge blockbuster/cult hit to get the recognition they deserve.

And fun fact: He wrote Pani Da Rang when he was in college for his future wife! How cute is that?!

Liked by 2 people

• So cute! I kind of hope he never has that one big film, because then he might get to big for these small films, and I love him in the small films.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 4:49 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• What a horrible wish to have for a guy who makes his living from acting 😱 😁

Well, I do want him to have the big hit film that gets him noticed. If he had been that soul selling kinds he’d have done that already don’t you think?

• I’m just worried, if he actually gets noticed,and moves up a level, there will be a gap at the level of ‘nice guy who you kind of recognize” for the rom-coms. Although I am sure Purab Kohli, for instance, could fill that gap.

• He’s too ‘theatre’ for that. I’ve always felt he needs to do something gritty now. The sweet, thoughtful films he makes are good but his reel persona has become kinda monotonous.

• You may get yoru wish! The Internet tells me, his next film is with Sriram Raghavaran (Johnny Gaddar, Badlapur, etc.)

• I have completely anthropomorphized The Internet. He’s a big shaggy middle-aged guy, kind of an aging hippy, who can answer any question I have. But he’s also a little bipolor/schizophrenic and if he’s off his meds, or you catch him on the wrong day, he’s like scary angry.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:00 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• So the internet is my dad??? Great! Thanks!! That’ll help the daddy issues!!!

Why couldn’t the internet have been a voluptuous, large chested, shabby haired, middle aged hippy woman who makes pot brownies and begins stories with “Let me tell you about the time…”? Y u do dis, M?

Liked by 2 people

• Maybe the internet is both male and female faces combined in one? Depending on which aspect you pray to?

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:43 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Wait, is Shiv the one who had sex for thousands of years in the book I just read? That does seem very internet-like.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:49 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Well, they should stop that! Someone should throw a godly bucket of water on them or something.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:53 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• I can say with authority that throwing a bucket of water on someone does snap them out of whatever it is they are doing. I’d yell at mom almost every morning as she splashed nice cold water on my face when alarms and her kind-at-first prods won’t wake me.

• Speaking of waking up, we are coming up on 10:30, which means your next comment is my last before I go to bed in order to wake up fresh and perky for work tomorrow. Use it wisely!

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:27 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• You have no business going to bed early. As Farhan’s character tells Hrithik’s and Katrina’s in ZNMD, the night is still young and you and I are no less younger either!

• But I’m sleeeeeeeeeeeeeepy! Okay, if I’m staying up, you have to entertain me. Give me another interesting comment! I will tentatively extend my deadline another 15 minutes.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:35 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Remember when you said we had a connection when I seemingly randomly brought up Ayushmann just as you were constructing this post? WHAT DOES IT MEAN?!

• That “seemingly” makes me nervous. Is it possible through computer magic you have created a portal into my computer and therefore are able to track my every movement, making it appear we have a magical connection, when in fact it is all an illusion?

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:40 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Well we engineers are not above misusing our skills for the right purposes. Still, let us believe in magic, muggle!

• Okay, magic it is! I sincerely do have that kind of connection with my sister all the time, so I know it is possible (for instance, I am so sleeeeeeeeeeeeepy right now because she was traveling and didn’t get enough sleep this week). Does that make me sound nutty?

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:44 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Actually that sounds like a plot idea for how they could have flipped the original Judwaa with twin sisters eh? Would have made for a slightly more intriguing remake or revisit.

• Oh wow, that is brilliant! Except I don’t know who could play the role. Maybe Anushka? and I would love to see Ranbir and Ranveer play the “good” and “bad” love interests opposite her.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:52 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• For me Anushka can of course play the badass part great but the softie part not so much believably. I thought someone like Deepika may be a better balance. Oh and would be best not to overshadow her with equally big or bigger star heroes so I’d go with Ayushmann as the softie and perhaps Varun himself as the bad boy!

• Perfect! Done! Let’s pitch it to the Dhawans!

And after that, gender flipped Biwi No.1! Same cast, except this time Karisma is cheating on Salman. With…..John Abraham?

