Happy Birthday Baby B! Twenty Reasons I Love You (4 More Than Last Year!)

A bit odd calling a 41 year old “baby”, but I am a sucker for alliteration, so I am sticking with it. (this is an updated and reposted post from last year)

1. I love you because you were conceived during Sholay, and therefore will always have a bit of the Sholay magic on you (although it was his big sister Shweta who “appeared” in Sholay, Abhi got to “attend” the post-production sessions and premiere).

2. I love you because you have so very many nicknames, and they are all fun!  “Junior B” “Abhi Baby” “Baby B” “AB”.  Really, just add “B” to anything, and it sounds good!

3. I love you because you are the only actor in India (except possibly Hrithik) who is actually taller than me.

4. I love you because of this song, from a very stupid movie, which was ripped off from a stupid American movie and stupid American pop song, but I don’t care because it is uber-catchy and he looks uber-cool singing it.  And also, I watched it on a loop one whole semester of college, so it always makes me feel young:

5. Speaking of songs I watched on a loop for a whole semester of college in which Abhishek is cool and the song is crazy catchy:

6. Really, faux hip-hop is where he shines.  Also, am I the only one who remembers this movie?  It was surprisingly good!  And felt very 24-like, in an “inspired by” way (this was at the height of the original 24 mania), which makes me want to watch the actual legitimate Indian 24 series and compare which evokes the original series best.

7. I love you because you are happy just to shine in ensemble pieces (see: the best parts of Happy New Year)

(Snake dance!  That joke almost single-handedly saves the whole movie)

8. I love you because, when you have to, you can actually act, not just be comic relief (see Guru, Sarkar, Yuva)

(No, really, see Guru!  He’s phenomenal in it)

9. I love you because your performances somehow always support your co-stars more than highlighting yourself.  Even Guru, completely centered on you, somehow also gave Aish and Mithun Chakraborty their all time best characters.

10.  I love you because, perhaps because of how generous you are to your co-stars onscreen, you were plagued by rumors of love affairs with each of them, rumors that you classily ignored.

11. I love you because when you finally got married, you kept it private and personal, despite the press circus outside.

12.  I love you because you have always taken your job as “Amitabh Bachchan’s son” more seriously than anything else, protecting his legacy and his health and his privacy.

13. I love you because you were wise enough not to try to take your father’s place, but rather to quietly dig out your own little corner of the film industry.

14.  I love you because you are married to “The Most Beautiful Woman in the World”, and yet you still have enough of your father’s star presence, that you can hold the screen opposite her.

15. Even in ensemble movies, you still have your own light (yes, this is Dus again.  I should really re-watch that!)

 

16.  I love you because this song is one of my guilty pleasures, Aish looks so graceful and wonderful and you look so gosh darn dopey.

 

17.  I love you because “Ranishek” is one of the all time great jodis.

 

18.  I love you because Bunty Aur Babli is one of the most imaginative and wonderful films ever to come out of Yash Raj Studios.

 

19.  I love you because you are, in a strange way, the heart and soul of the Dhoom movies.  Without you to ground them and tie it all together, they would be meaningless.

20.  And finally, the song that encapsulates all of his supportive ensemble abilities, his comfort with comedy, and his abilities in faux hip-hop.  And also, is so blatantly glaringly stupid that it swings back over to clever.  At least, I think so.

(I love the French people in the background!  So many berets!)

 

Advertisements

27 thoughts on “Happy Birthday Baby B! Twenty Reasons I Love You (4 More Than Last Year!)

  1. I love the way you love Abhichek…he seems to be such a kind soul with a not-at-all kind father and a totally frustrated mother and a rather cold wife… (maybe I’m totally wrong but that’s what I feel).
    i like him in every role I’ve seen him till now but especially the ones in ShahRukh’s movies (there seems to be an extra-sparkle in him).

    Liked by 2 people

  2. Yay for Ranishek–second only to Rani/SRK of course. I quite like interviews with Abhishek. I think he’s had to really come to terms with who he is to survive being Amitabh and Jaya’s boy, and while he doesn’t seem to enjoy interviews, he’s fairly open in them.

    The vibes between Aish and Abhi are cold cold cold in public. I just hope that isn’t a reflection of their home life. I’m glad they have a beautiful little girl together which surely gives them some common ground.

    Like

    • Aish always feels cold in public. So maybe it’s not Abhishek, but just how she is when the cameras are on her.

