Happy Birthday Dimple! I cannot BELIEVE you are 61! You are still the most elegant, the classiest, the coolest lady in Hindi film. Here are 15 reasons I love you, one for every year you were alive when Bobby came out and made you a superstar. (this is a reposted and updated post from last year)
1. I love you because, you were only 15 when you made Bobby! That’s unbelievable! You were so sweet and innocent onscreen, but also so confident and capable, I was sure you were at least 18.
2. I love you because you married Rajesh Khanna at 16, stealing him away from not just his longtime girlfriend, but all the other girls of India who were passionately in love with him.
3. I love you because you were a teenage mother to your two girls, but manage to rise to the occasion and provide them with a happy and stable home.
4. I love you because once your girls no longer needed you as much, you went back to work with no hesitation or guilt.
5. I love you because for your first time onscreen after over a decade away, you had no problem showing even more skin than before, and accommodating the new norms of the day.
6. I love you because you made this song look somehow both sexy and innocent.
7. I love you because you came back in the 80s to make this song look sexy, and like you knew exactly what you were doing.
8. Although you could also nail the quieter songs.
9. I love you because you had your second come back in the 2000s, when you made it completely believable that much younger Akshaye Khanna could fall in love with you.
10. And you followed that up with your third big launch/re-launch movie opposite Rishi Kapoor, in which you got to dance with Baby Spice!
11. I love you because you very quietly left your husband when you had enough of his affairs.
12. I love you because you even more quietly started an affair of your own, which has been going strong for over 30 years now.
13. I love you because you supported your daughters when they wanted to act, when they wanted to quite acting, when they wanted to do whatever they wanted to do next.
14. I love you because you moved back in and cared for your husband in his final illness.
15. I love you because you were the heart and soul of one of my new favorite movies (Patiala House), which also let you act opposite your son-in-law who clearly adores you.
(for more Dimple coverage, check out the Hindi Film 101 series on the whole Khanna-Kapadia-Kumar family)