A bit odd calling a 41 year old “baby”, but I am a sucker for alliteration, so I am sticking with it. (this is an updated and reposted post from last year)
1. I love you because you were conceived during Sholay, and therefore will always have a bit of the Sholay magic on you (although it was his big sister Shweta who “appeared” in Sholay, Abhi got to “attend” the post-production sessions and premiere).
2. I love you because you have so very many nicknames, and they are all fun! “Junior B” “Abhi Baby” “Baby B” “AB”. Really, just add “B” to anything, and it sounds good!
3. I love you because you are the only actor in India (except possibly Hrithik) who is actually taller than me.
4. I love you because of this song, from a very stupid movie, which was ripped off from a stupid American movie and stupid American pop song, but I don’t care because it is uber-catchy and he looks uber-cool singing it. And also, I watched it on a loop one whole semester of college, so it always makes me feel young:
5. Speaking of songs I watched on a loop for a whole semester of college in which Abhishek is cool and the song is crazy catchy:
6. Really, faux hip-hop is where he shines. Also, am I the only one who remembers this movie? It was surprisingly good! And felt very 24-like, in an “inspired by” way (this was at the height of the original 24 mania), which makes me want to watch the actual legitimate Indian 24 series and compare which evokes the original series best.
7. I love you because you are happy just to shine in ensemble pieces (see: the best parts of Happy New Year)
(Snake dance! That joke almost single-handedly saves the whole movie)
(No, really, see Guru! He’s phenomenal in it)
9. I love you because your performances somehow always support your co-stars more than highlighting yourself. Even Guru, completely centered on you, somehow also gave Aish and Mithun Chakraborty their all time best characters.
10. I love you because, perhaps because of how generous you are to your co-stars onscreen, you were plagued by rumors of love affairs with each of them, rumors that you classily ignored.
11. I love you because when you finally got married, you kept it private and personal, despite the press circus outside.
12. I love you because you have always taken your job as “Amitabh Bachchan’s son” more seriously than anything else, protecting his legacy and his health and his privacy.
13. I love you because you were wise enough not to try to take your father’s place, but rather to quietly dig out your own little corner of the film industry.
14. I love you because you are married to “The Most Beautiful Woman in the World”, and yet you still have enough of your father’s star presence, that you can hold the screen opposite her.
15. Even in ensemble movies, you still have your own light (yes, this is Dus again. I should really re-watch that!)
16. I love you because this song is one of my guilty pleasures, Aish looks so graceful and wonderful and you look so gosh darn dopey.
17. I love you because “Ranishek” is one of the all time great jodis.
18. I love you because Bunty Aur Babli is one of the most imaginative and wonderful films ever to come out of Yash Raj Studios.
19. I love you because you are, in a strange way, the heart and soul of the Dhoom movies. Without you to ground them and tie it all together, they would be meaningless.
20. And finally, the song that encapsulates all of his supportive ensemble abilities, his comfort with comedy, and his abilities in faux hip-hop. And also, is so blatantly glaringly stupid that it swings back over to clever. At least, I think so.
(I love the French people in the background! So many berets!)