Dog Report (with some film interspersed)

It’s Sunday, I already put up my fanfic, nothing is going on, might as well fill out the day with another doggie post.  Feel free to ignore if you have no doggie interest.

Well, the temporary dog has started her heartworm treatment.  I always sort of vaguely knew about heartworm as “that thing we had to give the dogs pills for on a regular basis” but I never really knew what it was.  And now I am fostering a dog with heartworm, so I know.  And it is EXACTLY what it sounds like.  She literally has worms in her heart.

Image result for prabhas puppy

(I was going to put a photo of heartworms here, but it is way too gross.  So instead check out Ram Charam with puppies)

The treatment for heartworm is real simple too, you give the dog two incredibly painful shots right into her spine.  The shots are full of poison which kill the heartworms!  Easy-peasy!

(Poison pills!  Just like the subtitles say the boys are singing about the girls here)

There’s only two problems with this.  First, you can’t explain to the dog that there is a reason you are hurting her and she will feel better soon and so on.  She just knows that she feels way sicker than she used to.

20180203_201716.jpg

And second, after the shots kill the worms, they are in fact more dangerous than before.  Because the dead worms are now sitting there inside of her heart and there is no way to get them out.  She has to be kept very very still for a week until her body absorbs them (ewwwwww!) so that her heart rate doesn’t go up and pump the worms somewhere else and form a clot.

(Kangana at the end of this song, that’s what could happen)

So today she had her second shot, and now I have to give her a complicated series of pills for 28 days, and keep her very very still, and then she will be cured!  And all ready to be adopted by someone else.

(Bonus: I get to give her pills in peanut butter, which means I get to watch her eat peanut butter, which is hilarious)

Here’s my big fear, that I will end up settling instead of giving her back. I’m still not in love with this dog, but I know myself, I am a settler.  A “well, this is good enough, I should just live with it” kind of person.  I’m very very picky, until I get worn down, and then I just take anything.  So, I am telling everyone in my life (including you nice blog people), don’t let me do it!!!!!  It will just lead to heartache when, years later, I meet the dog that I was really meant to be with and destroy all our lives.

(I am Ranveer in this scenario, and current dog is Priyanka.  Just think how much pain could have been avoided if Ranveer had just said “no” to marriage and been single when he met Deepika!)

17 thoughts on “Dog Report (with some film interspersed)

1. Can you please email me her details and maybe the cute little video of you petting her? I have some friends in the Chicago area, and my mom who is in W. Ohio, who are looking to adopt an adult doggie. I can post her information on Facebook if you like.

Stay firm–especially with the shelter–don’t let them hear any weakness in your voice! Hope doggie’s heartworm is gone soon. Poor baby.

• I don’t think this Dog will have any problem getting adopted. The shelter she is in has a high turnover, dozens of adoptions a week, and everyone in the city is looking for small dogs. But, if it is hard for her to get adopted in a few weeks when she is ready to be adopted, I will keep your offer in mind!

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 3:37 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

2. If you want to avoid her getting exhausted by licking peanut butter, cream cheese works just as well for hiding pills but is not as funny.

Steve Colbert tells the story of the women he didn’t marry. When asked by his mother if he was sure he wanted to marry the woman, he said, “I don’t know.” His mother said, “”I don’t know” isn’t good enough.”

I think you got the same thing going on with the dog. On the other hand, what if the next dog is worse! Too bad you can’t date the dog for a couple years before you have to make up your mind. Of course, as we know from Indian movies, many successful coupling started with arranged meetings (and life-threatened disease!)

Good luck!

• Nope, gonna stay firm! “good enough” isn’t good enough for a 10+ year commitment.

Ooo, I have cream cheese! Randomly left over from a recipe. I may switch to that just to use it up.

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 4:03 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. Ugh, heartworms look like spaghetti clogging the heart and now that may ruin pasta for me forever, yuck.

She is such a sweetie. I’m sure she’ll get snapped up and you’ll find the right pet. I’ve had so many animals over the years and most are good pets but there’s always a few who are just special and it’s wonderful when that happens.

• Yep, that’s what I’m looking for, “special”. Our last family dog was not special, and did not have to be, we just wanted a dog around the house to have a dog around the house. But if I’m going to be living alone with this dog for the next decade, I want someone special who I want to build my life with, you know? Doesn’t matter if it takes a while to find her, it’ll be worth it.

And also, yes!!!! Heartworms are SO GROSS!!!! I am so sorry I googled images and so glad the poor little doggie is getting treated.

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 5:07 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

4. Do it Margaret! Keep her!! Look at that face! She’s everything you wanted already. You’ll learn that you love her when you’ve already given her away anyway. Why not love her right now?? Love her. LOVE HER!!! She already trusts you.

Plus, it’s a dog. If you find “the one” later, you can her or him too! Dogs aren’t boys who break your heart. Dogs are dogs.

• No! I won’t give in and have an arranged relationship, I’m holding out for True Love! I want love at first sight with the slow motion and the background music and the whole thing. The dog equivalent of Shahrukh seeing Kajol for the first time in K3G.

Also, my landlord says I can’t have two dogs. If I had a house, I would totally just keep this dog and keep looking for “the one”, but I don’t have that option, if I keep this dog, this is my only dog for the next 8-10 years. I am stuck with serial monogamy, and why spend 10 years with someone who is just a time pass while you wait for true love?

From the dog’s perspective, I’m just the nice warm kind person who gets her through the heartbreak of having lost her first family, and sends her on her way heart-whole and happy when it is over. Vyjantimala to her Raj Kapoor.

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 8:37 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yes, I will give her up, feel a strange emptiness, which will be filled first by my young and sexy new dog, and then by that dog’s puppy after she dies. And finally, years later, I will be walking the puppy, she will suddenly break free of the leash, run across the park, and bring me back to this dog, the forgotten dog of my youth. And then we will dance together in a gazebo.

Think of it this way, this dog is the most adoptable dog in the world. I want a slightly more interesting and challenging dog, so I can feel like we built a real bond. This dog, the sick dog, gets the advantage of Margaret-with-the-soft-heart while she is sick, and then can move on to the many many families who will want her. Meanwhile, I will find my “real” dog who will be more interesting and complicated and needy. Like Shahrukh in DDLJ! Difficult and hard to know, but totally loyal and smart and charming and wonderful in the end. But not totally messed up, I don’t want one of those abused or puppy mill dogs like Sanjay in Khalnayak.

On Sun, Feb 4, 2018 at 9:38 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• i want to watch this film so bad!!!!!!!!! girl meets dog that she let go and finds her again and dances in a gazebo with the dog!!!! THIS is the film we NEED!!!!!

I dont think we’ve had a dog-centric film after Teri Meharbaniyan.

• Ok I just told my mom about this exchange and she called you a “poori filmi balika!” hahahahaha

PS, just started reading the dog fanfic and I was immediately reminded of this ad which had raza murad voiceover for a dog. I Dont remember what the ad was about (I wanna say insurance but I’m not sure that’s it), I’ll try to find it but it had this really witty exchange with the dog (Raza murad) giving advice and then at the end of it, his malkin says *dog name*, behave like a dog! and Raza murad the dog says “OK, bhauu!” LOL

5. Thanks for the update and…the banter later 🙂

As you have already given your heart to another dog (a – till now – not met one) I figure that you are just a kind nurse to this one (which is nice but not meant for a long time)…in any way – follow your heart 🙂 (btw – seriously – I don’t pcture you with such a short-legged one)

• I didn’t picture me with such a short legged one either! I’m so tall, seems like the dog should be at least slightly bigger.

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 1:34 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. Pingback: Dog Update (I Know At Least Some of You are Fascinated) | dontcallitbollywood