Aamir Day Discussion Post: Best and Worst Film, Your Votes?

A couple of people responded to me on twitter arguing that Parampara was not, in fact, Aamir’s worst film and giving other options.  And they were all valid!  The man has been in A LOT of bad movies!  And also, a lot of good movies.  Anyway, what do you think?  Best and worst?

“Worst” Current Contenders:

Ishq

Tum Mere Ho

Love Love Love

Parampara

Mela

Daulat Ki Jung

But don’t limit yourself!  If there is another movie which I have not listed which is, to you, the worst film of Aamir’s filmography, the one that you have an urge to remind him about any time he talks about the “quality” he tries to maintain, feel free to mention it!

“Best” film contenders:

Talaash

3 Idiots

Rang De Basanti

Lagaan

Dangal

Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak

Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander

Again, don’t limit yourself!  There were the first that sprung to mind for me, but feel free to pull out something a little more out there for your “best film Aamir has ever been in” choice.

31 thoughts on “Aamir Day Discussion Post: Best and Worst Film, Your Votes?

1. Mela drove Twinkle out of acting and got her to marry Akshay so that has to be the worst by default, right? Tum Mere Ho is terrible but it’s campy bad, not bad bad.

Fave Aamir performance is Talaash. Favorite movie Aamir appears in is Rang de Basanti. Lagaan is meh for me, not terrible but it doesn’t have the je ne sais quoi that makes me love Aamir.

I cannot find a legal subtitled copy of Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikander, it’s driving me nuts.

2. In my opinion movies like Tum Mere Ho can’t be judged in “bad” or “good” category. I understand – there was other mentality, and the way the movies were made in the 80′ but Holy Cow, what they were thinking?

And for the best – I have seen only few Aamir movies, but I think I liked Rang the Basanti most.

And what you all think about Mangal Pandey: The Rising. Good or bad? It has Toby Stephens, so I think it can’t be bad.

• I’m sorry, Mangal Panday is ALL BAD. Well, the teaser trailer was really good, but the film itself, for me, is ALL BAD. In fact might be in the running as my “Worst” Aamir. If we remove the Tum Mere Hos and Ishqs as being sort of fun-bad, and limit it to just the overwrought boring dull bad.

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 3:20 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

3. I haven’t seen any of Amir’s bad films.

So amongst what I’ve seen…

Best film = Rang de Basanti
    Maybe, for me, the best and most original Hindi movie ever, from a narrative storytelling technique POV at least. Plus it introduced many of us to Maddy, Siddhartha, Atul, Kunal, and Soha.

Worst film = PK
    What the heck was that even?
    Almost a stream of consciousness film?
    Can you post a review for PK too? I’d love to see your analysis.

Honorable mentions

The single most effective social message movie of the 21st century – Taara Zameen Per.
    This one movie completely transformed social awareness and understanding of a condition that many didn’t even realize existed. And it transformed young Indian parents to be much more clued in to mental differences in their children.

The only movie ever where I had tears streaming down my face for the entire film – Secret Superstar.

Best acting job? That’s tough, I find he either overreacts or underacts, and he rarely draws me in. I usually like his movies but am neutral on him and his role, I usually like his costars more. Maybe QSQT, perfect as the young chocolate hero.

Finally, of the 3 khans, he’s been the best at reinventing himself at the right time and the right phases of his career, never overstaying his welcome at any particular phase. He’s like the Madonna of the Khans.

• Really interesting choices all around. Couldn’t agree more about Rang De. Have you seen Mirzya? It’s a fascinating comparison, because it has all the brilliant narrative storytelling leap forwards without a story worthy of them, or a cast. So in a way, it makes you appreciate the narrative techniques more, because they aren’t hidden by all the other splashy things.

I have to confess, I’ve never been able to rewatch PK, so I don’t know if I even could write about it. My first impression, seeing it in the theater, was a similar “what WAS that?” and also a strong suspicion that Sanju’s jail term seriously messed with the original idea of the film. His character didn’t have nearly enough impact, and the film felt strangely unbalanced with too much focus on Aamir and not enough on the people around him. Which was the exact pitfall Raju avoided with 3 Idiots, making it really about all 3 central characters, plus plenty of others around the edges, not just Aamir.

Best acting job, for me, I’d have to go with either Dil Chahta Hai, Rang De, or Talaash. Oooo! Or maybe Rangeela! It’s the roles where he is just playing a person, no big handicap, no unusual tragedy, that work best for me.

You are completely right about him reinventing. He is so good at it that people forget he does it, there was that Anupama article a few weeks back where she referred to him as “always” being what he is now, the perfectionist actor. Completely forgetting the first half of his career as the loverboy type.

• In every decade of his life, he’s moved into the kind of roles and taken on the kind of projects that were appropriate for that decade of his life. Maybe 3 Idiots was the exception, then again that whole cast was pretty old. As such, i think he’s neve had a down phase to his career.

I’ll have to agree with you about DCH. While I was swept away by Akshaye and Dimple, Aamir exuded the requisite charisma for the role, made me believe in him as the character. He’s probably never looked more handsome, either.

Besides loverboy phase, he’s also had “indie” phase (lagaan, dch rdb, talaash) and arthouse phase (dhobie ghat, peepli live), and his equivalent of action hero (ghajini, dhoom 3, pk), and now his middle aged roles (dangal, SS, thugs).

4. In every decade of his life, he’s moved into the kind of roles and taken on the kind of projects that were appropriate for that decade of his life. Maybe 3 Idiots was the exception, then again that whole cast was pretty old. As such, i think he’s neve had a down phase to his career.

Besides loverboy phase, he’s also had “indie” phase (lagaan, dch rdb, talaash) an arthouse phase (dhobie ghat, peepli live, earth), his equivalent of action hero (ghajini, dhoom 3, pk), and now his middle aged roles (dangal, SS, thugs).

• My big fear is that Thugs will be a regression, back to the action hero when he is really too old for it. Or maybe it will be looking forward, to his Mahabharata, Aamir as part of an epic story.

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:37 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

5. I haven’t seen any of the mentioned worst Aamir films except Ishq, which I kinda like because I watched it as a kid and enjoyed the songs and the slapstick humor. I stop watching after the whole melodrama of suspecting Aamir and Kajol starts.
    Regarding the best Aamir films, I enjoyed most of his films post 2000 – Dil Chahta hai, Lagaan, Taare Zameen Par, Ghajini, 3 idiots, PK, Dangal and even Mangal Pandey, coz I’m a history buff.
    His success rate is astonishing.

• I keep waiting for Aamir to have another flop. I actually think it would be good for him, and for the film industry in general. There’s this assumption/perception now that everything Aamir does is high quality, which isn’t actually true, as we were saying in another comment exchange, PK had some serious problems. I want him to have a flop, critical and commercial, so that the audience and the critics will go back to assessing his films based on their real quality, not their perceived quality.

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 12:16 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

6. Surprise, neither you nor anyone in the comments mentioned “Rangeela”. I rate Rangeela as the best of Aamir, followed by TZP, DCH, RDB. I was not that impressed with his performances in Ghajini and 3 Idiots. I also like his 90’s movies of Andaaz Apna Apna & Dil Hai Ke Manta Nahin

Worst – Again surprised none mentioned Dhoom3, Ghula, Dil,

• I think I mentioned Rangeela as a potential best acting performance in one of the comments. I wouldn’t give it as best film overall, but his performance is excellent.

Ghulam I like! I would put that as one of his best movies, and best acting performances.

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 1:06 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

7. I’ve by no means seen all of Aamir’s films — I got turned off of him pretty fast, so avoided most of the early films. Also I was warned away from many of his “worst”, so I was spared that trauma. Of the ones I’ve seen, I’d say the best film was — well, is it Andaz Apna Apna or Taare Zameen par? I don’t really think of AAA as an “Aamir” film — it’s more of a multi-starrer. OTOH, Aamir’s presence pretty much ruined TZH for me, and I’d call it really a Darsheel film. And the film had some flaws, mainly due to Aamir’s taking over the direction. Funny, I was all set to say TZH when I came here, but now I think I’ll have to give it to AAA, simply because it’s an absolutely flawless film, perfect in every moment.

As for worst, again of the ones I’ve seen, I’d have to give it to Dhoom 3. I saw it on dvd, and it took me over a week to finish, some times in does of only ten minutes each. Only Katrina’s dances kept me going, and I really enjoyed Uday Chopra’s acting. Yes! Aamir ruined the film for me with his over studied acting, and yet undoubtedly it’s an Aamir film.

I want to put in a word for Ishq. I don’t know why so many people hate it. I found it quite fun in a silly way, and only didn’t care for the melodrama post interval. But then that showed me Juhi’s dramatic acting skills, so I was pleased enough. It’s just that I would have rather kept laughing all the way through, and the comedic parts had some real creativity to the comedy, while the “sad” part was pretty much the routine and cliched story and plotting.

• I saw Dhoom 3 in theaters, which was really the best way. Because you couldn’t pause when things got draggy, you had to just power through and get it over with. Also, I had the extra level of spotting all the familiar landmarks since it was filmed in Chicago. But since then I’ve tried to watch it at home, and it’s really hard to get through! I end up just fast-forwarding through a lot of it.

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 3:08 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Dhoom 3 certainly wasn’t any different from what I was expecting, but I don’t like Dhoom movies that much as a whole. If I am in the right mood, absolutely! But not otherwise.

Oh! And you HAVE to watch Tashan!!!!! I think I just recommended it to you for sexy Akshay, but I forgot it is also written and directed by the guy who made Dhoom 3, and who is currently making Thugs. And the script is sooooooooo clever. Also, you get to see the Saif-Kareena chemistry, this is the film where they fell in love. And the much more potent Akshay-Saif chemistry. It’s so strong and popular, people are already excited about their sons possibly acting together.

On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 10:13 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• For me, i really like dhoom 1 and 2 way more than dhoom 3 because dhoom 1 & 2 felt like multi starrer ensemble pieces but D3 felt like the Aamir show (with occasional Katrina breaks).