      On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 7:06 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Liked by 1 person

        • I would be very surprised if they got divorced, because Bachchans don’t divorce, and Aish is sooooooooooooo private about her personal life that I think she would have a big public thing like that. But I would not be surprised at all if in a few years, when Aaradha is a little older, they become all-but-divorced. Like Shweta Bachchan is now, nothing official but she is never seen with her husband and seems to live in Bombay while he lives in Delhi, and it’s been like that since their youngest was about 10. It would be a little harder to hide than Shweta’s situation, because Aish and Abhi are so closely followed by the press, but I bet they could do it. Announce that Aish and Abhi are getting a new apartment, they move in with a lot of fanfare, and then Aish quietly ends up living there alone while Abhi stays at his parents’ place and visits. Aish is still present at major family functions, Aaradha still spends time with her grandparents, no one gets remarried, but it would be understood among the industry that their marriage is essentially over.

          On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 10:33 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

          >

          Like

  3. I love how he can be both goofy and serious in interviews. He really does seem like a balanced good soul.

    My favorites of his are Raavan and Bol Bachchan. Completely different roles from menacing, going crazy, yet not without reason to double role comedy. He also seems to do gay in a way that respects personhood while playing with (Indian) society’s expectations. (Not that ours are often that much more advanced.)

    Like

    • My favorite interview I saw with him was when he and Aish were on Oprah. Aish was on her best behavior charming and smiley and extra extra trying hard, the way she always seems to be in Western interviews. And Abhi was just sort of slouching and clearly did not care. He wasn’t rude at all, but he also wasn’t over-awed or trying to charm. He knew who he was and who his family was and Oprah was nothing compared to that. He didn’t even try to correct or convey to Oprah how much bigger he was than Aish (not for himself, but because of who his parents were), he just sort of let it go like “the people who matter know who we are, I’m not going to lower myself by trying to explain”.

      On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 8:25 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

    • Yes, I really like how Dostana was handled in general. Abhishek through himself into his character, but in a way that felt slightly different from a stereotype, like you say, playing with expectations. I would love to see him do a straight up gay character with the same mannerisms of his Dostana and Bol Bachchan character, but with one speech to say explicitly “this is who I am and how I like to be in the world, but it doesn’t mean I am less of a person or my feelings are less valid”.

      Like

  4. Abhishek I liked best in Bol Bachchan. He was effortlessly hilarious.

    In emotional roles, you can see the lack of depth as a actor. He just hasn’t had the hard knocks that an actor make. He seems sensitive but that’s more like a result of being overshadowed by a legendary father. We saw the same thing with poor old Rohan Gavaskar.

    But in Bol Bachchan, he stole the show. He should have looked for such lightly dramatic or spoofy films.

    I think him marrying Aishwarya was a huge mistake for someone who never got famous on his own.

    He looked way more comfortable with Karisma.

    Like

    • Karisma and Abhishek still break my heart! She looked happier with him than anyone else too. Plus, of course, then if the genes!

      I keep waiting for Abhishek to realize he should focus on being a comic actor above all else. It’s not just that it is his best skill set, it’s that he is one of the best comics Hindi film has today. I really noticed it in Housefull 3, he was just hilarious, way funnier than Boman Irani or the other “progessional” comics. I want him to do that! Be our new Govinda!

      On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 11:20 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  5. so weird he has the best of the songs ..even in Drona ..i think a dip in his career started after Guru right when Jhoom Baraabar released..but i must say his flop films also have really good songs

    Like

    • I really like his movies post-Guru, which I think is a sign that I just like him better when he is slightly off from a traditional leading man. Because you are right, since then he tended to more ensemble roles.

      On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 12:32 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  6. Margaret! You’ve posted that link of Dus Bahane Karke Le Gaye Dil so many times now that the song gets stuck in my mind every time I see it 🙂

    I think my favorite Abhishek movie is Jhoom Barabar Jhoom. I still need to watch Guru…

    Like

    • I will never stop posting it! I love that song! It is almost the song version of the red sheets Shahrukh photo for me.

      Also, JBJ is right up there for me, but Bunty Aur Babli and Guru are pretty close too.

      On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 7:49 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

  7. Pingback: Tuesday Classics: Bunty Aur Babli, Abhishek’s Best Role and a Movie Like No Other | dontcallitbollywood

  8. I used to really like Abhishek until Guru, after that movie he and the entire family wanted him to take up more complex roles and that proved to be his undoing I think. Liked him in Dostana and Bluffmaster too, and was the best thing about KANK.
    I feel he never recovered from Raavan, he was just awful in it though the direction was also to be blamed as much for it. Watching the Tamil version convinced me that Ratnam shouldn’t make hindi movies, but he’ll probably disagree.

    Like

    • I don’t know, I think Ratnam might agree with you. He certainly avoids moving outside of Tamil as much as possible. One of the things I like about him, he had the option of going national, or maybe even international, and he decided to stay local.

      On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 1:55 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

      >

      Like

      • After reading “Conversations with Mani Ratnam” I don’t think so, I think he really wants to make more hindi movies just that he hasn’t gotten the commercial backing, hence he sticks to Tamil. He feels going to hindi gets him a more pan-Indian audience.

        Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s