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 11:02 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Aww I saw that film very many times playing on TV so often and Karishma’s character is so innocently devoted and dedicated! I can’t imagine her flipping over like that.

I’ve wondered why there ain’t a film or two attempted about older women falling for boys a la The Graduate or is there? Only one I can immediately recall is BA Pass few years ago.

• And you may have just given me my sunday post idea for the week!

And now I am really really going to bed. Try not to work too much tomorrow, I get bored at my job with no one to talk to but real world people.

• I agree. He’s too theatre to completely sell out and try to be a big blockbuster star…plus, I don’t think he’ll ever be completely believable in those action, tough guy roles (…maybe the upcoming film will change that idea?). But I’m still interested to see him try darker roles.

• Maybe not action “action” like Ajay Devgn bur definitely more like Nivin Pauly action. Just finished watching Sakhavu. Margaret you have successfully converted me to the religion of Nivin Pauly!!! (but I won’t give up PS or DQ!)

• I haven’t even Sakhavu yet! I am so proud of you. Although you also need to watch Thattathin Marathu, Jacobinte Swarigan, and 1983. None of them (unfortunately) are really action films, but they are great performances.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:02 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Thattathin was his big breakthrough romance film, only slightly beardy. Jacobinte, he plays a good boy oldest son (although he secretly drinks on the roof). 1983 is a coming of age story, I think he is bearded by the end, and the father of a small child.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:45 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Prithviraj: if you can find it, his massive huge breakthrough role was in Classmates. Mumbai Police will BLOW YOUR MIND, and I won’t say any more than that. Urumi is a strange period film by the same director as Asoka (essentially, if you like Asoka, you will like this). Celluloid and Ennu Ninte Moideen will break your heart and make you want to change the world. Ivide (if you can find it) is a really really interesting one, he plays an American police officer. And Ayalum Njanum Thammil has him as a dedicated passionate doctor (if you are into that).

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:51 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Hot Prithviraj recommendations? City of god for sure – he is a bad boy who talks little but is intelligent and know how to treat his woman.

• You and I think alike! That’s the movie I had her watch first to seduce her over to the Prithviraj side.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 10:19 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. I actually saw Hawaizaada first, which was one of those beautifully filmed movies that made no sense at all. The only thing memorable was this very interesting actor playing the lead. I’ve been a fan ever since. Oh, and based on Asmita’s description, I am the female avatar of the internet god. Makes sense, since I have been using the ‘net since 1986 and computers since 1968. I may be past middle age in human terms, but in goddess years I might qualify for “middle aged”.

3. I really like Ayushmann! My favorite movie with him is probably Dum Laga Ke Haisha. I missed out on being able to see both Bareilly Ki Barfi and Shubh Mangal Saavdhan :/

I find it interesting that Varun is working with two directors that Ayushmann worked with (Shoojit Sircar & Sharat Katariya) and now Ayushmann is working with someone that Varun had worked with (Sriram Raghavan).

• Oh, that is kind of interesting! I would love it if Varun and Ayushmann end up being the Khans of the future, balancing the industry between them. It sure doesn’t look likely now, but that director thing almost points to it.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 2:52 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Honestly, one of the reasons I’ve liked Ayushmann so much is because I don’t see him as competition to Varun. So far he’s been in his own space of small budget movies while guys like Varun, Ranveer, Arjun, and even Sushant are doing movies that seem to be bigger.

By the way, did you ever end up watching Meri Pyaari Bindu? It wasn’t a great movie or anything but it did have some nice moments. Plus I really liked Ayushmann in it 🙂

• I didn’t see it, mostly because everyone i’ve heard from says some variation of what you just said. Not a great movie, Ayushmann is good. Just doesn’t seem worth giving up one of my 3 hour movie slots to it.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 9:50 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. I’ve only seen him in Meri Pyari Bindu but his other films seem interesting and Pani Da Rang is my jam! Nevertheless he seems like a really sweet and endearing person!

• His two films this year are both really good, you should check them out when you can.

On Sun, Sep 17, 2017 at 1:04 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote: