Early Rani Birthday Present! Ranishek Fanvids!

It is a truth universally acknowledged that Rani and Abhishek had the better chemistry together than either of them had with any other co-star.  So, in honor of Rani’s birthday, let us take a look at that chemistry in fanvid form!

I don’t usually put in fanvids with real world clips because I find it WEIRD, but Rani and Abishek really were adorable together on and off screen.

They have to share this one with SRKajol, but it’s not because I am SRKajol obsessed, it’s because this is a really nice one and worth if for just the 50% that is Ranishek.

I nice happy simple one!  Their chemistry was always this wonderful combination of childish happiness and sexiness.

And then it all went terribly terribly wrong!

To end the fanvids, something happy!  I do love a Taylor Swift-Hindi film mashup.

Moving on from fanvids, let us remember the crazy good Ranishek chemistry in the actual real songs they had together!

First movie together, back before Abhishek really had his hair figured out, but their chemistry was already amazing.

And then they totally changed for their next romantic film, went rough and sexy instead of young and innocent.

Honestly not sure if this song or the last one is peak Ranishek sexiness.

But somehow this is my favorite of all their songs together!  It combines the silly fun time with the high energy intelligent teasing with that moment in the middle that is super romantic.

28 thoughts on “Early Rani Birthday Present! Ranishek Fanvids!

1. Rani and Abhishek, in my opinion, are both at a very similar level of stardom — which I think adds to the ease and comfort in which they appear to work together.

• I think I get what you are saying. There was no need to compete for screentime, for the films to be written towards one or the other of them, it was perfectly equal and non-competitive. They could both relax and let the other shine scene by scene knowing they would have an equal turn later.

I feel like today Ranveer and Deepika and Ranbir and Deepika feel so good together for similar reasons. And it’s part of the reason I wish Anushka would work with more younger stars instead of the older big names.

• I feel like it might be because Rani can so easily handle the serious emotional part of a couple. So Abhishek can be really really goofy in response. Maybe that’s why I like that last song so much? Rani is all serious and Abhishek is being super goofy to get her to open up.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 11:57 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Family story: a family-member-who-shall-remain-nameless always read Stout’s spelling of “phooey” (“pfui”) as “pah-fooee”.

Is this because you think SRK and Rani were better? Surely not because you are speaking up for Abhi and Aish! Because that would be INSANITY!

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 1:16 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Love it! I think that Ranishek and SRK/Rani are tied. Ranishek certainly beats the pants off of any other pairings I’ve seen Abhishek in, but I haven’t seen that many of his movies. I did like him with Aish in Guru (Aishabhi? Aishishek? Abhiwarya?), but there wasn’t the same magic as with Rani.

• I think “Abhiwarya” is the way to go, because it has the kind of mushy unclear sound that is what I feel about their screen partnership.

I just took a spin through Abhishek’s filmography, and he has a lot of one off partnerships, but Aish and Rani are the only ones he kept coming back to. I really liked him with Aish in both Guru and Kuch Na Kaho, but I still like Ranishek better. I also liked him with Bhoomika in Run and Preity in Jhoom Barabar Jhoom.

On the other hand, I like Rani with basically everybody! And she seems to create a unique connection with each costar. The way she is with Aamir is different than how she is with Shahrukh or Salman or Bobby Deol or anyone else.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 1:35 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Yep! Big big THING over it. I cover it on this post here: https://dontcallitbollywood.com/2017/01/03/hindi-film-101-kapoor-family-part-iii-the-randhir-branch-karisma-and-kareena-and-babita/#more-62264

If you are new to the blog/Hindi film, let me toot my own horn a little and recommend the 101 posts as a great resource. You probably don’t want to try to read them all straight through, but if you look at the list, most of the big stars are covered and you can refer back any time you have questions. The full index is here and I try to keep it updated: https://dontcallitbollywood.com/2017/12/04/hindi-film-101-index/

• Agreed about Rani creating unique connections. She may be the female equivalent of what Farah says about Shah Rukh, “if I say have chemistry with that chair, he will have chemistry with that chair also.” 🙂

Abhishek and Preity had good chemistry in KANK, which bordered nicely on friendly/flirty. To the extent that I remember on my first watch of KANK thinking that they might be headed toward an affair also, which would have been SO trite!

• Have you seen Jhoom Barabar Jhoom yet? If not, I highly HIGHLY recommend it. Just in general, but it is also kind of a perfect chemistry example for Preity and Abhishek. Abhishek is at his maximum goofy confidentness, and Preity at her maximum carefree modern woman and they merge together perfectly, only Abhishek would be cocky enough to think he could hit on this woman, and only Preity would be uncaring what other people think enough to fall in love with this somewhat strange man.

Or maybe you won’t like it after all, or have seen it and didn’t like it, in which case you can correct me.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 3:19 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Oh, my gosh! In all the years and all the books of my Rex Stout reading, I always thought “pfui” was just an attempt to phonetically render the sound of an almost spit. Thanks for clearing up the mystery. 🙂

What I really came here to say was: No blog post for Spring Equinox? I am surprised.

• Oops, forgot it! Oh well, I don’t need a song post excuse today because I’ve already got Rani. All save spring songs for Easter, plus “My Name is Anthony Gonsalves” of course.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 4:25 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Have you seen the TV version of Nero Wolfe done by A&E? (when they had more than “Ice Road Truckers”, or “World’s Most Dangerous X or Y” in their line-up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Nero_Wolfe_Mystery. Many of the episodes are on YouTube.

I love the way the lead actors, Maury Chaykin and Timothy Hutton, embody Nero and Archie. It’s a strong ensemble cast, with many of the actors coming back to play different characters in different stories. It’s filmed and written more like a stage play in some ways. The period costumes, cars, way of speaking, etc, is really fun though I can’t say how authentic.

Here’s a little scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HszQwf_76w

And here’s a nicer one. Til it’s not: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS5GM_APfY4

• I know this was directed at Moimeme, but just jumping in to say that my family was so excited when that A&E series started and watched every episode as soon as it aired. Our general consencus was that every actor was perfect, except Maury Chaykin. Somehow he was too loud and excitable for our mental version of Wolfe. But Timothy Hutton was brilliant, and perfect, and I somehow have the impression that the show was his brainchild, which makes sense because he does the role so well, I could believe he wanted to produce the whole thing just because he knew it was the role he was born to play.

Also, totally going to indulge myself and do a one off remake on Sunday. Even if it is just the 3 of us spitballing casting ideas (Dips as Lily Rowan?) it will still be fun.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 6:58 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Love! I can see how you might feel that way about Maury Chaykin. He is more over the top than in the books. But for me, that works for a TV show, and also works with Archie, Fritz, and the other ensemble players.

I was glad they kept his misogyny–like truly, he perceives women as another species and that makes him irritable, uncomfortable, etc. But usually doesn’t get in the way of him figuring out the case.

• I also like how they managed to put in Archie’s reaction to the misogyny even in the TV show through his narration and reaction shots. That makes all the difference, he sees it as a weakness in Wolfe, not a strength, and is proven right again and again when Archie’s interest in women and ability to see them as people helps solve a case.

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 8:23 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• True! And the women actors in the ensemble are amazing! Hubby has a massive crush on Kari Matchett. 🙂 I like Debra Monk–her comedic timing is amazing but she can bring the drama too.

2. Fun post! They are one of my favorite pairings and I totally agree that their chemistry together was the best than either had with others. And for me they are an all time great jodi. Such nice variety in their on-screen appearances together. Not many jodis get to do such a variety of kinds of roles opposite each other.

• Excellent point! To have Yuva where they are drawn together in an unhealthy passionate connection and also Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, where their probably is a total lack of passion, and throwing in the Hum-Tum cameo in which they are friends who sensibly choose to fall in love, it is all such a mix!

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 7:43 PM, dontcallitbollywood wrote:

• Aaja Nachle is a good one for Madhuri and hot hot Kunal, and super charming Akshaye Khanna, and an early minor Irrfan performance, and there is also a blink-and-you-miss-him Nawazuddin Siddiqui, but the most useful thing is that in the middle of it we get to see their village show version of Laila-Majnu, which is a painless way for you to learn one of the primary myths of Indian/Middle Eastern culture. Once you see it, you will start to notice Laila-Majnu traces in all kinds of movies.

• Gee, it’s not like you have kids and a dog and a husband and a full time job, I don’t know why you can’t just watch everything I recommend to you immediately!

On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 7:06 AM, dontcallitbollywood wrote: